PDA

View Full Version : Shopping list

Amy
June 29th 05, 10:19 PM
I think I'm starting to nest. I feel a sense of urgency to start
buying supplies for after the baby's born - I'm thinking specifically
of things that I'm unlikely to receive at a shower - like pads. No one
is going to give you a big box o' Kotex as a gift, right? So, what
things do I need that other people are unlikely to buy for me? I'm
trying to think of it like being snowed in, because chances are that
I'm not going to be wanting to run out to the store every five minutes,
right? My list so far includes:

* Newborn diapers and wipes for baby, diaper rash cream
* Additive free laundry detergent (All Free, unless it annoys the baby,
because it's half the price of Dreft)
* Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)
* Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off
* Witch hazel wipes
* Ice packs
* Easy groceries - things that won't be complicated to make for meals
and snacks, preferably things that are reasonably healthy

What am I not thinking of? I'm going to have some help, of course, but
I want to be as prepared as possible before I go to the hospital. I
think I'll feel less anxious about bringing the baby home if I feel
fully prepared.

Thanks in advance!
Amy

Irene
June 29th 05, 10:21 PM
On the snacks, also think of things that are easy to prepare and eat
one-handed! Plus, bottled water might not be a bad investment
(assuming you are going to bf) and maybe some oatmeal (to help supply).

Irene

Emily
June 29th 05, 10:31 PM
Amy wrote:
> I think I'm starting to nest. I feel a sense of urgency to start
> buying supplies for after the baby's born - I'm thinking specifically
> of things that I'm unlikely to receive at a shower - like pads. No one
> is going to give you a big box o' Kotex as a gift, right? So, what
> things do I need that other people are unlikely to buy for me? I'm
> trying to think of it like being snowed in, because chances are that
> I'm not going to be wanting to run out to the store every five minutes,
> right? My list so far includes:
>
> * Newborn diapers and wipes for baby, diaper rash cream
> * Additive free laundry detergent (All Free, unless it annoys the baby,
> because it's half the price of Dreft)
> * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
> supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)
> * Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
> brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off
> * Witch hazel wipes
> * Ice packs
> * Easy groceries - things that won't be complicated to make for meals
> and snacks, preferably things that are reasonably healthy
>
> What am I not thinking of? I'm going to have some help, of course, but
> I want to be as prepared as possible before I go to the hospital. I
> think I'll feel less anxious about bringing the baby home if I feel
> fully prepared.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Amy

Hi Amy,

The thing I didn't realize before DS was born was that the
stores don't close just because you have a newborn :) And even
if you don't feel like going out yet, DH probably can, or
grandparents who are around.

I would say don't get too many diapers, since you don't know
what size/brand is going to fit best until the baby gets
here (one pack of newborn size, probably). Easy groceries
are a good idea. Make sure you have a water bottle that you
like drinking out of for your nursing station, and some good
books. The only toy your baby will need for a few weeks is
you (&DH, etc) --- your faces, voices, etc. That's not to say
you might not have some cleaning to do, but IME it's more likely
that you'll be cleaning spit up rather than poop.

When DS was a newborn, we used cotton pads dipped in water
instead of wipes.

Do you have nusring pads, lanisoh, and the number of
a lactation consultant? How about nursing bras? A camera?

That's all I can think of.

Emily

Amy
June 29th 05, 10:45 PM
Emily wrote:

> The thing I didn't realize before DS was born was that the
> stores don't close just because you have a newborn :) And even
> if you don't feel like going out yet, DH probably can, or
> grandparents who are around.

I know. I just can't bear the idea of saying to my father in law, "Hey
Dad? You don't look busy... Would you mind running out to the drug
store and getting me the biggest, most absorbant pads they have? Super
duper queen sized, please. Unscented. Thanks!!" I know that he would
happily go buy them, and probably think nothing of it, but there is NO
way that I want to have that conversation. :)

> I would say don't get too many diapers, since you don't know
> what size/brand is going to fit best until the baby gets
> here (one pack of newborn size, probably).

Good call. My brother was allergic to one brand or another, too. I'd
hate to invest in a pallet of Pampers, only to find that they irritate
the baby's skin. Then what do you do with 'em? Ebay?

> Easy groceries
> are a good idea. Make sure you have a water bottle that you
> like drinking out of for your nursing station, and some good
> books. The only toy your baby will need for a few weeks is
> you (&DH, etc) --- your faces, voices, etc. That's not to say
> you might not have some cleaning to do, but IME it's more likely
> that you'll be cleaning spit up rather than poop.

Friends brought their 3 month old this weekend, and she had two
blow-out diapers in about 4 hours. I just figured that I'd be cleaning
poop off of everything until the baby's in kindergarten... Maybe I'll
get lucky and find a brand of diapers that doesn't blow out?

> When DS was a newborn, we used cotton pads dipped in water
> instead of wipes.

I'll keep that in mind - especially if the baby turns out to have a
sensitive behind.

> Do you have nusring pads, lanisoh, and the number of
> a lactation consultant? How about nursing bras? A camera?

Check, check, Mom or my friend Julie will be playing the LC, check,
check.

> That's all I can think of.

Cool. It helps when I realized that I'm more prepared than I think I
am.

Aw, who am I kidding? I'm not prepared at all...

Amy

Elle
June 29th 05, 10:53 PM
Amy wrote:
> I know. I just can't bear the idea of saying to my father in law, "Hey
> Dad? You don't look busy... Would you mind running out to the drug
> store and getting me the biggest, most absorbant pads they have? Super
> duper queen sized, please. Unscented. Thanks!!" I know that he would
> happily go buy them, and probably think nothing of it, but there is NO
> way that I want to have that conversation. :)

I hear ya. I used Always, the thickest ones, I think they were wrapped
in organge paper. Just get one pack though, I was surprised at how
quickly the bleeding tapered off to something that could be managed
with a much slimmer pad. No need to walk around like you've got a canoe
in your underpants for no reason. Maybe I was just lucky but you can
always get more.

Do you have a snot sucker? We didn't & had to go out and get one. Also
nail clippers -- babies are frequently born with long ones and they are
very sharp! Also a peri bottle is very handy, my hospital gives all the
new mothers one though.

Elle

Amy
June 29th 05, 11:13 PM
Elle wrote:

> I hear ya. I used Always, the thickest ones, I think they were wrapped
> in organge paper. Just get one pack though, I was surprised at how
> quickly the bleeding tapered off to something that could be managed
> with a much slimmer pad. No need to walk around like you've got a canoe
> in your underpants for no reason.

I am so very, very glad that I was NOT drinking anything when I read
this, or I would have spit my beverage all over my monitor. *snort*

> Maybe I was just lucky but you can
> always get more.

This must vary from person to person. I've heard it described as
anywhere from "a heavy period" to "Texas Chainsaw Massacre." One
website even said that you can expect to pass clots "the size of small
lemons" for 24 hours or so after birth, and I'll tell you that after
reading that I nearly passed right out.

I used to want a big family. Now, I'm hoping that this baby will be ok
with being an only child.

So, assuming that the lemon website wasn't some ploy on the part of the
religious right to get teenaged girls to wait until they're married
(when the pressure from their mothers will outweigh any fear of
pregnancy/birth/motherhood - as in "OH JUST SHUT UP ALREADY AND I WILL
PRODUCE AN HEIR!"), I figured I'd get a pretty wide assortment, just in
case. I can always use them when menses resumes, or to insulate the
attic.

> Do you have a snot sucker?

