PDA

View Full Version : pubic bone pain...support belt?

V.
July 5th 05, 06:05 PM
I am 19.5 weeks with my first and noticed some pubic bone pain today.
Not too horrible, just uncomfortable when walking, especially on
stairs. I'm hoping it doesn't move onto full blown SPD, and stays just
niggling uncomfortable. I've been reading that "belly bands" and other
support belts might be helpful, but in looking at advertisements, most
talk about helping lower back pain from a big belly. I'm barely
showing, so that's not relevant to me. Anyone have any recommendations
on what type of support garment could be helpful for pubic bone pain,
if any? I have this hope that if I start wearing something now it will
prevent future SPD... :)
Any experience with pubic bone pain at 20ish weeks and how that turned
out would be helpful too. My googling shows that it isn't something to
be hugely worried about in terms of the safety of the pregnancy, "just"
comfort of the mom. Let me know if you have different info, 'cause
otherwise I plan to bring it up with the midwife I'm interviewing in 2
weeks and _not_ try to get an appt with my current OB sooner.

Thanks!
Amy
EDD 11/25/05

xkatx
July 5th 05, 07:09 PM
"V." > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am 19.5 weeks with my first and noticed some pubic bone pain today.
> Not too horrible, just uncomfortable when walking, especially on
> stairs. I'm hoping it doesn't move onto full blown SPD, and stays just
> niggling uncomfortable. I've been reading that "belly bands" and other
> support belts might be helpful, but in looking at advertisements, most
> talk about helping lower back pain from a big belly. I'm barely
> showing, so that's not relevant to me. Anyone have any recommendations
> on what type of support garment could be helpful for pubic bone pain,
> if any? I have this hope that if I start wearing something now it will
> prevent future SPD... :)
> Any experience with pubic bone pain at 20ish weeks and how that turned
> out would be helpful too. My googling shows that it isn't something to
> be hugely worried about in terms of the safety of the pregnancy, "just"
> comfort of the mom. Let me know if you have different info, 'cause
> otherwise I plan to bring it up with the midwife I'm interviewing in 2
> weeks and _not_ try to get an appt with my current OB sooner.
>
> Thanks!
> Amy
> EDD 11/25/05

Well, first off, I had a bit of pain every now and then, and sounds kind of
similar to what you're describing. My friend had suggested trying the
support hose that is made for pregnant women. I did try it, and it did seem
to give some relief, but as I think about it, it might just have been all in
my mind. I found that support hose made it feel like all my insides were
more where they were supposed to be, rather than all jumbled up. Also
helped with my legs and bum as well, so maybe that could be an option to try
out? For not much money, I found it did help me a little, and I also found
that the little bit of uncomfortable feeling down there went away shortly
after. This was probably around 20ish weeks or so for me.
As far as the support belts go, I HATED it! I found that thing to be the
most uncomfortable thing ever. It got all hot and sweaty and I just did not
like it, yet I've heard some women swear by it. I now have that same pain,
although it feels quite a bit more extreme than it did a couple months ago,
but I think at the point I'm at (EDD is 07/25/05) some discomfort is to be
expected. The support hose is not even worth my time to try and sqish
myself up to put on, and that support belt is just torture for me.
Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest! :(

DamnOkie
July 5th 05, 08:06 PM
A belt or belly bra may help.

I had terrible pubic bone pain with my fourth child.

Try doing a search on eBay....

Samantha

"V." > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am 19.5 weeks with my first and noticed some pubic bone pain today.
> Not too horrible, just uncomfortable when walking, especially on
> stairs. I'm hoping it doesn't move onto full blown SPD, and stays just
> niggling uncomfortable. I've been reading that "belly bands" and other
> support belts might be helpful, but in looking at advertisements, most
> talk about helping lower back pain from a big belly. I'm barely
> showing, so that's not relevant to me. Anyone have any recommendations
> on what type of support garment could be helpful for pubic bone pain,
> if any? I have this hope that if I start wearing something now it will
> prevent future SPD... :)
> Any experience with pubic bone pain at 20ish weeks and how that turned
> out would be helpful too. My googling shows that it isn't something to
> be hugely worried about in terms of the safety of the pregnancy, "just"
> comfort of the mom. Let me know if you have different info, 'cause
> otherwise I plan to bring it up with the midwife I'm interviewing in 2
> weeks and _not_ try to get an appt with my current OB sooner.
>
> Thanks!
> Amy
> EDD 11/25/05

Ilse Witch
July 5th 05, 09:30 PM
I started having pains in my pubic bone around 17w with the twins, and a
support belt worked wonders for me when standing or walking. I have two,
one is just the belt, the other has an elastic extension that covers the
whole belly. At first I favoured the belt only, since I had nothing to put
into the extension. But at the moment I prefer the other, since it rests
my abs a bit better. Just go to a maternity store and see if you can try
some on. You should notice the difference almost instantly.

What also works well for me is doing exercises to strenghten the pelvic
floor muscles. These include the ones that hold your pubic bone together,
and so they can help lessen the complaints in the long run. Plain kegels
work fine, but also gently rocking your knees from left to right (not
too far!) while lying on your back (not too flat if that makes you
uncomfortable). Pelvic tilts are also good, make sure you tilt both
forward and backward, and hold at the maximum tilt for a few deep breaths.
Do the tilts and kegels both sitting and lying down.

