PDA

View Full Version : think I'm becoming a vegetarian

oregonchick
July 12th 05, 02:41 AM
I was a true meat eater before I got pregnant. Then the morning sickness
set in and I had a terrible aversion to all meat. Even now that the
sickness has passed, most meat is revolting to me. I am so picky now! I
tried buying burger but when I got it home, even thought it was super lean,
it had these white things in it, which I discovered to be some sort of
tubes...blech! I won't eat any ground meat or sausage, steak has to have no
marbling or fat at all, etc. Looking at, let alone handling raw meat is
totally out of the question.

How do I make sure I'm getting enough protein? I still eat dairy products
and eggs.

Ericka Kammerer
July 12th 05, 03:45 AM
oregonchick wrote:

> How do I make sure I'm getting enough protein? I still eat dairy products
> and eggs.

Legumes are your friends ;-) Plenty of protein and other
goodies.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Mum of Two
July 12th 05, 05:17 AM
"oregonchick" > wrote in message
>I was a true meat eater before I got pregnant. Then the morning sickness
>set in and I had a terrible aversion to all meat. Even now that the
>sickness has passed, most meat is revolting to me. I am so picky now! I
>tried buying burger but when I got it home, even thought it was super lean,
>it had these white things in it, which I discovered to be some sort of
>tubes...blech! I won't eat any ground meat or sausage, steak has to have
>no marbling or fat at all, etc. Looking at, let alone handling raw meat is
>totally out of the question.
>
> How do I make sure I'm getting enough protein? I still eat dairy products
> and eggs.

I second Ericka. Dairy and eggs are necessary for B12 unless you supplement,
but they're not necessary for protein. A balance of legumes - peas, beans,
lentils etc - and grains, such as wholegrain rice, wheat etc will give you
all the necessary amino acids for complete protein. They used to think they
needed to be consumed in one sitting - e.g. beans on toast - but modern
research suggests as long as you are consuming legumes and grains throughout
the day, you're fine.
DD & I are both vegetarian.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Bryna
July 12th 05, 05:20 AM
oregonchick wrote:
> I was a true meat eater before I got pregnant. Then the morning sickness
> set in and I had a terrible aversion to all meat. Even now that the
> sickness has passed, most meat is revolting to me. I am so picky now! I
> tried buying burger but when I got it home, even thought it was super lean,
> it had these white things in it, which I discovered to be some sort of
> tubes...blech! I won't eat any ground meat or sausage, steak has to have no
> marbling or fat at all, etc. Looking at, let alone handling raw meat is
> totally out of the question.
>
> How do I make sure I'm getting enough protein? I still eat dairy products
> and eggs.

I have a similar aversion -- no chicken at all, only limited types and
quantities of red meat. How are you with fish? Low-mercury types are
supposed to be really good for the fetus as well as providing lots of
protein. I'm not *craving* fish but I find I can handle it a lot
better than meat, so maybe consider that as an option if you can
tolerate it.

Bryna

Mum of Two
July 12th 05, 08:10 AM
"Bryna" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> oregonchick wrote:
>> I was a true meat eater before I got pregnant. Then the morning sickness
>> set in and I had a terrible aversion to all meat. Even now that the
>> sickness has passed, most meat is revolting to me. I am so picky now! I
>> tried buying burger but when I got it home, even thought it was super
>> lean,
>> it had these white things in it, which I discovered to be some sort of
>> tubes...blech! I won't eat any ground meat or sausage, steak has to have
>> no
>> marbling or fat at all, etc. Looking at, let alone handling raw meat is
>> totally out of the question.
>>
>> How do I make sure I'm getting enough protein? I still eat dairy
>> products
>> and eggs.
>
> I have a similar aversion -- no chicken at all, only limited types and
> quantities of red meat. How are you with fish? Low-mercury types are
> supposed to be really good for the fetus as well as providing lots of
> protein. I'm not *craving* fish but I find I can handle it a lot
> better than meat, so maybe consider that as an option if you can
> tolerate it.

To add to that, flaxseed/linseed oil is a perfectly acceptable mercury-free
source of omega-3 for vegetarians or anyone who can't stomach seafood :-)

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
barton . souto @ clear . net . nz
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/

Amy
July 12th 05, 12:32 PM
oregonchick wrote:
> I was a true meat eater before I got pregnant. Then the morning sickness
> set in and I had a terrible aversion to all meat. Even now that the
> sickness has passed, most meat is revolting to me. I am so picky now! I
> tried buying burger but when I got it home, even thought it was super lean,
> it had these white things in it, which I discovered to be some sort of
> tubes...blech! I won't eat any ground meat or sausage, steak has to have no
> marbling or fat at all, etc. Looking at, let alone handling raw meat is
> totally out of the question.
>
> How do I make sure I'm getting enough protein? I still eat dairy products
> and eggs.

I had the same exact problem, and I was just sure that I was stunting
the baby's growth. My doctor said not to worry about it, that my body
knew what it needed (apparently my body wants to build this baby out of
ice cream...), and that it would resolve itself on its own. It did,
around 22 weeks, I guess. Mid-second-trimester, anyway.

Don't sweat it.

