PDA

View Full Version : Gender revealed due to name help

A&G&K&H
July 22nd 05, 05:38 AM
"Joybelle" > wrote in message
> Well, I can't very well ask this question without revealing baby's gender.
> :)
>
> Here are some of the names on our list:
>
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance

I like Vincent
Amanda
--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Andrea S
July 22nd 05, 06:38 AM
"Joybelle" wrote in message...

> Well, I can't very well ask this question without revealing baby's gender.
> :)
>
> Here are some of the names on our list:
>
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.
>
> My first son's name is Spencer. If you say Asher and Spencer, do they
> sound
> too similar? I like a few other names, but these are the ones hubby and I
> agree on. I like the name Asher because of its meaning: blessed,
> fortunate. I like Mason a lot, also. I've been thinking of this baby as
> My
> Son, and it sounds similar. Vincent and Lance are both names I kind of
> like
> and hubby likes. If I remember correctly, Vincent has a good meaning,
> also.
> And yes, Charles and Philip are great names, and I should use them as
> first
> names, but I won't be. My dad's name is Philip, and he made me promise
> not
> to use it. He hates it for some reason, but I think I can get away with
> using it as a middle name. My dad's middle name is Charles, but it's also
> my brother's name, so I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a first name.
>
> Thoughts please. :)
>

> --
> Joy
>
> Rose 1-99
> Iris 2-01
> Spencer 3-03
> # 4 Sept 2005

I like Mason Philip :o)

Congrats BTW! Hope the pregnancy is going well for you.

Andrea - mom of 5 awaiting our lil' gal Anya due October.

sharalyns
July 22nd 05, 06:49 AM
Ok--here's my take (take it for what it's worth) ;-)

I think Asher and Spencer do sound too much alike--they sound like
those twin names that people try to rhyme, but not really. Does that
make sense? Plus, Asher Charles doesn't seem to flow, and Philip sounds
too harsh with Asher. The meaning for it in my book is "happy".
(although this way all four kids have an "r" and an "s")

Mason was originally a surname and therefore means stone-mason (someone
who works with stone--or another take on that would be someone who
takes something that is hard/difficult to work with and turns it into
something good and useful--might be appropriate given circumstances). I
think Mason Charles sounds better than Mason Philip, but they both
work. Spencer and Mason fit well together (I think).

Vincent means "to conquer", also appropriate given circumstances.
Spencer and Vincent seem to go together well. Plus, then the girls can
have the "r" and "s" while the boys then have "nce". (Ok, I notice
weird things). Vincent Charles sounds very nice, and Vincent Philip
sounds regal somehow.

Lance is derived from Lancelot which has many theories to what it
means--everything from German Lanzo to it was made up to a derivative
of the Norman Ancel which means "servant". I would say that Lance least
fits in with the other kids' names, and doesn't really flow with
Charles or Philip. It just seems abrupt.

Anyway, I personally would lean toward either Mason or Vincent, but
that's just my $.02.

I know you'll pick the right name out. :-)

HTH!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

sharalyns
July 22nd 05, 06:52 AM
BTW--congrats on the boy!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 07:33 AM
[...]

rangitotogirl
July 22nd 05, 07:55 AM
"Joybelle" > wrote in message
> Well, I can't very well ask this question without revealing baby's gender.
> :)
>
> Here are some of the names on our list:
>
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.

I like Vincent Charles or Mason Phillip. Asher and Spencer do sound quite
rhymy when you use them together so if you want to avoid that, I wouldn't go
with that name.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jamie Clark
July 22nd 05, 07:57 AM
Mason was our first choice if Addie had been a boy. It's a good solid name,
traditional and undeniably male, and no confusion on the spelling. I also
like Asher, but it seems sort of "now" -- not quite trendy, but sort of "era
2005" if you know what I mean. Like maybe it's the front end of a trend,
and in 20-30 years we'll all be looking back and saying -- "Oh gosh,
remember how many Ashers were born in the first decade of 2000?"

