PDA

View Full Version : Strange smells...

xkatx
July 21st 05, 05:38 AM
I seem to have a problem with smells... Has anyone had anything similar
happen or have I fallen off my rocker?
Lately I've taken a real liking to the smells of the strangest, and normally
grossest, smells, and can't stand things that normally smell 'good'...
For example... I no longer gag at the smell of something like exhaust, and
out of nowhere, I noticed I actually enjoy the smell of my car (it's a
diesel engine, and the smell of diesel seems to be actually pleasant to
me...) Also, the smell of my trunk, which smells funky since water seems to
get into it and make it have an odd smell to it that I like :(
Another thing I have had big problems with is things like paint, WD-40 and
permanant markers... I've been doing all this cleaning and packing/marking
of boxes, and the smell of the markers is something I actually really
enjoy... But, something like the smell of pancakes, which is normally really
good, made me feel like I was going to throw up earlier today.
It's just really odd... Smells I normally hated, like diesel and markers,
are smells I now enjoy, and things that used to smell real good seem to
smell really bad and make me feel sick. Is this normal to have a complete
change for smells during pregnancy?? I don't recall this with previous
pregnancies really, and I'm wondering if this is good or bad. I'm not at
all sitting around huffing gas fumes, nor am I trying to sit and sniff
markers in my spare time, but the times that it comes to using something
like the markers (while packing and marking boxes to move) or the car have
all of a sudden become enjoyable...
Am I normal??? It just seems so weird to me and DH is thinking it's
probably pretty normal to have something like this happen with the hormones
or something, but neither of us are sure, and, quite frankly, I think it's
just downright odd...

Welches
July 21st 05, 11:09 AM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
>I seem to have a problem with smells... Has anyone had anything similar
>happen or have I fallen off my rocker?

Increased smell can be a symptom of pregnancy. I think it's to do with
increased blood flow to the nose.
I couldn't go into the kitchen/food shops because of the smell without being
sick but it's not noticeable when I'm not pregnant. When I was pregnant with
#1 I loved the smell of Sainsburies washing powder. It smelt so nice I
actually felt like I wanted to eat it (I didn't) :-D With #2 I didn't like
the smell at all.
I've heard a few tales about women during pregnancy, including one who was
convinced her pillows were mouldy by the smell, so threw them away and
brought some more-then found they smelled as bad. And more than one case of
women who can't stand the smell of their partner during pregnancy.
When pregnant with #2 I de-odourized the carpet about every fortnight
otherwise it smelt.
It's usual, you don't need to worry that you're going mad! :-)
Debbie

Amy
July 21st 05, 02:11 PM
xkatx wrote:
> I seem to have a problem with smells...

Totally normal. I couldn't go to the mall during my first trimester,
and part of my second, because the Yankee Candle store made me want to
vomit, and the place where they flavor the nuts was like a gag-inducing
torture chamber. I don't think I went to the mall for anything until I
was well into the second half of my second trimester, and even then I
stayed at the non-stinky end.

Amy

Jamie Clark
July 21st 05, 05:24 PM
Oh goodness, the smell of those candle places makes me want to puke when I'm
not pregnant! I literally can't walk into those stores without getting a
raging migraine.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels: