PDA

View Full Version : 3yo with runny nose update

Emily
July 19th 05, 09:13 PM
Hi folks,

Since I posted a couple of weeks ago about my
mom's concerns that DS has had more than his fair
share of coughs/runnny noses, I've been tracking
his symptoms. It seemed like a good idea to do
that before doing any elimination diets, etc, since
I need a baseline to compare against.

I'm happy to report that in the past two weeks
I've only ever needed to wipe DS's nose if he's
been crying. Other than that, he's had a hoarse
voice a couple of times, coughed once or twice after
drinking some water, and occasionally had "stuffy
nose voice", but that's it!

Meanwhile, we've done nothing special with his
diet. If it was food that's causing it, it's not
milk or wheat (he's had plenty of both). I'm going
with fulltime day care as the culprit for all those
colds he had over the past few months, combined with
perhaps not enough sleep to get over them quickly.

Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05

July 20th 05, 05:21 AM
Putting your kid in daycare has more issues than you'll ever know.

Regards...

Emily wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm going
> with fulltime day care as the culprit for all those
> colds he had over the past few months, combined with
> perhaps not enough sleep to get over them quickly.
>
> Emily
> --
> DS 5/02
> EDD Labor Day 9/5/05

stasya
July 21st 05, 11:29 PM
Not putting a kid in daycare has more issues than you'll ever know...

July 23rd 05, 06:33 AM
stasya wrote:
> Not putting a kid in daycare has more issues than you'll ever know...

Really? Like what? What possible thing can a daycare give your child
that, you as a parent or a person of vested interest (such as a
grandparent, sibling or other close family member), cannot give your
child?

Here's a link you should read:

http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20050504-000004.html

Regards...

stasya
July 24th 05, 12:11 AM
There's exceptions to every rule. Take my particular example.
My parents are not...lets say, children people. His parents live in
another country (Iran in case it matters). My siblings live 3 hours
drive away. There are no 'vested interest' people around. This is
probably the rule rather than the exception for people these days the
way families are scattered. I myself was raised a province away from
any blood relatives other than direct family.
My husband bought a restaurant and bar in a small town of 700 people.
Who knew that the damn thing would need to be babysat 18 hours a day?
Not us. A tad naive, but I was raised to pitch in and do whatever was
neccesary to make the family business run, considering that's what pays
the bills, whether its taking shifts due to initial short staff, or
tending the bar until 3 am. I admit, at this point in time, 2 years
later, it runs much more smoothly, we're plenty up on staff, and we've
cut our hours down to midnight rather than until the last partier goes
home. But for a while there, both my children were in an excellent
daycare where they were always happy to go to, my 3 year old refers to
everyone as her friends, they went outside as much as possible, and
never came home with any odious diseases, rashes, lice or otherwise. My
3 year old is bright, attentive, and now that she doesn't go, seems to
miss the social interaction of kids from 2 years old up to 6 and 7. I'm
not up on all the latest studies, and the minute that I sensed a
problem with their (daycare) situation, I would reassess. I just think
its retarded that ANY situation is blanket judged. Everyone does what
they feel is best, and that's the best they can do. At the end of the
day, (and I accept this for my own kids), your children will grow up,
relatively healthy, relatively happy, and go out and do their own
thing, mostly normal, marry normal people, and have normal and happy
children of their own. Unless of course, you screw up royally and
commit the big no no's of abuse or neglect, etc etc. All the rest, just
interesting discussion.

Stasya