PDA

View Full Version : Just a question about induction and a c-section/VBAC...

xkatx
July 16th 05, 05:02 AM
Arg... Just over a week to go until due date, and my last appointment, last
Tuesday, I had asked about the pain I had in my hips and crotch and down
half way to my knees on my thighs... When told this was normal, because I
had a previous c-section, I asked how on earth I could make it (the pain)
stop... She told me to have a baby and it would go away soon.

I then must have had a look on my face that told her to get this thing out
NOW if that's what would solve this pain, and after a moment of small talk,
she had said that she did NOT want to induce me because of that first
c-section 5 and a half years ago.

Why is that? Is there a reason they don't like to induce after a prior
section? It was an emergency c-section (footling breech because of my
'bicornate uterus') if that makes a difference...

I'm also wondering why, with my second, 4 and a half years ago, I was
scheduled to be induced a week after my due date... My second son was a
VBAC, and I wasn't induced because they had no beds on that day that I was
scheduled to go in for induction, yet I went into labour at around 1030pm
that same night they had no beds for induction.

Quite frankly, I don't really want to be induced since it seems like such a
hassle, unless, of course, there's a concern or medical need or something or
if I'm 2 weeks or so over due. It was just kind of confusing to me why I do
remember that same OB I had with my 2 boys wanted to induce the second, but
said she doesn't want to with #3 - because of the c-section that was a
while ago, and a lot closer to my c-section than now is...

Anyone have any ideas? I didn't really get the chance or opportunity to ask
her why at the time, and I don't really want to sound stupid asking why she
won't induce this time and the reason is because of that c-section.

rangitotogirl
July 16th 05, 08:46 AM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
> I then must have had a look on my face that told her to get this thing out
> NOW if that's what would solve this pain, and after a moment of small
> talk, she had said that she did NOT want to induce me because of that
> first c-section 5 and a half years ago.
>
> Why is that? Is there a reason they don't like to induce after a prior
> section? It was an emergency c-section (footling breech because of my
> 'bicornate uterus') if that makes a difference...

My understanding is that there is a greater risk of uterine rupture if you
are induced following a c-section as the contractions tend to be a lot
stronger.

Mary W.
July 16th 05, 02:07 PM
xkatx wrote:
> I'm also wondering why, with my second, 4 and a half years ago, I was
> scheduled to be induced a week after my due date... My second son was a
> VBAC, and I wasn't induced because they had no beds on that day that I was
> scheduled to go in for induction, yet I went into labour at around 1030pm
> that same night they had no beds for induction.
>
> Quite frankly, I don't really want to be induced since it seems like such a
> hassle, unless, of course, there's a concern or medical need or something or
> if I'm 2 weeks or so over due. It was just kind of confusing to me why I do
> remember that same OB I had with my 2 boys wanted to induce the second, but
> said she doesn't want to with #3 - because of the c-section that was a
> while ago, and a lot closer to my c-section than now is...
>
> Anyone have any ideas? I didn't really get the chance or opportunity to ask
> her why at the time, and I don't really want to sound stupid asking why she
> won't induce this time and the reason is because of that c-section.

There has been a dramatic swing in the VBAC culture in the united
states. Its a big mess, but the trend has been away from allowing
VBACs at all.

Literature has shown an increase in the uterine rupture risk for
women with a previous c-section, if they are induced (spontaneous
labor doesn't carry the same increased risk).

That said, with my VBAC, last July, I was considering a low
dose pitocin induction and my caregivers were willing to do
that. In the end, I went into labor 1 week past my due date.
I did have my membranes swept twice, but no induction or
augmentation.

A recent, prospective study holds up the finding of increased
risk of rupture with induction. With that study in mind, if
I were to give birth today, I'd be very hesitant to induce.

See these sites for more info and good luck!
http://www.ican-online.org/
http://www.vbac.com/

Mary W

July 16th 05, 02:21 PM
My question is why you got lied to about the pain in your pelvis.
Sounds to me like your pelvis is shifting - very common kind of pain in
pregnancies, particularly for people who've had more than one. Tends to
get worse with each subsequent pregnancy.