Sleep with a small pillow between your legs, and when you lift your upper
leg when lying on your side, support the knee with a pillow. Later on
also support your belly with a pillow. When rolling over onto the other
side, always first bring your knees together and roll as if your body is
rigid from hips to knees. When you get out of bed, roll onto your side,
extend your legs out first and use their leverage to lift your upper body.
If necessary push with your lower arm. It can help to switch sides every
now and then, so you build up strength evenly. When standing up from
sitting, always first plant your feet firmly on the floor, straigthen your
back and then push yourself up from your knees (same thing when you need
to lift stuff).

In my case the pains became significantly less after 4-5 weeks, when the
babies were no longer pushing on the pubic bone from the inside, but lying
more on top of it. They are still transverse, and that makes for a huge
difference compared to my pregnancy with DS at this time (32w). He engaged
around 30w, causing enormous pressure onto my pubic bone. Now I can still
stand on one leg and dry myself after a shower, with DS I was almost
immobile at times.

It is hard to say where this will lead, but with good exercise and being
concious of how you move around, you should be able to control it for a
good long time. If you are not, a chiropractor may help. Make sure to talk
to your OB/GYN about it too. It is indeed harmless for the baby, in fact
what you feel is the stretching of the ligaments that hold the two parts
of your pubic bone together. But from a minor complaint it can become a
major problem, to the point that you can no longer walk or stand. You want
to prevent that at all costs, if possible.

HTH!

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)

V.
July 5th 05, 09:52 PM
Thanks! that does help. I don't have a maternity store near me, so I guess
I'll try getting a few varieties of belts on Ebay and see what works. I'll
try the exercises you suggested too! Unfortunately, the pain went from "not
bad" when I originally posted this morning to "I don't want to walk if I can
avoid it" this afternoon. We'll see what ice packs and Tylenol have to say.
Fortunately, I work a 3 day week this week and am then on vacation with 5
other people that won't let me do anything all week so I'll have some
enforced rest. I wallpapered this weekend and I'm hoping I just got carried
away and some rest will fix it!

Thanks for the help!
Amy

V.
July 5th 05, 09:53 PM
"DamnOkie" > wrote in message
news:1120590345.931db4193f2f1b4e99e238c6966ecafe@t eranews...
>A belt or belly bra may help.
>
> I had terrible pubic bone pain with my fourth child.
>
> Try doing a search on eBay....
>
> Samantha

Yeah, I did check Ebay and they have lots of types of support belts and
garments, but I don't know what will work best for this problem (it's not
that my belly sticks out and needs support). I think I'll just buy a few
types on Ebay and see for myself!

Thanks,
Amy

V.
July 5th 05, 09:55 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message

> "V." > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>I am 19.5 weeks with my first and noticed some pubic bone pain today.
>> Not too horrible, just uncomfortable when walking, especially on
>> stairs. I'm hoping it doesn't move onto full blown SPD, and stays just
>> niggling uncomfortable. I've been reading that "belly bands" and other
>> support belts might be helpful, but in looking at advertisements, most
>> talk about helping lower back pain from a big belly. I'm barely
>> showing, so that's not relevant to me. Anyone have any recommendations
>> on what type of support garment could be helpful for pubic bone pain,
>> if any? I have this hope that if I start wearing something now it will
>> prevent future SPD... :)
>> Any experience with pubic bone pain at 20ish weeks and how that turned
>> out would be helpful too. My googling shows that it isn't something to
>> be hugely worried about in terms of the safety of the pregnancy, "just"
>> comfort of the mom. Let me know if you have different info, 'cause
>> otherwise I plan to bring it up with the midwife I'm interviewing in 2
>> weeks and _not_ try to get an appt with my current OB sooner.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Amy
>> EDD 11/25/05
>
> Well, first off, I had a bit of pain every now and then, and sounds kind
> of similar to what you're describing. My friend had suggested trying the
> support hose that is made for pregnant women. I did try it, and it did
> seem to give some relief, but as I think about it, it might just have been
> all in my mind. I found that support hose made it feel like all my
> insides were more where they were supposed to be, rather than all jumbled
> up. Also helped with my legs and bum as well, so maybe that could be an
> option to try out? For not much money, I found it did help me a little,
> and I also found that the little bit of uncomfortable feeling down there
> went away shortly after. This was probably around 20ish weeks or so for
> me.
> As far as the support belts go, I HATED it! I found that thing to be the
> most uncomfortable thing ever. It got all hot and sweaty and I just did
> not like it, yet I've heard some women swear by it. I now have that same
> pain, although it feels quite a bit more extreme than it did a couple
> months ago, but I think at the point I'm at (EDD is 07/25/05) some
> discomfort is to be expected. The support hose is not even worth my time
> to try and sqish myself up to put on, and that support belt is just
> torture for me.
> Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest! :(

Thanks for the advice! I can't imagine wearing support hose right now
during the summer, but maybe those support underwear/girdles would be a good
choice. I'm glad that the pain went away for you (at least for a while),
gives me hope that it will for me too! It got quite a bit worse today, but
I overdid it this weekend, so I'm hoping some rest will help.
Thanks for the response!

