--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Jacqui
July 13th 03, 11:40 PM
==Daye== wibbled
> Boys:
> Emerson
> Magnus
> Elijah

OK, associations - Ralph Waldo E, M Magnusson, E Wood. Emerson to me
says "surname" first and foremost. Magnus is nice, although it defaults
to association with MM and Mastermind in the UK that isn't a
consideration anywhere else AFAICS! Elijah - love this name, and would
have had it on our list except it sounds daft with our surname.

> Girls:
> Hypatia
> Ruby

Like both of these, although I worry that Hypatia would get
mispronounced/misspelled a lot. There's also a putative "witchcraft"
association for some people (Hypatia of Alexandria, a philosopher
killed by monks).

Jac

==Daye==
July 13th 03, 11:45 PM
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:40:29 +0000 (UTC), Jacqui
> wrote:

>There's also a putative "witchcraft"
>association for some people (Hypatia of Alexandria, a philosopher
>killed by monks).

Being Pagan, the witchcraft associations don't bother me.
Hypatia of Alexandria is one of the associations that we like
about the name.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

AGreen1209
July 13th 03, 11:59 PM
>Boys:
>Emerson
>Magnus
>Elijah

I'm partial to Elijah, which brings up connotations of my adorable three year
old son Elijah. :-)

>Girls:
>Hypatia
>Ruby

Don't really like either, but would take Ruby over Hypatia. Hypatia sounds
like a disease to me, though, no offense.

Amanda

July 14th 03, 12:04 AM
Elijah and Hypatia

==Daye== > thought everything was going well until Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:23:57
+1000, when ==Daye== > wrote the following to misc.kids.pregnancy :

>Hello all...
>
>DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
>a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
>tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
>assocaitions that come to mind with the name.
>
>Boys:
>Emerson
>Magnus
>Elijah
>
>Girls:
>Hypatia
>Ruby
>
>Thanks!

Nina
July 14th 03, 03:51 AM
I like Emerson, and Elijah. I dont really like the girl names. Ruby reminds
me of old country women and Magnus of thicknecked men built like bulls. Of
course I am in the US so the associations are different.
Hmm, actually Hypatia is intersting but I'd suggest it w/a more conventional
middle name in case the child grows weary of having such a different name.

"==Daye==" > wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
> a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
> tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
> assocaitions that come to mind with the name.
>
> Boys:
> Emerson
> Magnus
> Elijah
>
> Girls:
> Hypatia
> Ruby
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ==Daye==
> Momma to Jayan
> #2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
> E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

RLK
July 14th 03, 04:13 AM
I personally like the name Manus. I am not sure if it is a derivative of
Magnus.

From the list, I choose Elijah or Hypatia. Compared to Jayan, they seem
quite complementary. The other names seem a bit "common".

> Momma to Jayan

Cheryl
July 14th 03, 05:56 AM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:23:57 +1000, ==Daye== >
wrote:

>Hello all...
>
>DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
>a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
>tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
>assocaitions that come to mind with the name.
>
>Boys:
>Emerson
>Magnus
>Elijah

I know a girl named Emerson. It also sounds more like a surname
than a first name (much like any name that ends in "son" actually).

>Girls:
>Hypatia
>Ruby

You would run into trouble with Hypatia in Australia I think. Have
you got any male friends with teenage senses of humour to run these
names past? That's what I did and it worked really well.

