PDA

View Full Version : charting questions

Anonymama
June 23rd 05, 03:51 PM
We've been TTC'ing #2 for a few months, and I'm about to start charting.
I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:

- is it okay to use an ear thermometer instead of an oral one?

- I'm on Zoloft and get awful night sweats. Is this going to effect my
temperature and charting?

- I don't want to have to set an alarm to take my temp. at exactly the
same time each day (I need my sleep!). Is this going to make my chart
less accurate? How flexible can the time be?

Thanks.

Andrea S
June 23rd 05, 04:48 PM
"Anonymama" wrote...

> We've been TTC'ing #2 for a few months, and I'm about to start charting.
> I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:
>
> - is it okay to use an ear thermometer instead of an oral one?
>
> - I'm on Zoloft and get awful night sweats. Is this going to effect my
> temperature and charting?
>
> - I don't want to have to set an alarm to take my temp. at exactly the
> same time each day (I need my sleep!). Is this going to make my chart
> less accurate? How flexible can the time be?
>
> Thanks.

I charted for 9 months because we wanted another baby girl... our last 3
were boys. You need to use an ear thermometer, and I also used
www.fertilityfriend.com to help me chart.

I am expecting our baby girl Anya who was concieved on the first month of
trying. I am not sure about the sweats, but try an take your temp in the
morning at the same time each day, as you will get a much clearer chart.
Don't forget to monitor your vaginal secretions too.

Best of luck!

Andrea mom of 4 boys 1girl and baby girl Anya due 15th October.

Andrea S
June 23rd 05, 04:54 PM
"Andrea S"

> I charted for 9 months because we wanted another baby girl... our last 3
> were boys. You need to use an ear thermometer, and I also used
> www.fertilityfriend.com to help me chart.

SORRY do not use an ear one you really do need to used an oral, you can buy
a BBT one from most chemists. My preggo brain!!!

Anonymama
June 23rd 05, 05:20 PM
In article >,
"Andrea S" > wrote:

> "Andrea S"
>
> > I charted for 9 months because we wanted another baby girl... our last 3
> > were boys. You need to use an ear thermometer, and I also used
> > www.fertilityfriend.com to help me chart.
>
> SORRY do not use an ear one you really do need to used an oral, you can buy
> a BBT one from most chemists. My preggo brain!!!

I thought that was what you meant! I have a digital oral (that sounds
wrong) thermometer -- that'll do it, right?
--
Mom to Firecracker (age 2 1/2), TTC'ing #2

sanojyo
June 23rd 05, 06:38 PM
Toni Weschler's Take Charge of Your Fertility (a wealth of TTC
information that helped me get pregnant - I'm about 7 weeks now)
recommends using an oral digital or regular thermometer.

I used a BD Basal (digital) every morning. I'm not too sure about the
impact of Zoloft and night sweats, but on days where DH left the window
open (he loves a cool bedroom), there were times when my temp readings
would dip. Electric blankets, lack of continuous sleep etc. are also
factors that may impact readings.

As for waking up the same time each day - that is pretty hard... so if
I woke up earlier or later, I just noted it on my chart. For every 30
minutes (or hour - you might want to check TCOYF) that you sleep in,
your temp does rise by one-tenth or something. But give or take an
hour, the readings shouldn't be too different. I was able to read my
chart correctly even thought I woke up at 7am, 7:15am, 6am and at other
times during the week.

I highly recommend TCOYF!

Sanojyo

Anonymama wrote:
> We've been TTC'ing #2 for a few months, and I'm about to start charting.
> I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:
>
> - is it okay to use an ear thermometer instead of an oral one?
>
> - I'm on Zoloft and get awful night sweats. Is this going to effect my
> temperature and charting?
>
> - I don't want to have to set an alarm to take my temp. at exactly the
> same time each day (I need my sleep!). Is this going to make my chart
> less accurate? How flexible can the time be?
>
> Thanks.

Mogget
June 23rd 05, 06:44 PM
In message >, Anonymama
> writes
>We've been TTC'ing #2 for a few months, and I'm about to start charting.
>I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:
>
>- is it okay to use an ear thermometer instead of an oral one?

I think not. What you want is your core temperature, and neither
aurally nor orally is going to give you that. Vaginally or rectally
will both do, but FFS do one or the other; don't mix them up with the
same thermometer =8-/

>- I'm on Zoloft and get awful night sweats. Is this going to effect my
>temperature and charting?

No idea, sorry. I'm on Zoloft too but don't get sweats.

>- I don't want to have to set an alarm to take my temp. at exactly the
>same time each day (I need my sleep!). Is this going to make my chart
>less accurate? How flexible can the time be?

