PDA

View Full Version : early pregnancy emotions/depression - vent

camandshane
June 24th 05, 10:40 PM
Hi there

I am about 8 weeks along and feeling absolutely awful - emotionally and
physically. I have had morning sickness for 2.5 weeks which drives me
nuts by itself as it is always there and I get no relief. I have been
feeling angry/depressed/upset for about 2 weeks which I think is par
for early pregnancy - all those bl**dy hormones. My midwife has given
me Maxalon to help with the morning sickness. It has taken the edge of
the nausea but has given me some awful side effects of restlesness,
drowsyness and depression so I have stopped taking them after a day - I
was ready to jump off the nearest building - if I had the energy to
climb the stairs ;-)

Can someone tell me that I am not going crazy that at this time in
pregnancy you do feel exhausted, upset and useless. I am so scared
that I am going crazy. Please tell me this will get better soon.

Thanks for listening
Cam
Mum to Aiden - 13.5 months
EDD 7 Feb 06

Cuddlefish
June 25th 05, 12:04 AM
"camandshane" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Can someone tell me that I am not going crazy that at this time in
> pregnancy you do feel exhausted, upset and useless. I am so scared
> that I am going crazy. Please tell me this will get better soon.

It gets better, and then it gets worse... ;-) I have 5 weeks to go and I can
identify with the tiredness that is for sure; I am starting to feel somewhat
drained! My first trimester too was kind of blech but it all got better
around 14 weeks.

Hang in there - it sounds like you are having a very typical pregnancy, and
typically it gets better! :-)

--
Jacqueline
#1 Due late Jul/early Aug

Lainey
June 25th 05, 12:20 AM
Cam -

I just got out of the exhausted, upset, and useless (don't forget
irritable - extremely) stage a bit ago. You're not going crazy and
you've got a few more weeks of it then your energy will come back and
things will start looking up! You can do it.

*HUGS*

Lainey
Mum to Oog - 6 years
expecting 12/28/05

ECM
June 25th 05, 07:07 AM
I COMPLETELY understand! I have been a bit depressed lately. I have my
good days and my bad. I have been feeling a lack of support from my
girlfriends, that I thought were real friends. None of them have
children, so maybe they just dont understand. So, I know thet feeling
of being really sensitive and emotional from that wacky horomones and
changes with my body.
Hang in there. Imagine the reward we'll all get when we have our
beautiful babies.

camandshane wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am about 8 weeks along and feeling absolutely awful - emotionally and
> physically. I have had morning sickness for 2.5 weeks which drives me
> nuts by itself as it is always there and I get no relief. I have been
> feeling angry/depressed/upset for about 2 weeks which I think is par
> for early pregnancy - all those bl**dy hormones. My midwife has given
> me Maxalon to help with the morning sickness. It has taken the edge of
> the nausea but has given me some awful side effects of restlesness,
> drowsyness and depression so I have stopped taking them after a day - I
> was ready to jump off the nearest building - if I had the energy to
> climb the stairs ;-)
>
> Can someone tell me that I am not going crazy that at this time in
> pregnancy you do feel exhausted, upset and useless. I am so scared
> that I am going crazy. Please tell me this will get better soon.
>
> Thanks for listening
> Cam
> Mum to Aiden - 13.5 months
> EDD 7 Feb 06

June 25th 05, 08:28 AM
I don't know if this helps, but what you are doing, bringing a new
life into your family and the world is wonderfully beautiful and
important. For a period of misery and discomfort, you are giving a
lifetime of love and happiness, and by extension future generations as
well. Keep up the good work...-Jitney

Mum of Two
June 25th 05, 09:46 AM
(((Cam)))

I somehow missed your announcement, congrats! Even though you might not be
feeling celebratory right now..
I remember the stage you're at vividly as being the worst. I had to have DH
pull the car over on the way to work one morning and be sick in the gutter
in front of onlookers. It was not my finest moment.
It always got to the worst from 8 weeks for me, perhaps peaking at 10, and
despite the fact I tend to suffer residual nausea throughout pregnancy, it
was certainly much, much better after that 10th week.
You're probably finding pregnancy that much harder the second time around,
because this time you've got a toddler to look after. I haven't BTDT, but I
had a gastro bug recently with a nearly one-year-old and wanted to die, so I
can empathise!
Everyone I know of has had renewed energy in the second trimester, and
you're more than half-way through the first, and going through the roughest
of it right now. I think what stinks about the first trimester is you feel
so rotten, and have nothing to 'show' for it so to speak. No-one carries
your shopping, offers to get you a cool drink or asks if you need to sit
down for a while. It gets better.
Hang in there!

