PDA

View Full Version : Taylor's First Movie!

Jamie Clark
July 6th 05, 03:00 AM
I took Taylor (and Addie) to her first movie today -- Muppets From Space,
and she did great. The movie theater at our local mall (Edwards Cinema's)
is having a "Family Film Festival" where every Tuesday and Wednesday at
10:00am, from June 21st through August 17th they are showing 2 different
movies every week. Free. I just found out about it, so we missed a few
weeks, but now that I know, I'll be going every chance I can. We have a
class on Tuesday mornings, so that basically means only Wednesdays, except
this week. Our Tuesday class doesn't start until next week...so we're going
to go twice this week!

I figured since it was free, and the only people there would be mom's and
kids, if Taylor or Addie fussed or had a hard time, it wouldn't be the end
of the world. And if it was really terrible, and I had to walk out, I
wouldn't have wasted any money. Taylor was great. I prepped her ahead of
time, and explained that we don't talk or get out of our seat. I told her
that it would be like a great big TV, that we'd sit in big chairs, and that
the theater would get dark and the sound might be very loud (we watch TV at
home with the sound pretty low, and she can get scared if something is too
loud). She took it all in like a pro. There was some fidgeting, but not
much, and not much talking at all. And much of that was in her best
whisper, so it was okay. I was so proud, and told her so afterwards. I
praised her upside down and backwards, and asked her if she wanted to do it
again sometime, to which she responded, very positively! So, tomorrow we're
going to go see The Road To El Dorado with my dad and step-mom, then have
lunch at the mall.

Addie, on the other hand, wasn't as great, but since she's only 9 months
old, I can't really blame her. She did okay, and fussed a bit, but I took
her out of her car seat about halfway through and held her, and it seemed to
quiet her down.

One thing happened that I thought was sort of strange. We went as an
impromptu field trip with a bunch of mom and their kids in my mom's club.
There were 5 of us moms all together. One child, who is about 2, cried and
whined and fussed throughout much of the first half of the movie. I like
the mom, but I think she coddles the child. Another child who is very close
in age to Taylor simply kept repeating, "I want to go home." She wasn't
afraid, she just likes to run the show. Again, I think the mom gives in too
quickly. The 3 other kids were good and except for some talking and walking
about a bit, were quiet and seemed to be doing okay. About three-quarters
the way through the movie, one of the moms leaned over to me and said,
"We're going to go take the kids on the carousel" and they all got up and
left. I stayed, since A. Taylor was being really good and seemed to be
enjoying the movie, 2. I was enjoying the movie (great 70's soundtrack,
plus, it's THE MUPPETS), C. I don't encourage Taylor to switch movies once
we've started watching them at home, and I certainly don't want her to think
that she can just decide that she's "done" with a movie at a theater, in the
future, especially if I'm paying full price! Now maybe my thoughts would be
different if we (and everyone else in the theater) had paid, or if Taylor
was pitching a fit, but she wasn't. I understand why the first two moms
would want to leave, but I was sort of surprised at the other 3.

Anyway, that was our experience. I'm so excited about the possibility of
taking Taylor to other movies! I love going to the movies, and since having
kids, that past time has been severely curtailed. They may not be Oscar
contenders, but I really do want to see Robots, Madagascar, Cars, Chicken
Little, etc! Whooo hoooo!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Bryna
July 6th 05, 03:50 PM
LOL! When I saw the title, I thought, "wow, Taylor's in a *movie*
now?" :) Glad you guys had a good time. We haven't taken the kids to
a movie yet (heck, DH and I hardly get to the movies these days!)

Bryna

Emily
July 6th 05, 05:32 PM
Bryna wrote:
> LOL! When I saw the title, I thought, "wow, Taylor's in a *movie*
> now?" :) Glad you guys had a good time. We haven't taken the kids to
> a movie yet (heck, DH and I hardly get to the movies these days!)

With a kid as photogenic as Taylor, I'd say it won't be long!

Emily

emilymr
July 7th 05, 01:05 AM
> LOL! When I saw the title, I thought, "wow, Taylor's in a *movie*
> now?" :)

hehe I thought the same thing... ;)

DH and I went to OUR first post-partum movie 2 weeks ago -- Star Wars. :)
And I agree with you on it being weird that the other 3 moms left early.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Elle
July 8th 05, 01:14 AM
I go to a movie once a week with my baby, but the movies are for grown
ups, of course, special matinees for babies & parents. It's a lot of
fun. I saw War of the Worlds today. Very intense.

Anyway I also think it is really weird that the others left the movie,
like you said what kind of message does that send? If my kid couldn't
sit through a movie I likely wouldn't go, it would drive me nuts to
leave mid-way. sure maybe one or two might not be able to handle it,
but all of them?

Good for you on prepping your daughter, it's nice to have something new
the whole family can enjoy.

Elle
Stella 2/23/2005

Melania
July 8th 05, 03:51 PM
Jamie Clark wrote:
> I took Taylor (and Addie) to her first movie today -- Muppets From Space,
> and she did great. The movie theater at our local mall (Edwards Cinema's)
> is having a "Family Film Festival" where every Tuesday and Wednesday at
> 10:00am, from June 21st through August 17th they are showing 2 different
> movies every week. Free. I just found out about it, so we missed a few
> weeks, but now that I know, I'll be going every chance I can. We have a
> class on Tuesday mornings, so that basically means only Wednesdays, except
> this week. Our Tuesday class doesn't start until next week...so we're going
> to go twice this week!

This is great, Jamie! I've been debating the idea of taking Joffre to a
movie (he's about a week younger than Taylor, IIRC), since he sits
through them very well at home. He loves having a movie night, with
popcorn etc. Glad to know it went so well for Taylor!

Melania

Jamie Clark
July 9th 05, 07:31 AM
Taylor has always been able to focus really well and pay attention to
things. She loves TV and often can sit captivated. Of course, she also
just likes to have it on while she does other things. But, like Joffre, she
can sit through a movie if it's entertaining her, so I felt we had a good
shot. Go ahead and give him a try. Just prep him first, so he'll know what
to expect!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Chatty, whose favorite sayings are
"What's going on in here" and "I've gotta get out of here!
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- Little Miss Into Everything, whose reach has
extended into the whole coffee table...nothing is safe!

Guest
Password

oups.com...