PDA

View Full Version : Men have ticking of 'biological clock' too

July 16th 03, 09:43 PM
Men have ticking of 'biological clock' too
Researchers at Bristol and Brunel Universities have found that the older a man is, the longer it may
take his partner to conceive, irrespective of her age. The study shows that the odds on conceiving
in up to six months of trying decrease by 2% for every year that the man is over the age of 24 and
the chances of conception within 12 months decrease by 3% for every year. Additionally, women with
partners five or more years older than themselves, have less chance of conception in under a year
than those whose partners are of a similar age, or younger.
The study, published in the journal 'Human Reproduction', says that as men get older, their sperm
swim more slowly, reducing the chance of fertilising an egg

LOL well DP and I proved that wrong.. took us only one cycle..

Circe
July 17th 03, 11:52 PM
E wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Men have ticking of 'biological clock' too
>> Researchers at Bristol and Brunel Universities have found that the
>> older a man is, the longer it may take his partner to conceive,
>> irrespective of her age. The study shows that the odds on conceiving
>> in up to six months of trying decrease by 2% for every year that the
>> man is over the age of 24 and the chances of conception within 12
>> months decrease by 3% for every year. Additionally, women with
>> partners five or more years older than themselves, have less chance
>> of conception in under a year than those whose partners are of a
>> similar age, or younger. The study, published in the journal 'Human
>> Reproduction', says that as men get older, their sperm swim more
>> slowly, reducing the chance of fertilising an egg
>>
>> LOL well DP and I proved that wrong.. took us only one cycle..
>
> us too - he's 40, I'm 42 - took only one or two cycles - we weren't
> really "trying" but if anything happened, we were happy.

All we seem to have to do is give birth control a dirty look <g>. Our last
child was conceived in one cycle when I was 38 and my husband was 44. We
were prepared for it take a bit longer than in the past (#1 was conceived on
the second cycle; #2 is a minipill baby) given our ages, but apparently,
we're still young in the gamete department.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"How a seller can improve their home's value" -- newspaper headline

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

July 17th 03, 11:54 PM
"Circe" > wrote in message
> E wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >> Men have ticking of 'biological clock' too
> >> Researchers at Bristol and Brunel Universities have found that the
> >> older a man is, the longer it may take his partner to conceive,
> >> irrespective of her age. The study shows that the odds on conceiving
> >> in up to six months of trying decrease by 2% for every year that the
> >> man is over the age of 24 and the chances of conception within 12
> >> months decrease by 3% for every year. Additionally, women with
> >> partners five or more years older than themselves, have less chance
> >> of conception in under a year than those whose partners are of a
> >> similar age, or younger. The study, published in the journal 'Human
> >> Reproduction', says that as men get older, their sperm swim more
> >> slowly, reducing the chance of fertilising an egg
> >>
> >> LOL well DP and I proved that wrong.. took us only one cycle..
> >
> > us too - he's 40, I'm 42 - took only one or two cycles - we weren't
> > really "trying" but if anything happened, we were happy.
>
> All we seem to have to do is give birth control a dirty look <g>. Our last
> child was conceived in one cycle when I was 38 and my husband was 44. We
> were prepared for it take a bit longer than in the past (#1 was conceived
on
> the second cycle; #2 is a minipill baby) given our ages, but apparently,
> we're still young in the gamete department.
> --
> Be well, Barbara
> (Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)
> See us at http://photos.yahoo.com/guavaln
>
> This week's special at the English Language Butcher Shop:
> "How a seller can improve their home's value" -- newspaper headline
>
> What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

yup - it's been so long for me, given my age, I figured it would take a
while too. time to go in for an iud I think... by the time it shouldn't
work any more/be taken out, hopefully we won't have to worry about bc
anymore.
Edith
nak