PDA

View Full Version : Cot Bed Mattress Choice

July 22nd 05, 10:23 AM
Hi,

I and DW bought a cot bed yesterday. Where we bought it there was a choice
of several mattresses.

1. White PVC cover, formulated to be hygienic, soft and easy to clean.
Unique foam core resistant to permanent 'denting'. No added phosphorous,
antimony or arsenic.Conforms to BS: 1877 & 7177. At £34.99

2. Unique wipe clean Vaperm cover on one side draws moisture away from the
babys body and protects against dust mites, which can cause eczema and
asthma. Durable and comfortable specially designed foam with no added
phospherous, antimony or arsenic and an insulator for extra comfort. The
spring core aids restful sleep and promotes airflow through the mattress.
Cotton cover on the reverse side aids airflow, reducing moisture build up
and prolonging the life of the mattress. At £54.99.

3. The safe n sound mattress has an excellent airflow system, provided by a
three layer construction. The top layer is made from a spacer fabric to
optimise airflow even under compression, below this is a lofted interlayer,
for comfort and maximum airflow, these two layers are in turn backed by an
active backing fabric which gives superb moisture absorption by absorbing
and retaining moisture, drawing it away from your baby and so keeping baby
comfortable and dry.All fabric components of the Safe n Sound mattresses are
non-allergic with a soft and textured quilted design offering a more
luxurious feel to the sleeping surface and providing the utmost comfort for
your baby. The top cover is easy to remove and replace by using four simple
Velcro flaps-this can be carried out while the mattress is still in the Cot.
The Safe n Sound mattress cover can be washed at 40 degree C and tumbled
dried-ideal for busy parents. No added phosphorous, antimony or arsenic.
Conforms to BS:1877. At £69.99.

and

4. Combines the benefits of Breathex with a spring interior. The most
advanced mattress system providing 3 different surfaces to select for your
baby:

a.. The removable Breathex airflow top cover helps prevent overheating. It
can be removed and washed at 60 degrees and also tumble dried to protect
against allergies.
b.. Underneath is the smooth Permex Plus layer - an advanced
hypoallergenic non-pvc fabric which is waterproof but allows air and vapour
through keeping your baby cool and dry
c.. The reverse side is a natural cotton fabric most suitable in the
summer months when your baby is older.
The core of the mattress is an orthopedic double cone spring interior
ensuring excellent spinal support and comfort

Which mattress would be the most sensible buy ?

Thanks again.

Baby is coming in 7 weeks, and 3 days :)

July 22nd 05, 01:42 PM
It totally depends...if it were me, I'd go for a midpriced one.

My father bought me a lovely crib and expensive mattress when I was 6
months pregnant with my first child. And by the time we had three
children, the crib remained in pristine condition, having almost never
been used, at which point, it was donated to the women's shelter. We
probably should have just borrowed a moses basket or bassinette until
we figured out things would go the first few months, rather spend all
that money on a crib.

What happened was that because I was breastfeeding and baby #1 was a
very frequent nurser (and slow at it), the only way for me to survive
the exhaustion was to learn to nurse lying down and co-sleep, and that
was the pattern I stayed with for all three babies. I certainly never
INTENDED to co-sleep, but it was what evolved as we tried to figure out
what worked for our family.

Turns out I didn't need a baby cot at all, mattress or no mattress. I
didn't even end up using it for naps much.

Mary G.

Stormlady
July 22nd 05, 01:54 PM
Wow, you've really read a bit about these mattresses. I went to Wal-mart
and said I want the one that goes in the crib and the toddler bed (most are
only good for crib and you have to buy a new one for the toddler bed because
they are not supportive enough I guess) and my younger brother bought it for
me. Rhiannon only naps in her crib anyway and spends the night in the bed
with us. It was the best mattress that Wal-mart sold though. The same
mattress at Sears was about $40 more at $100 so I just got it at Wal-mart.
It may have been a different brand at Sears, but I don't think so. I have
no idea about it's breathability or dust mite reducing abilities or anything
like that. I just know that it's good for both infants and toddlers and has
a 20 year warranty. I actually found the warranty pretty funny when you
consider that the child will sleep on it for maybe 5 years max if they are
in the toddler bed that long.

If I hadn't wanted the mattress for the toddler bed as well, I'd have
probably gotten the middle of the road mattress.

"z" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
> baby:
>

> a.. The removable Breathex airflow top cover helps prevent overheating.
It
> can be removed and washed at 60 degrees and also tumble dried to protect
> against allergies.
> b.. Underneath is the smooth Permex Plus layer - an advanced
> hypoallergenic non-pvc fabric which is waterproof but allows air and
vapour
> through keeping your baby cool and dry
> c.. The reverse side is a natural cotton fabric most suitable in the
> summer months when your baby is older.
> The core of the mattress is an orthopedic double cone spring interior
> ensuring excellent spinal support and comfort
>
> Which mattress would be the most sensible buy ?
>
> Thanks again.

> Baby is coming in 7 weeks, and 3 days :)

Sue
July 22nd 05, 02:22 PM
You have researched mattresses more than I did. I went to a local baby store
and bought the middle of the road in pricing mattress and it lasted with all
three kids. I would make sure that it is a hard mattress and not one that
had soft pillows sewn in and make sure that it is not a cheapy one.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"z" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
> baby:
>

> a.. The removable Breathex airflow top cover helps prevent overheating.
It
> can be removed and washed at 60 degrees and also tumble dried to protect
> against allergies.
> b.. Underneath is the smooth Permex Plus layer - an advanced
> hypoallergenic non-pvc fabric which is waterproof but allows air and
vapour
> through keeping your baby cool and dry
> c.. The reverse side is a natural cotton fabric most suitable in the
> summer months when your baby is older.
> The core of the mattress is an orthopedic double cone spring interior
> ensuring excellent spinal support and comfort
>
> Which mattress would be the most sensible buy ?
>
> Thanks again.