I'm not sure why, but I'm not a fan of Vincent or Lance. They have the same
feel to me.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Joybelle" > wrote in message
> Well, I can't very well ask this question without revealing baby's gender.
> :)
>
> Here are some of the names on our list:
>
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.
>
> My first son's name is Spencer. If you say Asher and Spencer, do they
> sound
> too similar? I like a few other names, but these are the ones hubby and I
> agree on. I like the name Asher because of its meaning: blessed,
> fortunate. I like Mason a lot, also. I've been thinking of this baby as
> My
> Son, and it sounds similar. Vincent and Lance are both names I kind of
> like
> and hubby likes. If I remember correctly, Vincent has a good meaning,
> also.
> And yes, Charles and Philip are great names, and I should use them as
> first
> names, but I won't be. My dad's name is Philip, and he made me promise
> not
> to use it. He hates it for some reason, but I think I can get away with
> using it as a middle name. My dad's middle name is Charles, but it's also
> my brother's name, so I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a first name.
>
> Thoughts please. :)
>

> --
> Joy
>
> Rose 1-99
> Iris 2-01
> Spencer 3-03
> # 4 Sept 2005

Mum of Two
July 22nd 05, 10:20 AM
"Joybelle" > wrote in message
> Well, I can't very well ask this question without revealing baby's gender.
> :)
>
> Here are some of the names on our list:
>
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.
>
> My first son's name is Spencer. If you say Asher and Spencer, do they
> sound
> too similar? I like a few other names, but these are the ones hubby and I
> agree on. I like the name Asher because of its meaning: blessed,
> fortunate. I like Mason a lot, also. I've been thinking of this baby as
> My
> Son, and it sounds similar. Vincent and Lance are both names I kind of
> like
> and hubby likes. If I remember correctly, Vincent has a good meaning,
> also.
> And yes, Charles and Philip are great names, and I should use them as
> first
> names, but I won't be. My dad's name is Philip, and he made me promise
> not
> to use it. He hates it for some reason, but I think I can get away with
> using it as a middle name. My dad's middle name is Charles, but it's also
> my brother's name, so I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a first name.
>
> Thoughts please. :)

I think they're all good names. I like Asher (DD might have been Asha,
except we'd already named our rabbit that ;-) but I do agree with the others
that it sounds a bit rhymy with Spencer. Mind you, that's the last
consideration really, since he's going to have to live with with his name
for life, whereas you'd spend a relatively short time in shopping malls
nagging "Spencer! Asher!".
I like Mason a lot, and I like Sharalyn's interpretation of it. Mason
Charles sounds warmer than Mason Phillip somehow, if that makes sense.
Congrats on your son!

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Mary W.
July 22nd 05, 03:02 PM
Joybelle wrote:
> Well, I can't very well ask this question without revealing baby's gender.
> :)
>
> Here are some of the names on our list:
>
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.

Congratulations on your boy! I like
Mason Charles
or
Vincent Philip

Lance and Asher are nice, but I prefer Mason and
Vincent. I think I like Mason a little more.

Mary W.

Circe
July 22nd 05, 03:21 PM
"Joybelle" > wrote in message
> Well, I can't very well ask this question without revealing baby's gender.
> :)
>
> Here are some of the names on our list:
>
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.

I can't say I care for Asher. I like Mason a lot. Vincent is my husband's
first name, but he never uses it because it was his father's name and so at
home, he was called by his middle name to avoid confusion. Lance is a great
name, but I'm not sure it "works" with either of your middle names.

If I were choosing, it would be either Mason or Vincent, but probably more
likely Mason.

Congrats on the boy!
--
Be well, Barbara

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 06:29 PM
"A&G&K&H" > wrote in message

> I like Vincent
> Amanda

Thanks, Amanda!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 06:31 PM
"Andrea S" > wrote in message
k...

> I like Mason Philip :o)
>
> Congrats BTW! Hope the pregnancy is going well for you.

Thanks, Andrea! I really do like the name Mason, and I like it with either
Charles or Philip.

The pregnancy is going well. I think the belly went through a growth spurt
this week, though. It just seems pants are fitting different or something.
:) I have to take the 3hour GTT next week, which I'm not looking all that
forward to...

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 06:41 PM
"sharalyns" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ok--here's my take (take it for what it's worth) ;-)
>
> I think Asher and Spencer do sound too much alike--they sound like
> those twin names that people try to rhyme, but not really. Does that
> make sense? Plus, Asher Charles doesn't seem to flow, and Philip sounds
> too harsh with Asher. The meaning for it in my book is "happy".
> (although this way all four kids have an "r" and an "s")

I know exactly what you're saying. I feel the same way, but then I think,
"Well, I have a Rose and an Iris, and I could apply that same thought.".
And, yes, you are correct, the name means happy! After I went to bed after
posting I was thinking I didn't write the correct meaning. We considered
Asher last time, also. The reason we liked it is because Joy means happy
also. :) The R and S thing is definitely a consideration, though I'm trying
not to get hung up on it.

> Mason was originally a surname and therefore means stone-mason (someone
> who works with stone--or another take on that would be someone who
> takes something that is hard/difficult to work with and turns it into
> something good and useful--might be appropriate given circumstances). I
> think Mason Charles sounds better than Mason Philip, but they both
> work. Spencer and Mason fit well together (I think).

This is probably my favorite name on the list, but I'm not positive we'll
use it. I think Spencer and Mason go well together myself. Apparently, so
do other people. I was reading recently that Cuba Gooding Jr and his wife
were expecting baby #3 who is to join older brothers Mason, 8, and Spencer,
10. Too funny! At first, I was like the name combo was out, and then I
decided who really cares, and who really knows that beyond a small handful
of people.

> Vincent means "to conquer", also appropriate given circumstances.
> Spencer and Vincent seem to go together well. Plus, then the girls can
> have the "r" and "s" while the boys then have "nce". (Ok, I notice
> weird things). Vincent Charles sounds very nice, and Vincent Philip
> sounds regal somehow.

Sadly, Sharalyn, I notice the same things. We're definitely on the same
page. :) I do really like the meaning of Vincent.

> Lance is derived from Lancelot which has many theories to what it
> means--everything from German Lanzo to it was made up to a derivative
> of the Norman Ancel which means "servant". I would say that Lance least
> fits in with the other kids' names, and doesn't really flow with
> Charles or Philip. It just seems abrupt.

I definitely don't like Lance with Charles very much. I think it sounds a
little better with Philip, but it's not the name high on my list either.

> Anyway, I personally would lean toward either Mason or Vincent, but
> that's just my $.02.
>
> I know you'll pick the right name out. :-)

Thanks so much for your thoughts!! I will probably end up waffling on the
names until the lil' babe is here, but I needed some input. :)

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 06:44 PM
"sharalyns" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> BTW--congrats on the boy!

Thank you, Sharalyn! My oldest knows the gender, and it is what she wanted.
She's wanted a boy with each of my pregnancies, though. :) The 4yo wants a
girl, and the 2yo says "boy" everytime you ask. I think they'll all be
pretty pleased, though.

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 06:45 PM
"rangitotogirl" > wrote in message

> I like Vincent Charles or Mason Phillip. Asher and Spencer do sound quite
> rhymy when you use them together so if you want to avoid that, I wouldn't
go
> with that name.

Thanks for your input! I do think Vincent and Mason look like they're the
favorites here.

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 06:51 PM
"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> Mason was our first choice if Addie had been a boy. It's a good solid
name,
> traditional and undeniably male, and no confusion on the spelling. I also
> like Asher, but it seems sort of "now" -- not quite trendy, but sort of
"era
> 2005" if you know what I mean. Like maybe it's the front end of a trend,
> and in 20-30 years we'll all be looking back and saying -- "Oh gosh,
> remember how many Ashers were born in the first decade of 2000?"

Y'know, you'd think Mason was undeniably male, but for some dumb reason it's
one of those names that little girls are being named. I saw that at some
name site and was a little irked. I still think it sounds quite male
myself, and I really like it.

Asher is actually a biblical name and has been around quite a long time. It
does kind of make me think, though, of the name Ashton that is being used
frequently for boys and girls. I don't think there are a lot of Ashers
being born, but Ashtons are certainly ubiquitous!