--
Cheryl

DS#1 (Mar 99), DS#2 (Oct 00)
DD born 30 Jul 02

CY
July 14th 03, 08:46 AM
Me too! (Elijah)
"Laurie" > wrote in message

> ==Daye== wrote in message >...
> >Hello all...
> >
> >DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
> >a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
> >tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
> >assocaitions that come to mind with the name.
> >
> >Boys:
> >Emerson
> >Magnus
> >Elijah
> >
> >Girls:
> >Hypatia
> >Ruby
> >
> >Thanks!
>

> I'm afraid the only name I remotely like on your list is Elijah. Sorry,
that
> wasn't much help.
>
> laurie
> mommy to Jessica, 27 months
> and Christopher, 12 weeks
>
> *This email address is now valid*
> >--
> >==Daye==
> >Momma to Jayan
> >#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
> >E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Alicia Elliott
July 14th 03, 10:00 AM
Hi there Daye, you have some very interesting names chosen there. Do you
have an interest in ancient Rome by any chance?
My humble opinion:

Emerson-sounds like a surname to me, plus I can see it being shortened to
Emmy.
Magnus-not my style, it sounds a bit pompous
Elijah-LOVE this name, it sounds musical and not too common. Of course, one
can't help but think of Elijah Wood from the Lord of the Rings fame. But I
liked the name long before he became famous.

Hypatia-again not my style, I went to school with a girl named Hermione
(similarly foreign sounding) and she was teased mercilessly. I always felt
so badly for her.
Ruby-Makes me think of an old overweight woman. I had a second aunt named
Ruby with hair on her upper lip and her breasts arrived in the room before
she did. Not too favourable an association.

Good luck to you Daye, I hope you and hubby can come up with something that
appeals to both. : )
-Alicia

"==Daye==" > wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
> a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
> tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
> assocaitions that come to mind with the name.
>
> Boys:
> Emerson
> Magnus
> Elijah
>
> Girls:
> Hypatia
> Ruby
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ==Daye==
> Momma to Jayan
> #2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
> E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Circe
July 14th 03, 04:19 PM
Sue wrote:
>> DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
>> a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
>> tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
>> assocaitions that come to mind with the name.
>>
>> Boys:
>> Emerson
>> Magnus
>> Elijah

I like Emerson (one of Vernon's nicks is "Emerson Bruiser", actually <g>)
and Elijah. I probably lean towards Emerson, actually, which is a bit odd
for me as Elijah's obviously more "traditional".

>> Girls:
>> Hypatia
>> Ruby

I like Ruby better than Hypatia.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"Loose weight, feel great!" -- fair booth sign

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Catherine C.
July 14th 03, 07:11 PM
==Daye== > wrote in message >...
> Hello all...
>
> DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
> a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
> tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
> assocaitions that come to mind with the name.
>
> Boys:
> Emerson
> Magnus
> Elijah
>
> Girls:
> Hypatia
> Ruby
>
> Thanks!

I vote for Elijah and Ruby! :-)

Catherine C.
grandmother to Brendan--Sept. 22, 2002

H Schinske
July 14th 03, 11:22 PM
angela ) wrote:

>My grandfather's name is Elijah Walker, and he goes by Walker. Evidently the
>name Elijah was hard to go by, even for a guy born in the early 1900's. I
>think it'd be harder today.

That's odd -- I've run into several small Elijahs, and it seems to me with
Biblical names being so common, it shouldn't be any problem. Well, it may be
different where Daye is (Australia, right?), but around where you and I are.

--Helen

Em
July 15th 03, 01:36 AM
"==Daye==" > wrote in message
> Boys:
> Emerson
> Magnus
> Elijah

I like lastname-firstnames like Emerson. I also like Elijah (but for me
personally, didn't want the religious association). Not a fan of Magnus
though.

> Girls:
> Hypatia
> Ruby

I'm not sure how to pronounce Hypatia? Ruby is fairly nice I think--I know a
13 year old girl named Ruby (have known her since she was an infant) and for
me that did away with the whole "old lady name" stereotype that a lot of
people may place on it.

Have fun choosing!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 05:31 AM
On 14 Jul 2003 22:22:47 GMT, (H Schinske)
wrote:

>Well, it may be
>different where Daye is (Australia, right?), but around where you and I are.

