PDA

View Full Version : Nappies

June 26th 05, 06:26 PM
Hi,

This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.

My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of your
experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable nappies,
how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.

(We are in the UK and expecting a girl on the 12th September 2005).

Thank you

Anne Rogers
June 26th 05, 06:36 PM
> My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of
> your
> experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
> investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable
> nappies,
> how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
> all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.
>
> (We are in the UK and expecting a girl on the 12th September 2005).

there is a yahoo group for real nappy users in the UK, not sure of it's
name, but you should be able to find it by searching yahoo groups, also you
could ask on the newsgroup uk.people.parents

Anne

Ericka Kammerer
June 26th 05, 07:10 PM
z wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.
>
> My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of your
> experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
> investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable nappies,
> how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
> all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.

It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).
With those, there's usually just one main size for the diaper,
with maybe a newborn size that you can use if you don't want to
just fold it smaller for a tiny baby, but you buy covers in
different sizes as your baby gets bigger, and maybe you add
doublers (rectangular pads of fabric to add extra absorbency
for overnight or older kids without adding a lot of bulk).
With the all-in-ones (diaper and cover combined), you have
to changes sizes as the child grows.
We've used both cloth and disposables. When we used
cloth, we used about three dozen diapers and about 4-6 covers
in each size and we washed diapers every few days. Longer
than that and the diaper pail got too heavy anyway, so more
diapers wouldn't have been useful to me.
Supplies are pretty minimal--diapers, covers, a diaper
pail. You can add liners if you like (I used flushable
liners when they were older because it was more convenient
to just drop the liner with any solids into the toilet), but
they're not necessary. I also used some doublers for overnight
when they were older.
Personally, I found it a cheap and easy solution for
diapering (we washed our own). It got more annoying when we
moved into a house where the layout of the house wasn't as
conducive (too many stairs between changing areas and laundry
facilities ;-) but that certainly wouldn't have been an
insurmountable barrier.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Iuil
June 26th 05, 07:34 PM
"Anne Rogers" wrote

> there is a yahoo group for real nappy users in the UK, not sure of it's
> name, but you should be able to find it by searching yahoo groups, also
you
> could ask on the newsgroup uk.people.parents

HTH

Jean

--
DD - June '02
DS - May '05

Anne Rogers
June 26th 05, 07:48 PM
> It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
> The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
> in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).

surely the most basic is terry squares, I've heard good stuff about
prefolds, but I couldn't decide which to get, so I went with terry squares,
takes fractional extra time folding them in quarters when they are clean and
a tiny amount of time to fold them before putting them on, they are also
really cheap!

Anne

Mogget
June 26th 05, 08:29 PM
In message >, z >
writes
>Hi,
>
>This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.
>
>My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of your
>experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
>investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable nappies,
>how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
>all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.

I tried out lots of types and my hands-down favourite is fuzzi bunz.
It's a stuffable pocket nappy and it comes out of the washing machine
practically dry, needs a couple of hours on a clothes horse, then it's
good to go.

You will need to buy several sizes as the baby grows. Not too sure how
many you will need at any given time, maybe eight. But if you use cloth
nappies just sometimes, like when you're at home, and disposable nappies
when you're out, you're still saving money & helping the environment ect
ect ect.

There's a good market in second-hand nappies. Expect to pay something
like half or two-thirds of the brand new price. And then you can sell
them on when you're finished. Try ebay.

It's really not hard to use cloth nappies as long as you have a washing
machine.
--
Mogget

Ericka Kammerer
June 26th 05, 08:44 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:

>>It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
>>The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
>>in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).
>

> surely the most basic is terry squares, I've heard good stuff about
> prefolds, but I couldn't decide which to get, so I went with terry squares,
> takes fractional extra time folding them in quarters when they are clean and
> a tiny amount of time to fold them before putting them on, they are also
> really cheap!

Sorry--you're certainly correct. I don't think I even
ran across those while shopping, the prefolds seem to be so
nearly universal ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Welches
June 26th 05, 10:11 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Anne Rogers wrote:
>
>>>It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
>>>The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
>>>in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).
>>

>> surely the most basic is terry squares, I've heard good stuff about
>> prefolds, but I couldn't decide which to get, so I went with terry
>> squares, takes fractional extra time folding them in quarters when they
>> are clean and a tiny amount of time to fold them before putting them on,
>> they are also really cheap!
>
> Sorry--you're certainly correct. I don't think I even
> ran across those while shopping, the prefolds seem to be so
> nearly universal ;-)

That's interesting. On the high street in Uk it's easier to get the terry
nappies than prefolds!
Debbie

June 26th 05, 10:54 PM
Hi and thank you for your posts everyone.