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

"camandshane" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi there
>
> I am about 8 weeks along and feeling absolutely awful - emotionally and
> physically. I have had morning sickness for 2.5 weeks which drives me
> nuts by itself as it is always there and I get no relief. I have been
> feeling angry/depressed/upset for about 2 weeks which I think is par
> for early pregnancy - all those bl**dy hormones. My midwife has given
> me Maxalon to help with the morning sickness. It has taken the edge of
> the nausea but has given me some awful side effects of restlesness,
> drowsyness and depression so I have stopped taking them after a day - I
> was ready to jump off the nearest building - if I had the energy to
> climb the stairs ;-)
>
> Can someone tell me that I am not going crazy that at this time in
> pregnancy you do feel exhausted, upset and useless. I am so scared
> that I am going crazy. Please tell me this will get better soon.
>
> Thanks for listening
> Cam
> Mum to Aiden - 13.5 months
> EDD 7 Feb 06

Mogget
June 25th 05, 12:17 PM
In message om>,
camandshane > writes
>Hi there
>
>I am about 8 weeks along and feeling absolutely awful - emotionally and
>physically. I have had morning sickness for 2.5 weeks which drives me
>nuts by itself as it is always there and I get no relief. I have been
>feeling angry/depressed/upset for about 2 weeks which I think is par
>for early pregnancy - all those bl**dy hormones. My midwife has given
>me Maxalon to help with the morning sickness. It has taken the edge of
>the nausea but has given me some awful side effects of restlesness,
>drowsyness and depression so I have stopped taking them after a day - I
>was ready to jump off the nearest building - if I had the energy to
>climb the stairs ;-)
>
>Can someone tell me that I am not going crazy that at this time in
>pregnancy you do feel exhausted, upset and useless. I am so scared
>that I am going crazy. Please tell me this will get better soon.

10 weeks here and feeling likewise terrible, nauseous and quite badly
depressed. As you say, bloody hormones. It makes me angry (when I have
the energy) that there is not a single thing wrong, it's just my bloody
brain chemistry making me miserable.

I wish I could tell you that it will pass, but I don't think you're
going crazy. Unfortunately it seems to be common if not exactly normal.
--
Mogget

Bryna
June 26th 05, 03:50 AM
camandshane wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am about 8 weeks along and feeling absolutely awful - emotionally and
> physically. I have had morning sickness for 2.5 weeks which drives me
> nuts by itself as it is always there and I get no relief. I have been
> feeling angry/depressed/upset for about 2 weeks which I think is par
> for early pregnancy - all those bl**dy hormones. My midwife has given
> me Maxalon to help with the morning sickness. It has taken the edge of
> the nausea but has given me some awful side effects of restlesness,
> drowsyness and depression so I have stopped taking them after a day - I
> was ready to jump off the nearest building - if I had the energy to
> climb the stairs ;-)
>
> Can someone tell me that I am not going crazy that at this time in
> pregnancy you do feel exhausted, upset and useless. I am so scared
> that I am going crazy. Please tell me this will get better soon.
>
> Thanks for listening
> Cam
> Mum to Aiden - 13.5 months
> EDD 7 Feb 06

You are definitely *not* going crazy. Feeling nauseous and exhausted
are natural first-trimester symptoms, and feeling that way 24/7 while
taking care of a young child is enough to make anyone feel pretty down
and upset. My second pregnancy was my hardest so far -- I had no
energy for ds the whole first trimester and I felt so anxious and
overwhelmed all the time. The good news (IME, at least) is that it
should be getting much much better in just a few weeks. I'm currently
14 weeks pregnant with #3, and just starting to feel more "myself" --
so hang in there, this is a time-limited misery, and once it passes
hopefully pregnancy amnesia will set in and you'll start thinking it
really wasn't as bad as all that. :)

Bryna

camandshane
June 26th 05, 05:42 AM
Thnaks Jacqueline :-) I have 14 weeks marked on my calendar to start
celebrating...

camandshane
June 26th 05, 05:44 AM
Thanks Lainey! It helps sooo much to know this is relatively normal :-)

camandshane
June 26th 05, 05:47 AM
Thanks ECM :-) I hope your girlfriends come around (or get
pregnant....)

Cam

camandshane
June 26th 05, 05:48 AM
Thanks Jitney - sometimes I think I do need reminding that this is a
wonderfu thing :-)

camandshane
June 26th 05, 06:02 AM
Thanks Amy

One of my fears is puking in front of people so I pretty much stay at
home.

I am sooooo looking forward to the second trimester!!!!

