PDA

View Full Version : Heatburn relief.. help!

Shell
July 10th 05, 08:38 PM
I have constant heartburn, day and night now. Tums isn't touching it. I'm
waking up 2-3 times a night having to sit up immediately to try to relieve
it. Any suggestions?

~Shell
EDD Oct 25

oregonchick
July 10th 05, 10:55 PM
"Shell" > wrote in message
>I have constant heartburn, day and night now. Tums isn't touching it.
>I'm waking up 2-3 times a night having to sit up immediately to try to
>relieve it. Any suggestions?

I drank Maalox. Alot of it. Also, eating really small quantities of food
throughout the day seemed to help. And avoid anything that can make it
worse, like spicy/greasy food.

Betsy

medgirl
July 11th 05, 02:05 AM
"Shell" > wrote in message
>I have constant heartburn, day and night now. Tums isn't touching it.
>I'm waking up 2-3 times a night having to sit up immediately to try to
>relieve it. Any suggestions?

I took over-the-counter Zantac at first, then ultimately had to take a
proton pump inhibitor (Protonix) towards the end of pregnancy. You should
talk to your doctor.

Sarah
DD 3/1/05

Leslie
July 11th 05, 04:38 AM
Zantac. Or Walzan (same thing from Walgreens, but way cheaper). I
felt like I had fire in my throat and this stopped it immediately.

Leslie

Nikki
July 11th 05, 05:25 AM
Shell wrote:
> I have constant heartburn, day and night now. Tums isn't touching
> it. I'm waking up 2-3 times a night having to sit up immediately to
> try to relieve it. Any suggestions?
>
> ~Shell
> EDD Oct 25

Try eating smaller amounts
Don't eat before bed
Avoid caffeine and spicy foods
Put blocks under the front of your bed so it is tilted up. Pillows won't
work and may even make it worse, the entire mattress has to be on a tilt.

Others have talked about meds.

The *only* good news for me was that it completely went away within days of
birth.
--
Nikki

Shell
July 14th 05, 12:07 AM
"Leslie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Zantac. Or Walzan (same thing from Walgreens, but way cheaper). I
> felt like I had fire in my throat and this stopped it immediately.

I didn't think Zantac was safe. Thanks!

~Shell

Jo
July 17th 05, 04:01 AM
Shell wrote:
> I have constant heartburn, day and night now. Tums isn't touching it. I'm
> waking up 2-3 times a night having to sit up immediately to try to relieve
> it. Any suggestions?
>
> ~Shell
> EDD Oct 25

Zantac worked at first, then the only thing to touch it was Gaviscon
liquid. (I'm in Australia - not sure if you would have the same thing
wherever you are...). It has an alginate layer to form a barrier in the
oesophagus so that stomach contents can't come up. Have to take it at
least 10 min before laying down though, or it doesn't work. My reflux
seemed to be worse if I hadn't eaten in a while. I woke at 2am once
with a mouth full :(

Good luck!

Jo