PDA

View Full Version : baby ears pierced at hospital

randy
July 16th 03, 01:32 AM
My sister just had a baby girl and got her ears pierced at
the hospital?? I think it is cute to put little pink bows in
their hair and stuff like that. But isn't getting their ears
pierced right out of the womb a bit out there.

What do you all think??

randy

==Daye==
July 16th 03, 01:39 AM
On 15 Jul 2003 17:32:38 -0700, (randy)
wrote:

>What do you all think??

My DD is 2, and her ears are not pierced. I feel that it isn't
my decision to make for my daughter. When she is older, if she
decides to have her ears pierced, we will get them done --
provided she is old enough to care for and clean her ears.

Some parents get their girls ears pierced at a very young age
because the child will not remember the pain of getting their
ears pierced. I don't agree with that practice.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Nina
July 16th 03, 01:55 AM
"randy" > wrote in message
m...
> My sister just had a baby girl and got her ears pierced at
> the hospital?? I think it is cute to put little pink bows in
> their hair and stuff like that. But isn't getting their ears
> pierced right out of the womb a bit out there.
>
> What do you all think??
>
> randy
Good lord, I have never heard of such a thing. But hey, if u can circumsize
a boy right after birth...
Hmm, is this a troll post?

==Daye==
July 16th 03, 03:02 AM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:55:30 GMT, "Nina"
> wrote:

>Hmm, is this a troll post?

It could very well be. I am having a hard time lately deciding
if they are a troll or not.

Usually I think, "Well, even if they are a troll, someone on here
might be wondering the same thing. So I will answer."

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Larry McMahan
July 16th 03, 03:18 AM
randy > writes:
: My sister just had a baby girl and got her ears pierced at
: the hospital?? I think it is cute to put little pink bows in
: their hair and stuff like that. But isn't getting their ears
: pierced right out of the womb a bit out there.

: What do you all think??

: randy

I have stated this before, but I think this is a decision the
*CHILD* and *NOT the parent should make. When they are old
enough, ask them if they want it done. Simple enough.

Larry

toypup
July 16th 03, 05:38 AM
"Nina" > wrote in message
.. .

> "randy" > wrote in message
> m...
> > My sister just had a baby girl and got her ears pierced at
> > the hospital?? I think it is cute to put little pink bows in
> > their hair and stuff like that. But isn't getting their ears
> > pierced right out of the womb a bit out there.
> >
> > What do you all think??
> >
> > randy
> Good lord, I have never heard of such a thing. But hey, if u can
circumsize
> a boy right after birth...
> Hmm, is this a troll post?

I didn't c*rc DS. I think that would hurt terribly. I wouldn't pierce my
child's ears, either. However, I really don't think you could compare the
pain of ear piercing to the pain of c*rc. I've had mine pierced and
repierced as an adult and I don't think it hurt much at all.

bobby
July 16th 03, 06:00 AM
>Re: when you have a baby
>2003/Jul/16
>Shannon wrote

>They dont shave you here(niagara falls,ontario), in fact it has been proven
>that is it better for a women to not be shaved as the hair stops or at least
>helps prevent infection, but in my opinion the less hair the better.

>Shannon
>due sept 12

bobby

inless your posing for playboy.

Esther
July 16th 03, 01:01 PM
historically, newborns have had much worse done to them

people used to think newborns couldn't feel any pain

Welches
July 16th 03, 07:16 PM
==Daye== > wrote in message
> On 15 Jul 2003 17:32:38 -0700, (randy)
> wrote:
>
> >What do you all think??
>
> My DD is 2, and her ears are not pierced. I feel that it isn't
> my decision to make for my daughter. When she is older, if she
> decides to have her ears pierced, we will get them done --
> provided she is old enough to care for and clean her ears.
>
> Some parents get their girls ears pierced at a very young age
> because the child will not remember the pain of getting their
> ears pierced. I don't agree with that practice.