Cam (hanging in there)

camandshane
June 26th 05, 06:04 AM
Thanks Mogget

It turns out that I had an allergic reaction to the Maxalon and it made
me mental. Now I feel just tired, grumpy and sick :-)

Cam

camandshane
June 26th 05, 06:05 AM
Thanks Bryna - I can't wait for this stage to be over - I like the
quote "time-limited misery" - I'll have to share that with my friend
who is 7 weeks pregnant :-)

Cam

xkatx
June 26th 05, 06:18 AM
"camandshane" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi there
>
> I am about 8 weeks along and feeling absolutely awful - emotionally and
> physically. I have had morning sickness for 2.5 weeks which drives me
> nuts by itself as it is always there and I get no relief. I have been
> feeling angry/depressed/upset for about 2 weeks which I think is par
> for early pregnancy - all those bl**dy hormones. My midwife has given
> me Maxalon to help with the morning sickness. It has taken the edge of
> the nausea but has given me some awful side effects of restlesness,
> drowsyness and depression so I have stopped taking them after a day - I
> was ready to jump off the nearest building - if I had the energy to
> climb the stairs ;-)
>
> Can someone tell me that I am not going crazy that at this time in
> pregnancy you do feel exhausted, upset and useless. I am so scared
> that I am going crazy. Please tell me this will get better soon.
>
> Thanks for listening
> Cam
> Mum to Aiden - 13.5 months
> EDD 7 Feb 06

You are so not going crazy. I remember feeling the same way, and actually,
for me, I don't think it got better, yet I've survived so far with only a
few more weeks to go. I still feel like ****. I wake up feeling like I've
been run down by a train, but, at least, with #3 for me, I have had NO
morning sickness at all... Just no energy. You're not going crazy - you're
pregnant! Hopefully for you it will get better in a few weeks. If not,
eventually, it will get better no matter what - that baby's gotta come out
sooner or later! Just when is often hard to tell! You're probably just
going through all the typical stuff that almost everyone has to deal with.
Hang in there, it is worth it in the end!

oregonchick
June 26th 05, 05:24 PM
"camandshane" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi there
>
> I am about 8 weeks along and feeling absolutely awful - emotionally and
> physically. I have had morning sickness for 2.5 weeks which drives me
> nuts by itself as it is always there and I get no relief. I have been
> feeling angry/depressed/upset for about 2 weeks which I think is par
> for early pregnancy - all those bl**dy hormones. My midwife has given
> me Maxalon to help with the morning sickness. It has taken the edge of
> the nausea but has given me some awful side effects of restlesness,
> drowsyness and depression so I have stopped taking them after a day - I
> was ready to jump off the nearest building - if I had the energy to
> climb the stairs ;-)
>
> Can someone tell me that I am not going crazy that at this time in
> pregnancy you do feel exhausted, upset and useless. I am so scared
> that I am going crazy. Please tell me this will get better soon.
>
> Thanks for listening
> Cam
> Mum to Aiden - 13.5 months
> EDD 7 Feb 06

I am now 16 weeks, but between 6 and 10 weeks, when the morning sickness was
at it's worst, so was the depression. I felt absolutely devastated for no
reason, and felt just horrible. I was not a pleasant person to be around.
I even contemplated abortion I was so depressed. My poor hubby was on
eggshells for awhile... I too felt crazy. I was absolutely worthless - I
came home from work and went to bed, and wasn't at all productive.
Fortunately my hubby did all the household stuff while I basically pulled
the covers over my head! I don't know how it is for others, but the nausea
wore off, the energy levels improved, and so did my outlook on life. It
only lasted a few weeks. But I definitely would have talked to my doc if it
had continued much longer - there are always options like antidepressants
and counseling during pregnancy, and it will make for a much happier mom and
baby if you take care of it sooner.

Betsy

Mogget
June 26th 05, 08:19 PM
In message om>,
camandshane > writes
>Thanks Mogget
>
>It turns out that I had an allergic reaction to the Maxalon and it made
>me mental.

You poor thing.

>Now I feel just tired, grumpy and sick :-)

Now that's normal. Sorry :-) !
--
Mogget

camandshane
June 26th 05, 10:18 PM
Thanks! I keep trying to remind myself that it is worth it in the end
:-)

camandshane
June 26th 05, 10:21 PM
Hi Betsy

I sounds like you are describing me to a T!!! When I explained to DH a
few weeks ago that I was depressed and angry because of hormones he
looked so releived and said that he thought I was just trying to pi$$
him off on purpose :-)

I'm glad things are good for you now - I can't wait.

Cam