PDA

View Full Version : check-ups

firsttime
July 11th 05, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone, I've been reading on this group for awhile, you all have
been such a great source to me....thank you! I just started 2nd
trimester and I was wondering what do your doctors usually do during
your apts? I had an apt a week ago and they do the urine same, weight,
and check the babies heartbeat. All is going well....just wanted to
know whats the usual check-up. I felt a little rushed at the last 2
apts.

Emily
July 11th 05, 08:49 PM
Unless there's something worrying you or the doc, it's
pretty much weight, urine (glucose, protein), blood pressure,
check the heartbeat, and then later measure fundal height to
track growth, then "any questions"? If you feel like you're
not having time to get your questions answered or your concerns
addressed, that's not good though. I find it's always helpful
to make a list ahead of time with the questions I want to ask,
so I make sure I get to all of them.

Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05

xkatx
July 11th 05, 09:54 PM
"firsttime" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi everyone, I've been reading on this group for awhile, you all have
> been such a great source to me....thank you! I just started 2nd
> trimester and I was wondering what do your doctors usually do during
> your apts? I had an apt a week ago and they do the urine same, weight,
> and check the babies heartbeat. All is going well....just wanted to
> know whats the usual check-up. I felt a little rushed at the last 2
> apts.

That's pretty much how my appointments went around that time. Only last
appointment did my OB do an internal to check to make sure things were
alright. That was June 28, and I was then scheduled for 1 week, then
changed to 2 weeks since my doctor was out of the office all that first week
of July, and at that time, I was only at the 36 week mark. This appointment
tomorrow, I'm 38 weeks and she said for sure she'll have me in once a week.
If I recall correctly, this was the time that internal exams would be done
to check the cervix and all that?
Anything earlier was just the basics, weight, BP, heartbeat, fundal height,
urine and I was asked if I felt baby move and if I had any other questions.

Amy
July 11th 05, 11:50 PM
firsttime wrote:
> Hi everyone, I've been reading on this group for awhile, you all have
> been such a great source to me....thank you! I just started 2nd
> trimester and I was wondering what do your doctors usually do during
> your apts? I had an apt a week ago and they do the urine same, weight,
> and check the babies heartbeat. All is going well....just wanted to
> know whats the usual check-up. I felt a little rushed at the last 2
> apts.

They should be more of the same unless something wonky happens. You'll
have the Glucose Tolerance Test (talk to Ericka about that one!)
sometime in the second trimester. And the 20 week ultrasound. That's
about it.

I started feeling like my OB should install a drive-thru toward the end
of my second trimester! :)

Amy

firsttime
July 18th 05, 04:02 PM
Thank you all for responding. Since this is my first I was wondering
what was he norm. On the 20 week ultrasound my Doc said it may be done
a week or two later, he wants to also check out everything since I have
a fibroid.