PDA

View Full Version : Fat Feet

Amy
June 27th 05, 05:25 PM
At 32.5 weeks, my feet and ankles are so swollen that they hurt. I'm
watching for other signs of PE, and other than my blood pressure, have
none, so it's likely just annoying pregnancy swelling, and nothing more
serious than that.

It used to be that they'd swell at night, after being up and around all
day, but that crept earlier and earlier in the day until now, when
being up for an hour is enough to have them ache and look HIDEOUS!
Especially when I wear sandals - ack!

So, suggestions? I'm willing to try just about anything, including
voodoo, ritual sacrifices, etc.

Thanks!
Amy

Circe
June 27th 05, 05:37 PM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> So, suggestions? I'm willing to try just about anything, including
> voodoo, ritual sacrifices, etc.

How about water? As in getting in a swimming pool. And drinking a bit more
water, too, if you can manage it. I've heard both of these can help reduce
swelling due to water retention. (I was always very lucky and never had any
problems with swelling in pregnancy, even when I had high BP, so I can't
speak to the effectiveness of these remedies from personal experience.)
--
Be well, Barbara

Amy
June 27th 05, 05:46 PM
Circe wrote:
> "Amy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > So, suggestions? I'm willing to try just about anything, including
> > voodoo, ritual sacrifices, etc.
>
> How about water? As in getting in a swimming pool. And drinking a bit more
> water, too, if you can manage it. I've heard both of these can help reduce
> swelling due to water retention. (I was always very lucky and never had any
> problems with swelling in pregnancy, even when I had high BP, so I can't
> speak to the effectiveness of these remedies from personal experience.)

You know, I suspended my health club membership because I'm just too
uncomfortable to deal with the treadmill, and I have been for a month,
but maybe I should suck it up and buy one of those oh-so-flattering
maternity suits, and reinstate my membership, and spend the next 8
weeks in the pool. That's not a bad idea. It's not chlorinated,
either, I can't remember what chemical they use instead, but it's
supposed to prevent your hair from turning green, and your skin from
drying out... That's not a bad idea. If nothing else, it would take
the pressure off of my joints.

I should be drinking water, too. You're right. Good call.

Thanks! You've saved the chicken.
Amy

Emily
June 27th 05, 05:55 PM
Circe wrote:
> "Amy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>So, suggestions? I'm willing to try just about anything, including
>>voodoo, ritual sacrifices, etc.
>

> How about water? As in getting in a swimming pool. And drinking a bit more
> water, too, if you can manage it. I've heard both of these can help reduce
> swelling due to water retention. (I was always very lucky and never had any
> problems with swelling in pregnancy, even when I had high BP, so I can't
> speak to the effectiveness of these remedies from personal experience.)

And keeping your feet up. And massaging your lower legs (working
from the ankles up). And watermelon, and tea. Didn't you just give
me this advice a couple of weeks ago?

Emily

Welches
June 27th 05, 05:59 PM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> At 32.5 weeks, my feet and ankles are so swollen that they hurt. I'm
> watching for other signs of PE, and other than my blood pressure, have
> none, so it's likely just annoying pregnancy swelling, and nothing more
> serious than that.
>
> It used to be that they'd swell at night, after being up and around all
> day, but that crept earlier and earlier in the day until now, when
> being up for an hour is enough to have them ache and look HIDEOUS!
> Especially when I wear sandals - ack!
>
> So, suggestions? I'm willing to try just about anything, including
> voodoo, ritual sacrifices, etc.
Well I believe if you run backwards round the standing stones three times
widdershins reciting the 4th scene from Macbeth that should cure it-oh and
did I mention you have to be naked?
;-P
Debbie

Amy
June 27th 05, 06:07 PM
Emily wrote:

> And keeping your feet up. And massaging your lower legs (working
> from the ankles up). And watermelon, and tea. Didn't you just give
> me this advice a couple of weeks ago?

This is beyond watermelon and tea! I've been drinking TONS of tea,
with no effect.

I'm beginning to think that I should hollow out a couple of watermelons
and use them as shoes. Couldn't hurt, and would probably fit better
than my current shoes!