You've got a way with words! :) Isn't the snot sucker part of the
"take anything that's not nailed down in your hospital room" inventory?

> We didn't & had to go out and get one. Also
> nail clippers -- babies are frequently born with long ones and they are
> very sharp!

Got those.

> Also a peri bottle is very handy, my hospital gives all the
> new mothers one though.

I just read about this today, too. If I had known about this stuff
when I was a teenager, well, let's just say that I'd probably still be
a virgin... and I've been married 4 years!

Thanks!
Amy

Iuil
June 29th 05, 11:31 PM
"Elle" wrote

> I hear ya. I used Always, the thickest ones, I think they were wrapped
> in organge paper. Just get one pack though, I was surprised at how
> quickly the bleeding tapered off to something that could be managed
> with a much slimmer pad. No need to walk around like you've got a canoe
> in your underpants for no reason. Maybe I was just lucky but you can
> always get more.

And on the off chance that you do need more and send someone, oh let's say
your mother, out to get another packet, make sure to warn them that you do
mean only *one* packet.

/me now has 3 packets of nighttime pads, didn't see AF for 18 months the
last time and only used pads for postpartum in the last 20 years!

Jean

--
DD - June '02
DS - May '05

Bryna
June 30th 05, 12:00 AM
Amy wrote:

> * Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
> brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off

The first few days after giving birth, when the bleeding was really
heavy (no lemon-sized clots, though -- that must just have been a
really unlucky woman!), I found disposable "Depends"-type underwear to
be the best thing. After the first few days, it is just like a heavy
period, then a regular period, then a light period that lasts forever
:) but those first days are real gushers. I think I would have worried
about leaking around any pad, no matter how heavy, and disposable
underwear gave me some peace of mind. Go to bathroom, toss, put on new
pair. All happy. :)

Bryna

Irrational Number
June 30th 05, 12:01 AM
Amy wrote:
> * Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
> brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off

I used any brand I could find. Just the
biggest, clunkiest, most horrible-looking
ones you'd never wear... those work well.

And if you have too many, you can always
donate to a women's shelter. Sad to say,
but some women are there soon postpartum.

-- Anita --

Karlisa
June 30th 05, 12:06 AM

> Do you have a snot sucker? We didn't & had to go out and get one.

I'm surprised they didn't give you one in the hospital (unless, of course,
you had a home birth). I wouldn't recommend the cheap-o snot suckers
(suction bulbs) that you can pick up at walmart or target. When the one
that we got from the hospital got a hole in it, we had to go to a medical
supply store to replace it. That thing cost $16, but it's the only one that
works.

lisa
micksmom
mick 7-12-02
noah 1-24-05

Also
> nail clippers -- babies are frequently born with long ones and they are
> very sharp! Also a peri bottle is very handy, my hospital gives all the
> new mothers one though.
>
> Elle

Ericka Kammerer
June 30th 05, 12:12 AM
Amy wrote:

> I'm not going to be wanting to run out to the store every five minutes,
> right?

Probably not, but on the other hand, it's generally not
a problem for your help to go.

> My list so far includes:
>
> * Newborn diapers and wipes for baby, diaper rash cream

For most babes you don't need diaper rash cream
at every change, though you might have one that's particularly
sensitive and needs it. Vaseline or olive oil work fine for
keeping it easy to get the meconium off for the first little
while.

> * Additive free laundry detergent (All Free, unless it annoys the baby,
> because it's half the price of Dreft)

...not that Dreft is additive free...

> * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
> supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)

Babe isn't going to be playing with toys, though you
might get things peed or pooped on. Frankly, whatever is put
out by new breastfed babies isn't hard to clean at all. Your
regular cleaning supplies (and cleaning schedule) will likely suffice.

> * Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
> brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off
> * Witch hazel wipes
> * Ice packs
> * Easy groceries - things that won't be complicated to make for meals
> and snacks, preferably things that are reasonably healthy

It can be nice to have a few meals put up in the freezer
as well. Or maybe your help does mean take-out ;-)

> What am I not thinking of? I'm going to have some help, of course, but
> I want to be as prepared as possible before I go to the hospital. I
> think I'll feel less anxious about bringing the baby home if I feel
> fully prepared.

I'd add some Lansinoh (or similar) to your list, and some
stationery to write thank you notes or announcements from your bed.
Have some pretty pjs or easy clothes so that you feel comfortable
with visitors without having to get dressed up for the first couple
days. Personally, I liked pjs better than nursing nightgowns, as
I found it more discreet to pull up a pj top than use the openings
in most nursing gowns. Have some waterproof pads you can use
in case your bleeding leaks a bit (chux are fine, or whatever
else you'd like to use--we always had several chux left over
from the birth).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Unadulterated Me
June 30th 05, 01:17 AM
Amy wrote:
> Maybe I'll
> get lucky and find a brand of diapers that doesn't blow out?

You should look at cloth nappies then, much nicer for the baby than
chemical gel filled, waste producing disposables. There are so many
beautiful cloth nappies out there and far more snug and leak protective
than disposables. I'm having a blast collecting, knitting and making
covers (over pants) for my Oscar, it's my new obsession, and getting
fluffy mail is the best! I got these a few days ago...
http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL11/513230/7235646/102548706.jpg
He's my little cave baby hehe

Andrea

Unadulterated Me
June 30th 05, 01:20 AM
Amy wrote:

> * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
> supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)

? what in the hell are you planning on doing with those toys? Over 12
children I don't think I've ever had toys that were shat on, a few baby
rugs and play mats during nappyless time, but no toys. Plus I think I'd
rather have the germs in my kids mouths than the chemicals from the
cleaning products ;-)

> * Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
> brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off

If you are having a hospital birth they may well give you some, check
with them. The brands where I live are probably different to yours so I
won't make recommendations, but look for ones that are long in length,
have tape under wings and a stay dry cover.

> What am I not thinking of?

Some stuff for you. Before I had Oscar I wen to the body shop and bought
some Brazil nut shower gel, Honey shampoo and conditioner, lots of
little pamper things for me to use and make me feel queen life afterwards.
A bottle of bubbly and a nice birthday cake to pop in the freezer for a
special welcome baby happy 'birth'day celebration.

Andrea

Caledonia
June 30th 05, 01:29 AM
Amy wrote:
> I think I'm starting to nest. I feel a sense of urgency to start
> buying supplies for after the baby's born - I'm thinking specifically
> of things that I'm unlikely to receive at a shower - like pads. No one
> is going to give you a big box o' Kotex as a gift, right? So, what
> things do I need that other people are unlikely to buy for me? I'm
> trying to think of it like being snowed in, because chances are that
> I'm not going to be wanting to run out to the store every five minutes,
> right? My list so far includes:
>
> * Newborn diapers and wipes for baby, diaper rash cream

I like vasoline and a flannel cloth w/water -- once you're past the
meconium diapers, it's pretty straightforward, or at least, not as
startling.

> * Additive free laundry detergent (All Free, unless it annoys the baby,
> because it's half the price of Dreft)

The only time-saver I can think of is washing (and rinsing, rinsing,
rinsing) the baby clothes that your newborn will be wearing, before you
go to give birth. Also learned that a yellow outfit might not have been
the optimal choice for 'going home clothes,' given that the baby was
also yellowish at that time.

> * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
> supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)

I *think* meconium stains, but everything else (er, breastmilk and baby
poop/pee) just washed away. But I'm the cleaning product luddite, so I
defer. We are only using bleach now (many years later) for bathtub
toys.

> * Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
> brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off
> * Witch hazel wipes

For the baby, the hospital suggested cotton balls and rubbing alcohol
for cord care. Can't say whether it was good or not (but probably
somebody will weigh in :), but it's what we did.

> * Ice packs

- I breastfed, and knew I would breastfeed, but signed up for the
formula company give-aways (figuring that I could always use the
formula for any feral cats we picked up); they included a funky
insulated lunch bag/ice pack along with coupons I gave away.

> * Easy groceries - things that won't be complicated to make for meals
> and snacks, preferably things that are reasonably healthy

Things that you can open/make with one hand. I keep thinking that
there's a need for the 'one handed cookbook,' as I found myself trying
to do something with only one hand free.

> What am I not thinking of? I'm going to have some help, of course, but
> I want to be as prepared as possible before I go to the hospital. I
> think I'll feel less anxious about bringing the baby home if I feel
> fully prepared.

- Nursing pads, for that first time when you *do* go to the grocery
store and discover that you're leaking.
- Diaper genie, if you're inclined. Although this might qualify as a
'baby shower gift'.
- The hospital gave me a stool softener, which I didn't use (but opted
for prune juice); it's their standard take-away package post-vaginal
birth. Probably *not* a baby shower gift :)
- Pulling together everyone's address for birth announcements and
having stamps on hand (an over-prepared friend even addressed the
envelopes prior to giving birth, but she's always been over-prepared.)
- Comfy underwear that you never want to see again -- the hospital
provided some pairs of horrible-looking disposable underwear, which I
loved. My abdomen post-partum was strange, to me (I gained about 55
lbs. each pregnancy, and then lost it over the next few months), and
the stretchy-weird mesh underwear was seemingly the only thing that
really worked for the first 5-6 days. Hard to explain, but it was
just...strange. The whole deal -- my abdomen, the underwear,
everything. It's all coming back to me now...
- Select a pediatrician now, and write down their pertinent info (along
with confirming that he/she is taking new patients) so that you can
give it to the intake RNs, and have *your* ped look at your newborn.

Wow. How tremendously exciting! You seem very well-prepared, and I wish
you luck!

Caledonia

Plissken
June 30th 05, 01:54 AM
"Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
> Amy wrote:
>

>> * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
>> supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)
>
> ? what in the hell are you planning on doing with those toys? Over 12
> children I don't think I've ever had toys that were shat on, a few baby
> rugs and play mats during nappyless time, but no toys. Plus I think I'd
> rather have the germs in my kids mouths than the chemicals from the
> cleaning products ;-)

I know sooo many people that clean their baby toys once a week with bleach!
I was beginning to think I was a bad mommy for just washing them (with a bit
of soap & water) when they start to look dirty.

Ericka Kammerer
June 30th 05, 02:27 AM
Caledonia wrote:

> For the baby, the hospital suggested cotton balls and rubbing alcohol
> for cord care. Can't say whether it was good or not (but probably
> somebody will weigh in :), but it's what we did.

Current recommendation for cord care is just plain old
soap and water (or even just water) at bath time and just making
sure it dries thoroughly afterwards. (Watch for any signs of
infection, of course). Alcohol tends to delay the cord stump
falling off without providing any benefit.

Best wishes,
Ericka

V.
June 30th 05, 04:25 AM
"Plissken" > wrote in message

> "Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
>> Amy wrote:
>>

>>> * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
>>> supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)
>>
>> ? what in the hell are you planning on doing with those toys? Over 12
>> children I don't think I've ever had toys that were shat on, a few baby
>> rugs and play mats during nappyless time, but no toys. Plus I think I'd
>> rather have the germs in my kids mouths than the chemicals from the
>> cleaning products ;-)
>
> I know sooo many people that clean their baby toys once a week with
> bleach! I was beginning to think I was a bad mommy for just washing them
> (with a bit of soap & water) when they start to look dirty.

I just recently toured a prospective daycare center (I need to be on a
waiting list now for the _possibility_ of getting a slot in FEBRUARY!), and
they not only wash everything in bleach solution daily, but you are not
allowed to wear shoes in the infant room! If you can't take off your shoes,
they give you those little hospital booties to wear over them. Needless to
say, it was a spotless place, but I'm worried my kid will get kicked out for
bringing in a small animal's worth of pet hair every day! No way I can meet
those standards of cleanliness, so I've decided to call my already lax
housekeeping "immune system training" for the baby.
:)
Amy
EDD 11/25/05

Leslie
June 30th 05, 04:40 AM
Plissken wrote:

> I know sooo many people that clean their baby toys once a week with bleach!
> I was beginning to think I was a bad mommy for just washing them (with a bit
> of soap & water) when they start to look dirty.

Wash them? Lorelei is seven months old and I've never washed any of
hers!

Leslie

Emily
June 30th 05, 04:45 AM
V. wrote:
> I just recently toured a prospective daycare center (I need to be on a
> waiting list now for the _possibility_ of getting a slot in FEBRUARY!), and
> they not only wash everything in bleach solution daily, but you are not
> allowed to wear shoes in the infant room! If you can't take off your shoes,
> they give you those little hospital booties to wear over them. Needless to
> say, it was a spotless place, but I'm worried my kid will get kicked out for
> bringing in a small animal's worth of pet hair every day! No way I can meet
> those standards of cleanliness, so I've decided to call my already lax
> housekeeping "immune system training" for the baby.
> :)

I've seen similar situations at daycares (it might even be
in various state's licensing requirements). It's about communicable
diseases, and since the babies all chew on the toys, it doesn't
seem like a bad idea to me...

Emily

V.
June 30th 05, 04:52 AM
"Emily" > wrote in message
> V. wrote:
>> I just recently toured a prospective daycare center (I need to be on a
>> waiting list now for the _possibility_ of getting a slot in FEBRUARY!),
>> and they not only wash everything in bleach solution daily, but you are
>> not allowed to wear shoes in the infant room! If you can't take off your
>> shoes, they give you those little hospital booties to wear over them.
>> Needless to say, it was a spotless place, but I'm worried my kid will get
>> kicked out for bringing in a small animal's worth of pet hair every day!
>> No way I can meet those standards of cleanliness, so I've decided to call
>> my already lax housekeeping "immune system training" for the baby.
>> :)
>
> I've seen similar situations at daycares (it might even be
> in various state's licensing requirements). It's about communicable
> diseases, and since the babies all chew on the toys, it doesn't
> seem like a bad idea to me...
>
> Emily

Absolutely a great idea, and I was very pleased with the place. The bleach
thing did seem to be standard among the places I visited, but the no-shoe
rule was unique to this one daycare (fortunately my favorite AND the one in
the building next door to DHs work).
Now let's see if we can get a spot. It's run by the local child development
council, so most of the slots are reserved for low-income families, and only
a few are "private pay". Not only do we have to hope for an opening, but it
has to be the right kind of opening! We are on the waiting list for other
places too, and I will be calling individual/family providers once the baby
is born. Never knew finding daycare would be this complicated!

Nikki
June 30th 05, 05:01 AM
Amy wrote:

> * Newborn diapers and wipes for baby, diaper rash cream

I liked Vaseline at every change. Easy to use and makes clean up easy.
You'll also need it if you do the c word for a boy.

> * Additive free laundry detergent (All Free, unless it annoys the
> baby, because it's half the price of Dreft)

I washed all the baby stuff before hand and was grateful. I did get the
baby stuff at first (and was glad) but found that I could use my regular
detergent with my kids.

> * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
> supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)

You can use whatever you happen to have around. You don't need anything
special. The only thing I found to take the blow out poop stains out was
the sun.

> * Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a
> certain brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off

I'd only recommend one package of the biggest ones you can find. Do you
plan to stay in the hospital the full 3 days? I did with #1 and my hospital
supplied them. Those days were the worst. I did have the clots you spoke
of but they land in the toilet not your pants ;-) I had blood everywhere
and was grateful for those net underwear they had. If not, get some cheap
underwear you don't care about and wear clothes you don't care about. I
didn't have such a time after #2. Came home the next day and don't remember
so much blood.

> * Witch hazel wipes

Yes!! I also got some numbing spray after #2 which was awesome. You'll
want stool softener as well...or at least I did. I had stitches.

> What am I not thinking of?

A thermometer. We actually did not have one and I had a bit of a freak out
over it :-)

You'll want some breast pads. If you plan on nursing you'll want some
lanolin, a couple nursing bras and a good guide to breastfeeding. My
hospital had a good one for the basics.

I always recommend a comfortable chair, cordless phone, and remote for the
TV. I'm not a nut but I actually didn't have any of those things with #1 -
probably because I don't sit around and watch TV hardly ever and hate
talking on the phone but boy did I want them when I was nursing so much!! I
had them by the time #2 came and what a difference!

Don't be shocked by your belly right after birth. It feels weird and looks
weird. It does go back to something that feels and looks like it is
actually attached to your body and not just hanging from a strap ;-). It
even happens rather quickly.
--
Nikki

Caledonia
June 30th 05, 05:09 AM
V. wrote:
> "Emily" > wrote in message
> > V. wrote:
> >> I just recently toured a prospective daycare center (I need to be on a
> >> waiting list now for the _possibility_ of getting a slot in FEBRUARY!),
> >> and they not only wash everything in bleach solution daily, but you are
> >> not allowed to wear shoes in the infant room! If you can't take off your
> >> shoes, they give you those little hospital booties to wear over them.
> >> Needless to say, it was a spotless place, but I'm worried my kid will get
> >> kicked out for bringing in a small animal's worth of pet hair every day!
> >> No way I can meet those standards of cleanliness, so I've decided to call
> >> my already lax housekeeping "immune system training" for the baby.
> >> :)
> >
> > I've seen similar situations at daycares (it might even be
> > in various state's licensing requirements). It's about communicable
> > diseases, and since the babies all chew on the toys, it doesn't
> > seem like a bad idea to me...
> >
> > Emily
>
> Absolutely a great idea, and I was very pleased with the place. The bleach
> thing did seem to be standard among the places I visited, but the no-shoe
> rule was unique to this one daycare (fortunately my favorite AND the one in
> the building next door to DHs work).
> Now let's see if we can get a spot. It's run by the local child development
> council, so most of the slots are reserved for low-income families, and only
> a few are "private pay". Not only do we have to hope for an opening, but it
> has to be the right kind of opening! We are on the waiting list for other
> places too, and I will be calling individual/family providers once the baby
> is born. Never knew finding daycare would be this complicated!

No shoes in the infant room is pretty common in the 3 daycares I've
used -- I think it's due to the liberal use of ice-melt in the winter,
here.

Caledonia

Nikki
June 30th 05, 05:21 AM
V. wrote:

> I just recently toured a prospective daycare center (I need to be on a
> waiting list now for the _possibility_ of getting a slot in
> FEBRUARY!), and they not only wash everything in bleach solution
> daily, but you are not allowed to wear shoes in the infant room!

I think that is silly at home but I'm all for it in daycare situations!!

The one large daycare we used did the same with toys. Actually I think they
had a revolving lot of them and tried to wash a batch around noon and bring
out new ones and wash again when they closed. Flu bugs still abound.
Expect your baby to get sick. The infant room there had different areas.
The main area you walked in to with tile. The babies ate there and there
was an exersaucer. Then there were two seperate carpeted areas that had
short little walls all around them. I could step over them. Toys and fund
things to crawl on in there and they were carpeted. There weren't shoe
police standing around or anything but mostly the staff took off their shoes
to be in there.

I've also seen some that were less fastidious. No thank you :-P

--
Nikki

KellyH
June 30th 05, 05:49 AM
"Elle" > wrote

> Do you have a snot sucker? We didn't & had to go out and get one. Also
> nail clippers -- babies are frequently born with long ones and they are
> very sharp! Also a peri bottle is very handy, my hospital gives all the
> new mothers one though.
>
> Elle

OK, what's a peri bottle? Or do I want to know...

I also was reading a website that recommended Depends for after birth.
Yikes!

-Kelly

xkatx
June 30th 05, 08:41 AM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Amy wrote:
>> I know. I just can't bear the idea of saying to my father in law, "Hey
>> Dad? You don't look busy... Would you mind running out to the drug
>> store and getting me the biggest, most absorbant pads they have? Super
>> duper queen sized, please. Unscented. Thanks!!" I know that he would
>> happily go buy them, and probably think nothing of it, but there is NO
>> way that I want to have that conversation. :)
>
> I hear ya. I used Always, the thickest ones, I think they were wrapped
> in organge paper. Just get one pack though, I was surprised at how
> quickly the bleeding tapered off to something that could be managed
> with a much slimmer pad. No need to walk around like you've got a canoe
> in your underpants for no reason. Maybe I was just lucky but you can
> always get more.

LOL The above is the funniest thing I've read in a loooong time! I'm not
sure if it was the first part about FIL searching the stores for "super
duper queen sized" pads or the second part with the canoe comment. lol I
think it was a mixture of both put together. haha

> Do you have a snot sucker? We didn't & had to go out and get one. Also
> nail clippers -- babies are frequently born with long ones and they are
> very sharp! Also a peri bottle is very handy, my hospital gives all the
> new mothers one though.
>
> Elle

xkatx
June 30th 05, 08:45 AM
"Irrational Number" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Amy wrote:
>> * Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
>> brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off
>
> I used any brand I could find. Just the
> biggest, clunkiest, most horrible-looking
> ones you'd never wear... those work well.
>
> And if you have too many, you can always
> donate to a women's shelter. Sad to say,
> but some women are there soon postpartum.
>
> -- Anita --

That's a better idea (about donating) than I had... Where once my aunt went
out and bough pads herself... Apparently my uncle was always the one to buy
them from her - surpised the lot out of me! - and one time she was stuck and
had to run out and make the purchase herself... She, actually, had no idea
what she was really looking for, or what was the regular brand/type she
likes that her husband buys, and the ones she ended up with ended up being
giant, super sized ones... She laughed about it for ages saying how she'd be
able to use one pad per period since she could just keep shifting it forward
and forward to clean, unused areas...
Anyways, probably had to be there... I know it's not funny, but it was
really funny at the time, and heck, I'm smiling thinking about it right
now...

xkatx
June 30th 05, 08:50 AM
"Plissken" > wrote in message

> "Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
>> Amy wrote:
>>

>>> * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
>>> supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)
>>
>> ? what in the hell are you planning on doing with those toys? Over 12
>> children I don't think I've ever had toys that were shat on, a few baby
>> rugs and play mats during nappyless time, but no toys. Plus I think I'd
>> rather have the germs in my kids mouths than the chemicals from the
>> cleaning products ;-)
>
> I know sooo many people that clean their baby toys once a week with
> bleach! I was beginning to think I was a bad mommy for just washing them
> (with a bit of soap & water) when they start to look dirty.

