PDA

View Full Version : Position

Amy
July 9th 05, 04:22 PM
I'm 34 weeks...

I'm feeling movement that is above where my lowest rib is, on the
outside of my rib cage. I'm very short-waisted, by the way, and only
5'4". Is the baby really on the outside of my ribs, or is it just
kicking something that's nudging something that makes it feel like it's
on the outside of my ribs? If the baby's foot really is there (and
therefore the uterus is so high that it, too, has decided to go outside
my ribs), why the hell can't I breathe? My lungs ought to have enough
room, if everything is growing up and out, rather than just up.

Anatomically, that can't be right, can it? If this kid gets much
bigger, s/he'll be able to kick me in the boob. That isn't going to
feel happy at all...

Tell me I'm imagining things. This is just sleep deprivation, right?

Amy

xkatx
July 9th 05, 06:55 PM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm 34 weeks...
>
> I'm feeling movement that is above where my lowest rib is, on the
> outside of my rib cage. I'm very short-waisted, by the way, and only
> 5'4". Is the baby really on the outside of my ribs, or is it just
> kicking something that's nudging something that makes it feel like it's
> on the outside of my ribs? If the baby's foot really is there (and
> therefore the uterus is so high that it, too, has decided to go outside
> my ribs), why the hell can't I breathe? My lungs ought to have enough
> room, if everything is growing up and out, rather than just up.

lol I'm not too far ahead of you, and I think I know what you're talking
about. I'm a bit taller than you, but I think I know what you mean about
the outside of your ribs thing. I get that sensation as well, and I could
be wrong with what I'm feeling compared to what you are, but I sometimes
feel that this baby is trying to kick and claw its way out right under my
ribs.

> Anatomically, that can't be right, can it? If this kid gets much
> bigger, s/he'll be able to kick me in the boob. That isn't going to
> feel happy at all...

I actually get kicked in the boob... Well, if I lay down, and the baby is
moving a lot, I can see my left boob being pushed up and all over the place
(slight movement, but it's there) and when this happens, I tend to find
myself breathless for a moment.

> Tell me I'm imagining things. This is just sleep deprivation, right?

Could be! You probably aren't sleeping all that much, are you? If you are,
I sure wish I was as well. I'm sure everything's fine and dandy with the
baby, but perhaps (s)he is just running out of space inside and looking for
a bit more room?

> Amy

Mum of Two
July 9th 05, 11:26 PM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm 34 weeks...
>
> I'm feeling movement that is above where my lowest rib is, on the
> outside of my rib cage. I'm very short-waisted, by the way, and only
> 5'4". Is the baby really on the outside of my ribs, or is it just
> kicking something that's nudging something that makes it feel like it's
> on the outside of my ribs? If the baby's foot really is there (and
> therefore the uterus is so high that it, too, has decided to go outside
> my ribs), why the hell can't I breathe? My lungs ought to have enough
> room, if everything is growing up and out, rather than just up.
>
> Anatomically, that can't be right, can it? If this kid gets much
> bigger, s/he'll be able to kick me in the boob. That isn't going to
> feel happy at all...
>
> Tell me I'm imagining things. This is just sleep deprivation, right?

Heh. I remember at one of DD's scans while still breech, to find her head
they just about had to lift up my breast. It freaked me out, but explained a
lot about my breathlessness (and the painful kicks to the cervix, she's a
tall kid!).
Don't worry, you won't suffocate ;-)

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Amy
July 10th 05, 12:24 AM
xkatx wrote:
> "Amy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I'm 34 weeks...
> >
> > I'm feeling movement that is above where my lowest rib is, on the
> > outside of my rib cage. I'm very short-waisted, by the way, and only
> > 5'4". Is the baby really on the outside of my ribs, or is it just
> > kicking something that's nudging something that makes it feel like it's
> > on the outside of my ribs? If the baby's foot really is there (and
> > therefore the uterus is so high that it, too, has decided to go outside
> > my ribs), why the hell can't I breathe? My lungs ought to have enough
> > room, if everything is growing up and out, rather than just up.
>
> lol I'm not too far ahead of you, and I think I know what you're talking
> about. I'm a bit taller than you, but I think I know what you mean about
> the outside of your ribs thing. I get that sensation as well, and I could
> be wrong with what I'm feeling compared to what you are, but I sometimes
> feel that this baby is trying to kick and claw its way out right under my
> ribs.

Exactly!! I'm so glad it's not just me, I thought I was losing my
mind.

> > Anatomically, that can't be right, can it? If this kid gets much
> > bigger, s/he'll be able to kick me in the boob. That isn't going to
> > feel happy at all...
>
> I actually get kicked in the boob... Well, if I lay down, and the baby is
> moving a lot, I can see my left boob being pushed up and all over the place
> (slight movement, but it's there) and when this happens, I tend to find
> myself breathless for a moment.

Ah, the things I have to look forward to. Hee...

> > Tell me I'm imagining things. This is just sleep deprivation, right?
>
> Could be! You probably aren't sleeping all that much, are you?

I'm getting up a lot to go to the bathroom, but I'm still sleeping
fairly well, actually.

> If you are, I sure wish I was as well.

I had a little insomnia in the first trimester, and the doctor ok'd me
to use Benedryl to get to sleep... You might ask yours if you could,
too.