Amy

xkatx
July 6th 05, 01:13 AM
"V." > wrote in message

> [...]
>> most uncomfortable thing ever. It got all hot and sweaty and I just did
>> not like it, yet I've heard some women swear by it. I now have that same
>> pain, although it feels quite a bit more extreme than it did a couple
>> months ago, but I think at the point I'm at (EDD is 07/25/05) some
>> discomfort is to be expected. The support hose is not even worth my time
>> to try and sqish myself up to put on, and that support belt is just
>> torture for me.
>> Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest! :(
>>

> Thanks for the advice! I can't imagine wearing support hose right now
> during the summer, but maybe those support underwear/girdles would be a
> good choice. I'm glad that the pain went away for you (at least for a
> while), gives me hope that it will for me too! It got quite a bit worse
> today, but I overdid it this weekend, so I'm hoping some rest will help.

When I was around 20 weeks, it was still a bit cooler... It would have been
around the beginning of March or so. The heat wasn't an issue at all back
then ;) Now when I tried the belly support belts, I definitely hated it and
it was hot hot hot! It still is too hot, and even today, it was 30C... Too
hot for me... I just wanted to walk around naked, but I assumed the general
population wouldn't be impressed with that ;) lol

Grymma
July 6th 05, 10:28 AM
V. wrote:
> "DamnOkie" > wrote in message
> news:1120590345.931db4193f2f1b4e99e238c6966ecafe@t eranews...
>> A belt or belly bra may help.
>>
>> I had terrible pubic bone pain with my fourth child.
>>
>> Try doing a search on eBay....
>>
>> Samantha
>>

> Yeah, I did check Ebay and they have lots of types of support belts and
> garments, but I don't know what will work best for this problem (it's not
> that my belly sticks out and needs support). I think I'll just buy a few
> types on Ebay and see for myself!

I found that the basic 'strip of elastic' belt worked well to 'hold my
pelvis together' when I started getting pubic pain from week 15 or so
onwards. As you say, not much of a belly to support, but needed something.
If you're lucky it won't turn to full SPD - I found I needed the belt for 5
or 6 weeks then the pain diminished. If it comes back I've still got the
belt :o)

--
Grymma AFPOh Goddess Of Hangovers; B.F.(use 'reply to')
"I bear no grudges. I have a mind that retains nothing."- Bette Midler

V.
July 6th 05, 10:44 PM
"Grymma" > wrote in message
. uk...
> V. wrote:
>> "DamnOkie" > wrote in message
>> news:1120590345.931db4193f2f1b4e99e238c6966ecafe@t eranews...
>>> A belt or belly bra may help.
>>>
>>> I had terrible pubic bone pain with my fourth child.
>>>
>>> Try doing a search on eBay....
>>>
>>> Samantha
>>>

>> Yeah, I did check Ebay and they have lots of types of support belts and
>> garments, but I don't know what will work best for this problem (it's not
>> that my belly sticks out and needs support). I think I'll just buy a few
>> types on Ebay and see for myself!
>

> I found that the basic 'strip of elastic' belt worked well to 'hold my
> pelvis together' when I started getting pubic pain from week 15 or so
> onwards. As you say, not much of a belly to support, but needed something.
> If you're lucky it won't turn to full SPD - I found I needed the belt for
> 5 or 6 weeks then the pain diminished. If it comes back I've still got the
> belt :o)

Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed....there are half a million
maternity support garments...girdles, belly bands, whole body bra things,
fancy underpants, etc. I also like knowing that A) it started in the second
trimester for someone else too and B) It got better! I'll buy one of the
elastic band thingies, and I'm going on vacation next week with family who
will wait on me hand and foot. I can lounge by the lake with a book and
just get up to pee! (a lot, still) :)

Thanks for the info,
Amy

Ilse Witch
July 8th 05, 09:16 PM
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:52:22 -0400, V. wrote:

> I wallpapered this weekend and I'm hoping I just got carried away and
> some rest will fix it!

Hehe, most likely that's the problem! Be careful with icepacks though, for
me it felt better when I applied heat. Since the problem is the stretch of
the ligaments, ice will only stiffen them more and can actually make it
worse (but doesn't have to). Just do whatever feels good to you, that is
usually the best way to go.

Another thing that helped me was to try to relax while walking. When
you're in pain, your first response is to tense up, and that will
definitely make it worse. Instead, take small steps and wiggle your pelvis
like a model on the catwalk. It looks weird, but works great!

I hope you feel better after getting some rest!

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)
mommy to four tiny angels (Oct '03 - Oct '04)
guardian of DH (age classified)
expecting twins (boy/girl) in August

Ruth Shear
July 20th 05, 11:12 PM
G'day

My sister's been visiting from Aus so I've got a number of topics that
have all piled up in the last week and a half...

1. I had my "20 wk" u/s a week and a half ago at 21 1/2 wks. Although
both CVS and amnio had come back all clear, I was still a little
apprehensive given what Joy went through. Glad to report that all went
great although Venus the fetus (surpriseberry but DS is sure it's a girl
and named her) was very active and wouldn't stay still for very long. As
first suggested by elizabeth, I have an anterior placenta which explains
why I took so long to feel anything, and things still seem muffled, but
I definitely feel stuff every day now.

2. They gave me my bottle for the Glucose tolerance test for our next
visit. Guess it's time to go back and google this group to find out what
all the fuss is about. I gather you guys think that in general this is
not necessary?

3. Several posts recently finally made me look up what SPD was - I had
no idea about this particular possible pg symptom. For the several weeks
I've had some pubic bone pain, but it doesn't seem to match the
descriptions on the websites I've read about SPD. For me it doesn't seem
to be pain on walking, stairs, or any uneven leg activity. The front of
my left side of the pubic bone feels sore, almost tender to touch, like
it is a deep bruise healing, but it doesn't hurt due to motion, only to
touch.