I've seen people go nuts cleaning toys as well... I don't really recall ever
actually washing toys... I must be getting a nomination for the Worst Mom
Award... :( lol If something fell on the ground, often wiping it off on my
shirt was enough, and even something like a soother falling on the floor or
ground - I'd wipe it off as best as I could then would pop it in my mouth
for a final rinse... A little dirt never killed anyone ;)
But, yes, I also found a bit of soap and water was enough for the toys that
managed to get real dirty, but never with a newborn... They kind of do
little playing for the first little while!

Anne Rogers
June 30th 05, 09:30 AM
> On the snacks, also think of things that are easy to prepare and eat
> one-handed! Plus, bottled water might not be a bad investment
> (assuming you are going to bf) and maybe some oatmeal (to help supply).

we bought a six pack of bottles with sports tops, after I finish one I
refill it from the tap and put in in the fridge, so I always have a supply
of chilled water.

Anne

Welches
June 30th 05, 10:11 AM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Amy wrote:
>> I know. I just can't bear the idea of saying to my father in law, "Hey
>> Dad? You don't look busy... Would you mind running out to the drug
>> store and getting me the biggest, most absorbant pads they have? Super
>> duper queen sized, please. Unscented. Thanks!!" I know that he would
>> happily go buy them, and probably think nothing of it, but there is NO
>> way that I want to have that conversation. :)
>
> I hear ya. I used Always, the thickest ones, I think they were wrapped
> in organge paper. Just get one pack though, I was surprised at how
> quickly the bleeding tapered off to something that could be managed
> with a much slimmer pad. No need to walk around like you've got a canoe
> in your underpants for no reason. Maybe I was just lucky but you can
> always get more.

I used them, but don't get the orange ones, I found the dark blue (night
time ultra) were better. Much more comfortable, and I found I wanted to
change it regularly enough.

> Do you have a snot sucker?
I've never needed one ;-P

We didn't & had to go out and get one. Also
> nail clippers -- babies are frequently born with long ones and they are
> very sharp!
But biting them off is much easier when they're tiny. Do it while you're
feeding. I was always afraid that a clipper would take the end of the finger
off!
Debbie

Also a peri bottle is very handy, my hospital gives all the
> new mothers one though.
>
> Elle

Ericka Kammerer
June 30th 05, 01:26 PM
Emily wrote:

> V. wrote:
>
>> I just recently toured a prospective daycare center (I need to be on a
>> waiting list now for the _possibility_ of getting a slot in
>> FEBRUARY!), and they not only wash everything in bleach solution
>> daily, but you are not allowed to wear shoes in the infant room! If
>> you can't take off your shoes, they give you those little hospital
>> booties to wear over them. Needless to say, it was a spotless place,
>> but I'm worried my kid will get kicked out for bringing in a small
>> animal's worth of pet hair every day! No way I can meet those
>> standards of cleanliness, so I've decided to call my already lax
>> housekeeping "immune system training" for the baby.
>> :)
>

> I've seen similar situations at daycares (it might even be
> in various state's licensing requirements). It's about communicable
> diseases, and since the babies all chew on the toys, it doesn't
> seem like a bad idea to me...

Yeah, it's more about them making sure that you don't
hit the roof because your baby came down with the cold that
some other baby had. Even though the cold might strengthen
your baby's immune system, it's a pain and you're likely to
be ****ed off ;-) And, of course, there's always the possibility
that a baby would come in with something more serious, and
they sure don't want to be the folks perceived as being too
lax with the hygiene. It makes sense for them to be more
cautious. Oh, and it is in most of hte licensing requirements.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Chookie
June 30th 05, 01:27 PM
In article . com>,
"Amy" > wrote:

> * Newborn diapers and wipes for baby, diaper rash cream

One packet only -- you may produce a big baby that won't use more than one
packet in this size!

> * Additive free laundry detergent (All Free, unless it annoys the baby,
> because it's half the price of Dreft)

If anyone's sensitive-skinned, yes -- but the only place I've ever heard
people mention it is this ng. Everyone I know has stuck with their usual
detergent.

> * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
> supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)

Stick with your regular supplies. I would avoid bleach or anything that can
cause serious damage if drunk.

> * Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
> brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off

And perhaps some panty liners for the tail end....

> * Witch hazel wipes
> * Ice packs

I had a second degree tear and didn't need these, but I was catheterised for
48 hours, I suppose...

> * Easy groceries - things that won't be complicated to make for meals
> and snacks, preferably things that are reasonably healthy

And drop a hint that you'd like meals as a gift, too.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Chookie
June 30th 05, 01:34 PM
In article . com>,
"Caledonia" > wrote:

> For the baby, the hospital suggested cotton balls and rubbing alcohol
> for cord care. Can't say whether it was good or not (but probably
> somebody will weigh in :), but it's what we did

Soap, water and some cotton buds to dry the crevices with is really all you
need. The umbilical cord just gets a bit smelly and falls off -- probably the
speed at which it falls off is determined by how often you bath the baby!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Chookie
June 30th 05, 01:39 PM
In article >,
Unadulterated Me > wrote:

> > What am I not thinking of?
>
> Some stuff for you. Before I had Oscar I wen to the body shop and bought
> some Brazil nut shower gel, Honey shampoo and conditioner, lots of
> little pamper things for me to use and make me feel queen life afterwards.
> A bottle of bubbly and a nice birthday cake to pop in the freezer for a
> special welcome baby happy 'birth'day celebration.

<nods>

I packed a king-size Cherry Ripe (chocolate bar) for eating straight after
delivery and made sure I packed my sponge-bag with a new toothbrush, nice
shower gel, hand cream etc. I also packed a bag of dried fruit salad as,
ahem, things were moving a bit slowly, and snacked on it when I felt I ought
to.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Chookie
June 30th 05, 01:40 PM
In article <MoHwe.1830228$Xk.181221@pd7tw3no>,
"Plissken" > wrote:

I know sooo many people that clean their baby toys once a week with bleach!
> I was beginning to think I was a bad mommy for just washing them (with a bit
> of soap & water) when they start to look dirty.

<scratches head and tries to remember when she has ever cleaned any of the
4yo's toys>

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Chookie
June 30th 05, 01:46 PM
In article . com>,
"Amy" > wrote:

> Friends brought their 3 month old this weekend, and she had two
> blow-out diapers in about 4 hours. I just figured that I'd be cleaning
> poop off of everything until the baby's in kindergarten... Maybe I'll
> get lucky and find a brand of diapers that doesn't blow out?

IME that happened when you needed to move up to the next size.

> > When DS was a newborn, we used cotton pads dipped in water
> > instead of wipes.
>
> I'll keep that in mind - especially if the baby turns out to have a
> sensitive behind.

You may find your hands give out first. I've been using commercial wipes
(Huggies) on DS2 and my hands are drying out horribly. Am planning to move
bck to cloth nappies once I stop needing them more than he does (and before
anyone starts worrying, let me assure you that I have a serious oversupply of
breast milk!).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Chookie
June 30th 05, 01:49 PM
In article om>,
"Elle" > wrote:

> Do you have a snot sucker? We didn't & had to go out and get one.