Nothing, nothing to do with your c-section at all. What you were told
was bald faced bogus.

Mary G
Three kids, 1 section, 2 VBACs

xkatx
July 16th 05, 06:06 PM
"rangitotogirl" > wrote in message

> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>> I then must have had a look on my face that told her to get this thing
>> out NOW if that's what would solve this pain, and after a moment of small
>> talk, she had said that she did NOT want to induce me because of that
>> first c-section 5 and a half years ago.
>>
>> Why is that? Is there a reason they don't like to induce after a prior
>> section? It was an emergency c-section (footling breech because of my
>> 'bicornate uterus') if that makes a difference...
>>

> My understanding is that there is a greater risk of uterine rupture if you
> are induced following a c-section as the contractions tend to be a lot
> stronger.

Makes sense, and seems to be what a lot of others say as well.

xkatx
July 16th 05, 06:07 PM
"Mary W." > wrote in message
link.net...

> xkatx wrote:
>> I'm also wondering why, with my second, 4 and a half years ago, I was
>> scheduled to be induced a week after my due date... My second son was a
>> VBAC, and I wasn't induced because they had no beds on that day that I
>> was scheduled to go in for induction, yet I went into labour at around
>> 1030pm that same night they had no beds for induction.
>>
>> Quite frankly, I don't really want to be induced since it seems like such
>> a hassle, unless, of course, there's a concern or medical need or
>> something or if I'm 2 weeks or so over due. It was just kind of
>> confusing to me why I do remember that same OB I had with my 2 boys
>> wanted to induce the second, but said she doesn't want to with #3 -
>> because of the c-section that was a while ago, and a lot closer to my
>> c-section than now is...
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas? I didn't really get the chance or opportunity to
>> ask her why at the time, and I don't really want to sound stupid asking
>> why she won't induce this time and the reason is because of that
>> c-section.
>

> There has been a dramatic swing in the VBAC culture in the united states.
> Its a big mess, but the trend has been away from allowing
> VBACs at all.
>
> Literature has shown an increase in the uterine rupture risk for
> women with a previous c-section, if they are induced (spontaneous
> labor doesn't carry the same increased risk).
>
> That said, with my VBAC, last July, I was considering a low
> dose pitocin induction and my caregivers were willing to do
> that. In the end, I went into labor 1 week past my due date.
> I did have my membranes swept twice, but no induction or
> augmentation.
>
> A recent, prospective study holds up the finding of increased
> risk of rupture with induction. With that study in mind, if
> I were to give birth today, I'd be very hesitant to induce.
>
> See these sites for more info and good luck!
> http://www.ican-online.org/
> http://www.vbac.com/
>
> Mary W

Thanks for the links. I don't have the time right now, but I will
definitely take a look when I get a spare moment this afternoon. Thanks!

xkatx
July 16th 05, 06:11 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> My question is why you got lied to about the pain in your pelvis.
> Sounds to me like your pelvis is shifting - very common kind of pain in
> pregnancies, particularly for people who've had more than one. Tends to
> get worse with each subsequent pregnancy.

Hm... I didn't know this. I was told that it was because of the scar tissue
on my uterus from the c-section. I definitely do not remember this pain -
or anything similar - with my second who was born a year after the
c-section. Heck, I had even been in school and working full time until he
was born. I had worked a good 6-8 hour shifts 4-5 days a week and didn't
stop working until 4 days before my due date! Maybe because I was a bit
more active with work I didn't notice or have this pain?
If it's supposed to get worse with each pregnancy, I think this will
definitely be the last one! I don't think I could handle this being worse,
since I can barely stand it right now. :(

> Nothing, nothing to do with your c-section at all. What you were told
> was bald faced bogus.

That is strange. When I asked my OB and she gave me that answer, I assumed
it would be the answer to take. Maybe I should call a random OB/Gyn office
and just see if they have any advice to really confirm my doc is out to
lunch?

