PDA

View Full Version : Worried and discouraged

L.A.
July 17th 05, 01:42 PM
Hi all...

Well, here I am, 41 weeks today and no baby. I'm not uncomfortable or
irritable (well, any more so than usual!), and am willing to just wait
for baby to be ready. But I have the spectre of a c-section hanging
over me that has me very upset and worried. My first was a section, my
second a VBAC after spontaneous labour started on my due date. Now my
doc tells me if I go ten days over, they'll want to do a section this
time. They won't induce because of the increased risk associated with
VBAC, so if baby doesn't come, they may try to break my water and see
what happens. If that doesn't work, they'll go directly to section.
I'm so discouraged because my VBAC was a great experience, as opposed
to my emergency section which was horrid. To make matters worse, I've
been having contractions getting down to about five minutes apart and a
minute long (although not terribly hard) for days. It starts every
night, goes for a few hours and stops. At my appointment last week,
the doc said my cervix was thin, but not dilated at all, and there's no
presenting part in the pelvis. Ultrasound showed baby floating high,
although head down. Non-stress test showed happy, active baby. I have
to see the OB tomorrow who will want to admit me Tuesday for breaking
of waters. I'm afraid baby's not ready and it won't work and I'll end
up with the dreaded section. I have to brace myself to try and talk
him into waiting a few more days if the baby seems okay. But my heart
is down in my toes right now and I don't feel very strong at all.
Thanks for listening.

L.A.

April & BabyStrongBow
July 17th 05, 02:11 PM
HI L.A

Im not really sure what to say but I do know how you feel about the C
section, my 1st was also a C section and it was also a horrible experience I
don't ever want to relive and I have been told that if my placenta does not
go where it should be by the next scan then I will be booked in for a
planned C section this time. Lots of people have told me not to worry
regarding this as it usually does go where it should but I can not help
being a little worried about it all. So I do sympathise where you are coming
from. When your contractions come do you walk about a bit as this is known
to help with contractions or maybe have a good hot vindaloo?

I hope someone else can help you more

April and BabyBump

I have been quit for 1 Month, 6 Days, 9 hours, 40 minutes and 13 seconds (36
days). I have saved £174.73 by not smoking 728 cigarettes. I have saved 2
Days, 12 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 11/06/2005 04:30
"L.A." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all...
>
> Well, here I am, 41 weeks today and no baby. I'm not uncomfortable or
> irritable (well, any more so than usual!), and am willing to just wait
> for baby to be ready. But I have the spectre of a c-section hanging
> over me that has me very upset and worried. My first was a section, my
> second a VBAC after spontaneous labour started on my due date. Now my
> doc tells me if I go ten days over, they'll want to do a section this
> time. They won't induce because of the increased risk associated with
> VBAC, so if baby doesn't come, they may try to break my water and see
> what happens. If that doesn't work, they'll go directly to section.
> I'm so discouraged because my VBAC was a great experience, as opposed
> to my emergency section which was horrid. To make matters worse, I've
> been having contractions getting down to about five minutes apart and a
> minute long (although not terribly hard) for days. It starts every
> night, goes for a few hours and stops. At my appointment last week,
> the doc said my cervix was thin, but not dilated at all, and there's no
> presenting part in the pelvis. Ultrasound showed baby floating high,
> although head down. Non-stress test showed happy, active baby. I have
> to see the OB tomorrow who will want to admit me Tuesday for breaking
> of waters. I'm afraid baby's not ready and it won't work and I'll end
> up with the dreaded section. I have to brace myself to try and talk
> him into waiting a few more days if the baby seems okay. But my heart
> is down in my toes right now and I don't feel very strong at all.
> Thanks for listening.
>
> L.A.

Sidheag McCormack
July 17th 05, 02:26 PM
They want to do a C/S, you don't want one, there does not appear to be a
medical indication for one. Just Say No. You don't have to "talk him into
waiting a few more days" - simply refuse your consent for breaking the
waters. (And if I were you, I'd refuse consent to a vaginal examination
too, just in case your waters "accidentally" got broken, but I'm a cynic.)
I think your instincts are spot on. Babies come when they're ready. Be
strong!

