PDA

View Full Version : Can I still be pregnant?

July 17th 05, 01:15 PM
I went to the doctor's because I was having really bad abdominal pains they
gave me a urine test and said I wasn't pregnant but my period isn`t for 10
days and my breasts are hurting and my nipples have darkened. Can I still be
pregnant?

Ericka Kammerer
July 17th 05, 01:20 PM
wrote:

> I went to the doctor's because I was having really bad abdominal pains they
> gave me a urine test and said I wasn't pregnant but my period isn`t for 10
> days and my breasts are hurting and my nipples have darkened. Can I still be
> pregnant?

Yes. It may be too early for a urine test to detect
pregnancy, especially if it's one that isn't as sensitive as
some others. On the other hand, it's a bit early for pregnancy
symptoms to be hitting either, though not unheard of.

Best wishes,
Ericka

oregonchick
July 17th 05, 03:30 PM
" > wrote in message
.. .
>I went to the doctor's because I was having really bad abdominal pains they
>gave me a urine test and said I wasn't pregnant but my period isn`t for 10
>days and my breasts are hurting and my nipples have darkened. Can I still
>be pregnant?

10 days before your period is due is pretty early to start having symptoms.
Implantation probably wouldn't have even occured yet. Abdominal pain and
sore breasts are not neccessarily indicative of pregnancy. I used to get
that with every period. Have you been having unprotected intercourse? Were
you trying to get pregnant?

July 26th 05, 02:08 AM
> writes:
: I went to the doctor's because I was having really bad abdominal pains they
: gave me a urine test and said I wasn't pregnant but my period isn`t for 10
: days and my breasts are hurting and my nipples have darkened. Can I still be
: pregnant?

If it is 10 days until your period, then you are only 4 DPO. At that
timing, no one can tell you whether you are pregnant or not. Also, why
do you ask are you STILL pregnant. Did you think you were at some time
in the past. Given the timing inconsistencies, you question does not
make any sense. At the least wait until you period is due and take a
home test.

Larry

Jamie Clark
July 26th 05, 03:55 AM
> wrote in message ...
> > writes:
> : I went to the doctor's because I was having really bad abdominal pains
> they
> : gave me a urine test and said I wasn't pregnant but my period isn`t for
> 10
> : days and my breasts are hurting and my nipples have darkened. Can I
> still be
> : pregnant?
>
> If it is 10 days until your period, then you are only 4 DPO. At that
> timing, no one can tell you whether you are pregnant or not. Also, why
> do you ask are you STILL pregnant. Did you think you were at some time
> in the past. Given the timing inconsistencies, you question does not
> make any sense. At the least wait until you period is due and take a
> home test.
>
> Larry

No, I think she meant, regardless of the fact that she had her period,
despite the evidence to the contrary, could she still be pregnant. Not, is
she still pregnant.--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Chatty, whose favorite sayings are
"What's going on in here" and "I've gotta get out of here!
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- Little Miss Into Everything, whose reach has
extended into the whole coffee table...nothing is safe!

Guest
Password

July 26th 05, 07:28 PM
Jamie Clark > writes:
: > wrote in message ...
:> > writes:
:> : I went to the doctor's because I was having really bad abdominal pains
:> they
:> : gave me a urine test and said I wasn't pregnant but my period isn`t for
:> 10
:> : days and my breasts are hurting and my nipples have darkened. Can I
:> still be
:> : pregnant?
:>
:> If it is 10 days until your period, then you are only 4 DPO. At that
:> timing, no one can tell you whether you are pregnant or not. Also, why
:> do you ask are you STILL pregnant. Did you think you were at some time
:> in the past. Given the timing inconsistencies, you question does not
:> make any sense. At the least wait until you period is due and take a
:> home test.
:>
:> Larry

: No, I think she meant, regardless of the fact that she had her period,
: despite the evidence to the contrary, could she still be pregnant. Not, is
: she still pregnant.--

I hear what you say, Jamie, but when I read her post I cannot in my wildest
imagination read it to say whay your interpretation implies. I guess we
will never know unless she follows up!

