PDA

View Full Version : Idea opinions wanted!

Mary E. Hill
July 16th 03, 04:31 PM
Hello all! I hope your all doing well and babies arrive soon:)

I have an idea that I'm wondering if you'll give me feedback about.

I am a web designer and wonder if any of you would ever consider paying
$200 - $250 for a website for your baby/family that would allow you yourself
to update the pictures, descriptions, etc. You could have as many
pages/pictures as you'd like, all in different categories that are already
set up - like birthdays, milestones, Christmas - you name it.

Using just a web browser, like Internet Explorer, you could do this after
the initial set up takes place.

You would be able to choose your own domain name - like lisamarie.com (if
it's available) and you'd be able to have like 30 different e-mail
addresses - like .

Do any of you think this is a good idea to work on - or would I just be
wasting my time to create something like this for new babies & kids?

I have a site for my kids that I do myself, but I know web design. So many
families don't.

Anyway - any opinions out there?

Thanks!

Mary
Aubrey Lee 11/26/02
Logan Alexander 03/28/00

Plissken
July 16th 03, 04:45 PM
"Mary E. Hill" > wrote in message
> Hello all! I hope your all doing well and babies arrive soon:)
>
> I have an idea that I'm wondering if you'll give me feedback about.
>
> I am a web designer and wonder if any of you would ever consider paying
> $200 - $250 for a website for your baby/family that would allow you
yourself
> to update the pictures, descriptions, etc. You could have as many
> pages/pictures as you'd like, all in different categories that are already
> set up - like birthdays, milestones, Christmas - you name it.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a website. Then again I
get free webspace with my ISP and I've taught myself how to set up a webpage
with Netscape Composer and upload that to my ISP. Nothing fancy that's for
sure but it does the trick. I just want something very basic so friends and
relatives who are not close can see pictures of us. If I didn't have free
webspace I would probably just post pictures at yahoo or something. Domain
name does not matter to me. Then again I'm kind of cheap :-).

Nadene

Astromum
July 16th 03, 06:13 PM
Mary E. Hill wrote:

> Anyway - any opinions out there?

Personally I wouldn't pay that much money, not with all the available
photo-sites for free and e-mail addresses you get through the internet
providers. However, your idea might be welcomed in the more professional
world of child-care. I find myself often looking up information on the
web, but found that many (if not all) daycare providers have nothing
like a website with some basics. This may very well be related to their
limited budget, but I think your prices would be well within the range
they can afford. Perhaps you could investigate by asking some of your
local daycare providers if they'd be interested.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

==Daye==
July 16th 03, 10:27 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:31:03 -0400, "Mary E. Hill"
> wrote:

>Anyway - any opinions out there?

Personally, I wouldn't use your services, but I don't need to. I
have a domain. I learned HTML and style sheets. I do all the
design for the webpage.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Mary E. Hill
July 17th 03, 02:42 PM
"Linz" > wrote in message

> "Mary E. Hill" > wrote in message
> > Hello all! I hope your all doing well and babies arrive soon:)
> >
> > I have an idea that I'm wondering if you'll give me feedback about.
> >
> > I am a web designer and wonder if any of you would ever consider paying
> > $200 - $250 for a website for your baby/family that would allow you
> yourself
> > to update the pictures, descriptions, etc. You could have as many
> > pages/pictures as you'd like, all in different categories that are
already
> > set up - like birthdays, milestones, Christmas - you name it.
>
> I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't pay that for a family
website.
> I wouldn't pay it for a more public website, I certainly wouldn't pay it
for
> a friends and family website. Not when I can stick pics on a free website.
>
> Are you looking for that money for /designing/ a website, or for /hosting/
> website - which is the only way, I suspect, that you can say "You could
have
> as many pages/pictures as you'd like" - most ISPs have a limit on the
amount
> of webspace you get so there is a limit to how many pics/pages you get.

Actually that amount covers both the original design and the hosting/e-mail
accounts.

Thanks for all the answers everyone! It's been very useful:)

Mary E. Hill
July 18th 03, 03:03 PM
"Shannon" > wrote in message
> No i wouldnt, why pay so much when you can do it yourself for way less or
> free? And you can put what you want, where you want, give it the look you
> like, and not worry about the html crap if you are like me and dont know
how
> to use that. You can do it for free on geocities and angelfire(i think)
and
> there are other places that are cheap. So why would i pay someone i dont
> know to make one when it would be so impersonal and not how i want it?
>
> Shannon
> due sept 12

Nah - you missed the whole point. It would like good and it would be
incredibly personal - you would be the one adding content on your own
without pop bs like you get on crappy angelfire & such. It would be a
quality issue.