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003 (which was 42 weeks exactly, incidentally, though I
didn't have the VBAC angle thank goodness)

Mary W.
July 17th 05, 02:44 PM
L.A. wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> Well, here I am, 41 weeks today and no baby. I'm not uncomfortable or
> irritable (well, any more so than usual!), and am willing to just wait
> for baby to be ready. But I have the spectre of a c-section hanging
> over me that has me very upset and worried. My first was a section, my
> second a VBAC after spontaneous labour started on my due date. Now my
> doc tells me if I go ten days over, they'll want to do a section this
> time. They won't induce because of the increased risk associated with
> VBAC, so if baby doesn't come, they may try to break my water and see
> what happens. If that doesn't work, they'll go directly to section.
> I'm so discouraged because my VBAC was a great experience, as opposed
> to my emergency section which was horrid. To make matters worse, I've
> been having contractions getting down to about five minutes apart and a
> minute long (although not terribly hard) for days. It starts every
> night, goes for a few hours and stops. At my appointment last week,
> the doc said my cervix was thin, but not dilated at all, and there's no
> presenting part in the pelvis. Ultrasound showed baby floating high,
> although head down. Non-stress test showed happy, active baby. I have
> to see the OB tomorrow who will want to admit me Tuesday for breaking
> of waters. I'm afraid baby's not ready and it won't work and I'll end
> up with the dreaded section. I have to brace myself to try and talk
> him into waiting a few more days if the baby seems okay. But my heart
> is down in my toes right now and I don't feel very strong at all.
> Thanks for listening.

Oh, I feel for you! I went a week over with my VBAC too, and it was
getting really nervewracking. My midwives were content to let me
go to 42 weeks (which is really reasonable, and I'd push for that).
We did start the non stress test and biophysical profiles at
40w6d to make sure everything was OK.

Have you asked about membrane stripping? I know most peoplle say
it doesn't help, but I had mine stripped at 40w4 and again at
40w6d. The first stripping was tough since I was barely dilated
but it did result in some irregular but frequent contractions
for the next 2 days that got me to 4 cm. After the second
stripping, I was in full blown labor 6 hours later.

I think its definately reasonable to go to 42 weeks. I also
think, with the latest VBAC study, that if I were at 42 weeks
I'd go straight to a c-section.

My doula called those contractions that you are having effacement
contractions. I'm sure they are doing something! And later
babies often drop late, even in labor, so don't get discouraged
by that! Best of luck, Labor vibes to you. come on baby!!

Mary W.

Mary W.
July 17th 05, 11:02 PM
Elfanie wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:44:25 GMT, "Mary W." >
> wrote:
>

>>I think its definately reasonable to go to 42 weeks. I also
>>think, with the latest VBAC study, that if I were at 42 weeks
>>I'd go straight to a c-section.
>>

> I'm curious why you feel this way...what factors influence your
> decision that if you went to 42 weeks you'd go straight to surgery..?
> (you didn't qualify this with anytyhing...so I'm assuming at 42 weeks
> you'd go to surgery regardless of anything else going on?)

Because 42 weeks was as long as I could stay in midwife care. Then
I would have been transferred to the OBs, something I really didn't
want to do. Plus, I think there is evidence (which I am not overly
familiar with, but would have investigated further if I had gone longer)
that 42 weeks is when things can start to deteriorate for the baby.

I know there are plenty of women who go past 42 weeks, but that was
something I just wasn't comfortable with, and not sure I'd fight for.

Mary W.

KC
July 17th 05, 11:33 PM
Perhaps try drinking some Red Raspberrry Leaf tea. It tends to make
contractions more coordinated, so might help your coming and going
contractions turn into the real thing without making your contraction
be super hard like contractions with induction are.

KC

Mary W.
July 17th 05, 11:50 PM
Elfanie wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:02:28 GMT, "Mary W." >
> wrote:
>

>>Because 42 weeks was as long as I could stay in midwife care. Then
>>I would have been transferred to the OBs, something I really didn't
>>want to do.
>

> Aaahh...gotcha. This makes sense..
>

>>Plus, I think there is evidence (which I am not overly
>>familiar with, but would have investigated further if I had gone longer)
>>that 42 weeks is when things can start to deteriorate for the baby.
>>

> *nods*
> However.."can start" is different than "will start".

Definately! I think some women are programmed to go 43 weeks,
that's how long it takes a baby to cook.

> Just like someone overweight is at an increased risk of
> diabetes...doesn't mean all overweight people (or even most) will
> develop diabetes.
>
> and just because there is an increased risk of problems after 42
> weeks...doesn't mean there WILL be problems then. They can screen you
> at 42 weeks and make sure everything's still going well...

Agreed, and I really don't know the research as to how well that
screening works. I think trying to go past 42 weeks when you
are in the care of OBs or midwives that work in a hospital
setting is getting increasingly difficult.

>>I know there are plenty of women who go past 42 weeks, but that was
>>something I just wasn't comfortable with, and not sure I'd fight for.
>>

> *nods* Makes sense...thanks for sharing with me. =)

No problem. :)

Mary W.

July 18th 05, 01:21 AM
I'd say no to both induction AND a c-section.

I had a section with my first baby, followed by two VBACs. I went to 42
weeks all three times. I agreed to lots of monitoring and I was going
for biophysical profiles every two or three days in the overtime
innings (fancy ultrasounds that give them a good idea of how well baby
is doing and placenta is functioning). I was fine, baby was fine, so
they let me go. My mom was the same way - her pregnancies were 42 weeks
as well.

I just have a slow oven. Incidentally, all three kids were very big,
healthy and had no problems at all due to being "post mature".

I would never have said yes to another section just because I was a
week past official dates. I would also not have agreed to induction.

I WOULD have thought about accepting interventions IF and only IF there
were clear signs of a medical problem for me or baby brewing - but one
size fits all protocols - no way.

Mary G.
Baby #1, 42 weeks + 2 days, 9 lb 11. 5 ounces, I was 34, c-section
Baby #2, 42 weeks + 1 day, 9 lb 8 ounces, I was 37, VBAC
Baby 3#, 42 weeks, 10 lb 4 ounces, I was 41, VBAC

carl jones
July 25th 05, 01:46 AM
"L.A." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all...
>
> Well, here I am, 41 weeks today and no baby. I'm not uncomfortable or
> irritable (well, any more so than usual!), and am willing to just wait
> for baby to be ready. But I have the spectre of a c-section hanging
> over me that has me very upset and worried. My first was a section, my
> second a VBAC after spontaneous labour started on my due date. Now my
> doc tells me if I go ten days over, they'll want to do a section this
> time.

((((Hugs))))

I really hope you go into labor spontaneously. Why are you allowing your
doctor to rupture the membranes if that only puts you on the clock for a
cesarean? Trust your body. You know how to give birth better than your
doctor If labor doesn't begin when YOU feel it should and it seems overly
late, there are plenty of natural things you can do to get it started. Post
again and I'll give you some natural remedies to get labor going. Avoid a
cesarean at all costs, I believe. Good luck

Carl

carl jones
July 25th 05, 01:58 AM
"Sidheag McCormack" > wrote in message
> They want to do a C/S, you don't want one, there does not appear to be a
> medical indication for one. Just Say No. You don't have to "talk him into
> waiting a few more days" - simply refuse your consent for breaking the
> waters. (And if I were you, I'd refuse consent to a vaginal examination
> too, just in case your waters "accidentally" got broken, but I'm a cynic.)
> I think your instincts are spot on. Babies come when they're ready. Be
> strong!

I agree completely. Allowing her doctor to break the waters could be
tantamount to be railroaded into a cesarean section!

Carl

July 26th 05, 02:14 AM
L.A. > writes:
: Hi all...

: Well, here I am, 41 weeks today and no baby. I'm not uncomfortable or
: irritable (well, any more so than usual!), and am willing to just wait
: for baby to be ready. But I have the spectre of a c-section hanging
: over me that has me very upset and worried.

Reading your post, rightly so!

: My first was a section, my
: second a VBAC after spontaneous labour started on my due date.

This good history. This means that you can well do it!

: Now my
: doc tells me if I go ten days over, they'll want to do a section this
: time.

This is a bit arbitrary. I would suggest a counter negotiating tactic.
You agree to test for placental viability and amniotic fluid volume with
an ultrasound every 4 days, and as long as everything is ok, you wait.

: They won't induce because of the increased risk associated with
: VBAC, so if baby doesn't come, they may try to break my water and see
: what happens.

I only like half of this. That is refusing to induce because of the
risk of uterine rupture. I *DON'T* like the AROM, as that puts you
on a clock. Again, I would agree only with medical cause.

: If that doesn't work, they'll go directly to section.

Yeah. That's the problem with their plan, and why IMHO it should be
refused.

: I'm so discouraged because my VBAC was a great experience, as opposed
: to my emergency section which was horrid. To make matters worse, I've
: been having contractions getting down to about five minutes apart and a
: minute long (although not terribly hard) for days. It starts every
: night, goes for a few hours and stops. At my appointment last week,
: the doc said my cervix was thin, but not dilated at all, and there's no
: presenting part in the pelvis. Ultrasound showed baby floating high,
: although head down. Non-stress test showed happy, active baby.

These are good signs and only reinforce my opinion that you are being
railroaded by talking about section at a specific date.

: I have
: to see the OB tomorrow who will want to admit me Tuesday for breaking
: of waters. I'm afraid baby's not ready and it won't work and I'll end
: up with the dreaded section. I have to brace myself to try and talk
: him into waiting a few more days if the baby seems okay. But my heart
: is down in my toes right now and I don't feel very strong at all.
: Thanks for listening.

Just say no!

: L.A.

Good luck,