PDA

View Full Version : 2 vessel umbilical cord

Kristen
July 20th 05, 09:58 PM
Does anyone have experience with this?

I will be 24 weeks on Sunday. Today I had a 2nd ultrasound. I had my
first one at almost 20 weeks. At that one we got a good look at the
head, the heart and all 4 chambers, stomach, kidneys, legs...Doc said
everything looked great. But she couldn't get a good look at the
umbilical cord so she said they would have another ultrasound at my
next appointment, which happened to be today.

So today I go back and see a different doc in the practice. She did the
ultrasound and at the end showed us a cross section of the cord where
she pointed out there were only 2 vessels, instead of the normal 3. Of
course I am worrying right away! She told me not to worry, that it was
somewhat common and doesn't necessariliy mean anything. But she has me
scheduled to go to the hospital tomorrow. They have better machines
there and they can do a level 2 ultrasound. She kept trying to assure
me that she has seen lots of 2-vessel cords and only 1 time was there a
bigger problem.

Now I am reading online about the possible problems. Seems like usually
heart or kidney problems. But they are saying 70% of the time there is
no problem at all. I still can't help but be nervous about what might
be wrong with my baby. Sigh...

I am having a girl, which from what I read online this cord problem is
usually seen with girls more than boys. I didnt have the QuadScreen
test done, because I figured I am only 27 and dont have ny family
history of abnormalities, so why worry about that test? Although now I
wish I had it to put my mind at ease...

Has anyone gone thru this?

Thanks, Kristen