I'm wondering if this is because I "popped" on this second pregancy. I
have a large belly without the support of a big muscular uterus in there
(yet). My doctor suggested about a month ago that if I started to feel
muscular aches/tiredness I should look into a support belt. It had been
over 100 degrees most days so the idea of anything on my belly makes me
sweat. I had taken to walking around the house in dresses with no
undies, or just damn naked. Pity I can't do that at work. I finally bit
the bullet and bought a support belt that actually has decent breathable
bits so it isn't unbearably hot, and it does seem to help (meaning when
I take it off I can really feel the difference), but the pain on my
pubic bone is still there. No better. No worse. Could it be SPD even
though it doesn't seem to fit the criteria? Or what else? Maybe a
stretched ligament or something. I did have an emergency CS last time -
maybe it's something to do with scarring or adhesions?

4. On Monday I discovered I was covered in little red spots. No
blisters, nothing in the middle. Just dots. Mostly little like several
mm diameter. I don't feel sick. They are not itchy. After some panic
and some deep breathing, I got into my OB nurse practioner who reminded
me that I had been tested for both rubella and varicella immunity and
was fine there. None of the standard hormonal pregnancy rashes (like
PUPPS) fit the bill. Blood tests for liver function, etc all came back
clear. DS sagely told the nurse that his diagnosis was that I had
obviously touched a leopard, but not to worry because I had only spots
but not yet grown a tail. He's watching my butt. LOL.

It's a mystery. I'm off to the dermatologist tomorrow.

DrRuth

Emily
July 20th 05, 11:22 PM
Ruth Shear wrote:

> 4. On Monday I discovered I was covered in little red spots. No
> blisters, nothing in the middle. Just dots. Mostly little like several
> mm diameter. I don't feel sick. They are not itchy. After some panic
> and some deep breathing, I got into my OB nurse practioner who reminded
> me that I had been tested for both rubella and varicella immunity and
> was fine there. None of the standard hormonal pregnancy rashes (like
> PUPPS) fit the bill. Blood tests for liver function, etc all came back
> clear. DS sagely told the nurse that his diagnosis was that I had
> obviously touched a leopard, but not to worry because I had only spots
> but not yet grown a tail. He's watching my butt. LOL.

Too cute! But seriously, pehaps it's a heat rash?

Emily

Ericka Kammerer
July 21st 05, 01:32 AM
Ruth Shear wrote:

> 2. They gave me my bottle for the Glucose tolerance test for our next
> visit. Guess it's time to go back and google this group to find out what
> all the fuss is about. I gather you guys think that in general this is
> not necessary?

I wouldn't say that people think that in general. The
overwhelming majority of women in the US take the test, and
treat if they are diagnosed with GD. Personally, I am
unpersuaded that treatment helps in cases of true GD. The
tricky bit is that some women have undiagnosed pre-existing
diabetes, and treatment might make a difference for that
(although, if you're a true diabetic, you should have been
treating from the beginning for best results). You might
check out what Henci Goer has to say on the matter
(google on "henci goer" and "gestational diabetes" for
a couple of articles she's written on the subject).

> 3. Several posts recently finally made me look up what SPD was - I had
> no idea about this particular possible pg symptom. For the several weeks
> I've had some pubic bone pain, but it doesn't seem to match the
> descriptions on the websites I've read about SPD. For me it doesn't seem
> to be pain on walking, stairs, or any uneven leg activity. The front of
> my left side of the pubic bone feels sore, almost tender to touch, like
> it is a deep bruise healing, but it doesn't hurt due to motion, only to
> touch.

I wouldn't think that was SPD, but it does happen to
some women (and it might be a bit of a precursor to SPD as
the baby gets heavier).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 08:04 AM
"Ruth Shear" > wrote in message
> G'day
>
> My sister's been visiting from Aus so I've got a number of topics that
> have all piled up in the last week and a half...
>
> 1. I had my "20 wk" u/s a week and a half ago at 21 1/2 wks. Although
> both CVS and amnio had come back all clear, I was still a little
> apprehensive given what Joy went through. Glad to report that all went
> great although Venus the fetus (surpriseberry but DS is sure it's a girl
> and named her) was very active and wouldn't stay still for very long. As
> first suggested by elizabeth, I have an anterior placenta which explains
> why I took so long to feel anything, and things still seem muffled, but
> I definitely feel stuff every day now.

I'm so glad all turned out well on your u/s! I didn't have a CVS or an
amnio, btw, just a screening u/s, when we received our first diagnosis. The
u/s at the peri's office was clearer and then we had the amnio (which has
confirmed the spina bifida and ruled out common chromosomal abnormalities)

I also have an anterior placenta, and last time I had a posterior placenta.
It's amazing how movement is so different! It will be interesting to see if
DS is correct in his guess of the gender. :) Isn't it fun how they can be
so certain??

*snip*

> 4. On Monday I discovered I was covered in little red spots. No
> blisters, nothing in the middle. Just dots. Mostly little like several
> mm diameter. I don't feel sick. They are not itchy. After some panic
> and some deep breathing, I got into my OB nurse practioner who reminded
> me that I had been tested for both rubella and varicella immunity and
> was fine there. None of the standard hormonal pregnancy rashes (like
> PUPPS) fit the bill. Blood tests for liver function, etc all came back
> clear. DS sagely told the nurse that his diagnosis was that I had
> obviously touched a leopard, but not to worry because I had only spots
> but not yet grown a tail. He's watching my butt. LOL.
>
> It's a mystery. I'm off to the dermatologist tomorrow.

