PDA

View Full Version : miscarriage rate by week of pregnancy info needed

July 16th 03, 09:03 PM
Hi all,
I am TTC my first, and want to get info on the miscarriage rate by week of
pregnancy. I'm visual, so would prefer a graph with miscarriage rate on the
vertical, time of preg on horizontal. For example, I know that very early
pregnancies have a high rate of miscarriage and then it declines. Part of
the reason I want this info is to decide, once I get pregnant, when to tell
family/friends. Anyone got a link?

Thanks,
Amy

July 16th 03, 09:29 PM
"V" > thought everything was going well until Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:03:09
GMT, when "V" > wrote the following to misc.kids.pregnancy :

>Hi all,
>I am TTC my first, and want to get info on the miscarriage rate by week of
>pregnancy. I'm visual, so would prefer a graph with miscarriage rate on the
>vertical, time of preg on horizontal. For example, I know that very early
>pregnancies have a high rate of miscarriage and then it declines. Part of
>the reason I want this info is to decide, once I get pregnant, when to tell
>family/friends. Anyone got a link?
>
>Thanks,
>Amy
>

| Women's Health | Health Topics A-Z

Pregnancy
Miscarriage

What is a miscarriage?
Why do miscarriages occur?
What are the signs of a miscarriage?
Where can I receive more information on miscarriage?

What is a miscarriage?

A miscarriage is the loss of a fetus before the 22nd week of pregnancy, or before the developing
baby is capable of surviving on its own without artificial support. Women are often most concerned
about the possibility of miscarriage during their first trimester - or the first three months -
because that is when the natural termination of pregnancy is most likely to occur. It is estimated
that only about 10% of women who know they are pregnant miscarry, but the actual miscarriage rate is
higher because often a fertilized egg dies before a woman is aware she is pregnant.

Why do miscarriages occur?

Many that occur before the 12th week of pregnancy result from chromosomal abnormalities, or
developmental defects in the fetus. Other causes may include illness, infection or undiagnosed
diabetes in the mother, defects in the uterus - even smoking, use of alcohol or drugs or poor
nutrition - can be factors. Surprisingly, falls, stress or other trauma rarely result in
miscarriage.

What are the signs of a miscarriage?

The main signs of miscarriage are cramping, vaginal bleeding, or both. Seek immediate medical
attention, if these or other signs such as fever, recurring headaches, or blurry vision occur. It
may be comforting to note that most women who do miscarry can later carry a pregnancy to term.

Where can I receive more information on miscarriage?

For more information on miscarriage, talk with your doctor.

To find a doctor, call 1-800-211-8181 or click here.

U-M Health System Related Sites:
U-M Smart Moms, Healthy Babies
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Department of Family Practice
Primary Care Network
Women's Health Program

Other Related Web Sites:
FDA - Information for Women Who are Pregnant
Ask NOAH About Pregnancy

U-M Medical School | M-CARE | Hospitals and Health Centers | University of Michigan

University of Michigan Health System
1500 E. Medical Center Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
734-936-4000
http://www.med.umich.edu/
(c) copyright 2003 Regents of the University of Michigan
Contact UMHS

Disclaimer The University of Michigan Health System web site does not provide specific medical
advice and does not endorse any medical or professional service obtained through information
provided on this site or any links to this site. Complete disclaimer

Privacy Statement

Site developed & maintained by: Department of Public Relations & Marketing Communications

This information is not a tool for self-diagnosis or a substitute for professional care.

UMHS HOME

Health Topics A-Z

For Patients & Families

For Health Providers

Search Tools & Index

Stephanie S
July 16th 03, 09:30 PM
"V" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi all,
> I am TTC my first, and want to get info on the miscarriage rate by week of
> pregnancy. I'm visual, so would prefer a graph with miscarriage rate on
the
> vertical, time of preg on horizontal. For example, I know that very early
> pregnancies have a high rate of miscarriage and then it declines. Part of
> the reason I want this info is to decide, once I get pregnant, when to
tell
> family/friends. Anyone got a link?
>
> Thanks,
> Amy

I do not have info to that level of detail. Personally, I would not want to
know since there is nothing I could do about it that I would not be doing
anyway. But many people wait until after 3 months, when the risk drops quite
a bit.

July 16th 03, 09:34 PM
Miscarriage - when does it occur?

It may be surprising to learn that in women who know they are pregnant, about one in four (or one in
6 depending on your information source) ends in miscarriage. Out of these, about 75% occur during
the first trimester (up to fourteen weeks), often occurring when the woman would have normally
expected a period if she wasn't pregnant.
3% of miscarriages take place during the second trimester (the next fourteen weeks) and once the
foetus has reached twenty-eight weeks, it is then called stillbirth as explained earlier.

"V" > thought everything was going well until Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:03:09
GMT, when "V" > wrote the following to misc.kids.pregnancy :

>Hi all,
>I am TTC my first, and want to get info on the miscarriage rate by week of
>pregnancy. I'm visual, so would prefer a graph with miscarriage rate on the
>vertical, time of preg on horizontal. For example, I know that very early
>pregnancies have a high rate of miscarriage and then it declines. Part of
>the reason I want this info is to decide, once I get pregnant, when to tell
>family/friends. Anyone got a link?
>
>Thanks,
>Amy

Astromum
July 16th 03, 10:20 PM
V wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am TTC my first, and want to get info on the miscarriage rate by week of
> pregnancy. I'm visual, so would prefer a graph with miscarriage rate on the
> vertical, time of preg on horizontal. For example, I know that very early
> pregnancies have a high rate of miscarriage and then it declines. Part of
> the reason I want this info is to decide, once I get pregnant, when to tell
> family/friends. Anyone got a link?

Are you sure you want to know with that much detail? Such a graph is merely
a representation of a chance, it doesn't guarantee that everything is OK
after a certain time. It may be very misleading and frustrating to know.

There are pro's and con's for both telling soon and waiting until second
trimester. E.g. if you tell early and you have an m/c, you may get a lot
of support from the people that knew about it. OTOH, if you tell early they
may start bugging you right away about things you are not even remotely
concerned with at that stage, and you can be needlessly worried.

When to tell is a very personal choice, and can depen on how things go in
the first trimester. I had an u/s at 8.5w, which confirmed a good heartbeat
and embryo right on track, so we told the family and friends then. However,
my mom knew right from day 1. Without the u/s we would have waited a little
while longer for sure.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Sidheag McCormack
July 17th 03, 06:31 PM
I looked quite hard for this information for the same reason, and I never
found it - so if you ever do get it, please share the URL here! General
information like "the risk drops around 12 weeks" is easy to come by, but
it sounds as though you want details, as I did. Sorry,

Sidheag
edd Oct 13th