Elijah is not an uncommon name, but I am not sure if it is used
very much. I know no Elijahs. Elijah is actually a family name.
It is the name of my DH's great and great-great grandfathers.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

H Schinske
July 15th 03, 06:00 AM
>I'm not sure how to pronounce Hypatia?

Several people have said this. What's hard about Hypatia? High-pay-sha. How
else would you say it in English?

--Helen

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 06:36 AM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:23:57 +1000, ==Daye==
> wrote:

>Girls:
>Hypatia
>Ruby

For those who said they didn't like either girl name, DH and I
added another maybe to the list today -- Emily.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Elly
July 15th 03, 07:27 AM
I'd choose Elijah and Ruby.

Elly
(U/S today at noon & can't wait to see the baby!)
28 weeks + 1 day
EDD October 6th

"==Daye==" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hello all...
>
> DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
> a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
> tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
> assocaitions that come to mind with the name.
>
> Boys:
> Emerson
> Magnus
> Elijah
>
> Girls:
> Hypatia
> Ruby
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ==Daye==
> Momma to Jayan
> #2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
> E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

H Schinske
July 15th 03, 08:18 AM

>"H Schinske" > wrote in message
>> >I'm not sure how to pronounce Hypatia?
>>
>> Several people have said this. What's hard about Hypatia? High-pay-sha.
>How
>> else would you say it in English?

and Sharon ) responded:

>Well the Python crew might just pronounce that "Mango-throated warbler" or
>"Luxury yacht". *g*

And there are some who call me ... Tim.

--Helen

H Schinske
July 15th 03, 08:22 AM
wrote:

>For those who said they didn't like either girl name, DH and I
>added another maybe to the list today -- Emily.

Well, I *love* that name, but it is very very very very very very very common.

Fortunately my daughter doesn't mind :-)

I wouldn't personally name one daughter something really unusual like Jayan and
then name the next one something really common like Emily. It would feel funny
to me. But it is up to you, and certainly they are both nice names and there is
no law.

--Helen

Mary Ann Tuli
July 15th 03, 12:47 PM
H Schinske wrote:
>>I'm not sure how to pronounce Hypatia?
>

> Several people have said this. What's hard about Hypatia? High-pay-sha. How
> else would you say it in English?
>
> --Helen

The Hyp could be pronounced as Hip and is Hypocrite, Pa could be as is
Pants and Tia as in Tia Maria. That equals Hip-pa-tee-a.

Mary Ann

aps
July 15th 03, 06:33 PM
In article >, ==Daye==
> wrote:

> Boys:
> Emerson
> Magnus
> Elijah

I like all three, but I've only heard of Magnus as peculiar to
Scotland. Is it in use in Oz also? I still like it, but it may be a
little pretentious.

> Girls:
> Hypatia
> Ruby

Hate to be the one to bring this up, but there was an American porn
star in the 80s named Hyapatia something. One would think that stigma
had expired or wouldn't matter, but it's worth knowing. I do like Ruby.

APS

Em
July 15th 03, 08:37 PM
"H Schinske" > wrote in message
> >I'm not sure how to pronounce Hypatia?
>
> Several people have said this. What's hard about Hypatia? High-pay-sha.
How
> else would you say it in English?

Your way is the way I was pretty sure it would be pronounced, but I could
also see it just as easily being Hip-at-sha. It isn't a name I've ever heard
before.

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 09:54 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:33:15 -0700, aps >
wrote:

>I like all three, but I've only heard of Magnus as peculiar to
>Scotland. Is it in use in Oz also? I still like it, but it may be a
>little pretentious.

I don't think Magnus is in that much use. It would probably be a
middle name. Our children have 4 names -- First, 2 middle and a
last.

The Scotland connection would explain why parents of a friend of
my DH, who are Scottish, said, "Oh, Magnus! That is a good,
strong name!"

>Hate to be the one to bring this up, but there was an American porn
>star in the 80s named Hyapatia something. One would think that stigma
>had expired or wouldn't matter, but it's worth knowing. I do like Ruby.

Thank you for telling me! I had never heard of the name before
my DH mentioned that he liked it. I didn't know there was a porn
star named that. Something to think about.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 09:57 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:13:43 GMT, "RLK"
> wrote:

>I personally like the name Manus. I am not sure if it is a derivative of
>Magnus.

Haven't thought of Manus. I will have to run it past the DH, and
look up the meaning.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 09:58 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:07:32 GMT, "Laurie"
> wrote:

>I'm afraid the only name I remotely like on your list is Elijah. Sorry, that
>wasn't much help.

Actually, that is a help. I know that you don't like most of the
names. I think I will run into that a bit with names like Magnus
and Hypatia.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 10:00 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:56:51 +1000, Cheryl
> wrote:

>I know a girl named Emerson. It also sounds more like a surname
>than a first name (much like any name that ends in "son" actually).

Well, Emerson is from Ralph Waldo Emerson, who is my favorite
American author. I love R.W. Emerson!

Emerson is a first name in German. Or at least, it was on a
website I found. I doubt that Emerson would be a first name...
it is more of a middle name.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 10:06 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:00:52 GMT, "Alicia Elliott"
> wrote:

>Hi there Daye, you have some very interesting names chosen there. Do you
>have an interest in ancient Rome by any chance?

Thank you! Well, ancient Greece... but I have studied heaps
about ancient Rome as well.

>Emerson-sounds like a surname to me, plus I can see it being shortened to
>Emmy.

Didn't think of that nickname... thank you.

>Magnus-not my style, it sounds a bit pompous

I think that is one of the things I like about it. When you say
it, you have to sit up straight, have your hand into a fist and
then say it very deliberately, "Mag-nus!"

>Hypatia-again not my style, I went to school with a girl named Hermione
>(similarly foreign sounding) and she was teased mercilessly. I always felt
>so badly for her.

Hypatia and Hermione are both from Greek origins so that is why
they sound "similarly foreign sounding". Hypatia would most
likely be a middle name.

>Ruby-Makes me think of an old overweight woman. I had a second aunt named
>Ruby with hair on her upper lip and her breasts arrived in the room before
>she did. Not too favourable an association.

Thank you for that. My great grandmother was named Ruby. She
was a tall, thin woman, who was extremely intelligent. She had
strength. I know that associations are everything.

>Good luck to you Daye, I hope you and hubby can come up with something that
>appeals to both. : )

Thank you, Alicia! We are still in very early days. However, I
thought a few opinions and associations couldn't hurt at this
stage.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 10:09 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:21:03 GMT, "Chotii"
> wrote:

>I can't even pronounce 'Hypatia' and you can be sure, anybody given this
>name would spend the rest of her life either spelling it for people, or
>having is mispronounced by everybody trying to read it cold.

I agree. My DH had to teach me how to spell it. Hypatia was his
suggestion, but I like it too. That is why I think Hypatia would
be a middle name, rather than a first name.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 10:13 PM
On 15 Jul 2003 05:00:51 GMT, (H Schinske)
wrote:

>What's hard about Hypatia? High-pay-sha.

High-pay-sha is how DH and I are pronouncing it.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

==Daye==
July 15th 03, 10:14 PM
On 15 Jul 2003 07:22:10 GMT, (H Schinske)
wrote:

>Well, I *love* that name, but it is very very very very very very very common.

That is DH's objection. Emily is common, but I pointed out if
her name turns out to be: Emily Ruby Hypatia <last name>, no one
is going to accuse us of being common.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Irish Marie
July 15th 03, 10:58 PM
"==Daye==" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:37:51 +0100, "Irish Marie"
> > wrote:
>
> >Well I'm Irish, but I grew up watching UK tv ;-)
>
> My sincere apologies. I realize that Ireland is not part of the
> UK, but Northern Ireland is. I read Irish and though Northern
> Ireland. Again, sorry.