For me it makes very little difference.

Suggest going to http://ovusoft.com/ & giving the software a free
download. Amongst the things it does is make automatic adjustments for
temp depending on the time taken.

--
Mogget

Andrea S
June 23rd 05, 07:20 PM
"Anonymama" said

> I thought that was what you meant! I have a digital oral (that sounds
> wrong) thermometer -- that'll do it, right?
> --
> Mom to Firecracker (age 2 1/2), TTC'ing #2

Yes I would think so.

Andrea.

Anonymama
June 23rd 05, 08:50 PM
In article . com>,
"sanojyo" > wrote:

> Toni Weschler's Take Charge of Your Fertility (a wealth of TTC
> information that helped me get pregnant - I'm about 7 weeks now)
> recommends using an oral digital or regular thermometer.
>
> I used a BD Basal (digital) every morning. I'm not too sure about the
> impact of Zoloft and night sweats, but on days where DH left the window
> open (he loves a cool bedroom), there were times when my temp readings
> would dip. Electric blankets, lack of continuous sleep etc. are also
> factors that may impact readings.
>
> As for waking up the same time each day - that is pretty hard... so if
> I woke up earlier or later, I just noted it on my chart. For every 30
> minutes (or hour - you might want to check TCOYF) that you sleep in,
> your temp does rise by one-tenth or something. But give or take an
> hour, the readings shouldn't be too different. I was able to read my
> chart correctly even thought I woke up at 7am, 7:15am, 6am and at other
> times during the week.
>
> I highly recommend TCOYF!

Thanks for the info. I'm on the waiting list for TCOYF at my library --
me and forty other people...
--
Mom to Firecracker (age 2 1/2), TTC'ing #2

Anonymama
June 23rd 05, 08:52 PM
Mogget wrote:

> Vaginally or rectally
> will both do, but FFS do one or the other; don't mix them up with the
> same thermometer =8-/

What a way to start the day...

> No idea, sorry. I'm on Zoloft too but don't get sweats.

You're lucky. It's _disgusting_.

> >- I don't want to have to set an alarm to take my temp. at exactly the
> >same time each day (I need my sleep!). Is this going to make my chart
> >less accurate? How flexible can the time be?
>
> For me it makes very little difference.

Good to hear. I guess this is the sort of thing I'll learn as I go along.

> Suggest going to http://ovusoft.com/ & giving the software a free
> download. Amongst the things it does is make automatic adjustments for
> temp depending on the time taken.

Windows only, bah! But still, thanks -- I'll see if I can find something
like that for my computer, or I'll use Fertility Friend as someone else
recommended.
--
Mom to Firecracker (age 2 1/2), TTC'ing #2

V.
June 23rd 05, 08:57 PM
"Anonymama" > wrote in message
> We've been TTC'ing #2 for a few months, and I'm about to start charting.
> I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:
>
> - is it okay to use an ear thermometer instead of an oral one?
>
> - I'm on Zoloft and get awful night sweats. Is this going to effect my
> temperature and charting?
>
> - I don't want to have to set an alarm to take my temp. at exactly the
> same time each day (I need my sleep!). Is this going to make my chart
> less accurate? How flexible can the time be?
>
> Thanks.

Definitely get "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Wechsler (often
abbrev. TCOYF) for the best info on charting.

You will need an oral thermometer, I think digital is easier. I found that
a regular digital wasn't accurate enough to catch my 0.5 deg temp increase
and only a basal body thermometer (BBT) would work.

After you establish your pattern, I didn't feel it necessary to wake up at
the same time every day. If I slept in an hour, I expected an increase in
temp and didn't attribute it to O. I couldn't do this too close to my
expected O time because it would mask the actual increase date though. In
fact, once I got really reliable with it I would skip the first week or so
of the cycle since I knew it would stay regular through that week.
Not sure about the night sweats. I have nightmares sometimes and wake up
sweaty and that would increase my temp, but I'm not sure if Zoloft sweats
work the same way.

You can go to www.pregnancy.org for free charting analysis, but I thought it
was difficult to use. TCOYF has it's own charting software at www.tcoyf.com
but it costs $39.95. I liked paper and pen for the most part.

Good luck!
Amy V.
EDD 11/25/05 <--- used charting to help time IUIs.

sharalyns
June 23rd 05, 09:29 PM
Anonymama wrote:
> We've been TTC'ing #2 for a few months, and I'm about to start charting.
> I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:
>
> - is it okay to use an ear thermometer instead of an oral one?

Nope, need to use an oral one.

> - I'm on Zoloft and get awful night sweats. Is this going to effect my
> temperature and charting?