Amy

V.
July 12th 05, 02:34 PM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> oregonchick wrote:
>> I was a true meat eater before I got pregnant. Then the morning sickness
>> set in and I had a terrible aversion to all meat. Even now that the
>> sickness has passed, most meat is revolting to me. I am so picky now! I
>> tried buying burger but when I got it home, even thought it was super
>> lean,
>> it had these white things in it, which I discovered to be some sort of
>> tubes...blech! I won't eat any ground meat or sausage, steak has to have
>> no
>> marbling or fat at all, etc. Looking at, let alone handling raw meat is
>> totally out of the question.
>>
>> How do I make sure I'm getting enough protein? I still eat dairy
>> products
>> and eggs.
>
> I had the same exact problem, and I was just sure that I was stunting
> the baby's growth. My doctor said not to worry about it, that my body
> knew what it needed (apparently my body wants to build this baby out of
> ice cream...), and that it would resolve itself on its own. It did,
> around 22 weeks, I guess. Mid-second-trimester, anyway.
>
> Don't sweat it.
>
> Amy

LOL, my baby is going to be Heavenly Hash flavored, how about yours? :)

I also worry about getting enough protein so I started keeping a food diary
of protein and calorie count for a week. Found I was doing better than I
thought on both (although still low), almost entirely thanks to peanut
butter sandwiches. Mmmmm... I did end up adding Carnation instant
breakfast once a day. I try to drink a glass of milk with dinner anyway, so
I just added CIB to it. Some extra calories and protein without that
horrible Ensure taste. Tip: Don't mix CIB according to directions. one
cup of milk isn't enough, at least two works much better and stir really
well.

Amy V.

Bryna
July 12th 05, 03:42 PM
Mum of Two wrote:

> To add to that, flaxseed/linseed oil is a perfectly acceptable mercury-free
> source of omega-3 for vegetarians or anyone who can't stomach seafood :-)
>
> --
> Amy
> Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
> & Ana born screaming 30/06/04
> barton . souto @ clear . net . nz
> http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/

That's good to know! I think I'll pick some up for when the fish isn't
looking too good. :)

Bryna

July 12th 05, 06:46 PM
How about Soya Bean and Tofu.

My Missus is vegetarian, our unborn child seems to be growing
satisfactorily.

We get soyabeans still in the pods (Japanese call it Edemame, they boil it
for a few minutes and serve the pod sprinkled with salt)

She has started eating tinned pilchards for the omega 3 fatty acids. I am
gonna get her some legumes also, thanks Ericka and flaxseed/linseed oil
thanks Amy.

"V." > wrote in message

> "Amy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >

> > oregonchick wrote:
> >> I was a true meat eater before I got pregnant. Then the morning
sickness
> >> set in and I had a terrible aversion to all meat. Even now that the
> >> sickness has passed, most meat is revolting to me. I am so picky now!
> >> tried buying burger but when I got it home, even thought it was super
> >> lean,
> >> it had these white things in it, which I discovered to be some sort of
> >> tubes...blech! I won't eat any ground meat or sausage, steak has to
have
> >> no
> >> marbling or fat at all, etc. Looking at, let alone handling raw meat
is
> >> totally out of the question.
> >>
> >> How do I make sure I'm getting enough protein? I still eat dairy
> >> products
> >> and eggs.
> >
> > I had the same exact problem, and I was just sure that I was stunting
> > the baby's growth. My doctor said not to worry about it, that my body
> > knew what it needed (apparently my body wants to build this baby out of
> > ice cream...), and that it would resolve itself on its own. It did,
> > around 22 weeks, I guess. Mid-second-trimester, anyway.
> >
> > Don't sweat it.
> >
> > Amy
> >

> LOL, my baby is going to be Heavenly Hash flavored, how about yours? :)
>
> I also worry about getting enough protein so I started keeping a food
diary
> of protein and calorie count for a week. Found I was doing better than I
> thought on both (although still low), almost entirely thanks to peanut
> butter sandwiches. Mmmmm... I did end up adding Carnation instant
> breakfast once a day. I try to drink a glass of milk with dinner anyway,
so
> I just added CIB to it. Some extra calories and protein without that
> horrible Ensure taste. Tip: Don't mix CIB according to directions. one
> cup of milk isn't enough, at least two works much better and stir really
> well.
>
> Amy V.

Mum of Two
July 13th 05, 03:29 AM
"Bryna" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Mum of Two wrote:
>
>> To add to that, flaxseed/linseed oil is a perfectly acceptable
>> mercury-free
>> source of omega-3 for vegetarians or anyone who can't stomach seafood :-)
>>
>> --
>> Amy
>> Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
>> & Ana born screaming 30/06/04
>> barton . souto @ clear . net . nz
>> http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
>> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
>
> That's good to know! I think I'll pick some up for when the fish isn't
> looking too good. :)

Apparently the omega-3 content is not quite as high, but it's a safe,
mercury-free source so no need to really restrict your intake. It shouldn't
be heated, and should be kept in the fridge. It's ideal for things like
salads, spreading on sandwiches etc. Don't buy it off the shelf, make sure
you get it from a health food store which refrigerates. IMO it has a
pleasant flavour when fresh, but you can tell if it's been sitting too long
or improperly stored because it has a bitter, rancid flavour. Much like
wheat germ, which should also be refrigerated - a lot of people don't like
wheat germ because they've never tasted it fresh! My daughter has had
flaxseed oil with her cereal from a young age (though don't go overboard
with a young baby, if you give too much it can have a laxative effect).