Larry

Jamie Clark
July 26th 05, 09:14 PM
> wrote in message ...
> Jamie Clark > writes:
> : > wrote in message
> :> > writes:
> :> : I went to the doctor's because I was having really bad abdominal
> pains
> :> they
> :> : gave me a urine test and said I wasn't pregnant but my period isn`t
> for
> :> 10
> :> : days and my breasts are hurting and my nipples have darkened. Can I
> :> still be
> :> : pregnant?
> :>
> :> If it is 10 days until your period, then you are only 4 DPO. At that
> :> timing, no one can tell you whether you are pregnant or not. Also, why
> :> do you ask are you STILL pregnant. Did you think you were at some time
> :> in the past. Given the timing inconsistencies, you question does not
> :> make any sense. At the least wait until you period is due and take a
> :> home test.
> :>
> :> Larry
>

> : No, I think she meant, regardless of the fact that she had her period,
> : despite the evidence to the contrary, could she still be pregnant. Not,
> is
> : she still pregnant.--
>
> I hear what you say, Jamie, but when I read her post I cannot in my
> wildest
> imagination read it to say whay your interpretation implies. I guess we
> will never know unless she follows up!
>
> Larry

Uh, let's see. To paraphrase -- "I had abdominal pains. My breasts hurt.
My nipples are dark. My period isn't due for 10 days. I had a negative
pregnancy test. Could I still be pregnant (even though the test was
negative)?

I can't, in my wildest imaginations, read it to say what your interpretation
implied. Really. I think it's a stretch. So we're even.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Chatty, whose favorite sayings are
"What's going on in here" and "I've gotta get out of here!
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- Little Miss Into Everything, whose reach has
extended into the whole coffee table...nothing is safe!

Guest
Password

July 26th 05, 11:53 PM
Hmmm. Reading your latest post, I think this is a question of semantics.
:-)

Jamie Clark > writes:
: > wrote in message ...
:> Jamie Clark > writes:
:> : > wrote in message
:> ...
:> :> > writes:
:> :> : I went to the doctor's because I was having really bad abdominal
:> pains
:> :> they
:> :> : gave me a urine test and said I wasn't pregnant but my period isn`t
:> for
:> :> 10
:> :> : days and my breasts are hurting and my nipples have darkened. Can I
:> :> still be
:> :> : pregnant?
:> :>
[...]

Ah. I see what you are saying now. It is the "still" that gets me!
She's 4 DPO, and she want's to know if she is *still* pregnant. I don't
use the language that way. I would only use still to indicate the
continuation of a confirmed pregnancy. I would use something like "yet"
or "this time" or now." That explains the confusion.

: I can't, in my wildest imaginations, read it to say what your interpretation
: implied. Really. I think it's a stretch. So we're even.

OK. I don't get this. Are you subtly making fun of my lack of
understanding (fair), or do you really think I am implying something
diffrent that what you just said (perplexing).

:-)
Larry

Jamie Clark
July 27th 05, 01:59 AM
> [...]
> : My nipples are dark. My period isn't due for 10 days. I had a negative
> : pregnancy test. Could I still be pregnant (even though the test was
> : negative)?
>
> Ah. I see what you are saying now. It is the "still" that gets me!
> She's 4 DPO, and she want's to know if she is *still* pregnant. I don't
> use the language that way. I would only use still to indicate the
> continuation of a confirmed pregnancy. I would use something like "yet"
> or "this time" or now." That explains the confusion.
>
> : I can't, in my wildest imaginations, read it to say what your
> interpretation
> : implied. Really. I think it's a stretch. So we're even.
>
> OK. I don't get this. Are you subtly making fun of my lack of
> understanding (fair), or do you really think I am implying something
> diffrent that what you just said (perplexing).

