PDA

View Full Version : How did your labor

BARBABA
July 16th 03, 11:15 PM
How did your labor differ when you were induced vs. not induced? My
doctor's talked about inducing soon if I don't go into labor on my own.
He said he may just need to break the water to get things started. Has
this worked for anyone?

Thanks.

BARBARA

Rob and Laura
July 16th 03, 11:29 PM
I had to be induced. My water broke on its own 3 days prior to having
Izabella. I had cervidle (sp?) inserted 2 times and than the day after that
had the piticon drip done for 2 days and finally on the 3rd day I had
Izabella. Thats what happened to me. I just hope that if he breaks your
water that it works for you.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella Gertrude **Feb 10th, 2003**

"BARBABA" > wrote in message
om...
> How did your labor differ when you were induced vs. not induced? My
> doctor's talked about inducing soon if I don't go into labor on my own.
> He said he may just need to break the water to get things started. Has
> this worked for anyone?
>
> Thanks.
>
> BARBARA

Jacqui
July 16th 03, 11:54 PM
Larry McMahan wibbled

> You don't say when your estimated due date is or how for over it
> you are (are will be). You should definately NOT let your doctor
> induce you BEFORE your edd. In general you should also not let
> your doctor induce your before two weeks after you EDD, opting
> instead for some kind of testing to assure him (and you the baby
> is still OK). Once you get to 2 weeks past EDD, then doctors
> become much more aggressive about inducing. If you are
> knowledgable, and use ultrasound or NSTs to assess placental
> viability and induce only if necessary.
>
> You would be better off going into labor on your own. Do not
> consent to early induction.

Every case is different. There are several very valid reasons why pre-
EDD induction has been discussed for me, and although I am now just
three days from EDD it's a firm possibility that I will be induced next
week, if I do not go into labour before then (which is quite likely).
This is the right decision for me, given a number of circumstances, and
for all you know might be the right one for the OP too, since we know
almost nothing about the circumstances she is facing. NOTHING is black
and white about this.

Jac

Larry McMahan
July 17th 03, 12:53 AM
BARBABA > writes:
[...]

Larry

Larry McMahan
July 17th 03, 02:46 AM
Jacqui > writes:
: Larry McMahan wibbled

:> You don't say when your estimated due date is or how for over it
:> you are (are will be). You should definately NOT let your doctor
:> induce you BEFORE your edd. In general you should also not let
:> your doctor induce your before two weeks after you EDD, opting
:> instead for some kind of testing to assure him (and you the baby
:> is still OK). Once you get to 2 weeks past EDD, then doctors
:> become much more aggressive about inducing. If you are
:> knowledgable, and use ultrasound or NSTs to assess placental
:> viability and induce only if necessary.
:>
:> You would be better off going into labor on your own. Do not
:> consent to early induction.

: Every case is different. There are several very valid reasons why pre-
: EDD induction has been discussed for me, and although I am now just
: three days from EDD it's a firm possibility that I will be induced next
: week, if I do not go into labour before then (which is quite likely).
: This is the right decision for me, given a number of circumstances, and
: for all you know might be the right one for the OP too, since we know
: almost nothing about the circumstances she is facing. NOTHING is black
: and white about this.

: Jac

OK. But the circumstances in which it is indicated is VERY limited,
such as pre-eclampsia. Even PIH not accompanied by protein spillage
is not an indication unless the PIH is quite bad. Induction is also
oftne recommended for suspected macrosomia associated with GDM, but
again, the evidence to induce in this circumstance is not very strong.
Again, this one can be relative.

Since the OP
a. indicated that she tended to go over dates often, and
b. did not indicate any condition that she thought warranted
induction,
and since the advice to induce is frequently over prescribed, I
thought it was good to give her the the alternate viewpoint.

Larry

Sandi
July 17th 03, 04:12 AM
I went into labor with my first on my own. I woke up at 4:30 in the morning
exactly one week before my due date having contractions that were 20 minutes
apart. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for that morning at around
10:30 anyway, so I went ahead and went to that. My doctor told me to go to
the hospital because I was dilated to a 4 and my "bag of waters was
bulging". So I got to the hospital at around 11:00am, they ended up
breaking my water at around 3:30pm because my contractions weren't regular
at all and my DD was born at 4:49pm. Total time in the hospital before baby
was born was less than 6 hours and I could move around all I wanted to.

My second labor I was induced a little early, probably mostly for my
doctor's convenience, but it really sounded good to me at the time, because
I was afraid of my waters breaking at home and not making it to the hospital
in time, due to how fast my 1st was born. Also, my doctor said my cervix
was very favorable for an induction and I was already dilated (again) to a
4, with no noticeable contractions. This time I had to get to the hospital
at, I think, 6:30am. They started the pitocin at around 7am, but the
contractions didn't really start for a couple of hours. They finally broke
my water at around 1:30pm and DD#2 was born at 2:42pm. Total time in the
hospital before baby was born was a little over 8 hours and I couldn't get
out of bed most of the time, because they had to have external monitors on
me to monitor the baby's heartrate to make sure the pitocin wasn't affecting
her.