> I'm not sure why, but I'm not a fan of Vincent or Lance. They have the
same
> feel to me.

Thanks for your input, Jamie! I think I like Vincent better than Lance. I
have an association with Vincent of a dark-haired Italian, and well, my kids
are all blond and blue-eyed. For that reason alone, I'm not sure I want to
use the name, but my husband loves it.

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 06:54 PM
"Mum of Two" > wrote in message

> I think they're all good names. I like Asher (DD might have been Asha,
> except we'd already named our rabbit that ;-) but I do agree with the
others
> that it sounds a bit rhymy with Spencer. Mind you, that's the last
> consideration really, since he's going to have to live with with his name
> for life, whereas you'd spend a relatively short time in shopping malls
> nagging "Spencer! Asher!".

Good point. I already do "Rose! Iris!", and I'm sure that won't be such a
big deal when they have their own lives.

> I like Mason a lot, and I like Sharalyn's interpretation of it. Mason
> Charles sounds warmer than Mason Phillip somehow, if that makes sense.
> Congrats on your son!

My dad would probably be thrilled if I didn't use Philip at all. :) I do
have a preference toward Charles if I use Mason because this kid would still
have an R and an S in his name... LOL I'm a nut. :)

Thank you on the congrats and input!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 06:55 PM
"Mary W." > wrote in message

> Lance and Asher are nice, but I prefer Mason and
> Vincent. I think I like Mason a little more.

Seems to be the consensus 'round here. :) Thanks for your thoughts, Mary!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 22nd 05, 06:57 PM
"Circe" > wrote in message

> I can't say I care for Asher. I like Mason a lot. Vincent is my husband's
> first name, but he never uses it because it was his father's name and so
at
> home, he was called by his middle name to avoid confusion. Lance is a
great
> name, but I'm not sure it "works" with either of your middle names.
>
> If I were choosing, it would be either Mason or Vincent, but probably more
> likely Mason.

I have to say, Mason is probably my favorite. I did read that Cuba Gooding
Jr and his wife have two sons named Spencer and Mason, and that gave me some
pause, but then again, does it really matter? :)

> Congrats on the boy!

Thank you. :)

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

sharalyns
July 22nd 05, 07:04 PM
Joybelle wrote:

> I know exactly what you're saying. I feel the same way, but then I think,
> "Well, I have a Rose and an Iris, and I could apply that same thought.".
> And, yes, you are correct, the name means happy! After I went to bed after
> posting I was thinking I didn't write the correct meaning. We considered
> Asher last time, also. The reason we liked it is because Joy means happy
> also. :) The R and S thing is definitely a consideration, though I'm trying
> not to get hung up on it.

LOL! I have this thing about numbers of letters in names for our
family. Course it didn't help that I had a dream about it. My husband
has 5 letters in his first name and 8 in his middle. I have 8 for my
first, and 5 for my middle. Alexander is 9 and 5, and in my dream we
had 6 kids--all the boys had 9 and 5, girls had 5 and 9. So then I
looked up all the names, and of course the only other names that we
*like* that fit into it have either already been used(for a boy we used
with our miscarriage) or I don't like the spelling to make it the
correct number! ;-) Although a girl name that I like fits perfectly,
although my husband doesn't like it. I think I'm gonna have to throw
out the whole number thing. ;-)

> This is probably my favorite name on the list, but I'm not positive we'll
> use it. I think Spencer and Mason go well together myself. Apparently, so
> do other people. I was reading recently that Cuba Gooding Jr and his wife
> were expecting baby #3 who is to join older brothers Mason, 8, and Spencer,
> 10. Too funny! At first, I was like the name combo was out, and then I
> decided who really cares, and who really knows that beyond a small handful
> of people.

Plus--Cuba Gooding Jr. doesn't have a Rose and an Iris. :-) Oh--and
Spencer and Mason both have an "n" and an "s", and all four would have
an "s". ;-)

> Sadly, Sharalyn, I notice the same things. We're definitely on the same
> page. :) I do really like the meaning of Vincent.