Mostly making fun of you... ; ) But seriously, I can see what you are
saying, and although I don't use language that way either, it didn't occur
to me to read it "your way" until you didn't get it "my way." Then I had to
but I guess I'm more familiar with the use of "still" in a question in the
form ''could it still be wrong?" Plus, how many posts have we gotten here
from someone trying to get pregnant, who has some phantom pain or spotting
or just had sex yesterday, or their girlfriend skipped the pill and they got
their period yesterday, "but could they still be pregnant." I mean, it's
just the most commonly asked question around here!~ It just seemed obvious
to me, and you couldn't see it, "in your wildest imagination". I could see
once you posted that you thought "still" was modifying "pregnancy," but that
wasn't the obvious choice to me when I read the post.

This reminds me of that great punctuation thingy... "Woman without her man
is nothing"

is it...

Woman, without her man, is nothing.

or

Woman: Without her, man is nothing.

: )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Chatty, whose favorite sayings are
"What's going on in here" and "I've gotta get out of here!
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- Little Miss Into Everything, whose reach has
extended into the whole coffee table...nothing is safe!

Guest
Password

Jamie Clark
July 27th 05, 02:02 AM
> wrote in message ...
> Hmmm. Reading your latest post, I think this is a question of semantics.
> :-)
>
> Jamie Clark > writes:
> : > wrote in message
> :> Jamie Clark > writes:
> :> : > wrote in message
> :> ...
> :> :> > writes:
> :> :> : I went to the doctor's because I was having really bad abdominal
> :> pains
> :> :> they
> :> :> : gave me a urine test and said I wasn't pregnant but my period
> isn`t
> :> for
> :> :> 10
> :> :> : days and my breasts are hurting and my nipples have darkened. Can
> :> :> still be
> :> :> : pregnant?
> :> :>
> :> :> If it is 10 days until your period, then you are only 4 DPO. At
> that
> :> :> timing, no one can tell you whether you are pregnant or not. Also,
> why
> :> :> do you ask are you STILL pregnant. Did you think you were at some
> time
> :> :> in the past. Given the timing inconsistencies, you question does
> not
> :> :> make any sense. At the least wait until you period is due and take
> :> :> home test.
> :> :>
> :> :> Larry
> :>
> :>
> :> : No, I think she meant, regardless of the fact that she had her
> period,
> :> : despite the evidence to the contrary, could she still be pregnant.
> Not,
> :> is
> :> : she still pregnant.--
> :>
> :> I hear what you say, Jamie, but when I read her post I cannot in my
> :> wildest
> :> imagination read it to say whay your interpretation implies. I guess
> we
> :> will never know unless she follows up!
> :>
> :> Larry
>
> : Uh, let's see. To paraphrase -- "I had abdominal pains. My breasts
> hurt.
> : My nipples are dark. My period isn't due for 10 days. I had a negative
> : pregnancy test. Could I still be pregnant (even though the test was
> : negative)?
>
> Ah. I see what you are saying now. It is the "still" that gets me!
> She's 4 DPO, and she want's to know if she is *still* pregnant. I don't
> use the language that way. I would only use still to indicate the
> continuation of a confirmed pregnancy. I would use something like "yet"
> or "this time" or now." That explains the confusion.

And it also depends on how you preface the sentance. The way you've written
it, "She's 4 DPO, and she want's to know if she is *still* pregnant" makes
sense to why you read it that way. The way that I read the OP was "I have
symptoms, the test was negative, but could I still be pregnant" which frames
the question in a different light, and I think gives us the clue as to how
she meant "still." Still in this case is used more like "anyway."

Anyway, I think this horse is officially dead!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Chatty, whose favorite sayings are
"What's going on in here" and "I've gotta get out of here!
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- Little Miss Into Everything, whose reach has
extended into the whole coffee table...nothing is safe!

Guest
Password

July 27th 05, 05:30 PM
Jamie Clark > writes:

: This reminds me of that great punctuation thingy... "Woman without her man
: is nothing"

: is it...

: Woman, without her man, is nothing.

: or

: Woman: Without her, man is nothing.

: : )

Well, obviously both! That's why no punctuation!

:-)
Larry