PDA

View Full Version : 36 week visit

Amy
July 20th 05, 10:08 PM
Here's my update, with various questions interspersed...

I'm 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced! I know that this means nothing in
terms of when I'm going to have the baby, but I can't help but be
hopeful that it will be SOON (especially since it's about 98 and humid
outside!!). I would just love to have this baby before August!

Is there a website that shows pictures of what X dilated and Y% effaced
look like? I've looked, and can't find anything.

I'm also gratified to know that what I thought might be my mucus plug
was, indeed, mucus plug, and what we thought might be "lightening" was,
in fact, the baby getting into position. We're head down, buns up, and
ready for take off! Good baby!!

The baby's not going to turn between now and birth, right? If we're in
position, we're there. I don't need to worry about getting in the pool
or anything, do I? I'm not doing handstands in there or anything silly
- just floating around and enjoying the weightless feeling... I highly
recommend getting in a pool, by the way. It felt so good that I forgot
I was wearing an ugly maternity suit!

I have a hard time believing that sex wouldn't hurt the baby at this
point. If the head is right there, how is that possible? I know this
is a totally rookie question, but I just can't figure out how it could
possibly NOT hurt the baby, if the head is right there...

My husband is evil - when they were weighing me, he put his foot on the
scale and made it look like I'd gained 30 pounds in two weeks! I
nearly had heart failure - especially considering that I've only gained
27 pounds since the beginning!! And they WONDER why my blood pressure
is wonky, they should try living with him!!! It was 140/70 today,
which is really good for me. I was sort of hoping for a couple days of
bedrest, though. No such luck. :)

Thanks, in advance, for answering my questions!!
Amy

Emily
July 20th 05, 10:12 PM
Hi Amy,

That all sounds great! Don't get your hopes up about
delivering early, though. It's better to be pleasantly
surprised than sitting around at 41 weeks (average for
first timers) feeling "late".

As for position, I think it's pretty unlikely that he'll
turn breech at this point, but some folks here should have
suggestions about things to do to make the position even
more ideal (i.e., anterior, not posterior). Pelvic rocks
being one. Hmmm... Maybe I should do some now!

As for sex, I'd imagine that you'd feel pain on your cervix
before anything could possibly hurt the baby. If
you're worried, just go for positions where you're in
control ;-)

Emily

Ericka Kammerer
July 20th 05, 10:28 PM
Amy wrote:

> Here's my update, with various questions interspersed...
>
> I'm 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced! I know that this means nothing in
> terms of when I'm going to have the baby, but I can't help but be
> hopeful that it will be SOON (especially since it's about 98 and humid
> outside!!). I would just love to have this baby before August!

Good luck, but as you know, don't hold your breath...

> Is there a website that shows pictures of what X dilated and Y% effaced
> look like? I've looked, and can't find anything.

Hmmm...they sell charts with that sort of info.
Here are some, even though it's hard to see the graphics:

http://www.birthsource.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=122
http://www.childbirthedu.com/ch200.htm

> The baby's not going to turn between now and birth, right?

Probably not. It's *possible*, but unlikely.

> If we're in
> position, we're there. I don't need to worry about getting in the pool
> or anything, do I?

Pool shouldn't be a problem.

> I have a hard time believing that sex wouldn't hurt the baby at this
> point. If the head is right there, how is that possible? I know this
> is a totally rookie question, but I just can't figure out how it could
> possibly NOT hurt the baby, if the head is right there...

Your cervix still isn't very effaced, and there's still
the cushion of the amniotic fluid.

Best wishes,
Ericka

emilymr
July 21st 05, 12:01 AM
Don't have any answers for your first questions since Micah never engaged
and thus I never lightened (although I did go into labor 4 days early...
<evil laugh>) but, and this may be coincidental, sex worked for getting
things started off! ;) And that's too funny about your husband and the
scale. At least he's not looking at your belly and saying, "That's
OBSCENE!!", right?