Do you ever call Spencer "Spence"? Cause you could end up with "Spence
and Vince"....depending on which relative decides to be obnoxious or
what they have their friends call them later on. ;-) That said, the
oldest guy with Cystic Fibrosis that I know is Vincent. He is in his
early 40's now and doing very well most of the time, and has really
severe CF that they totally thought he would live past age 10. That's
really the only person I know named Vincent.

> Thanks so much for your thoughts!! I will probably end up waffling on the
> names until the lil' babe is here, but I needed some input. :)

You'll know when you see him in person. :-) Oh--have you done the
initial thing yet? You know like AC_, AP_, MC_, MP_, VC_, VP_, LC_, and
LP_? (I don't know your last name, so can't help you there).

HTH!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Amy
July 22nd 05, 08:46 PM
Joybelle wrote:
> Well, I can't very well ask this question without revealing baby's gender.
> :)
>
> Here are some of the names on our list:
>
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.

Just to be a pain, I like Charles Philip. What does your brother go
by? The baby could be Chuck or Chuckie, or Charlie...

My brother's name is Chuck, so I'm partial. :)

Amy

Elle
July 22nd 05, 10:36 PM
I like Mason. Asher is also nice, but it is close to Spencer. I love
your My Son -- Mason connection, it is sweet.

Mason Philip sounds better to me than Mason Charles (maybe 'cause it
makes me think of Charles Manson when I write it?)

Congrats on the boy, two of each is lovely.

Elle

Leslie
July 23rd 05, 05:50 AM
I'm bucking the trend and going for Asher, because I like the botanical
association to go along with the girls. And I personally think it
sounds cute with Spencer.

Leslie

July 23rd 05, 06:27 AM
You really should focus on how the first name relates to his last name.
Also, get rid of gay sounding names like "phillip" and "vincent". Lance
is to sexual and he'll get laughed at in school. Asher sounds like a
girl's name.

Choose a strong, leader type of name like "Daniel", "Andrew" or
"Nathan".

Avoid Charles. It's brings up images of losers and he might be called
chucky boy in school.

Regards...

Joybelle wrote:
> Well, I can't very well ask this question without revealing baby's gender.
> :)
>
> Here are some of the names on our list:
>
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.
>
> My first son's name is Spencer. If you say Asher and Spencer, do they sound
> too similar? I like a few other names, but these are the ones hubby and I
> agree on. I like the name Asher because of its meaning: blessed,
> fortunate. I like Mason a lot, also. I've been thinking of this baby as My
> Son, and it sounds similar. Vincent and Lance are both names I kind of like
> and hubby likes. If I remember correctly, Vincent has a good meaning, also.
> And yes, Charles and Philip are great names, and I should use them as first
> names, but I won't be. My dad's name is Philip, and he made me promise not
> to use it. He hates it for some reason, but I think I can get away with
> using it as a middle name. My dad's middle name is Charles, but it's also
> my brother's name, so I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a first name.
>
> Thoughts please. :)
>

> --
> Joy
>
> Rose 1-99
> Iris 2-01
> Spencer 3-03
> # 4 Sept 2005

July 23rd 05, 10:06 AM
Mason Charles is a *bad* idea, IMO.

Too much really negative connotation, IMO.

July 23rd 05, 10:08 AM
Good lord I hate reading messages on Google. No kill file. Stupid news
server. :(

Jamie Clark
July 23rd 05, 06:13 PM
Joy,
I was thinking of you last night, and your name choices....Lance or
Vincent....what about Vance? I saw it written down somewhere....although it
might have the same "issues" that Lance does -- short and to the point, but
it's another option.

Vance Phillip
Vance Charles

Or what about Mason Vance? It might work better as a middle name...Charles
Vance, Philip Vance...

Anyway, just a thought!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Chatty, whose favorite sayings are
"What's going on in here" and "I've gotta get out of here!
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- Little Miss Into Everything, whose reach has
extended into the whole coffee table...nothing is safe!

Guest
Password

Vanessa
July 23rd 05, 11:17 PM
wrote:

> Lance
> is to sexual and he'll get laughed at in school.

"too"

Aren't you the sexist pig that claims to be so mentally superior as a
male?

Golly gee...

Vanessa
July 23rd 05, 11:20 PM
Joybelle wrote:

> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.

Vincent is a strong sounding name. Since it is two syllable, I think it
would work best with Charles as a singly syllable middle name.

Since I've chimed in here, I'd like to express that my prayers and
thoughts are with you, your family, and your little one.

Vanessa

July 24th 05, 04:22 PM
Joybelle wrote:
> Asher
> Mason
> Vincent
> Lance
>
> The middle name will be either Charles or Philip.
>
> My first son's name is Spencer. If you say Asher and Spencer, do they sound
> too similar?

As others have said, they do sound a bit similar. However, I adore the
name Asher, so I'd encourage you to use it anyway.

I'll also hopefully mention the name Lionel, because it is my absolute
favorite non-Hebrew boy name, and I will never get to use it. So I
just like to encourage others to use it, so I'll get to hear it more
often. <insert silly grin here>

A slight problem with Asher is pronunciation. Does the first syllable
rhyme with cash, or posh? I have friends locally who named their son
Asher and they say folks can pronounce it however they prefer!

> ... My dad's name is Philip, and he made me promise not
> to use it. He hates it for some reason, but I think I can get away with
> using it as a middle name. My dad's middle name is Charles, but it's also
> my brother's name, so I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a first name.

With that in mind I wouldn't use the name Philip, not as a middle name
or a first name. It sounds like a better way to tell Dad you love him
and want your son to be wonderful like him would be to use the name
Charles.

so, Asher Charles, Mason Charles, Vincent Charles or Lance Charles.
Hmmm ... i like the first two best. but i actually think Mason might
go best with the names you've given his sisters and brother.

> --
> Joy
>
> Rose 1-99
> Iris 2-01
> Spencer 3-03
> # 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 25th 05, 10:57 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Mason Charles is a *bad* idea, IMO.
>
> Too much really negative connotation, IMO.

My brother's last name is Monson. How's that? :) I don't worry too much
about it, I guess, because it doesn't seem to be that obvious of connotation
since it will be a middle name anyway. Thanks for your input, though!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 25th 05, 10:59 PM
"Vanessa" > wrote in message
. com...

> Vincent is a strong sounding name. Since it is two syllable, I think it
> would work best with Charles as a singly syllable middle name.

I agree Vincent is a strong sounding name. Definitely not to be confused
as a female name!

> Since I've chimed in here, I'd like to express that my prayers and
> thoughts are with you, your family, and your little one.

Thank you very much, Vanessa. Your thoughts and prayers are much
appreciated.

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 25th 05, 11:01 PM
"Leslie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm bucking the trend and going for Asher, because I like the botanical
> association to go along with the girls. And I personally think it
> sounds cute with Spencer.

It is so difficult! I really like the name! Another thing that's kind of
holding me back from using it is our last name starts with SH, so it does
sound a bit like a sneeze. I really love the meaning of Asher (happy), but
I'm just not sure it will work. Thanks for your input, Leslie. :)

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 25th 05, 11:03 PM
"Amy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Just to be a pain, I like Charles Philip. What does your brother go
> by? The baby could be Chuck or Chuckie, or Charlie...

My dad is Philip Charles. Isn't that a handsome combo?? I've always loved
it. My brother goes by Charles and Charlie, and in email he's Carl. :)

> My brother's name is Chuck, so I'm partial. :)

:)
--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 25th 05, 11:06 PM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I like Mason. Asher is also nice, but it is close to Spencer. I love
> your My Son -- Mason connection, it is sweet.

I do like that connection, also.

> Mason Philip sounds better to me than Mason Charles (maybe 'cause it
> makes me think of Charles Manson when I write it?)

My hubby thought of the Charles Manson thing, too. I don't worry about it
too much, I guess, because it will be the middle name. I do like Mason
Philip as much, though!

> Congrats on the boy, two of each is lovely.

Thank you. :)
--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

July 26th 05, 07:38 AM
Vanessa wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Lance
> > is to sexual and he'll get laughed at in school.
>
> "too"

Thank you.

> Aren't you the sexist pig

Although I do believe that men and women are different, I do not
consider one sex as inferior to another. For example, you are a walking
sperm receptacle. Your body is designed for a man to achive orgasm in
order to impregnate you. Then your body is designed to gestate for 9
months and deliver a child. And that's not all, after the baby is born,
your body produces substance to feed and nurture your offspring. Now do
I think that you, being a walking sperm receptacle, makes you more
superior than me? The answer is a firm "No".

>that claims to be so mentally superior as a
> male?

No Ma'am. I just claim to be mentally superior, regardless of my sex.

> Golly gee...

Indeed Ma. Iz be fixen mah language skills for ya'll right quick.

Regards...

Joybelle
July 27th 05, 12:10 AM
"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> Joy,
> I was thinking of you last night, and your name choices....Lance or
> Vincent....what about Vance? I saw it written down somewhere....although
it
> might have the same "issues" that Lance does -- short and to the point,
but
> it's another option.
>
> Vance Phillip
> Vance Charles

It's funny, I was watching Van Wilder the other night, and I actually
thought of Vance! How funny. :) I think, though, I prefer Lance over
Vance.

> Or what about Mason Vance? It might work better as a middle
name...Charles
> Vance, Philip Vance...

It is a cool middle name option!

> Anyway, just a thought!

Thanks!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 27th 05, 12:20 AM
"sharalyns" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> LOL! I have this thing about numbers of letters in names for our
> family. Course it didn't help that I had a dream about it. My husband
> has 5 letters in his first name and 8 in his middle. I have 8 for my
> first, and 5 for my middle. Alexander is 9 and 5, and in my dream we
> had 6 kids--all the boys had 9 and 5, girls had 5 and 9. So then I
> looked up all the names, and of course the only other names that we
> *like* that fit into it have either already been used(for a boy we used
> with our miscarriage) or I don't like the spelling to make it the
> correct number! ;-) Although a girl name that I like fits perfectly,
> although my husband doesn't like it. I think I'm gonna have to throw
> out the whole number thing. ;-)

Isn't that the pits! My first two have four letters, and I thought of
keeping up that theme. I decided against that, but I still get hung up on
the things like the R and S. I've also thought of the fact that my first
has a one syllable name, and my other two have two-syllable names. Perhaps
#4 could have a one-syllable name like my first. Or two of my kids start
with consonants and the other with a vowel. Perhaps I could even out the
names with another vowel name (and Asher would work for that!). LOL And I
can't use the same letter for first names either.

> Plus--Cuba Gooding Jr. doesn't have a Rose and an Iris. :-) Oh--and
> Spencer and Mason both have an "n" and an "s", and all four would have
> an "s". ;-)

True!! I have to wonder what they'll name their third if it's a girl,
though. :)

> Do you ever call Spencer "Spence"? Cause you could end up with "Spence
> and Vince"....depending on which relative decides to be obnoxious or
> what they have their friends call them later on. ;-) That said, the
> oldest guy with Cystic Fibrosis that I know is Vincent. He is in his
> early 40's now and doing very well most of the time, and has really
> severe CF that they totally thought he would live past age 10. That's
> really the only person I know named Vincent.

I do call him Spence, and I have thought Spence and Vince would be kind of
cool names. Similar yet different.

That's amazing that the Vincent with CF you know is in his 40's!! My mom
has a cousin whose daughters were both born with CF. The second daughter
died at 9 when my oldest was born, and the older daughter died at 18 a
couple of years ago. :(

> You'll know when you see him in person. :-) Oh--have you done the
> initial thing yet? You know like AC_, AP_, MC_, MP_, VC_, VP_, LC_, and
> LP_? (I don't know your last name, so can't help you there).

Funny, that you mentioned the intitials thing. I had done it the night
before your post...lol Our last initial is S, so I steer away from names
that would make ASS. I did think it would be funny to give Spencer the
middle name of Orvin, though, but we didn't. Orvin is my hubby's
grandfather.