It sounds like heat rash to me! Hopefully, the dermatologist was able to
help. Humidity and heat usually give me heat rash, and it looks terrible
(feels terrible, too).

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Ruth Shear
July 22nd 05, 08:48 PM
G'day

Joybelle wrote:

> It sounds like heat rash to me! Hopefully, the dermatologist was able to
> help. Humidity and heat usually give me heat rash, and it looks terrible
> (feels terrible, too).

Well give y'all a prize. That's the best the dermatologist could come up
with, given that the spots were fading and he looked at one small sample
of them for all of about 20 seconds. Well maybe 50 secs. OK. He said
milaria, but google tells me that that is heat rash.

It was much hotter and more humid several weeks ago. It wasn't in the
folds of my clothes, or under my clothes only, it was all over my body.
But it's fading so the point is moot now. Puzzling, but hopefully
something I don't need to puzzle over any more.

I think Joshua is a little disappointed that he isn't going to have a
feline mother..

DrRuth

Ruth Shear
July 22nd 05, 08:54 PM
G'day

I asked about the GTT and Ericka wrote:

> I wouldn't say that people think that in general. The
> overwhelming majority of women in the US take the test, and
> treat if they are diagnosed with GD. Personally, I am
> unpersuaded that treatment helps in cases of true GD. The
> tricky bit is that some women have undiagnosed pre-existing
> diabetes, and treatment might make a difference for that
> (although, if you're a true diabetic, you should have been
> treating from the beginning for best results). You might
> check out what Henci Goer has to say on the matter
> (google on "henci goer" and "gestational diabetes" for
> a couple of articles she's written on the subject).

Now that was an interesting read - thanks. I'm slowly making my way
through her "thinking womans guide" book too. It's making me more and
more disillusioned. I thought I knew how bad things were, but I didn't.
There were aspects of my last birth experience that I have mulled over
in my head and wished I did differently, but now I find myself second
guessing and wondering over almost all the decisions that were made
(induction by breaking the membranes and then pit due to fetal
monitoring showing heart slowing, and then a final emergency cs due to
again fetal monitoring showing heart slowing and failure to progress
presumed due to too big a head, but on delivery the cone on his head
showed he just wasn't aimed right out of my pelvis).

Sigh. There's no way I can talk DH out of a hospital birth, but I'm
going to have to educate him with this book and maybe add a doula to our
mix..

Emily said:

> I wouldn't think that was SPD, but it does happen to
> some women (and it might be a bit of a precursor to SPD as
> the baby gets heavier).

I am thinking it's a little more sore in the last day or two, and
yesterday my pelvis was sore at the back around the sacral area. I've
made an appointment with my chiropractor for next week and am being
pretty careful about how I move my body in the meantime.

DrRuth

Ruth Shear
July 22nd 05, 09:03 PM
G'day

Joybelle wrote:

> I'm so glad all turned out well on your u/s! I didn't have a CVS or an
> amnio, btw, just a screening u/s, when we received our first diagnosis. The
> u/s at the peri's office was clearer and then we had the amnio (which has
> confirmed the spina bifida and ruled out common chromosomal abnormalities)

Thanks. Yeah we did the CVS and I dont' know what I was smoking - no
amnio this time, that was last pregnancy, we did AFP this time - because
I'm 42 and probabilities are headed through the roof for genetic and
chromosomal problems. Plus DH and I are both scientists, so we need
facts damn it! And I know even with a clear CVS, AFP and u/s things can
still go wrong. But I do feel better.

> I also have an anterior placenta, and last time I had a posterior placenta.
> It's amazing how movement is so different!

It IS amazing. The first time around I felt movement a few weeks before
they "say" is typical, and so this time "knowing" what it would feel
like, I was hoping to feel it much sooner. I've had a pretty rough
pregnancy this time around. Having loved it last time, I am still
waiting to love it this time and it's not happening for me. 8-( But I am
glad that I can finally feel it. I try to get DS to feel but he won't
stay still long enough to really feel something - no matter, he says he
feels things and hears things and really communes with my belly. This
morning I woke up to him leaning over my belly making a "BBBRRING!!"
sound - an alarm clock noise to wake up Venus so he could tell the fetus
all about his dream about cats.

> It will be interesting to see if DS is correct in his guess of the gender.
> :) Isn't it fun how they can be so certain??

When I first asked him what he thought his sibling would be he thought
very deeply for a day or two and then came back that he was the big
brother so this one *must* be a girl. Then he added "and the NEXT one
will be a boy". hahahaha

In reality, DH does know the gender (because they of course know it from
the CVS tests). He asked if I would mind him finding out because he
wanted to know what it was like "to know", and I said sure as long as he
told no one else because I did NOT want to know. There are not enough
nice surprises in the world. MIL is furious that he won't tell her. LOL.
Every now and then I point out to DS that Venus may be a boy and he says
yes.. but I think she's a girl. I honestly don't mind which it is, but
find myself talking about it as a girl all the time!