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Mum of Two
July 21st 05, 05:47 AM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Amy wrote:
>
>> Here's my update, with various questions interspersed...
>>
>> I'm 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced! I know that this means nothing in
>> terms of when I'm going to have the baby, but I can't help but be
>> hopeful that it will be SOON (especially since it's about 98 and humid
>> outside!!). I would just love to have this baby before August!
>
> Good luck, but as you know, don't hold your breath...
>
>> Is there a website that shows pictures of what X dilated and Y% effaced
>> look like? I've looked, and can't find anything.
>
> Hmmm...they sell charts with that sort of info.
> Here are some, even though it's hard to see the graphics:
>
> http://www.birthsource.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=122
> http://www.childbirthedu.com/ch200.htm

Except I don't think those are actual size! ;-)

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Ericka Kammerer
July 21st 05, 01:18 PM
Mum of Two wrote:

> "Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
>
>>Amy wrote:
>>

>>>Here's my update, with various questions interspersed...
>>>
>>>I'm 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced! I know that this means nothing in
>>>terms of when I'm going to have the baby, but I can't help but be
>>>hopeful that it will be SOON (especially since it's about 98 and humid
>>>outside!!). I would just love to have this baby before August!
>>
>>Good luck, but as you know, don't hold your breath...
>>

>>>Is there a website that shows pictures of what X dilated and Y% effaced
>>>look like? I've looked, and can't find anything.
>>
>>Hmmm...they sell charts with that sort of info.
>>Here are some, even though it's hard to see the graphics:
>>
>>http://www.birthsource.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=122
>>http://www.childbirthedu.com/ch200.htm
>

> Except I don't think those are actual size! ;-)

No, they're not ;-) I figured they might help
visualize, though. And Amy, check the walls at your
doctor's/midwife's office next time you're there--they
usually have one of these charts hanging around
*somewhere*!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Chookie
July 21st 05, 02:03 PM
In article om>,
"Amy" > wrote:

> I have a hard time believing that sex wouldn't hurt the baby at this
> point. If the head is right there, how is that possible? I know this
> is a totally rookie question, but I just can't figure out how it could
> possibly NOT hurt the baby, if the head is right there...

Years ago, I heard about the bad effect sex can have on the baby.

A woman had just given birth to a son. The Ob cut the cord and picked the
baby up to weigh him. The baby shouted, "Are you my Daddy?"

"Er, no, I'm the doctor."

"Well get my Daddy, then!"

The father came over.

"Come over here! Closer!" shouted the baby.

The father bent down close to the baby. The baby tapped his father repeatedly
on the forehead with his index finger.

"See how *you* like it, buster!"

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Grymma
July 21st 05, 02:07 PM
Chookie wrote:
> In article om>,
> "Amy" > wrote:
>
>> I have a hard time believing that sex wouldn't hurt the baby at this
>> point. If the head is right there, how is that possible? I know this
>> is a totally rookie question, but I just can't figure out how it could
>> possibly NOT hurt the baby, if the head is right there...
>
> Years ago, I heard about the bad effect sex can have on the baby.
>
> A woman had just given birth to a son. The Ob cut the cord and picked the
> baby up to weigh him. The baby shouted, "Are you my Daddy?"
>
> "Er, no, I'm the doctor."
>
> "Well get my Daddy, then!"
>
> The father came over.
>
> "Come over here! Closer!" shouted the baby.
>
> The father bent down close to the baby. The baby tapped his father
> repeatedly on the forehead with his index finger.
>
> "See how *you* like it, buster!"

*giggle*

I think that truly is my husbands fear. He won't even contemplate sex with
me when I'm pregnant - some strange notion he has that somehow the baby will
remember all about it, puts him right off... I'm not *particularly*
bothered, but he just won't listen to reason on the subject, and it's a
closed discussion, end of story. Luckily for him, he's not adverse to lots
of cuddling, or I'd think he didn't love me anymore.... :-/

--
Grymma AFPOh Goddess Of Hangovers; B.F.(use 'reply to')
Raising a child is like baking a cake - by the time you find out

Mum of Two
July 21st 05, 02:53 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Mum of Two wrote:

>>>Good luck, but as you know, don't hold your breath...

>>>Hmmm...they sell charts with that sort of info.
>>>Here are some, even though it's hard to see the graphics:
>>>
>>>http://www.birthsource.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=122
>>>http://www.childbirthedu.com/ch200.htm
>>

>> Except I don't think those are actual size! ;-)
>
> No, they're not ;-) I figured they might help
> visualize, though.

And thank G*d for that! 30% would _not_ have helped there.
Ok Amy, you can uncross your legs now ;-)

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Mum of Two
July 21st 05, 02:56 PM
"Grymma" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Chookie wrote:
>> In article om>,
>> "Amy" > wrote:
>>
>>> I have a hard time believing that sex wouldn't hurt the baby at this
>>> point. If the head is right there, how is that possible? I know this
>>> is a totally rookie question, but I just can't figure out how it could
>>> possibly NOT hurt the baby, if the head is right there...
>>
>> Years ago, I heard about the bad effect sex can have on the baby.
>>
>> A woman had just given birth to a son. The Ob cut the cord and picked
>> the
>> baby up to weigh him. The baby shouted, "Are you my Daddy?"
>>
>> "Er, no, I'm the doctor."
>>
>> "Well get my Daddy, then!"
>>
>> The father came over.
>>
>> "Come over here! Closer!" shouted the baby.
>>
>> The father bent down close to the baby. The baby tapped his father
>> repeatedly on the forehead with his index finger.
>>
>> "See how *you* like it, buster!"
>
> *giggle*
>
> I think that truly is my husbands fear. He won't even contemplate sex with
> me when I'm pregnant - some strange notion he has that somehow the baby
> will remember all about it, puts him right off... I'm not *particularly*
> bothered, but he just won't listen to reason on the subject, and it's a
> closed discussion, end of story. Luckily for him, he's not adverse to
> lots of cuddling, or I'd think he didn't love me anymore.... :-/

Oh heck, enjoy it while you can! There is nothing more inhibiting than an
11-month-old who has mastered the art of mimicry crawling around outside the
bedroom door!

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Grymma
July 21st 05, 03:45 PM
Mum of Two wrote:
> "Grymma" > wrote
<snip>

>> *giggle*
>>
>> I think that truly is my husbands fear. He won't even contemplate sex
>> with me when I'm pregnant - some strange notion he has that somehow the
>> baby will remember all about it, puts him right off... I'm not
>> *particularly* bothered, but he just won't listen to reason on the
>> subject, and it's a closed discussion, end of story. Luckily for him,
>> he's not adverse to lots of cuddling, or I'd think he didn't love me
>> anymore.... :-/
>

> Oh heck, enjoy it while you can! There is nothing more inhibiting than an
> 11-month-old who has mastered the art of mimicry crawling around outside
> the bedroom door!

LOL!

I've got an 18 y.o and an 11 y.o. The disgusted looks my strangely puritan
18 y.o gives me are bad enough - as a very down to earth friend of hers put
it, when told I was expecting? 'Ewww, you know what that means?? Your
parents still *do it*'!!! The 11. y.o. is naive in such matters and hasn't
really thought about the implications... :-)

I sure hope they've never actually heard us, though! LOL!

--
Grymma AFPOh Goddess Of Hangovers; B.F.(use 'reply to')
I hate housework! You make the beds, you do the dishes -

sharalyns
July 21st 05, 04:05 PM
Mum of Two wrote:

> Except I don't think those are actual size! ;-)

If you purchased them and had them in hand, they would be.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Mum of Two
July 22nd 05, 05:26 AM
"Grymma" > wrote in message
k...
> Mum of Two wrote:
>> "Grymma" > wrote
> <snip>
>>>
>>> *giggle*
>>>
>>> I think that truly is my husbands fear. He won't even contemplate sex
>>> with me when I'm pregnant - some strange notion he has that somehow the
>>> baby will remember all about it, puts him right off... I'm not
>>> *particularly* bothered, but he just won't listen to reason on the
>>> subject, and it's a closed discussion, end of story. Luckily for him,
>>> he's not adverse to lots of cuddling, or I'd think he didn't love me
>>> anymore.... :-/
>>