The contractions themselves and the actual birth/pushing stage was no
different between the two. So while my actual labor time was shorter with
DD#2, I was actually at the hospital for more time and was WAY more
uncomfortable without the freedom to roam the halls. If we have another, I
won't agree to be induced again (barring any complications), just so I can
spend more of the labor and home where I'm comfortable.

--
Sandi
Abby (9/20/00)
"BARBABA" > wrote in message
om...
> How did your labor differ when you were induced vs. not induced? My
> doctor's talked about inducing soon if I don't go into labor on my own.
> He said he may just need to break the water to get things started. Has
> this worked for anyone?
>
> Thanks.
>
> BARBARA

Laurie
July 17th 03, 04:23 AM
BARBABA wrote in message
>How did your labor differ when you were induced vs. not induced? My
>doctor's talked about inducing soon if I don't go into labor on my own.
>He said he may just need to break the water to get things started. Has
>this worked for anyone?
>
>Thanks.
>
>BARBARA

1st Baby: Induced at 8 days overdue. 12 hour labor, pitocin, epidural,
ended up with internal monitor and the works. Good experience, but
definitely interventional.

2nd Baby: Spontaneous labor at 6 days overdue. 6 hours from first
contraction until baby out, 3 hours of actual regular, hard labor.
Completely natural, very very fast.

The second birth was no harder than the first, despite going without
epidural. I would definitely take the labor on your own route!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

Marie
July 17th 03, 05:11 AM
I was induced with my first daughter, went into labour on my own with my
next two. The first and second labours lasted the same length of time,
although the induced labour hit harder earlier. It was like nothing, just a
little tight feeling, then boomboomboom. Once the water is broke it's really
painful!
I would recommend not to be induced, it can lead to many more interventions
and a c-section wouldn't be a surprise.
Marie

BARBABA wrote in message
>How did your labor differ when you were induced vs. not induced? My
>doctor's talked about inducing soon if I don't go into labor on my own.
>He said he may just need to break the water to get things started. Has
>this worked for anyone?
>
>Thanks.
>
>BARBARA

lovey
July 17th 03, 12:50 PM
I want to second what Marie said~ both my friends' and my own recent labours
were going along just fine until our waters were broken... then things got
nasty for us both, and our babies! I'd go for the prostaglandin gel, but NO
breaking of the waters...
In my case, he was posterior, and breaking the sack caused him to clunk down
quickly into a really bad posi where he had to stay (as there wasn't any way
for him to move), causing a long and painful labour. It also tightened the
cord 'round his neck...<Gasp> causing great dips in his heart rate.
In my friend's case, when the waters were broken the babe (also not engaged
fully) clunked down, causing not only the short cord to tighten around the
neck and body of her baby, but also to pull the placenta away from the wall
of her uterus, causing a haemorrhage (sp?), and total loss of foetal heart
beat... which led to a very urgent caesarian.

No, I wouldn't have my water's broken again.

Best of luck,
Lovey D.
"Marie" > wrote in message
> I was induced with my first daughter, went into labour on my own with my
> next two. The first and second labours lasted the same length of time,
> although the induced labour hit harder earlier. It was like nothing, just
> little tight feeling, then boomboomboom. Once the water is broke it's
really
> painful!
> I would recommend not to be induced, it can lead to many more
interventions
> and a c-section wouldn't be a surprise.
> Marie
>
> BARBABA wrote in message
> >How did your labor differ when you were induced vs. not induced? My
> >doctor's talked about inducing soon if I don't go into labor on my own.
> >He said he may just need to break the water to get things started. Has
> >this worked for anyone?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >BARBARA

Shannon
July 17th 03, 03:35 PM
I have had my water broken 3 out of 4 times but when already in labor which
speeded up the process. When i was induced my water broke on its own. I
prefer the breaking on its own but i prefer not to be induced. Having an IV
while in labor and trying to push and even afterwards was a pain in the a$$.
Not being bale to have as much freedon with walking while in labor was a
drag. I wont do it again unless im way overdue.

Shannon
due sept 12

Naomi Pardue
July 19th 03, 02:50 PM
>Except...the standard protocol for "medical" induction is to break the
>amniotic sac then start the pitocin. While it's certainly possible to

I thought you started with prosteglandin gel unless the cervix was clearly very
ripe.

..

> As long as prophylactic antiobiotics are received by the mother,
>the risk of infection due to AROM after 24 or more hours is minimal, and no
>reason to resort to C-section assuming labor is progressing.

This is very true. However, my, perhaps incorrect feeling was this particular
doc was one who was quite interventist (he did, after all, simply tell the OP
that he wanted to induce without, as near as we could tell, giving her any good
reason...) and if he's not going to be willing to wait for normal labor to
begin BEFORE trying induction, is going to be willing to wait AFTER trying it?
Hmmm?

> most OBs prefer to break the sac because
>pitocin has been shown to be substantially more effective after this is
>done.

But if induction isn't necessary, this really doesn't matter, since you can
just stop the attempt and mom goes home again to wait for labor to begin on its
own.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)