It seems like terry nappies are the ones we will want to use. If so, it
would be necessary to buy the covers for this type of nappy? and if
considered necessary liners (booties) could be used with this type of nappy.

BTW are the liners absolutely necessary?

Thanks you again, I shall be looking at that yahoo group tomorrow when I get
home from work.

Regards,

"Mogget" > wrote in message
> In message >, z >
> writes
> >Hi,
> >
> >This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.
> >
> >My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of
your
> >experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
> >investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable
nappies,
> >how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size
fit
> >all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.
>
> I tried out lots of types and my hands-down favourite is fuzzi bunz.
> It's a stuffable pocket nappy and it comes out of the washing machine
> practically dry, needs a couple of hours on a clothes horse, then it's
> good to go.
>
> You will need to buy several sizes as the baby grows. Not too sure how
> many you will need at any given time, maybe eight. But if you use cloth
> nappies just sometimes, like when you're at home, and disposable nappies
> when you're out, you're still saving money & helping the environment ect
> ect ect.
>
> There's a good market in second-hand nappies. Expect to pay something
> like half or two-thirds of the brand new price. And then you can sell
> them on when you're finished. Try ebay.
>
> It's really not hard to use cloth nappies as long as you have a washing
> machine.
> --
> Mogget

larissa
June 26th 05, 10:56 PM
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:48:17 +0100, Anne Rogers wrote:

>> It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
>> The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
>> in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).
>
> surely the most basic is terry squares, I've heard good stuff about
> prefolds, but I couldn't decide which to get, so I went with terry squares,
> takes fractional extra time folding them in quarters when they are clean and
> a tiny amount of time to fold them before putting them on, they are also
> really cheap!
>
> Anne

Here in Australia the terry squares are the most universal. It is one
size fits all, you just change you way you fold them. I have used them
without issue, on and off. I use something called a snappy, (sp?) a small
three-way clasp thing that holds them on, you do not need to use pins.
Once on, cover with plastic or plastic lined pilchers/covers.

The only downside I found was when the baby slept through the night (at
about 12 months) and I no longer changed them at night the cloth nappies
couldn't hold all the moisture.

Good luck and congratulations.

Larissa

Larissa

June 26th 05, 11:02 PM
another question while I got y'all attention.

Nappi Nippas

can these things be used with terrys? I dislike sharp things like needles.

Thanks,

"z" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.
>
> My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of
your
> experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
> investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable
nappies,
> how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
> all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.
>
> (We are in the UK and expecting a girl on the 12th September 2005).
>
> Thank you

Welches
June 26th 05, 11:17 PM
"z" > wrote in message
> Hi and thank you for your posts everyone.
>
> It seems like terry nappies are the ones we will want to use. If so, it
> would be necessary to buy the covers for this type of nappy? and if
> considered necessary liners (booties) could be used with this type of
> nappy.
>
> BTW are the liners absolutely necessary?

No. I don't use them all the time. I only use them if I think she's
producing a poo before the next nappy change. Doesn't always work! When she
was fully breastfed then I didn't use the liners at all as it just goes
through the nappy liner. Once they're onto more solids then it is easier to
have liners, but not necessary.
Debbie

> Thanks you again, I shall be looking at that yahoo group tomorrow when I
> get
> home from work.
>
> Regards,

> "Mogget" > wrote in message
>> In message >, z >
>> writes
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.
>> >
>> >My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of
> your
>> >experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
>> >investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable
> nappies,
>> >how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size
> fit
>> >all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.
>>
>> I tried out lots of types and my hands-down favourite is fuzzi bunz.
>> It's a stuffable pocket nappy and it comes out of the washing machine
>> practically dry, needs a couple of hours on a clothes horse, then it's
>> good to go.
>>
>> You will need to buy several sizes as the baby grows. Not too sure how
>> many you will need at any given time, maybe eight. But if you use cloth
>> nappies just sometimes, like when you're at home, and disposable nappies
>> when you're out, you're still saving money & helping the environment ect
>> ect ect.
>>
>> There's a good market in second-hand nappies. Expect to pay something
>> like half or two-thirds of the brand new price. And then you can sell
>> them on when you're finished. Try ebay.
>>
>> It's really not hard to use cloth nappies as long as you have a washing
>> machine.
>> --
>> Mogget

Welches
June 26th 05, 11:17 PM
"z" > wrote in message
> another question while I got y'all attention.
>
> Nappi Nippas
>
> can these things be used with terrys? I dislike sharp things like needles.
>
> Thanks,

I haven't used them but I thought they were meant to be used with terrys.
Debbie

Ericka Kammerer
June 27th 05, 01:19 AM
z wrote:

> Hi and thank you for your posts everyone.
>
> It seems like terry nappies are the ones we will want to use. If so, it
> would be necessary to buy the covers for this type of nappy?