> Mary G
> Three kids, 1 section, 2 VBACs

KC
July 16th 05, 06:13 PM
As far as keeping the pain away, a wheel chair does keep the pain away
really good. I use a wheel chair part time anyway for other issues I
have, but it works wonders for the SPD.

Good luck,

KC

July 16th 05, 08:23 PM
Do a google on Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) and see if it sounds
familar.

I didn't have it much in pregnancy #2, but bad in #3 - it got really
aggravated by slipping on wet grass and doing the splits a bit, and
man, ow, ow, ow.

Mary G.

Ericka Kammerer
July 16th 05, 08:45 PM
xkatx wrote:

> Arg... Just over a week to go until due date, and my last appointment, last
> Tuesday, I had asked about the pain I had in my hips and crotch and down
> half way to my knees on my thighs... When told this was normal, because I
> had a previous c-section, I asked how on earth I could make it (the pain)
> stop... She told me to have a baby and it would go away soon.
>
> I then must have had a look on my face that told her to get this thing out
> NOW if that's what would solve this pain, and after a moment of small talk,
> she had said that she did NOT want to induce me because of that first
> c-section 5 and a half years ago.
>
> Why is that? Is there a reason they don't like to induce after a prior
> section? It was an emergency c-section (footling breech because of my
> 'bicornate uterus') if that makes a difference...

No, that doesn't make any difference. A scarred uterus
is more likely to rupture under the stress of induction--significantly
more so.

> I'm also wondering why, with my second, 4 and a half years ago, I was
> scheduled to be induced a week after my due date... My second son was a
> VBAC, and I wasn't induced because they had no beds on that day that I was
> scheduled to go in for induction, yet I went into labour at around 1030pm
> that same night they had no beds for induction.

They didn't have as much information about the risks of
induction in VBAC at that time. There are still folks who will
induce with a VBAC, but it is significantly more risky.

Best wishes,
Ericka

xkatx
July 16th 05, 11:11 PM
"Elfanie" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 04:02:21 GMT, "xkatx" >
> wrote:
>
>>Arg... Just over a week to go until due date, and my last appointment,
>>last
>>Tuesday, I had asked about the pain I had in my hips and crotch and down
>>half way to my knees on my thighs... When told this was normal, because I
>>had a previous c-section,
>
> Buaha?
> has absolutely nothing to do with a previous cesarean...what is she
> talking about?

LOL I now have no idea what she's talking about... I'm now really confused
about it. You're not the first to say that it has nothing to do with a
previous section...

>> I asked how on earth I could make it (the pain)
>>stop... She told me to have a baby and it would go away soon.
>>

> True enough...
> too bad she didn't tell you about things such as sleeping positions,
> warm baths, massage, chiropractics...

Yes, I wish she could have suggested something a bit more than nothing. Is
there anything I can do that you'd suggest? I can't sleep on my back
because I feel like I can't breathe as well. I get the pain on my back
anyways. I do sleep on my side. I find I toss and turn on both sides.
I've tried sleeping with a pillow between my knees or sleeping with one leg
straight down and the other on DH's hip, leg, side, whatever, similar to the
pillow. I've tried sleeping on my side (with/without pillow) and my legs
straight down, as well as my legs straight to the side and hog up most of
the bed. I've even tried sleeping on my face with my knees under my
stomach, kind of sleeping with my bum in the air and my knees slightly
apart. I sleep better like that, but it's waking and moving that seems to
be the problem with every way I sleep.
Warm baths are nice, but only possible when DH is home to help me up from
the bath.
DH is pretty good with massages, and a massage on my pelvis area does help.

>>I then must have had a look on my face that told her to get this thing out
>>NOW if that's what would solve this pain, and after a moment of small
>>talk,
>>she had said that she did NOT want to induce me because of that first
>>c-section 5 and a half years ago.
>>
>>Why is that? Is there a reason they don't like to induce after a prior
>>section? It was an emergency c-section (footling breech because of my
>>'bicornate uterus') if that makes a difference...
>>

> the reason is because the risks of a VBAC such as uterine rupture,
> while small, increase dramatically with inductions. it remains rather
> small......but it's still a 20X increase...