>> Oh heck, enjoy it while you can! There is nothing more inhibiting than an
>> 11-month-old who has mastered the art of mimicry crawling around outside
>> the bedroom door!
>
> LOL!
>
> I've got an 18 y.o and an 11 y.o. The disgusted looks my strangely
> puritan 18 y.o gives me are bad enough - as a very down to earth friend of
> hers put it, when told I was expecting? 'Ewww, you know what that means??
> Your parents still *do it*'!!! The 11. y.o. is naive in such matters and
> hasn't really thought about the implications... :-)

Heh! It's funny how no-one ever thinks their own parents still make love. I
had to break the news to DH that his parents still did (lord knows, but it
came up in a conversation with MIL) when he'd said something like (and don't
ask me how the subject came up, "Don't be stupid, Mum & Dad haven't been
able to since Mum's operation!". MIL has a colostomy bag. I don't know how
DH thought this made sex impossible, I guess he just didn't want to think
about it ;-) He's in his 30's, so I wouldn't expect your 11 y.o. to figure
it out!

> I sure hope they've never actually heard us, though! LOL!

I know...I felt so disturbed by it all! Here I was thinking, "She's only 11
months old, what will she possibly understand/remember?" and "She'll just
play with her toys in the hall outside the room". It certainly changed my
perspective.
Apparently uninhibited sex comes to a grinding halt once someone gifts your
child one of those little Fisher Price cassette recorders. Mum gave DD one
already, but she isn't old enough to leave it under the bed and push record
yet!

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 07:54 AM
"Amy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Here's my update, with various questions interspersed...
>
> I'm 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced! I know that this means nothing in
> terms of when I'm going to have the baby, but I can't help but be
> hopeful that it will be SOON (especially since it's about 98 and humid
> outside!!). I would just love to have this baby before August!

Maybe August will be cooler. :) It's been hot and humid here, too.

> Is there a website that shows pictures of what X dilated and Y% effaced
> look like? I've looked, and can't find anything.
>
> I'm also gratified to know that what I thought might be my mucus plug
> was, indeed, mucus plug, and what we thought might be "lightening" was,
> in fact, the baby getting into position. We're head down, buns up, and
> ready for take off! Good baby!!

Wooo hooo!! Good baby is right. :)

> The baby's not going to turn between now and birth, right? If we're in
> position, we're there. I don't need to worry about getting in the pool
> or anything, do I? I'm not doing handstands in there or anything silly
> - just floating around and enjoying the weightless feeling... I highly
> recommend getting in a pool, by the way. It felt so good that I forgot
> I was wearing an ugly maternity suit!

I should think floating in the pool should be fine (and sounds lovely). It
is pretty doubtful baby will turn.

> I have a hard time believing that sex wouldn't hurt the baby at this
> point. If the head is right there, how is that possible? I know this
> is a totally rookie question, but I just can't figure out how it could
> possibly NOT hurt the baby, if the head is right there...

Well, the baby's head is still cushioned, y'know... :) I've had sex to the
night before the baby was born, and they didn't come out with any bruises.
:)

> My husband is evil - when they were weighing me, he put his foot on the
> scale and made it look like I'd gained 30 pounds in two weeks! I
> nearly had heart failure - especially considering that I've only gained
> 27 pounds since the beginning!! And they WONDER why my blood pressure
> is wonky, they should try living with him!!! It was 140/70 today,
> which is really good for me. I was sort of hoping for a couple days of
> bedrest, though. No such luck. :)

Yea!! It's great that your blood pressure is doing so well. Tsk tsk on
your hubby. Very funny, though. :)

--
Joy

Rose 1-99