Well, if you don't use covers, you've just covered your
baby with nothing more than several layers of terry, which isn't
particularly waterproof or leakproof, so you'll end up wet and/or
dirty every time the baby goes ;-) Personally, I'd recommend a
cover

> and if
> considered necessary liners (booties) could be used with this type of nappy.
>
> BTW are the liners absolutely necessary?

I don't know if there's a language barrier--liners in my
vocabulary aren't at all necessary (and are pretty useless with
young babies anyway), but I don't know what "booties" are other
than the things babies wear on their feet ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

larissa
June 27th 05, 06:35 AM
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:02:03 +0100, z wrote:

> another question while I got y'all attention.
>
> Nappi Nippas
>
> can these things be used with terrys? I dislike sharp things like needles.
>
> Thanks,

These are the same as the snappi things I use. I have found them very
good, but always have a spare nearby, I have had a couple break (with
extensive use) or rarely the little white piece that grabs comes
out of its hole.

They are pretty easy to use.

Larissa

Sarah
June 27th 05, 09:22 AM
I started using washable nappies when DD was around 2 months old and used
'Kushies' - I've found a website which sells to UK customers:

http://www.thebabycatalogue.com

Click on 'Nappies and Training' and 'Kushies Classics'

These are an initially expensive outlay, but I have loved them and in the
long run they've saved me a fortune. They go in the washing machine and the
dryer, they have an adjustable waistband (velcro fastening) - quick and easy
to use. I simply put them straight into a bucket (with lid) and
eco-friendly detergent to soak, then put them in the washing machine for a
rinse and put them on the line (or in the dryer in poor weather). I bought
2 packs and always had 5 clean and 5 in the wash. I used disposables for
the night time (as found they didn't leak and had better absorbancy).

They are still as white as when I bought them and in such great condition
that I'll be able to use them for baby number 2!

"z" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.
>
> My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of
> your
> experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
> investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable
> nappies,
> how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
> all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.
>
> (We are in the UK and expecting a girl on the 12th September 2005).
>
> Thank you

Lara
June 27th 05, 09:23 AM
z > wrote:

> My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of your
> experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
> investing in such nappies,

http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/
is a great place to start.

Lara
--
www.ozclothnappies.org

Anne Rogers
June 27th 05, 09:33 AM
> The only downside I found was when the baby slept through the night (at
> about 12 months) and I no longer changed them at night the cloth nappies
> couldn't hold all the moisture.

that's the point of the doublers Ericka mentioned, 12 months was about the
time we started using them, though we didn't do night time nappy changes
unless he was poopy before then.

Anne

Anne Rogers
June 27th 05, 09:35 AM
>> Nappi Nippas
>>
>> can these things be used with terrys? I dislike sharp things like
>> needles.

> I haven't used them but I thought they were meant to be used with terrys.

we use them for terries, you use them on some shaped nappies too, like
TotsBots

Anne Rogers
June 27th 05, 09:38 AM
>> and if
>> considered necessary liners (booties) could be used with this type of
>> nappy.
>>
>> BTW are the liners absolutely necessary?
>
> I don't know if there's a language barrier--liners in my
> vocabulary aren't at all necessary (and are pretty useless with
> young babies anyway), but I don't know what "booties" are other
> than the things babies wear on their feet ;-)

I don't recognise it as a brand of liners or anything, could be "boots"
though, a chemists store who sell their own brand of liners, which aren't
flushable and I don't really like them, we do use liners with toddler
though, otherwise we'd just be putting poo in the washing machine :-(, we
usually buy flushable liners from a fair trade warehouse store.

Anne

Jake Mysterio
June 28th 05, 01:14 AM
I use fluffies flannelette fitted nappies. They need a cover ie plastic
pants etc but for $4.50 a nappy they are low cost and easy to use. I am
using mine on my third child now and they could easily be used for another
one yet. They dry very quickly and fit a large range of baby. The pack says
4kg to 11kg but I have Tara in them and she is 3.4kg and I had my twins in
them until they were about 12-13kg or almost 2years old. The absorbancy is
good for a younger baby but I did change to the fluffies terrytoweling
fitted nappy, although I still used the flanelette as well. if you can
afford it use the terrytowelings for an older child for the extra
absorbancy, they are too thick for a newborn though. I have have about 15-20
nappies but find I really dont need that many I soak them during the day and
first thing in the morning they go through a rinse and then take about
30mins in the dryer to dry. They are quick drying on the line too but I like
the fluffyness of them coming out of the dryer. Plus I am lazy!

Cheri
Mum to Sean and Jasmine (3years)
and Tara (1week)