No worries at all.
Marie

Buzzy Bee
July 15th 03, 11:10 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:54:53 +1000, ==Daye== >
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

>The Scotland connection would explain why parents of a friend of
>my DH, who are Scottish, said, "Oh, Magnus! That is a good,
>strong name!"

There was a panel type programme on Radio 4 a few years ago, recorded
in Edinburgh, and both Magnus Linklater and Magnus Magnusson were on
the panel. The presenter commented that it was probably the first
time two people called Magnus had appeared on the same show anywhere
in the world!

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)
Seoras' story: http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

H Schinske
July 16th 03, 02:01 AM
APS ) wrote:

>I like all three, but I've only heard of Magnus as peculiar to
>Scotland. Is it in use in Oz also? I still like it, but it may be a
>little pretentious.

I've always heard it as a Scandinavian name.

--Helen

==Daye==
July 16th 03, 03:06 AM
On 16 Jul 2003 01:01:46 GMT, (H Schinske)
wrote:

>I've always heard it as a Scandinavian name.

Well, I have seen several origins. In fact, on the website
http://www.andythenamebender.com/name-meanings/Magnus.htm they
list 4 origins:

Danish
Latin
Norse
Swedish.

I wonder why I think of Scotland with the name Magnus.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Tatjana Farkin
July 16th 03, 12:19 PM
"Iuil" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "==Daye==" wrote
> >
> > >I personally like the name Manus. I am not sure if it is a
derivative of
> > >Magnus.
> >
> > Haven't thought of Manus. I will have to run it past the DH, and
> > look up the meaning.
>
> Irish variation on Magnus. Same meaning - from Latin, "great"

But doesn't it also mean "hand"?

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Tatjana Farkin
July 16th 03, 12:20 PM
"==Daye==" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:56:51 +1000, Cheryl
> > wrote:
>
> >I know a girl named Emerson. It also sounds more like a surname
> >than a first name (much like any name that ends in "son" actually).
>
> Well, Emerson is from Ralph Waldo Emerson, who is my favorite
> American author. I love R.W. Emerson!
>
> Emerson is a first name in German.

?

I've definitely never heard it in Germany before. In fact, the only
connotation I have is also R.W. Emerson.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Iuil
July 16th 03, 10:28 PM
"Tatjana Farkin" wrote

> > > Haven't thought of Manus. I will have to run it past the DH, and
> > > look up the meaning.
> >
> > Irish variation on Magnus. Same meaning - from Latin, "great"
>
> But doesn't it also mean "hand"?

Not in Irish - that would be "lámh" :-).

I guess from Latin it could mean "hand" but I was going on what my reference
books said.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Tatjana Farkin
July 16th 03, 11:20 PM
"Iuil" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I guess from Latin it could mean "hand" but I was going on what my
reference
> books said.

I was referring to

> > > Irish variation on Magnus. Same meaning - from Latin, "great"

which made it sound like manus = great. But then my Latin lessons are
long gone! :-)

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Iuil
July 16th 03, 11:33 PM
"Tatjana Farkin" wrote
> > I guess from Latin it could mean "hand" but I was going on what my
> reference
> > books said.
>
> I was referring to

> which made it sound like manus = great. But then my Latin lessons are
> long gone! :-)

Oh. The etymology given was Latin->Scots->Irish, not directly Latin->Irish.
So that would allow for some slight morphing of spelling and pronounciation
along the way.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Ericka Kammerer
July 17th 03, 04:31 PM
Tatjana Farkin wrote:

> "Iuil" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>I guess from Latin it could mean "hand" but I was going on what my
>>reference books said.
>
>>I was referring to
>>Irish variation on Magnus. Same meaning - from Latin, "great"

> which made it sound like manus = great. But then my Latin lessons are
> long gone! :-)

I think that in Latin, magnus = great and manus = hand,
if I'm remembering my Latin correctly.

Best wishes,
Ericka