So has been said a few times. Thanks.

>>I'm also wondering why, with my second, 4 and a half years ago, I was
>>scheduled to be induced a week after my due date... My second son was a
>>VBAC, and I wasn't induced because they had no beds on that day that I was
>>scheduled to go in for induction, yet I went into labour at around 1030pm
>>that same night they had no beds for induction.
>>

> because even though induction increases the risk...some care providers
> choose to overlook the risk. (inducing an unripe/unready cervix
> increases the risk also...but many doctors still keep doing that
> routinely..)

Well, it just seems odd to me that with the second she was ready to induce
but now with the third, she said she doesn't want to.

> Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) ICD
> Mesa, AZ
> Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - Kevin 8/30/02
> and Megan 5/16/05
> Student Midwife
> Birth Doula / Childbirth Educator / Pregnancy and Birth Photography
>
> http://www.birthdiaries.com - Birth Story Diaries=REAL BIRTHS = REAL
> PHOTOS

Circe
July 17th 05, 03:13 AM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
> Well, it just seems odd to me that with the second she was ready to induce
> but now with the third, she said she doesn't want to.

It's just because the evidence that induction increases the risk of rupture
wasn't as convincing a few years ago as it is now. And I believe the
research also shows that prostiglandins (which are supposedly a gentler
induction method than pitocin) increase the risk even more than pitocin
does. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that, I'm sure <g>!)

With the research being where it is today, I think a practitioner is
actually foolish to induce labor in a VBAC patient, because if anything goes
wrong, the patient has good foundation for a malpractice suit.
Unfortunately, that fact is leading a lot of practitioners to stop doing
VBACs altogether, which is a whole different problem. So you're lucky, I
think, to have a doctor who doesn't want to induce you based on the evidence
but is still willing to deliver you vaginally at all.
--
Be well, Barbara

July 26th 05, 02:04 AM
xkatx > writes:
: Arg... Just over a week to go until due date, and my last appointment, last
: Tuesday, I had asked about the pain I had in my hips and crotch and down
: half way to my knees on my thighs... When told this was normal, because I
: had a previous c-section, I asked how on earth I could make it (the pain)
: stop... She told me to have a baby and it would go away soon.

Well, I believe half of what she says. That the pain will go away when
you give birth. I don't think there is any connection between the pain
(probably SPD) and your previous births. Nevertheless you are better off
putting up with it and birthing naturally whenever it happens, if at all
possible.

: I then must have had a look on my face that told her to get this thing out
: NOW if that's what would solve this pain, and after a moment of small talk,
: she had said that she did NOT want to induce me because of that first
: c-section 5 and a half years ago.

Yes. She has a VERY good reason for not inducing. There is an increased
risk of uterine rupture with an induction after a cesarian. The risk is
much lower for VBACs where induction is not used.

: Why is that? Is there a reason they don't like to induce after a prior
: section? It was an emergency c-section (footling breech because of my
: 'bicornate uterus') if that makes a difference...

Well, it's all above. Your best bet is to birth naturally. If that is not
possible, the OB will probably suggest a repeat c-section.

: I'm also wondering why, with my second, 4 and a half years ago, I was
: scheduled to be induced a week after my due date... My second son was a
: VBAC, and I wasn't induced because they had no beds on that day that I was
: scheduled to go in for induction, yet I went into labour at around 1030pm
: that same night they had no beds for induction.

You were lucky that the induction did not happen. They know more now than
they did then.

: Quite frankly, I don't really want to be induced since it seems like such a
: hassle, unless, of course, there's a concern or medical need or something or
: if I'm 2 weeks or so over due. It was just kind of confusing to me why I do
: remember that same OB I had with my 2 boys wanted to induce the second, but
: said she doesn't want to with #3 - because of the c-section that was a
: while ago, and a lot closer to my c-section than now is...

: Anyone have any ideas? I didn't really get the chance or opportunity to ask
: her why at the time, and I don't really want to sound stupid asking why she
: won't induce this time and the reason is because of that c-section.

Hope this explains it.

Larry