Thanks for your help, Sharalyn!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Joybelle
July 27th 05, 12:24 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> As others have said, they do sound a bit similar. However, I adore the
> name Asher, so I'd encourage you to use it anyway.

I really like the name, too. :)

> I'll also hopefully mention the name Lionel, because it is my absolute
> favorite non-Hebrew boy name, and I will never get to use it. So I
> just like to encourage others to use it, so I'll get to hear it more
> often. <insert silly grin here>

I probably won't use Lionel, but thanks for the suggestion!

> A slight problem with Asher is pronunciation. Does the first syllable
> rhyme with cash, or posh? I have friends locally who named their son
> Asher and they say folks can pronounce it however they prefer!

I would probably pronounce it Asher as in cash because I think most people
around here would pronounce it that way.

> > ... My dad's name is Philip, and he made me promise not
> > to use it. He hates it for some reason, but I think I can get away with
> > using it as a middle name. My dad's middle name is Charles, but it's
also
> > my brother's name, so I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a first name.
>
> With that in mind I wouldn't use the name Philip, not as a middle name
> or a first name. It sounds like a better way to tell Dad you love him
> and want your son to be wonderful like him would be to use the name
> Charles.

I will have to talk to him tonight and see if he still has a strong opinion
about it not being used. He might have been being surly at the previous
time. :)

> so, Asher Charles, Mason Charles, Vincent Charles or Lance Charles.
> Hmmm ... i like the first two best. but i actually think Mason might
> go best with the names you've given his sisters and brother.

Thanks for your input!! You had some great suggestions.

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

sharalyns
July 27th 05, 05:01 PM
Joybelle wrote:

> Isn't that the pits! My first two have four letters, and I thought of
> keeping up that theme. I decided against that, but I still get hung up on
> the things like the R and S. I've also thought of the fact that my first
> has a one syllable name, and my other two have two-syllable names. Perhaps
> #4 could have a one-syllable name like my first. Or two of my kids start
> with consonants and the other with a vowel. Perhaps I could even out the
> names with another vowel name (and Asher would work for that!). LOL And I
> can't use the same letter for first names either.

Yep--I grew up in a family of all "S" names (including pets), and I
*refuse* to do that. Main problem is that the two firl names that I
love right now both start with "A"! *sigh* Course, things will probably
totally change before we have another one, but right now I'm hung up on
those "A" names. Doesn't help that my husband and I can't agree on girl
names at all. Boy names are easy--we have three more of those picked
out. ;-)

> > Plus--Cuba Gooding Jr. doesn't have a Rose and an Iris. :-) Oh--and
> > Spencer and Mason both have an "n" and an "s", and all four would have
> > an "s". ;-)
>
> True!! I have to wonder what they'll name their third if it's a girl,
> though. :)

True. :-)

> That's amazing that the Vincent with CF you know is in his 40's!! My mom
> has a cousin whose daughters were both born with CF. The second daughter
> died at 9 when my oldest was born, and the older daughter died at 18 a
> couple of years ago. :(

Yep--of that generation of CFers in this area, he's beat everyone else
by over 15 years now. And he was considered the worst case of all of
them.

> Funny, that you mentioned the intitials thing. I had done it the night
> before your post...lol Our last initial is S, so I steer away from names
> that would make ASS. I did think it would be funny to give Spencer the
> middle name of Orvin, though, but we didn't. Orvin is my hubby's
> grandfather.

Oh yeah--our last name starts with "S" also (actually "Sha"--which is
why I go by Sharalyn instead of my nickname Shari once I got
married--too singsong). So we have to be careful about alliteration
(While Charlotte Sha-- doesn't look bad, saying it makes me cringe.
*sigh* and I love that name) and initials spelling stuff out. We loved
the idea of a Patrick Matthew S---, then decided that was too mean. ;-)
One of my favorites was Isabella Rose S---. Yeah, not gonna happen. ;-)

> Thanks for your help, Sharalyn!

You're welcome--I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one out there
totally obsessed with names! ;-)