No idea on this one.

> - I don't want to have to set an alarm to take my temp. at exactly the
> same time each day (I need my sleep!). Is this going to make my chart
> less accurate? How flexible can the time be?

It is definitely less accurate if it's not at the same time every day.
That said, unless you are varying what time you get up by 2-3 hours,
you can get a general jist of the trends and such. Also, I recommend
checking cervical mucus and if you want, cervical position. I use
Fertility Friend Online (make that one word, and add .com). I don't
need anything except the basic stuff, so I use the free portion. This
way I can *see* what is going on.

HTH!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

rangitotogirl
June 23rd 05, 09:30 PM
"Anonymama" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Andrea S" > wrote:
>
>> "Andrea S"
>>
>> > I charted for 9 months because we wanted another baby girl... our last
>> > 3
>> > were boys. You need to use an ear thermometer, and I also used
>> > www.fertilityfriend.com to help me chart.
>>
>> SORRY do not use an ear one you really do need to used an oral, you can
>> buy
>> a BBT one from most chemists. My preggo brain!!!
>
> I thought that was what you meant! I have a digital oral (that sounds
> wrong) thermometer -- that'll do it, right?

A digital oral one may be different from a BBT thermometer. I've had both
types and the BBT one is more accurate although you may be able to get away
with the other one. The BBT takes a while longer to use as it is more
sensitive.

Mum of Two
June 25th 05, 09:56 AM
"Mogget" > wrote in message
> In message >, Anonymama
> > writes
>>We've been TTC'ing #2 for a few months, and I'm about to start charting.
>>I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:
>>
>>- is it okay to use an ear thermometer instead of an oral one?
>
> I think not. What you want is your core temperature, and neither aurally
> nor orally is going to give you that. Vaginally or rectally will both do,
> but FFS do one or the other; don't mix them up with the same thermometer
> =8-/

Ewww! Who really interchanges oral, vaginal and rectal thermometers? I'm
gagging at the thought and I'm not even pregnant.
FWIW, when you're temp taking, you're supposed to move about as little as
possible to avoid falsely raising the temp reading. I would think taking a
rectal or vaginal temp, besides being unpleasant, would involve considerable
gymnastics that could give a false reading.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Mogget
June 25th 05, 12:27 PM
In message >, Mum of Two
> writes
>
>"Mogget" > wrote in message
>> In message >, Anonymama
>> > writes
>>>We've been TTC'ing #2 for a few months, and I'm about to start charting.
>>>I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:
>>>
>>>- is it okay to use an ear thermometer instead of an oral one?
>>
>> I think not. What you want is your core temperature, and neither aurally
>> nor orally is going to give you that. Vaginally or rectally will both do,
>> but FFS do one or the other; don't mix them up with the same thermometer
>> =8-/
>
>Ewww! Who really interchanges oral, vaginal and rectal thermometers? I'm
>gagging at the thought and I'm not even pregnant.

Heh. Nobody does, I hope...

>FWIW, when you're temp taking, you're supposed to move about as little as
>possible to avoid falsely raising the temp reading. I would think taking a
>rectal or vaginal temp, besides being unpleasant, would involve considerable
>gymnastics that could give a false reading.

Trust me, vaginally is very easy. It's how I was taught to take my temp
& I've been doing it for ten years now. Everyone else here says orally
works fine and I bow to their experience, but I'll stick with my way.

I wouldn't fancy a rectal reading either! But it's one of the options,
that's why I mentioned it. Each to their own :-P
--
Mogget

Michelle J. Haines
June 25th 05, 03:44 PM
Mum of Two wrote:

> FWIW, when you're temp taking, you're supposed to move about as little as
> possible to avoid falsely raising the temp reading. I would think taking a
> rectal or vaginal temp, besides being unpleasant, would involve considerable
> gymnastics that could give a false reading.

Neither involves considerable gymnastics, no. Some people get a more
consistent reading vaginally or rectally than orally.

Michelle
Flutist

Jamie Clark
June 28th 05, 09:57 PM
I temped years ago, but always set my alarm. I was working, so set my clock
for 6:00am. When it went off, I took my temp, got up to pee, and got on
with my day. On weekends, I simply did the same routine, only instead of
starting my day, after I got up to pee, I'd hop back in bed and sleep in
until about 8 or so. With a toddler, you are likely getting up around the
same time every day -- at least I know I am. Just take it when you wake up,
or set your alarm a few minutes to an hour before you suspect your child
will wake -- take your temp, then go back to sleep until your kidlet wakes
you. It's not that annoying, and only lasts as until you get pregnant.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest