PDA

View Full Version : Weight Gain and Sleeping Position questions (during preg that is!)

Linda
July 20th 05, 11:57 AM
Hi again, thanks to all who replied to my last couple of questions - have
some more.
I'm almost 16 weeks, and have been putting on a LOT of weight recently and
it's starting to worry me a bit. I put on 2 kilos almost straight away -
which I gather was probably fluid, and then nothing for about 8 weeks - had
pretty bad nausea which hasn't really gone away, but I do seem to have a lot
more appetite now than I did. In the past 4 weeks I have suddenly developed
the need to eat a lot - I literally feel ravenous most of the time (even
while I feel sick), and while I don't eat super healthy, I don't really eat
junk either - but unfortunately fruit and veg don't seem to cut it - I need
bread, pasta, potatoes that kind of thing. If I actually don't eat, I feel a
lot worse, and develop a migraine. So I have now put on about 6 kilos to
date, and the need to eat is not diminishing. My doc told me that I
shouldn't actually need to eat more than usual, just make sure what I eat is
filling and good - not empty calories - but really it just doesn't seem
practical right now. I've already gone up a size (and was into maternity
clothes ages ago) and I'm worried that I'll be HUGE by the time this kid is
born. I know in theory that I can lose a fair amount breast feeding, but I
also know several women who put on a lot of weight, and just haven't been
able to lose it later on. This is my first, and I really don't know what to
expect, but I thought that the bulk of the weight gain was in the last
trimester -and did I mention I have stretch marks too?? : (
What is average for most people?? - Any tips, suggestions for me?
Other question - I understand that sleeping on your back restricts blood
flow to the baby as it is developing, and the further on you are, the worse
it is, so I'm trying to get out of the habit, and just sleep on my sides (as
I figure sleeping on tummy is also out!!), but everytime I wake up I seem to
be on my back. Short of strapping a tennis ball to my back, what can I do,
and how much of a problem really is it?
Thanks!!

Sidheag McCormack
July 20th 05, 12:26 PM
Linda writes:

> In the past 4 weeks I have suddenly developed the need to eat a lot - I
> literally feel ravenous most of the time (even while I feel sick), and
> while I don't eat super healthy, I don't really eat junk either - but
> unfortunately fruit and veg don't seem to cut it - I need bread, pasta,
> potatoes that kind of thing. If I actually don't eat, I feel a lot
> worse, and develop a migraine. So I have now put on about 6 kilos to
> date, and the need to eat is not diminishing. My doc told me that I
> shouldn't actually need to eat more than usual, just make sure what I
> eat is filling and good - not empty calories - but really it just
> doesn't seem practical right now. I've already gone up a size (and was
> into maternity clothes ages ago) and I'm worried that I'll be HUGE by
> the time this kid is born. I know in theory that I can lose a fair
> amount breast feeding, but I also know several women who put on a lot of
> weight, and just haven't been able to lose it later on. This is my
> first, and I really don't know what to expect, but I thought that the
> bulk of the weight gain was in the last trimester -and did I mention I
> have stretch marks too?? : ( What is average for most people?? - Any
> tips, suggestions for me?

There's a very wide variation in what people put on when. I'd put on about
2kg by 16 weeks, but it's not uncommon to put on more. I think *really*
listening to your body is key. I'd say, when your body is telling you to
eat, eat - but be sure that you're paying attention, so that when it stops
telling you to eat all the time you don't just carry on eating a lot out of
habit! If it's carbohydrate you're craving but you have no very strong
feelings about what kind of carbohydrate, it would probably be good to go
for high-fibre, low GI stuff where possible. Some people find it helps to
make sure they're eating enough protein too, I gather. I understand being
worried about the weight - but lots of people who do put on a lot in
pregnancy lose it automatically and very fast, and putting on a lot over a
few weeks doesn't prove you're going to put on a lot in total anyway. Your
body really does know what it's doing...

> Other question - I understand that sleeping on
> your back restricts blood flow to the baby as it is developing, and the
> further on you are, the worse it is, so I'm trying to get out of the
> habit, and just sleep on my sides (as I figure sleeping on tummy is also
> out!!), but everytime I wake up I seem to be on my back. Short of
> strapping a tennis ball to my back, what can I do, and how much of a
> problem really is it?

It's not, really - most people seem to say that if there's a restriction of
the blood flow, you will feel bad and move or wake up long before it's a
problem for the baby.

HTH,

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Emily
July 20th 05, 04:41 PM
Hi Linda,

I'm up nearly 40lbs so far (at 33 weeks). Gained 45
with DS, and then lost 53 in the 18 months following
his birth, so I'm not too concerned about this weight.
(It took me 11 months to get back to pre-pg weight last
time, and that seemed long, but then I kept losing :-).

My advice would be to listen to your body, and feed it
what it needs. I find that protein is really important,
and it helps me feel full longer than carbs. (In fact,
early on in this pg, I discovered that if I ate too
much carbs and not enough protein, I felt pretty bad.)
So, you might look into that.

HTH,
Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05

stasya
July 21st 05, 12:20 AM
Hi there,

I wouldn't worry too much about weight as long as you're eating
somewhat healthy. A good friend of mine says she gained less weight on
mcdonald's her first baby, than on her second baby where she only ate
good stuff. So whatever. I'm pretty happy that my doctor doesn't
mention anything about my weight, even if its 6 or 8 lbs one month.
Each pregnancy I gained 65 to 70 lbs (I'm on my third). That's a little
more than the recommended 35 to 45 lbs. But it came right off both
times through a good diet after giving birth and nursing for at least 6
months. At the moment I've gained 12 lbs and I'm at 16 weeks as
well...I don't know what kilos that is, sorry...I seem to really put it
on in the last couple of months of pregnancy.
Good luck

Stasya

oregonchick
July 21st 05, 03:30 PM
"Linda" > wrote in message ...
> Hi again, thanks to all who replied to my last couple of questions - have
> some more.
> I'm almost 16 weeks, and have been putting on a LOT of weight recently and
> it's starting to worry me a bit. I put on 2 kilos almost straight away -
> which I gather was probably fluid, and then nothing for about 8 weeks -
> had pretty bad nausea which hasn't really gone away, but I do seem to have
> a lot more appetite now than I did. In the past 4 weeks I have suddenly
> developed the need to eat a lot - I literally feel ravenous most of the
> time (even while I feel sick), and while I don't eat super healthy, I
> don't really eat junk either - but unfortunately fruit and veg don't seem
> to cut it - I need bread, pasta, potatoes that kind of thing. If I
> actually don't eat, I feel a lot worse, and develop a migraine. So I have
> now put on about 6 kilos to date, and the need to eat is not diminishing.
> My doc told me that I shouldn't actually need to eat more than usual, just
> make sure what I eat is filling and good - not empty calories - but really
> it just doesn't seem practical right now. I've already gone up a size
> (and was into maternity clothes ages ago) and I'm worried that I'll be
> HUGE by the time this kid is born. I know in theory that I can lose a
> fair amount breast feeding, but I also know several women who put on a lot
> of weight, and just haven't been able to lose it later on. This is my
> first, and I really don't know what to expect, but I thought that the bulk
> of the weight gain was in the last trimester -and did I mention I have
> stretch marks too?? : (
> What is average for most people?? - Any tips, suggestions for me?
> Other question - I understand that sleeping on your back restricts blood
> flow to the baby as it is developing, and the further on you are, the
> worse it is, so I'm trying to get out of the habit, and just sleep on my
> sides (as I figure sleeping on tummy is also out!!), but everytime I wake
> up I seem to be on my back. Short of strapping a tennis ball to my back,
> what can I do, and how much of a problem really is it?
> Thanks!!

Ok, from what I gather a kilo is about 2.2 lbs. (sorry, american here). I
am currently 20 weeks along, and have gained pretty dramatically myself. I
am up 15 lbs, so about 7 kilos. I guess at this rate I'll probably gain in
the range of 30-35 lbs, not too bad, but more than I wanted to. Last
pregnancy I gained about 60 lbs, and was freaking out. But with good eating
and exercise afterwards, I lost every bit of it within 6 months. I was
pretty motivated though. I don't think any woman CAN'T lose the weight,
it's just a matter of priority.

As far as back sleeping, my OB didn't mention it. I sleep whichever way
feels comfortable at this point, but will probably go to side sleeping soon.
I still manage to sleep on my belly, but we have a tempurpedic mattress and
it sinks in pretty well.

Raebo
July 23rd 05, 03:48 AM
Definitely don't worry about sleeping on your back. If there is a
problem with blood flow your body will feel it before it hurts the
baby. Sleep however you're comfortable and be grateful you're getting
sleep!

During my prenatal classes we were told that every pound gained is an
extra IQ point for the baby - the point being that weight gain is very
important and can vary hugely. Apparently losing weight afterwards is
easier if your diet had been healthier during pregnancy, I guess that's
because of the type of weight being gained. If you're hungry eat!