DrRuth

Mary W.
July 22nd 05, 09:09 PM
Ruth Shear wrote:
> G'day
>
> I asked about the GTT and Ericka wrote:
>

>> I wouldn't say that people think that in general. The
>>overwhelming majority of women in the US take the test, and
>>treat if they are diagnosed with GD. Personally, I am
>>unpersuaded that treatment helps in cases of true GD. The
>>tricky bit is that some women have undiagnosed pre-existing
>>diabetes, and treatment might make a difference for that
>>(although, if you're a true diabetic, you should have been
>>treating from the beginning for best results). You might
>>check out what Henci Goer has to say on the matter
>>(google on "henci goer" and "gestational diabetes" for
>>a couple of articles she's written on the subject).
>

> Now that was an interesting read - thanks. I'm slowly making my way
> through her "thinking womans guide" book too. It's making me more and
> more disillusioned. I thought I knew how bad things were, but I didn't.
> There were aspects of my last birth experience that I have mulled over
> in my head and wished I did differently, but now I find myself second
> guessing and wondering over almost all the decisions that were made
> (induction by breaking the membranes and then pit due to fetal
> monitoring showing heart slowing, and then a final emergency cs due to
> again fetal monitoring showing heart slowing and failure to progress
> presumed due to too big a head, but on delivery the cone on his head
> showed he just wasn't aimed right out of my pelvis).
>
> Sigh. There's no way I can talk DH out of a hospital birth, but I'm
> going to have to educate him with this book and maybe add a doula to our
> mix..

Oh, goodness, I didn't realize that about your first birth- so
you are shooting for a VBAC? The ican list can be a good
support area, although I was on it right after my first birth
(section). It helped me with alot of my emotional healing, but
I really wanted a very postitive pregnancy for my second, so
I never went back on the list. (www.ican-online.org)

The single thing that really helped me have an unmedicated
VBAC was hiring a doula. She was an incredible support to
both me and my husband, helped us work through our feelings
about DD1's birth and was an incredible support through
the last few weeks of my pregnancy and our VBAC. So I strongly
recommend finding a doula, preferable one who has attended
VBACs.

Best of luck!

Mary W.

Ericka Kammerer
July 22nd 05, 09:22 PM
Ruth Shear wrote:

> G'day
>
> I asked about the GTT and Ericka wrote:
>

>> I wouldn't say that people think that in general. The
>>overwhelming majority of women in the US take the test, and
>>treat if they are diagnosed with GD. Personally, I am
>>unpersuaded that treatment helps in cases of true GD. The
>>tricky bit is that some women have undiagnosed pre-existing
>>diabetes, and treatment might make a difference for that
>>(although, if you're a true diabetic, you should have been
>>treating from the beginning for best results). You might
>>check out what Henci Goer has to say on the matter
>>(google on "henci goer" and "gestational diabetes" for
>>a couple of articles she's written on the subject).
>

> Now that was an interesting read - thanks. I'm slowly making my way
> through her "thinking womans guide" book too. It's making me more and
> more disillusioned. I thought I knew how bad things were, but I didn't.
> There were aspects of my last birth experience that I have mulled over
> in my head and wished I did differently, but now I find myself second
> guessing and wondering over almost all the decisions that were made
> (induction by breaking the membranes and then pit due to fetal
> monitoring showing heart slowing, and then a final emergency cs due to
> again fetal monitoring showing heart slowing and failure to progress
> presumed due to too big a head, but on delivery the cone on his head
> showed he just wasn't aimed right out of my pelvis).
>
> Sigh. There's no way I can talk DH out of a hospital birth, but I'm
> going to have to educate him with this book and maybe add a doula to our
> mix..

Yeah, I really sympathize with your situation. I just
thank my lucky stars that I and my husband felt good about
homebirth from the beginning and had great caregivers. I
don't know what I'd have done if DH was really uncomfortable
about homebirth. But, it's nearly impossible to explain to
someone who hasn't been there just how *huge* the difference
really is. It's like this huge gulf you almost can't bridge.
Still, I think Henci gives a lot of hope that you *can* get
what you want out of a hospital birth if you're very careful
in your earlier decisions and you really educate yourself.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Molly Fisher
July 23rd 05, 03:28 PM
In article >,
Ruth Shear > wrote:

Wow, congrats Ruth! I remember you from m.k.b about a year or so ago.
I've only just started reading this group again (I'm 6 weeks pg at age
41) so I apologise for the belated congratulations. I'm so happy for you
and your family. Your DS is such a cutie!

--
Molly
http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/

Emily
July 23rd 05, 04:36 PM
Ruth Shear wrote:
> Well give y'all a prize. That's the best the dermatologist could come up
> with, given that the spots were fading and he looked at one small sample
> of them for all of about 20 seconds. Well maybe 50 secs. OK. He said
> milaria, but google tells me that that is heat rash.
>
> It was much hotter and more humid several weeks ago. It wasn't in the
> folds of my clothes, or under my clothes only, it was all over my body.
> But it's fading so the point is moot now. Puzzling, but hopefully
> something I don't need to puzzle over any more.
>
> I think Joshua is a little disappointed that he isn't going to have a
> feline mother..

Glad to hear it's getting better!

Emily

Ruth Shear
July 25th 05, 04:01 AM
G'day

Molly Fisher wrote:

> Wow, congrats Ruth! I remember you from m.k.b about a year or so ago.
> I've only just started reading this group again (I'm 6 weeks pg at age
> 41) so I apologise for the belated congratulations. I'm so happy for you
> and your family. Your DS is such a cutie!

Hey thanks. Congrats on the new pg and watch out - I'm finding it a lot
harder the second time around. Hopefully you won't.

I've finally got DS's website back up to date, well within a week or
two, so I'll add it back to my .sig (so his cutie-ness can be confirmed).