DS has a cold at the moment and honestly, I'd be worried about introducing a
foreign body into those tiny nostrils (I've never seen them recommended here,
come to think of it). He can sneeze it out himself!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

V.
June 30th 05, 01:50 PM
I'm not even due till Nov, so can't give any sage advice about baby things,
but one thing I plan to get are lots of books and videos. If you are in the
US and have a DVD player in the bedroom, Netflix is a great option
(Blockbuster has the same kind of thing). I'm also registering for baby
gifts at BabiesRUs, which runs their registry through Amazon, so I added an
Amazon "wish list" of books. Right now they are baby related for shower
gifts to read before birth, but since I'm due just before my birthday, DH's
birthday and Christmas, I will be updating it to include fun books I don't
have to think about.
We also already have a laptop with internet access in the bedroom, but if we
didn't I'd prob. get one. I just got a cheap laptop off Ebay a few years
ago (less than $300). Doesn't run new software, but is fine for internet
access. I'm amazed how often we use it....every night there is some actor
we can't quite place or a Jeopardy question that reminds us of something
else, etc!
Now, I'm a book and internet addict, so those are necessities for me. For
others, daytime TV would suffice for entertainment and chocolate would be
the necessity I'm sure!

Amy V.

EDD 11/25/05

Vanessa
June 30th 05, 02:12 PM
Amy wrote:

> I think I'm starting to nest.

Even though I really don't feel worthy of contributing to the list
because it's been covered so well and amusingly, I must comment that
this thread as well as the "Scary Wife - scary wife!" thread has had me
in stitches!=)

Vanessa
June 30th 05, 02:13 PM
Amy wrote:

> I think I'm starting to nest.

Even though I really don't feel worthy of contributing to the list
because it's been covered so well and amusingly, I must comment that
this thread as well as the "Scary Wife - scary wife!" thread has had me
in stitches!=)

Vanessa
Watch Samantha grow!
http://www.wickedracing19.com/samantha

Amy
June 30th 05, 02:56 PM
Unadulterated Me wrote:
> Amy wrote:
>
> > * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
> > supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)
>
> ? what in the hell are you planning on doing with those toys? Over 12
> children I don't think I've ever had toys that were shat on, a few baby
> rugs and play mats during nappyless time, but no toys. Plus I think I'd
> rather have the germs in my kids mouths than the chemicals from the
> cleaning products ;-)

This kid I was with this weekend was 3 months old, and she blew out two
diapers. Poo was *everywhere*. They used Febreeze and Orange Clean on
the car seat (which is where the first one occurred), Shout on Mom's
clothes (because she was on Mom's lap when the second one happened). I
was just figuring that it was a good idea to have those things on hand,
in large quantities, because my mom said that breastfed babies are more
likely to blow out than formula fed babies.

I also know a woman who was the single mom of twins - when they were
about two, she was napping (she was a nurse who worked nights) and the
girls smeared poo all over their room like finger paints - it got into
their toys, their beds, their walls, their clothes, etc. While I plan
to go to the store between birth and when my kids are two, I guess I'm
preparing for the worst, poo wise, because of the experiences of
friends.

And people keep telling me gross baby stories - our friends' two
daughters both projectile-shat at the walls when they were little. My
aunt's son had a blow out in a hotel (I was there for that one, I
couldn't believe that she didn't just throw everything away). I saw
this video of kids projectile vomiting to the tune of the 1812
Overature. My aunt's son did that, too, when he had pneumonia and we
had to give him really nasty medicine. I'm not expecting parenthood to
be a clean experience. I'd be happy to be proven wrong by my own kid,
though!

I thought that Orange Clean was relatively chemical free. And bleach
evaporates into nothing, so if I use that on plastic stuff (like the
interior of the car seat or one of those exersaucers) it'll dissipate,
hopefully before baby has to be in it. I don't want to find myself
with a big, poopy mess and nothing to clean it up with!!

> > What am I not thinking of?
>
> Some stuff for you. Before I had Oscar I wen to the body shop and bought
> some Brazil nut shower gel, Honey shampoo and conditioner, lots of
> little pamper things for me to use and make me feel queen life afterwards.
> A bottle of bubbly and a nice birthday cake to pop in the freezer for a
> special welcome baby happy 'birth'day celebration.

Ah! Good ideas! I'll add those to the list!

Thanks,
Amy

Amy
June 30th 05, 03:06 PM
Chookie wrote:

> > * Additive free laundry detergent (All Free, unless it annoys the baby,
> > because it's half the price of Dreft)
>
> If anyone's sensitive-skinned, yes -- but the only place I've ever heard
> people mention it is this ng. Everyone I know has stuck with their usual
> detergent.

DH has sensitive skin, so we use All Free anyway. They just came out
with dryer sheets, and I was really excited.

> > * Febreeze, Shout stain remover, Orange Clean, bleach, other cleaning
> > supplies (to clean toys and things that get pooped on)
>
> Stick with your regular supplies. I would avoid bleach or anything that can
> cause serious damage if drunk.

If the newborn is in the cabinet over the washer getting the bleach
out, I've got BIG problems!! :) Godzilla baby...

> > * Easy groceries - things that won't be complicated to make for meals
> > and snacks, preferably things that are reasonably healthy
>
> And drop a hint that you'd like meals as a gift, too.

Good call!

I know I'm not replying to every post, but I am reading them all, and I
thank all of you for your wit and wisdom!! My list is filling out
nicely!

Amy

Nikki
June 30th 05, 03:16 PM
KellyH wrote:

> OK, what's a peri bottle? Or do I want to know...

It looks like a sports drink bottle except it is softer. The pop top part
has 3 tiny holes in it. You fill it up with warm water to squeeze and spray
the water out to wash the vaginal area after using the bathroom. The water
just runs into the toilet. It felt very nice and cleaned the area, which
isn't easy those first few days if you have stitches.

--
Nikki

Irene
June 30th 05, 03:31 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:
> > On the snacks, also think of things that are easy to prepare and eat
> > one-handed! Plus, bottled water might not be a bad investment
> > (assuming you are going to bf) and maybe some oatmeal (to help supply).
>
> we bought a six pack of bottles with sports tops, after I finish one I
> refill it from the tap and put in in the fridge, so I always have a supply
> of chilled water.
>
> Anne

We do that too - though we don't usually put them in the fridge. I
think water tastes better in the plastic you get for bottled water than
the water bottles you buy - I'm not sure why, but after a while, it
just seems like the ones you buy make the water taste rancid.

Irene

Irene
June 30th 05, 03:39 PM
Chookie wrote:
> In article <MoHwe.1830228$Xk.181221@pd7tw3no>,
> "Plissken" > wrote:
>
> I know sooo many people that clean their baby toys once a week with bleach!
> > I was beginning to think I was a bad mommy for just washing them (with a bit
> > of soap & water) when they start to look dirty.
>
> <scratches head and tries to remember when she has ever cleaned any of the
> 4yo's toys>

Other than random cleaning as needed (say, food got stuck on it!), the
only time I did a major toy cleaning effort was when fighting thrush
when dd was a year old. I tried to use ammonia & water on everything
she had been putting in her mouth. That's the main problem with an
older baby getting thrush vs a newborn - at least the newborn isn't
putting *everything* in it's mouth!

Irene

Ericka Kammerer
June 30th 05, 03:41 PM
Nikki wrote:

> KellyH wrote:
>

>>OK, what's a peri bottle? Or do I want to know...
>

> It looks like a sports drink bottle except it is softer. The pop top part
> has 3 tiny holes in it. You fill it up with warm water to squeeze and spray
> the water out to wash the vaginal area after using the bathroom. The water
> just runs into the toilet. It felt very nice and cleaned the area, which
> isn't easy those first few days if you have stitches.

Basically a bidet for those who don't have one ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Sidheag McCormack
June 30th 05, 03:51 PM
Nikki writes:

> KellyH wrote:
>> OK, what's a peri bottle? Or do I want to know...

> It looks like a sports drink bottle except it is softer. The pop top
> part has 3 tiny holes in it. You fill it up with warm water to squeeze
> and spray the water out to wash the vaginal area after using the
> bathroom. The water just runs into the toilet. It felt very nice and
> cleaned the area, which isn't easy those first few days if you have
> stitches.

OTOH, I found that a (cheap, robust) jug worked fine. The peribottle sounds
a bit fiddly to me - sounds as though you'd have to aim it. A jugful of
warm water over the whole area was easy enough, and required no extra
purchase.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Cuddlefish
June 30th 05, 03:57 PM
"Sidheag McCormack" > wrote in message
> OTOH, I found that a (cheap, robust) jug worked fine. The peribottle
> sounds
> a bit fiddly to me - sounds as though you'd have to aim it. A jugful of
> warm water over the whole area was easy enough, and required no extra
> purchase.

How did you position yourself for the jug? The peri bottle does have to be
aimed, but to me that is an advantage. ;-)

--
Jacqueline
#1 Due late Jul/early Aug

Emily
June 30th 05, 04:48 PM
xkatx wrote:
> "Irrational Number" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>Amy wrote:
>>
>>>* Industrial strength menstrual pads (any recommendations for a certain
>>>brand?), normal pads for when lochia tapers off
>>
>>I used any brand I could find. Just the
>>biggest, clunkiest, most horrible-looking
>>ones you'd never wear... those work well.
>>
>>And if you have too many, you can always
>>donate to a women's shelter. Sad to say,
>>but some women are there soon postpartum.
>>
>>-- Anita --
>

> That's a better idea (about donating) than I had... Where once my aunt went
> out and bough pads herself... Apparently my uncle was always the one to buy
> them from her - surpised the lot out of me! - and one time she was stuck and
> had to run out and make the purchase herself... She, actually, had no idea
> what she was really looking for, or what was the regular brand/type she
> likes that her husband buys, and the ones she ended up with ended up being
> giant, super sized ones... She laughed about it for ages saying how she'd be
> able to use one pad per period since she could just keep shifting it forward
> and forward to clean, unused areas...
> Anyways, probably had to be there... I know it's not funny, but it was
> really funny at the time, and heck, I'm smiling thinking about it right
> now...

That somehow reminded me that the super sized pads are sometimes
stored in first aid kits, in case of other kinds of bleeding, I
guess.

Emily

Nikki
June 30th 05, 05:16 PM
Sidheag McCormack wrote:

> OTOH, I found that a (cheap, robust) jug worked fine. The peribottle
> sounds a bit fiddly to me - sounds as though you'd have to aim it. A
> jugful of warm water over the whole area was easy enough, and
> required no extra purchase.

Hmm, I don't know. I can't imagine the jug ;-) Water everywhere?! I
wanted the aim, lol.

The hospital sent one home with me both times so I didn't actually go out
and purchase one.

The hardest part for me was that I wasn't able to stand at the sink and fill
it with warm water without wetting my pants. I had to go pee *right this
instant* not sit around looking and listening to the water run. It made
getting warm water..which was far superior..hard. In hindsight I almost
wished I had kept a jug of water in a crock-pot or something because when
you are tired, sore, and post partum..you don't need these inconveniences,
lol.

--
Nikki

L.A.
June 30th 05, 05:55 PM
Amy wrote:
> I think I'm starting to nest. I feel a sense of urgency to start
> buying supplies for after the baby's born - I'm thinking specifically
> of things that I'm unlikely to receive at a shower - like pads. No one
> is going to give you a big box o' Kotex as a gift, right?

Ha..that's what you'd think...but some friends and I made a jokey "kit"
of things you'll need that no one tells you about before the baby comes
for a friend's shower, and the big box of pads was included!

So, what
> things do I need that other people are unlikely to buy for me? I'm
> trying to think of it like being snowed in, because chances are that
> I'm not going to be wanting to run out to the store every five minutes,
> right? My list so far includes:

I'd say add some hemmoroid ointment, just in case. Also, if you plan
to breastfeed, some lansinoh or other nipple-soothing cream. You might
want to get a little spray bottle as well...in case your baby spits up
a lot. My son threw up everything he ate for thirteen months, and I
found a little water mixed with baking soda in a spray bottle worked
wonders for cleaning up messes and sour milk smells. A spare package
of washcloths wouldn't go astray either. You tend to go through a lot
more of them than you'd think. Other than those, that's about all I
can think of.

Good luck!
L.A.

Emily
June 30th 05, 06:18 PM
Some books I recommend:

Pre-birth: _The Red Tent_ (about a midwife in biblical
times --- lots of births!)

I also really enjoyed _Expecting Adam_, a memoir about
a mom carrying a DS baby.

While nursing an infant: _The Scientist in the Crib_
a presentation of current science on infant and toddler
learning, written for a lay audience.

Emily

Buzzy Bee
June 30th 05, 06:58 PM
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:31:45 +0100, "Iuil" > wrote:
>/me now has 3 packets of nighttime pads, didn't see AF for 18 months the
>last time and only used pads for postpartum in the last 20 years!

Maybe we could start a collection. I bought 2 packs when pregnant
with Seoras and one pack is still unopened.

I still habe half a pack of newborn Pampers that were yours btw.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
DS2: Lachlan Alan, 28th February 2005

Buzzy Bee
June 30th 05, 07:14 PM
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:45:59 -0700, Emily > wrote:

>I've seen similar situations at daycares (it might even be
>in various state's licensing requirements). It's about communicable
>diseases, and since the babies all chew on the toys, it doesn't
>seem like a bad idea to me...

Its entirely appropriate in a daycare (or library or whatever) where
there are multiple children, who may or may not be incubating chicken
pox or whatever, chewing on the toys. Its not necessarily appropriate
at home where the germs on the toys came from the kid in the first
place.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
DS2: Lachlan Alan, 28th February 2005

Buzzy Bee
June 30th 05, 07:15 PM
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:39:23 +1000, Chookie
> wrote:

>I packed a king-size Cherry Ripe (chocolate bar)

Mmmm, cherry ripe. Haven't had one of those.

Megan
who still hasn't packed a hospital bag, ever
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
DS2: Lachlan Alan, 28th February 2005

Sidheag McCormack
June 30th 05, 07:21 PM
Nikki writes:

> The hardest part for me was that I wasn't able to stand at the sink and
> fill it with warm water without wetting my pants. I had to go pee *right
> this instant* not sit around looking and listening to the water run. It
> made getting warm water..which was far superior..hard. In hindsight I
> almost wished I had kept a jug of water in a crock-pot or something
> because when you are tired, sore, and post partum..you don't need these
> inconveniences, lol.

I used to leave the jug full of water, and then if I felt I could manage
to, I'd refill it with warm water, and if I didn't, I'd use the water that
was in it regardless of temperature :-)

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Sidheag McCormack
June 30th 05, 07:24 PM
Cuddlefish writes:

> How did you position yourself for the jug? The peri bottle does have to
> be aimed, but to me that is an advantage. ;-)

I just sat a little back on the toilet seat, and poured. Water runs down a
surface even if the surface tilts back, IYSWIM, so it got to where it was
needed. Didn't end up with water all over the bathroom; did need to have a
towel handy when I stood up, but our bathroom is tiny so that was automatic
:-)

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Elle
June 30th 05, 09:18 PM
Nikki wrote:

> It looks like a sports drink bottle except it is softer. The pop top part
> has 3 tiny holes in it. You fill it up with warm water to squeeze and spray
> the water out to wash the vaginal area after using the bathroom. The water
> just runs into the toilet. It felt very nice and cleaned the area, which
> isn't easy those first few days if you have stitches.
>
> --
> Nikki

Yeah that's the one. It *does* feel nice LOL. Actually I was nervous
about peeing after I had the baby (I only had a small tear but it was a
psychological thing) so it was helpful to squirt some water on there to
get the peeing going.

I actually held onto mine, I think it might come in handy in the future
:) Don't think the jug thing would work for me, surely I'd have water
everywhere.

Elle

Elle
June 30th 05, 09:21 PM
Karlisa wrote:

> > Do you have a snot sucker? We didn't & had to go out and get one.
>
> I'm surprised they didn't give you one in the hospital (unless, of course,
> you had a home birth). I wouldn't recommend the cheap-o snot suckers
> (suction bulbs) that you can pick up at walmart or target. When the one
> that we got from the hospital got a hole in it, we had to go to a medical
> supply store to replace it. That thing cost $16, but it's the only one that
> works.

No we didn't get on in the hospital. Not a lot of freebies at all,
actually. We are Canadian, maybe our public hospitals have cut back.
You are supposed to bring your own diapers etc too, they did have some
but certainly weren't keeping stacks of them around.

The one we have works ok, takes a few squeezes to get the goods out. It
doesn't go right up her nose, just one the inside, so you have to get a
good seal going.

Elle

Elle
June 30th 05, 09:24 PM
Chookie wrote:

> DS has a cold at the moment and honestly, I'd be worried about introducing a
> foreign body into those tiny nostrils (I've never seen them recommended here,
> come to think of it). He can sneeze it out himself!

Our daughter caught a terrible cold when she was about 6 weeks and was
*so* congested and snotty. We had to use the saline drops as well as
the snot sucker. She is also very sneezy but it is rarely productive.
The mucus was just too thick, I think. The sucker thing doesn't go up
her nose, just kind of sits in the rim. It always takes a few squeezes
to ease whatever is in there out, it is quite gentle actually.

Elle

xkatx
June 30th 05, 09:33 PM
"Emily" > wrote in message
> xkatx wrote:
>> "Irrational Number" > wrote in message
>> link.net...

>>>I used any brand I could find. Just the
>>>biggest, clunkiest, most horrible-looking
>>>ones you'd never wear... those work well.
>>>
>>>And if you have too many, you can always
>>>donate to a women's shelter. Sad to say,
>>>but some women are there soon postpartum.
>>>
>>>-- Anita --
>>

>> That's a better idea (about donating) than I had... Where once my aunt
>> went out and bough pads herself... Apparently my uncle was always the one
>> to buy them from her - surpised the lot out of me! - and one time she was
>> stuck and had to run out and make the purchase herself... She, actually,
>> had no idea what she was really looking for, or what was the regular
>> brand/type she likes that her husband buys, and the ones she ended up
>> with ended up being giant, super sized ones... She laughed about it for
>> ages saying how she'd be able to use one pad per period since she could
>> just keep shifting it forward and forward to clean, unused areas...
>> Anyways, probably had to be there... I know it's not funny, but it was
>> really funny at the time, and heck, I'm smiling thinking about it right
>> now...
>
> That somehow reminded me that the super sized pads are sometimes
> stored in first aid kits, in case of other kinds of bleeding, I
> guess.
>
> Emily

Last Sept, when I sliced my entire knucke off while washing a glass (long
story short, glass broke, I sliced my entire knuckle off, could see knuckle
bone and the tendans) my DH used a new, clean tea towel to wrap my hand in.
I was in shock and bleeding all over the world, and after he had the
emergency staff at the hospital throw my good tea towel out, I got mad and
told him he should have grabbed a pad instead, and he just told me to not do
what I did ever again... lol At the time I said it making fun of the whole
situation... I didn't actually know they keep pads in first aid kits?

Chookie
July 1st 05, 11:44 AM
In article >,
Buzzy Bee > wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:39:23 +1000, Chookie
> > wrote:
>

> >I packed a king-size Cherry Ripe (chocolate bar)
>
> Mmmm, cherry ripe. Haven't had one of those.

Think glace cherries and coconut with a coating of dark chocolate!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Chookie
July 1st 05, 12:01 PM
In article . com>,
"Amy" > wrote:

> DH has sensitive skin, so we use All Free anyway. They just came out
> with dryer sheets, and I was really excited.

I've heard of these but never used them. Don't they put some weird waxy
coating on your clothes? Not sure I'd want that.

> If the newborn is in the cabinet over the washer getting the bleach
> out, I've got BIG problems!! :) Godzilla baby...

You would be surprised. Some friends of ours came out of the kitchen to
spring their DS 4 feet off the floor with his hand in the VCR slot. He wasn't
able to walk at the time.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Buzzy Bee
July 1st 05, 12:43 PM
On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:44:46 +1000, Chookie
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Buzzy Bee > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:39:23 +1000, Chookie
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >I packed a king-size Cherry Ripe (chocolate bar)
>>
>> Mmmm, cherry ripe. Haven't had one of those.
>
>Think glace cherries and coconut with a coating of dark chocolate!

Somehow I never finished the sentence. It should have read:

Haven't had one of those *in years* :) I am salivating now. Not only
can you not get them in the UK, I don't think you can get them in NZ
anymore either. Couldn't find any last time I was back. Ritter Sport
peppermint is nice, (just had two squares) but not as good.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
DS2: Lachlan Alan, 28th February 2005

Unadulterated Me
July 1st 05, 02:13 PM
Buzzy Bee wrote:

> Not only
> can you not get them in the UK, I don't think you can get them in NZ
> anymore either.

Yeah you can but they are ****ing awful, I can't stand Bounty bars either.

Andrea

Amy
July 1st 05, 03:06 PM
What am I going to have to do to get you to mail me one of those cherry
candy bars you were talking about over there?? :)

Chookie wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Amy" > wrote:
>
> > DH has sensitive skin, so we use All Free anyway. They just came out
> > with dryer sheets, and I was really excited.
>
> I've heard of these but never used them. Don't they put some weird waxy
> coating on your clothes? Not sure I'd want that.

I've never noticed a waxy coating... I could never remember to put the
liquid in, so I started using dryer sheets in college, and even though
I've got the sort of washer with a dispenser for the liquid now, I
still use sheets. They're handy for TONS of things, too. Stinky
shoes? Throw in a couple dryer sheets. Frizzy hair? Run a used one
over your brush. Static on the animals in the winter? Rub them down
with a used sheet, so they aren't zapping themselves...

> > If the newborn is in the cabinet over the washer getting the bleach
> > out, I've got BIG problems!! :) Godzilla baby...
>
> You would be surprised. Some friends of ours came out of the kitchen to
> spring their DS 4 feet off the floor with his hand in the VCR slot. He wasn't
> able to walk at the time.

Woah. Ok, I'm adding a child-proof lock for that cabinet to my list...

Amy

Joybelle
July 1st 05, 04:52 PM
"Chookie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Buzzy Bee > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:39:23 +1000, Chookie
> > > wrote:
> >

> > >I packed a king-size Cherry Ripe (chocolate bar)
> >
> > Mmmm, cherry ripe. Haven't had one of those.
>
> Think glace cherries and coconut with a coating of dark chocolate!

*drool* Those sound really, really, really yummy!!

I can make a chocolate covered cherry type bar, and it turns out quite
tasty. I think I might be digging out that recipe!

Joy