DD wants her's done. I won't let her because I think she's too young. (2yrs
9 months) I suspect if I let her then she'd have one done then decide she
didn't want it done on the other side because of hurting. I don't know where
she's got the idea from as I don't have mine done, nor do any of her
friends.
Debbie

Nina
July 16th 03, 07:21 PM
"Welches" > wrote in message

> ==Daye== > wrote in message
> > On 15 Jul 2003 17:32:38 -0700, (randy)
> > wrote:
> >
> > >What do you all think??
> >
> > My DD is 2, and her ears are not pierced. I feel that it isn't
> > my decision to make for my daughter. When she is older, if she
> > decides to have her ears pierced, we will get them done --
> > provided she is old enough to care for and clean her ears.
> >
> > Some parents get their girls ears pierced at a very young age
> > because the child will not remember the pain of getting their
> > ears pierced. I don't agree with that practice.
> >
> DD wants her's done. I won't let her because I think she's too young.
(2yrs
> 9 months) I suspect if I let her then she'd have one done then decide she
> didn't want it done on the other side because of hurting. I don't know
where
> she's got the idea from as I don't have mine done, nor do any of her
> friends.
> Debbie

You can have them both pierced at the same time.

RuggyKurtz
July 16th 03, 07:57 PM
>I have stated this before, but I think this is a decision the
>*CHILD* and *NOT the parent should make. When they are old
>enough, ask them if they want it done. Simple enough.
>
>Larry

I agree with Larry on this one. We let our daughter decide for herself. She got
them pierced at 4 years of age, and takes really good care of them, with help
from me too.

Brandy

==Daye==
July 16th 03, 08:59 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:06:45 GMT, "Stephanie S"
> wrote:

>As I
>understand it (am open to re-education if necessary) it does not hurt at
>all.

Well, I have had my ears pierced for a total of 7 holes (some in
the same place because they grew over), and I can tell you that
it *does* hurt me. It hurts me every time it is done. It is
liveable pain, but it does hurt.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Stephanie S
July 16th 03, 09:41 PM
"==Daye==" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:06:45 GMT, "Stephanie S"
> > wrote:
>
> >As I
> >understand it (am open to re-education if necessary) it does not hurt at
> >all.
>
> Well, I have had my ears pierced for a total of 7 holes (some in
> the same place because they grew over), and I can tell you that
> it *does* hurt me. It hurts me every time it is done. It is
> liveable pain, but it does hurt.

It hurts when you do in the lobe part where there is no cartilege? I have
never heard that before. Thanks.

> --
> ==Daye==
> Momma to Jayan
> #2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
> E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Stephanie S
July 16th 03, 09:42 PM
"Welches" > wrote in message

> ==Daye== > wrote in message
> > On 15 Jul 2003 17:32:38 -0700, (randy)
> > wrote:
> >
> > >What do you all think??
> >
> > My DD is 2, and her ears are not pierced. I feel that it isn't
> > my decision to make for my daughter. When she is older, if she
> > decides to have her ears pierced, we will get them done --
> > provided she is old enough to care for and clean her ears.
> >
> > Some parents get their girls ears pierced at a very young age
> > because the child will not remember the pain of getting their
> > ears pierced. I don't agree with that practice.
> >
> DD wants her's done. I won't let her because I think she's too young.
(2yrs
> 9 months) I suspect if I let her then she'd have one done then decide she
> didn't want it done on the other side because of hurting. I don't know
where
> she's got the idea from as I don't have mine done, nor do any of her
> friends.
> Debbie

It's not like a tatoo. Even if the hole heals, you can always take the ear
ring out with none the wiser.

Welches
July 16th 03, 10:02 PM
Stephanie S > wrote in message
.. .