DrRuth
Mum to Joshua Eamon (Nov 15th, 2001), Venus the Fetus (EDD Nov 16th)
<http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~drruth/joshua/>

Ruth Shear
July 25th 05, 04:12 AM
G'day

Mary W. wrote:

> Oh, goodness, I didn't realize that about your first birth

Well I haven't posted about it so much because I used to feel like I did
pretty well - I insisted on longer than they wanted me to wait between
breaking the membranes didn't work and starting pit, and then on them
giving less pit than they wanted to, and then "natural" childbirth
without drugs all the way through until they had to do the spinal block
for the emergency CS.

The only thing I was doubtful about in hindsight (before reading Goer)
was by the time we got to pushing I'm not sure I was really remembering
all I had read and I'm sure most of my pushing was on my back or side.
After hearing that his head wasn't aimed right (by the conehead shape
being off center) and that agreed with the pain in the back of my
pelvis/back that I was feeling - then I wondered why I hadn't thought to
labour more on my knees, squatting, whatever (I hadn't been on mkp last
pg so I hadn't been bombarded with Gastaldoness - meant in a good way of
course Todd) and later wondered why no one else in the room had
suggested it. Now that I have read Goer, I am doubtful about whether
breaking the waters was called for, and whether the CS at the end was
necessary...

> so you are shooting for a VBAC?

But of course! I have already posted about my concern about my doctor
worrying about what happens if I go post-dates (last delivery was
induced two days before EDD), but I've talked it out with her and know
about the dangers of induction for a VBAC. We'll do regular monitoring
after 40 wks and negotiate from there.

> The ican list can be a good
> support area, although I was on it right after my first birth
> (section). It helped me with alot of my emotional healing, but
> I really wanted a very postitive pregnancy for my second, so
> I never went back on the list. (www.ican-online.org)

Thanks - I didn't know about that site. Have bookmarked it to read.

> The single thing that really helped me have an unmedicated
> VBAC was hiring a doula. She was an incredible support to
> both me and my husband, helped us work through our feelings
> about DD1's birth and was an incredible support through
> the last few weeks of my pregnancy and our VBAC. So I strongly
> recommend finding a doula, preferable one who has attended
> VBACs.

I'm thinking of this more and more now...

DrRuth
Mum to Joshua Eamon (Nov 15th, 2001), Venus the Fetus (EDD Nov 16th)
<http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~drruth/joshua/>

Ruth Shear
July 25th 05, 04:16 AM
G'day

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

> Yeah, I really sympathize with your situation. I just
> thank my lucky stars that I and my husband felt good about
> homebirth from the beginning and had great caregivers. I
> don't know what I'd have done if DH was really uncomfortable
> about homebirth. But, it's nearly impossible to explain to
> someone who hasn't been there just how *huge* the difference
> really is. It's like this huge gulf you almost can't bridge.
> Still, I think Henci gives a lot of hope that you *can* get
> what you want out of a hospital birth if you're very careful
> in your earlier decisions and you really educate yourself.

Well the night after writing that email and reading yours and Mary's
through my head and was in a foul mood the next day. I had a huge
argument about an entirely different topic with DH and then last night
he asked me what was really going on. So we've started talking and I've
started showing him Henci's numbers (he is a scientist like me, so he
likes the extensive referencing etc.)

I feel better already. 8-)

I'm not going to attempt a home delivery, but I'm talking to him about a
doula, we're talking about seeing what we can do about feeling fully
informed about various options, he even asked if I wanted to change from
my OB or not (which I don't, I like and trust her).

DrRuth
Mum to Joshua Eamon (Nov 15th, 2001), Venus the Fetus (EDD Nov 16th)
<http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~drruth/joshua/>

Ericka Kammerer
July 25th 05, 04:38 AM
Ruth Shear wrote:

> G'day
>
> Ericka Kammerer wrote:
>

>> Yeah, I really sympathize with your situation. I just
>>thank my lucky stars that I and my husband felt good about
>>homebirth from the beginning and had great caregivers. I
>>don't know what I'd have done if DH was really uncomfortable
>>about homebirth. But, it's nearly impossible to explain to
>>someone who hasn't been there just how *huge* the difference
>>really is. It's like this huge gulf you almost can't bridge.
>>Still, I think Henci gives a lot of hope that you *can* get
>>what you want out of a hospital birth if you're very careful
>>in your earlier decisions and you really educate yourself.
>

> Well the night after writing that email and reading yours and Mary's
> through my head and was in a foul mood the next day. I had a huge
> argument about an entirely different topic with DH and then last night
> he asked me what was really going on. So we've started talking and I've
> started showing him Henci's numbers (he is a scientist like me, so he
> likes the extensive referencing etc.)
>
> I feel better already. 8-)

Oh, good. I think it's very common for husbands to
be very weirded out by the notion of low intervention or out
of hospital birth, but many really come around when they see
how good the case for it is! I know my husband felt a lot
better after meeting and talking with the midwives (who
did wear long skirts and Birkenstocks, but also were very
intelligent and informed and had solid answers for all
his "what ifs") and seeing that I wasn't just looking at
all sorts of touchy-feely stuff, but was looking at real,
mainstream, peer-reviewed research.

> I'm not going to attempt a home delivery, but I'm talking to him about a
> doula, we're talking about seeing what we can do about feeling fully
> informed about various options, he even asked if I wanted to change from
> my OB or not (which I don't, I like and trust her).