Amy :)

Amy
June 27th 05, 06:14 PM
Welches wrote:

> Well I believe if you run backwards round the standing stones three times
> widdershins reciting the 4th scene from Macbeth that should cure it-oh and
> did I mention you have to be naked?
> ;-P

The American Midwest has a profound lack of standing stones.
Otherwise, I would totally try it... :)

Amy

Ruth Shear
June 27th 05, 07:24 PM
G'day

Amy wrote:

> The American Midwest has a profound lack of standing stones.
> Otherwise, I would totally try it... :)

Hey I remember laughing my head off at the idea of "Woodhenge" which is
in East St Louis and is apparently the *real thing*.

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/wilson/ant304/biography/arybios98/mcbridebi
o.html

DrRuth

Cheryl
June 27th 05, 08:47 PM
My dr. today told me to keep my feet elevated above my head when laying down
but at least elevated when sitting. Watch the salt and cut out soda if you
drink it. Drink LOTS of water and to stay out of the heat whenever possible.
I was also told that going into a cool swimming pool may help.

Cheryl
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> At 32.5 weeks, my feet and ankles are so swollen that they hurt. I'm
> watching for other signs of PE, and other than my blood pressure, have
> none, so it's likely just annoying pregnancy swelling, and nothing more
> serious than that.
>
> It used to be that they'd swell at night, after being up and around all
> day, but that crept earlier and earlier in the day until now, when
> being up for an hour is enough to have them ache and look HIDEOUS!
> Especially when I wear sandals - ack!
>
> So, suggestions? I'm willing to try just about anything, including
> voodoo, ritual sacrifices, etc.
>
> Thanks!
> Amy

Amy
June 27th 05, 09:24 PM
Cheryl wrote:
> My dr. today told me to keep my feet elevated above my head when laying down

I haven't figured out a comfortable way to do this, while still laying
on my side. I even used a big foam wedge, which should have done the
job nicely, and it was horribly uncomfortable. I can't breathe on my
back anymore, so that's not an option. How do you position yourself so
that your feet are elevated, but you're on your left side?

I must be uncomfortable, I found myself thinking today, "It wouldn't be
SO bad to have a premature baby..." ACK! I'm only at 32.5 weeks!

Amy (never having sex in October, November, December, or January again.
February's not looking good, either)

Me Myself and I
June 28th 05, 03:42 AM
Swelling feet is your bodies way of telling you to take it easy and spend
more time with your feet up resting. ;)

--
Pip

Abby - 3rd Feb 2005 at 32 weeks 3lb 14oz
Jasmine - 21st Mar 2002 at 35 weeks 4lb 12oz

--
"Amy" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Cheryl wrote:
> > My dr. today told me to keep my feet elevated above my head when laying
down

> I haven't figured out a comfortable way to do this, while still laying
> on my side. I even used a big foam wedge, which should have done the
> job nicely, and it was horribly uncomfortable. I can't breathe on my
> back anymore, so that's not an option. How do you position yourself so
> that your feet are elevated, but you're on your left side?
>
> I must be uncomfortable, I found myself thinking today, "It wouldn't be
> SO bad to have a premature baby..." ACK! I'm only at 32.5 weeks!
>
> Amy (never having sex in October, November, December, or January again.
> February's not looking good, either)

KC
June 28th 05, 07:32 AM
In my 2nd pg I had lots of swelling in my feet and in my 3rd it even
went up into my legs to where it would make my knees look fat. I
always had bp issues too, but not PE. It is from having extra fluids
in the body from being pg and from the uterus pressing on the return
veins so it can't get out of the legs.

I did eat watermelon and drank lots of water. I did avoid salty foods
and soda pop because soda pop has tons of sodium in it. You can wear
support hose. I don't know if they have preggo ones. I got knee high
ones and wore them sometimes to get the fluid out of my feet. Besides
that I think keeping feet up is key, which I did alot, but every car
ride got me way swelled up again.

Good luck,

KC

Amy
June 29th 05, 02:15 AM
Me Myself and I wrote:
> Swelling feet is your bodies way of telling you to take it easy and spend
> more time with your feet up resting. ;)

My feet need to talk to my boss!!

If it weren't 97 degrees here with 80% humidity, I'd consider wearing
compression stockings, in spite of the fact that el doctoro said that
they would just cause my knees to swell, instead. *sigh*

It's too bad they won't give us the sort of water pills they give old
people for similar problems, huh? But then again, I don't want to give
birth to a raisin.

Amy