PDA

View Full Version : Update on me: 30+ weeks (x-post, long)

Ilse Witch
June 27th 05, 09:47 PM
It's been a while since I had much to report, and I hardly have time to
post or read up here due to all the things going on with the move. So for
all of you who are interested, here's a full update on how we are doing
back home.

Pregnancy wise: all is going extremely well. Both babies are transverse,
which is actually saving me a lot of problems with my SPD as there is
little pressure on the pelvic bones. OTOH my abs are stretched to their
max and that's not always comfy, but easier to deal with. The prospect of
a c-section is not fun, but we will deal with that when we get there.
Babies are growing well, even somewhat bigger than singletons at this
point, but that will probably change in the next couple of weeks. I sleep
well, can still bike (YAY!), but walking and standing are challenging.

Move wise: DH(!) has signed for his job, we have a house which feels like
a home and are slowly moving our stuff. We can rent first and will buy the
house later. It is totally bizar, but it just felt like a home to me the
moment I entered. We fixed some minor things last weekend, and it still
feels so right. I never felt like that in our apartment in the US... DH
will start working on July 1, so I will be at home with DS full time. That
will be a challenge, but I can manage, I've had some practice recently.

Socially: it is a real relief to be back in a country where we can deal
with people the way we were used to. It only shows how enormous the social
and cultural differences are between the US and Europe once you have to
restart your life in either place. It is not that one is better or worse
than the other, there are just some huge differences that are sometimes
hard to overcome if you're used to one or the other.

Otherwise: remember the story of my job being offered and the offer
withdrawn for no apparent reason? Well, after 3 months of total silence,
it dawned on them that something was not quite right and they re-offered
me the job. Apparently rumours had started to spread that I was denied a
job because of my pregnancy, and this is *SO* not done over here. Some
strings were pulled from very high up, which made things move again.

Unfortunately their timing is horrible, since the renewed offer arrived on
the exact day that DH signed his contract and there is no way we can both
commute to work for more than 1h each way with 3 small kids at home. So I
had to decline. Fortunately for me I have prospects for a very good
alternative close to our new home, plus I have taken the opportunity to
clear everything with the people involved. Since it is a small world, I am
glad that apologies were offered and my good name was fully reinstated.
Maybe in retrospect this was all meant to be...

It will be a while before I can spend more time here on mkp and am. Once
the move is done, the twins will be arriving. Although I hope they stay
put for another 6-8 weeks, but you never know. I will do my best to keep
you posted on what is going on though. Take care y'all!!!

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Stormlady
June 27th 05, 10:28 PM
So glad to hear that things are going well!!
"Ilse Witch" > wrote in message
> [...]
> commute to work for more than 1h each way with 3 small kids at home. So I
> had to decline. Fortunately for me I have prospects for a very good
> alternative close to our new home, plus I have taken the opportunity to
> clear everything with the people involved. Since it is a small world, I am
> glad that apologies were offered and my good name was fully reinstated.
> Maybe in retrospect this was all meant to be...
>
> It will be a while before I can spend more time here on mkp and am. Once
> the move is done, the twins will be arriving. Although I hope they stay
> put for another 6-8 weeks, but you never know. I will do my best to keep
> you posted on what is going on though. Take care y'all!!!
>
> --
> --I
> mommy to DS (July '02)
> mommy to four tiny angels (Oct '03 - Oct '04)

Lynn
June 28th 05, 01:51 PM
Glad to hear that things are going along smoothly. You sure have alot going
on right now I can't believe you are handling it all so well. I would be
going crazy. Take care and hope that everythibg continues along they way
they have been.

Lynn

Crystal Dreamer
June 28th 05, 03:28 PM
"Ilse Witch" wrote:
> It's been a while since I had much to report, and I hardly have time to
> post or read up here due to all the things going on with the move. So for
> all of you who are interested, here's a full update on how we are doing
> back home.
<snip>

I'm so glad that things are going well for you!!

--
-Lisa
Due September 2005

sharalyns
June 28th 05, 06:06 PM
So good to hear that things are going great!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Emily
June 28th 05, 10:01 PM
What a wonderful update! And that sounds like a particularly
nice ending to the saga with that job. I'm glad that things
have smoothed over.

Emily

kiticat
June 28th 05, 11:46 PM
Ilse Witch wrote:

> It will be a while before I can spend more time here on mkp and am. Once
> the move is done, the twins will be arriving. Although I hope they stay
> put for another 6-8 weeks, but you never know. I will do my best to keep
> you posted on what is going on though. Take care y'all!!!

Bit knackered to say anything constructive but Im really enjoying your
updates Ilse {{{{Ilse and babies}}}}

--
Sarah
It's an odd world I live in.

Ilse Witch
June 30th 05, 12:52 PM
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:01:26 -0700, Emily wrote:

> What a wonderful update! And that sounds like a particularly
> nice ending to the saga with that job. I'm glad that things
> have smoothed over.

Yes, with the way things went, this is the best I could hope for. The
alternative job is officially still open. But since I'm already working
with them on the project, and will have gained more knowledge about this
stuff than anyone else in a few weeks, I guess it's obvious where this
will lead. They already asked me if I wanted to work part-time or
full-time! Such a luxury in the scientific world :-D

BTW: I am really glad to read that things are going so well for you too! I
felt truly elated when I passed 28w, knowing that my babies have a fair
chance to survive. And I cheered for you when you first passed the 21w and
then the 28w limits and things were still looking good.

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)
mommy to four tiny angels (Oct '03 - Oct '04)
guardian of DH (age classified)
expecting twins (boy/girl) in August

Emily
June 30th 05, 04:58 PM
Ilse Witch wrote:
> Yes, with the way things went, this is the best I could hope for. The
> alternative job is officially still open. But since I'm already working
> with them on the project, and will have gained more knowledge about this
> stuff than anyone else in a few weeks, I guess it's obvious where this
> will lead. They already asked me if I wanted to work part-time or
> full-time! Such a luxury in the scientific world :-D

Truly amazing. A colleague of mine (the first *ever* to take
a maternity leave in my dept) tried to be part time her first
quarter back. Didn't work. Part time pay for full time work.
But, she's in a tenure-track teaching position, I imagine it would
be more feasible to do true part time in a research position.

> BTW: I am really glad to read that things are going so well for you too! I
> felt truly elated when I passed 28w, knowing that my babies have a fair
> chance to survive. And I cheered for you when you first passed the 21w and
> then the 28w limits and things were still looking good.

Thanks, Ilse. Looking good they are. And the marginal previa
I had is even cleared up, so I can look forward to another vaginal
birth (barring any surprised). Interviewing a doula tonight...

Emily

Joybelle
June 30th 05, 11:35 PM
"Ilse Witch" > wrote in message
> It's been a while since I had much to report, and I hardly have time to
> post or read up here due to all the things going on with the move. So for
> all of you who are interested, here's a full update on how we are doing
> back home.

I'm so glad to hear all is going well, Ilse.

Joy