Which, as you know, is ever so important ;-) You
can't afford to be afraid to change if your gut starts
telling you that she isn't on the same page as you, but
an OB who *is* really supportive is a treasure.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Todd Gastaldo
July 25th 05, 07:42 AM
"GASTALDONESS" - LOL!

See below.

in article , Ruth Shear at
wrote on 7/24/05 8:12 PM:

> G'day
>
> Mary W. wrote:
>
>> Oh, goodness, I didn't realize that about your first birth
>
> Well I haven't posted about it so much because I used to feel like I did
> pretty well - I insisted on longer than they wanted me to wait between
> breaking the membranes didn't work and starting pit, and then on them
> giving less pit than they wanted to, and then "natural" childbirth
> without drugs all the way through until they had to do the spinal block
> for the emergency CS.
>
> The only thing I was doubtful about in hindsight (before reading Goer)
> was by the time we got to pushing I'm not sure I was really remembering
> all I had read and I'm sure most of my pushing was on my back or side.
> After hearing that his head wasn't aimed right (by the conehead shape
> being off center) and that agreed with the pain in the back of my
> pelvis/back that I was feeling - then I wondered why I hadn't thought to
> labour more on my knees, squatting, whatever (I hadn't been on mkp last
> pg so I hadn't been bombarded with Gastaldoness - meant in a good way of
> course Todd) and later wondered why no one else in the room had
> suggested it. Now that I have read Goer, I am doubtful about whether
> breaking the waters was called for, and whether the CS at the end was
> necessary...

I have long been wondering why HENCI GOER fails to mention that
obstetricians are closing birth canals up to 30% and keeping birth canals
closed the "extra" up to 30% when babies get stuck.

Todd

>> so you are shooting for a VBAC?
>
> But of course! I have already posted about my concern about my doctor
> worrying about what happens if I go post-dates (last delivery was
> induced two days before EDD), but I've talked it out with her and know
> about the dangers of induction for a VBAC. We'll do regular monitoring
> after 40 wks and negotiate from there.
>
>> The ican list can be a good
>> support area, although I was on it right after my first birth
>> (section). It helped me with alot of my emotional healing, but
>> I really wanted a very postitive pregnancy for my second, so
>> I never went back on the list. (www.ican-online.org)
>
> Thanks - I didn't know about that site. Have bookmarked it to read.
>
>> The single thing that really helped me have an unmedicated
>> VBAC was hiring a doula. She was an incredible support to
>> both me and my husband, helped us work through our feelings
>> about DD1's birth and was an incredible support through
>> the last few weeks of my pregnancy and our VBAC. So I strongly
>> recommend finding a doula, preferable one who has attended
>> VBACs.
>
> I'm thinking of this more and more now...
>
> DrRuth
> Mum to Joshua Eamon (Nov 15th, 2001), Venus the Fetus (EDD Nov 16th)
> <http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~drruth/joshua/>

Amy
July 25th 05, 06:26 PM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

> Oh, good. I think it's very common for husbands to
> be very weirded out by the notion of low intervention or out
> of hospital birth, but many really come around when they see
> how good the case for it is!

My husband has quietly thought I'm crazy for wanting a low intervention
birth ever since I got pregnant. I think he has secretly thought that
I would change my mind once labor started, and has kind of said, "Yes,
Dear," for the meantime. However, after our class on Saturday, where
they talked about all of the complications that can result from
interventions, and where they actually almost advocated low
intervention birth (as much as you would expect a hospital to advocate
a low intervention birth), he has come around. He told me that he
really admires me for planning a natural birth, because now he knows
that it's really and truly what's best for the baby and me (and not
just because my granola mom said so).

I think sometimes it takes someone in a position of authority (or at
least the costume of authority - in our case, scrubs and a hospital
badge) to bring them around. Before it was, "I don't want to see you
in pain," now it's, "You're so strong and brave, to be willing to go
through the pain to protect yourself and the baby from greater harm..."

That made the class well worth the price of admission! And how good am
I, that I haven't said, "I told you so!"? :)

Amy

CJRA
July 26th 05, 03:10 AM
Amy wrote:
> Ericka Kammerer wrote:
>
> > Oh, good. I think it's very common for husbands to
> > be very weirded out by the notion of low intervention or out
> > of hospital birth, but many really come around when they see
> > how good the case for it is!
>
> My husband has quietly thought I'm crazy for wanting a low intervention
> birth ever since I got pregnant. I think he has secretly thought that
> I would change my mind once labor started, and has kind of said, "Yes,
> Dear," for the meantime. However, after our class on Saturday, where
> they talked about all of the complications that can result from
> interventions, and where they actually almost advocated low
> intervention birth (as much as you would expect a hospital to advocate
> a low intervention birth), he has come around. He told me that he
> really admires me for planning a natural birth, because now he knows
> that it's really and truly what's best for the baby and me (and not
> just because my granola mom said so).

DH did the same, though it didn't take him very long to come around. At
first it was just so far from his imaginings, as every where around
him, the norm is hospital/intervention births. It just never occurred
to him that there was an alternative (see my rant about TV births).

But with some more info, and the clarity that I was not just convinced
this was the best route for me, but made that decision based on a great
deal of research, and listening to his heart, he came around. He
thanked me after our first midwife appt for making that choice.

Unfortunately I then miscarried. And we've yet to determine how things
will go next time. If we need an Ob/hospital birth for medical we'll
happily do that, we'll just have to wait and see.