> I'm sure everything's fine and dandy with the
> baby, but perhaps (s)he is just running out of space inside and looking for
> a bit more room?

Must be. Seems an odd place to find it, though. :)

Thanks!
Amy

Amy
July 10th 05, 12:26 AM
Mum of Two wrote:

> Heh. I remember at one of DD's scans while still breech, to find her head
> they just about had to lift up my breast.

WOAH!

> It freaked me out, but explained a
> lot about my breathlessness (and the painful kicks to the cervix, she's a
> tall kid!).

So, was she on the inside of your ribcage, where your lungs are, or on
the outside where your breasts are? I would think, logically, that the
INSIDE would make more sense, but what do I know?

> Don't worry, you won't suffocate ;-)

I hadn't even considered that possibility! Oh no!!

Amy :)

xkatx
July 10th 05, 12:33 AM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> xkatx wrote:
>> "Amy" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > I'm 34 weeks...
>> >
>> > I'm feeling movement that is above where my lowest rib is, on the
>> > outside of my rib cage. I'm very short-waisted, by the way, and only
>> > 5'4". Is the baby really on the outside of my ribs, or is it just
>> > kicking something that's nudging something that makes it feel like it's
>> > on the outside of my ribs? If the baby's foot really is there (and
>> > therefore the uterus is so high that it, too, has decided to go outside
>> > my ribs), why the hell can't I breathe? My lungs ought to have enough
>> > room, if everything is growing up and out, rather than just up.
>>
>> lol I'm not too far ahead of you, and I think I know what you're talking
>> about. I'm a bit taller than you, but I think I know what you mean about
>> the outside of your ribs thing. I get that sensation as well, and I
>> could
>> be wrong with what I'm feeling compared to what you are, but I sometimes
>> feel that this baby is trying to kick and claw its way out right under my
>> ribs.
>
> Exactly!! I'm so glad it's not just me, I thought I was losing my
> mind.

I don't recall having this strange stuff going on with either of my boys,
but that was quite a while ago now... I also do know I carried both the boys
the exact same way as eachother, and this one is completely different. I
don't think you're losing your mind - just yet, anyways!

>> > Anatomically, that can't be right, can it? If this kid gets much
>> > bigger, s/he'll be able to kick me in the boob. That isn't going to
>> > feel happy at all...
>>
>> I actually get kicked in the boob... Well, if I lay down, and the baby is
>> moving a lot, I can see my left boob being pushed up and all over the
>> place
>> (slight movement, but it's there) and when this happens, I tend to find
>> myself breathless for a moment.
>
> Ah, the things I have to look forward to. Hee...

Haha boob kicking is somewhat amusing, actually. I don't really find it so
painful, just amusing. lol

>> > Tell me I'm imagining things. This is just sleep deprivation, right?
>>
>> Could be! You probably aren't sleeping all that much, are you?
>
> I'm getting up a lot to go to the bathroom, but I'm still sleeping
> fairly well, actually.

Haha yea, I just find I try and hold it until the morning... I usually can't
wait past around 530-6am, though, and if I sleep in, like I did today since
I'm free of parenting responsibilites, I went back to sleep and woke up at
around 10 to use the washroom again. I toss and turn all night long :(

>> If you are, I sure wish I was as well.
>
> I had a little insomnia in the first trimester, and the doctor ok'd me
> to use Benedryl to get to sleep... You might ask yours if you could,
> too.

I think I might. I have trouble getting to sleep, and when I finally do
fall asleep, it's often a restless sleep with major tossing and turning.
Wake DH up often, I'm told, yet I don't actually wake up myself. I just
wake up real sore and stiff and have to hear about my tossing and turning
all day long.

>> I'm sure everything's fine and dandy with the
>> baby, but perhaps (s)he is just running out of space inside and looking
>> for
>> a bit more room?
>
> Must be. Seems an odd place to find it, though. :)

Well, I'm starting to think this thing won't ever come out. There's so much
more room for all out in the real world, but I guess if I was stuck in a big
stomach, I'd rather stay in as well. lol

> Thanks!
> Amy

Mum of Two
July 10th 05, 03:37 AM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Mum of Two wrote:
>
>> Heh. I remember at one of DD's scans while still breech, to find her head
>> they just about had to lift up my breast.
>
> WOAH!
>
>> It freaked me out, but explained a
>> lot about my breathlessness (and the painful kicks to the cervix, she's a
>> tall kid!).
>
> So, was she on the inside of your ribcage, where your lungs are, or on
> the outside where your breasts are? I would think, logically, that the
> INSIDE would make more sense, but what do I know?

She was inside! lol :-) That would be Guinness World Records worthy if she
managed to morph my womb outside my ribs, but I guess just about anything is
possible.
Logically, I can't understand how she got there, as there are all kinds of
other organs (albeit a little cramped) occupying that space. I'm tall and
large framed, so possibly my ribcage is larger than a lot of women's.
Perhaps I exaggerate a little, but I know they had the u/s wand over ribs
while I was seeing head on the screen.

>> Don't worry, you won't suffocate ;-)
>
> I hadn't even considered that possibility! Oh no!!

Oops, I thought that was what you were afraid of! It won't happen, trust me.