PDA

View Full Version : Re: doctor on vacation

Ali's Daddie
July 14th 03, 07:04 AM
"cindy" > wrote in message
om...
| HI all!
| I am 38 weeks pregnant with my first baby, (edd July 9)

huh?

am I being naive? Or is that even possible?

It is now the 14th of July. Shouldn't you be 40w5d?

Maybe I am just sleepy and am forgetting some of the weird math I learned
when we were expecting Alegra lol... That could be a possibility!

--

LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

before you reply to me via email, please remove your hat

Take a look at my eBay auctions I just might have something you can't live
without :-)
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/dads2003/

Nina
July 14th 03, 08:03 AM
Yuck. When I had my son, the Dr was due to be on vacation the day my son was
due. I really wish he had told me so I could hagve met the other Drs. With
my daughter, the Dr I saw was one in a practice so when I deliverd it was
w/a Dr I had only seen once.
ON the other had, since with both kids I saw the OB only for the delivery,
it really made no difference to me who was there. The nurses were the main
people with me, the Drs just popped in for the pushing phase.

"cindy" > wrote in message
om...
> HI all!
> I am 38 weeks pregnant with my first baby, (edd July 9) I guess I should
of
> asked much earlier and definately should have known better...since I am a
> nurse...but I just found out last week that my doctor will be on vacation
the
> last week and a half of my pregnancy. She is in practice by herself...so
it
> will be another group completely covering for her...So I do not know them
at
> all and they dont know me.I go in tomorrow for an appt. and she said if my
> cervix was favorable she would induce me before she left....Im so
> disapointed...I know baby will come when he wants too and nothing I do or
> whoever delivers him really matters in the long run...but I like my doctor
so
> much and feel very comfortable with her....(especially after horrible
morning
> sickness...three er visits....and one admission for dehydration in the
early
> months) I know the chances of c-section are much higher with
inductions...plus
> the pain can be harder to get on top of...So now I am faced with a
> decision....1. suck it up and let nature take its course...hope I make it
to 40
> weeks and tell my doctor to bring me a tshirt from Alaska! 2. Or if cervix
is
> dilated at all tomorrow...go for induction.
> hmmm...I wonder if my doctor would take me on vacation with her? maybe
that
> should be the third choice!!
>
> Thanks for listening

Plissken
July 14th 03, 01:21 PM
"cindy" > wrote in message
om...
> HI all!
> I am 38 weeks pregnant with my first baby, (edd July 9) I guess I should
of
> asked much earlier and definately should have known better...since I am a
> nurse...but I just found out last week that my doctor will be on vacation
the
> last week and a half of my pregnancy. She is in practice by herself...so
it
> will be another group completely covering for her...So I do not know them
at
> all and they dont know me.I go in tomorrow for an appt. and she said if my
> cervix was favorable she would induce me before she left....Im so
> disapointed...I know baby will come when he wants too and nothing I do or
> whoever delivers him really matters in the long run...but I like my doctor
so
> much and feel very comfortable with her....(especially after horrible
morning
> sickness...three er visits....and one admission for dehydration in the
early
> months) I know the chances of c-section are much higher with
inductions...plus
> the pain can be harder to get on top of...So now I am faced with a
> decision....1. suck it up and let nature take its course...hope I make it
to 40
> weeks and tell my doctor to bring me a tshirt from Alaska! 2. Or if cervix
is
> dilated at all tomorrow...go for induction.
> hmmm...I wonder if my doctor would take me on vacation with her? maybe
that
> should be the third choice!!
>
> Thanks for listening

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! Honestly it wouldn't have mattered who was at
my delivery! It turns out that my Dr. didn't even make it because my DD
surprised us by coming out quite unexpectedly (went from high up to ready to
come out within an hour) and the nurses delivered her. I was in my own
little "zone" and not much that was going on around me mattered and when it
was time to push I didn't care who was there, just that she got the %^#$ out
;-) Personally I would let nature take its course, chances are you will be
late anyway and your Dr. may very well be there. I was induced and didn't
have any problems with it but I was 12 days overdue. I don't think I would
consider an induction early or at my due date. But it's up to you. Do what
you feel most comfortable doing.

Good luck,
Nadene

Sue
July 14th 03, 07:11 PM
Well since it is the nurses that do the majority of the delivering (doctor
is just there to catch the baby) I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Congrats!!
--
Sue
mom to three girls

cindy > wrote in message
om...
> HI all!
> I am 38 weeks pregnant with my first baby, (edd July 9) I guess I should
of
> asked much earlier and definately should have known better...since I am a
> nurse...but I just found out last week that my doctor will be on vacation
the
> last week and a half of my pregnancy. She is in practice by herself...so
it
> will be another group completely covering for her...So I do not know them
at
> all and they dont know me.I go in tomorrow for an appt. and she said if my
> cervix was favorable she would induce me before she left....Im so
> disapointed...I know baby will come when he wants too and nothing I do or
> whoever delivers him really matters in the long run...but I like my doctor
so
> much and feel very comfortable with her....(especially after horrible
morning
> sickness...three er visits....and one admission for dehydration in the
early
> months) I know the chances of c-section are much higher with
inductions...plus
> the pain can be harder to get on top of...So now I am faced with a
> decision....1. suck it up and let nature take its course...hope I make it
to 40
> weeks and tell my doctor to bring me a tshirt from Alaska! 2. Or if cervix
is
> dilated at all tomorrow...go for induction.
> hmmm...I wonder if my doctor would take me on vacation with her? maybe
that
> should be the third choice!!
>
> Thanks for listening

kereru
July 14th 03, 09:46 PM
"cindy" > wrote in message
om...
> HI all!
> I am 38 weeks pregnant with my first baby, (edd July 9) I guess I should
of
> asked much earlier and definately should have known better...since I am a
> nurse...but I just found out last week that my doctor will be on vacation
the
> last week and a half of my pregnancy. She is in practice by herself...so
it
> will be another group completely covering for her...So I do not know them
at
> all and they dont know me.I go in tomorrow for an appt. and she said if my
> cervix was favorable she would induce me before she left....Im so
> disapointed...I know baby will come when he wants too and nothing I do or
> whoever delivers him really matters in the long run...but I like my doctor
so
> much and feel very comfortable with her....(especially after horrible
morning
> sickness...three er visits....and one admission for dehydration in the
early
> months) I know the chances of c-section are much higher with
inductions...plus
> the pain can be harder to get on top of...So now I am faced with a
> decision....1. suck it up and let nature take its course...hope I make it
to 40
> weeks and tell my doctor to bring me a tshirt from Alaska! 2. Or if cervix
is
> dilated at all tomorrow...go for induction.
> hmmm...I wonder if my doctor would take me on vacation with her? maybe
that
> should be the third choice!!
>
> Thanks for listening

From what I've heard of induction I wouldn't choose it. If the baby isn't
ready you might end up with a cesarean. Chances are you could go longer than
40 weeks. You will be surprised how little the doctor will be involved at
the birth. My midwife wasn't very involved at all she let me get on with it.
There's not really much they can do.

I'd wait if it was me.

Judy