> "Welches" > wrote in message
> >
> > ==Daye== > wrote in message

> > > My DD is 2, and her ears are not pierced. I feel that it isn't
> > > my decision to make for my daughter. When she is older, if she
> > > decides to have her ears pierced, we will get them done --
> > > provided she is old enough to care for and clean her ears.
> > >
> > > Some parents get their girls ears pierced at a very young age
> > > because the child will not remember the pain of getting their
> > > ears pierced. I don't agree with that practice.
> > >
> > DD wants her's done. I won't let her because I think she's too young.
> (2yrs
> > 9 months) I suspect if I let her then she'd have one done then decide
she
> > didn't want it done on the other side because of hurting. I don't know
> where
> > she's got the idea from as I don't have mine done, nor do any of her
> > friends.
> > Debbie
> >

> It's not like a tatoo. Even if the hole heals, you can always take the ear
> ring out with none the wiser.

I know. It's something I intended to do as a child and never got round to,
so I wouldn't have any objection to her later. I just think that she's too
young to look after it herself, and I think she needs to be old enough to do
that. She also doesn't understand that it will hurt to have it done, I think
when she's a bit older I'll let her watch someone else having it done and
see if she still wants to.
If I was going to let her have it done then I think I'd have mine done at
the same time so that I'd have the reminder to look after her holes, but I
won't have it done while pregnant because of the (very minor I know) risk
of infection.
Debbie

==Daye==
July 16th 03, 10:29 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:16:24 +0100, "Welches"
> wrote:

>DD wants her's done. I won't let her because I think she's too young. (2yrs
>9 months)

I wouldn't let my DD get them done at that age because she
couldn't care for them herself.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Denise
July 16th 03, 11:48 PM
"==Daye==" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:41:16 GMT, "Stephanie S"
> > wrote:
>

> >It hurts when you do in the lobe part where there is no cartilege?
>
> I don't have my cartilege pierced, so yes, the lobe part. It
> feels like a bee sting or if you hit your tail bone. I also have
> been known to get light headed after it was over.
>
> --

I think its a huge YMMV thing. I have 8 holes now, I had more, but I let
the upper ones close up.. I don't recall having my first holes done because
I was a baby, but when I got my 2nd hole when I was 10, it didn't hurt me,
but my aunt who was 18, cried at the same time.

==Daye==
July 17th 03, 12:07 AM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:48:00 GMT, "Denise" >
wrote:

>I think its a huge YMMV thing.

Of course, it is. However, the OP said that she had not known
anyone that it hurt (or words to those effect). However, it did
hurt me. It hurt everytime I did it. Currently, I don't have
any holes at all. They have all grown over, and that is fine
with me.

I realize that it may not hurt for some people, but it did for
me.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Shannon
July 17th 03, 03:11 PM
Personally i disagree with piercing any child at any age till they are old
enough to make the decision for themselves. We may be there parents but what
right do we have putting holes in their body?!!!
Same goes for circumcision.. what right do we have that is their body...
what if they dont want it done well too late right, remember you can always
take it off you can never put it back on. Besides it isnt medically
nessesary to have it taken off. It may not be how you want to think of it
but uncircumsized men have more sexual pleasure then circumsized men as
well. Dont get me wrong i wont be with a man that isnt circumsized but we
arent going to be sexually involved with our sons, it isnt our decision to
make, it is the boys and the boys alone unles it becomes medically
nessesary which is unlikely if taken care of properly. Infections are more
likely in circumsized. Circumsizing a boy is cruel punishment. Did you know
they dont use any pain relief for babies to perform these unneeded
circumcisions?!!! For those who do this to your son/s how can you cause your
little one so much pain for something unneeded and only cosmetic?

Shannon
due sept 12

Esther
July 17th 03, 06:02 PM
Here's to education.

> It hurts when you do in the lobe part where there is no cartilege? I have
> never heard that before. Thanks.

A paper cut and a blood glucose finger stick... they both hurt and
neither of them involve cartilage.

The nerve endings aren't frequently limited to cartilage.

Esther

toypup
July 18th 03, 06:32 AM
"Shannon" > wrote in message
> likely in circumsized. Circumsizing a boy is cruel punishment. Did you
know
> they dont use any pain relief for babies to perform these unneeded
> circumcisions?!!!

I am not personally for c*rc, but they did use medication before and during
the procedure at our hospital to help block the pain.