> Baby is coming in 7 weeks, and 3 days :)

Jamie Clark
July 22nd 05, 06:00 PM
We bought the cheapest one possible. The kid is only going to be in it for
a year or two, three tops, and will range in weight from 6 lbs to 30lbs. I
didn't think it needed to be over-engineered, and therefore cost an arm and
a leg.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"z" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
> baby:
>

> a.. The removable Breathex airflow top cover helps prevent overheating.
> It
> can be removed and washed at 60 degrees and also tumble dried to protect
> against allergies.
> b.. Underneath is the smooth Permex Plus layer - an advanced
> hypoallergenic non-pvc fabric which is waterproof but allows air and
> vapour
> through keeping your baby cool and dry
> c.. The reverse side is a natural cotton fabric most suitable in the
> summer months when your baby is older.
> The core of the mattress is an orthopedic double cone spring interior
> ensuring excellent spinal support and comfort
>
> Which mattress would be the most sensible buy ?
>
> Thanks again.

> Baby is coming in 7 weeks, and 3 days :)

July 22nd 05, 06:01 PM
Our "el cheapo" mattress has worked fine in the toddler bed, no sagging or
support issues at all.
--

"Stormlady" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> your
>> baby:
>>

>> a.. The removable Breathex airflow top cover helps prevent overheating.
> It
>> can be removed and washed at 60 degrees and also tumble dried to protect
>> against allergies.
>> b.. Underneath is the smooth Permex Plus layer - an advanced
>> hypoallergenic non-pvc fabric which is waterproof but allows air and
> vapour
>> through keeping your baby cool and dry
>> c.. The reverse side is a natural cotton fabric most suitable in the
>> summer months when your baby is older.
>> The core of the mattress is an orthopedic double cone spring interior
>> ensuring excellent spinal support and comfort
>>
>> Which mattress would be the most sensible buy ?
>>
>> Thanks again.

>> Baby is coming in 7 weeks, and 3 days :)

Rebecca Jo
July 22nd 05, 08:22 PM
"Stormlady" > wrote:

> Wow, you've really read a bit about these mattresses. I went to Wal-mart
> and said I want the one that goes in the crib and the toddler bed (most
> are
> only good for crib and you have to buy a new one for the toddler bed
> because
> they are not supportive enough I guess) and my younger brother bought it
> for
> me. Rhiannon only naps in her crib anyway and spends the night in the bed
> with us. It was the best mattress that Wal-mart sold though. The same
> mattress at Sears was about $40 more at $100 so I just got it at Wal-mart.
> It may have been a different brand at Sears, but I don't think so. I have
> no idea about it's breathability or dust mite reducing abilities or
> anything
> like that. I just know that it's good for both infants and toddlers and
> has
> a 20 year warranty. I actually found the warranty pretty funny when you
> consider that the child will sleep on it for maybe 5 years max if they are
> in the toddler bed that long.

Just wanted to point out that the 20 year warranty would be useful if you
were planning on having a bunch of kids or if you wanted to pass it on to
your children.

rj

Sidheag McCormack
July 22nd 05, 08:41 PM
Rebecca Jo writes:

> Just wanted to point out that the 20 year warranty would be useful if
> you were planning on having a bunch of kids or if you wanted to pass it
> on to your children.

Except that "a new mattress for every baby" seems to be mainstream advice
now.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

V.
July 22nd 05, 08:48 PM
Sounds like you've done a lot of research! My plan is to buy a mid-priced,
firm mattress that fits the crib well. Since I've read that the risk of
SIDS is higher with used mattresses (Mitchell, P.R. 2001. Analysis of
Official UK Statistics for Cot Deaths and Infant Deaths by Other Causes,
1996-1999. and Tappin et al, Used infant mattresses and sudden infant death
syndrome in Scotland: case-control study, British Medical Journal 2002;
325:1007), I plan to buy a new mattress even though we were given a crib. I
don't really think this is a huge issue, and for me it's a "might as well"
kind of decision, not a "everyone should do this" thing.

I may or may not do the polyethylene wrapping. See
http://www.preventcribdeath.com/site/452285/page/45029
Keep in mind they are trying to sell the covers. I suppose the obvious,
immediate benefit to mattress wrapping is that if you decide to get a
mattress that doesn't have an easily cleaned surface, the polyethylene will
protect it.

Just some more stuff to think about! :)
Amy

KC
July 22nd 05, 10:33 PM
Years ago when I was pg with my 5.5 year old I bought a mid priced one.
I would advise to wait on crib or crib mattress buying as most people
use a cradle, bassinet or moses basket at first, and you could be like
us with our 2nd baby and find that the baby just cannot tolerate being
away from mama at all. There was no way to sleep in our house if the
baby didn't sleep with me, and I don't fit in a crib :-)

KC

Chookie
July 26th 05, 01:30 AM
In article >, "z" >
wrote:

> I and DW bought a cot bed yesterday. Where we bought it there was a choice
> of several mattresses.

<snip ad-speak>

> Which mattress would be the most sensible buy ?

In order:

1. Whichever fits best.
2. Whichever is most easily cleaned (or get a very good all-over mattress
protector).
3. Whichever is cheapest.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Chookie
July 26th 05, 01:34 AM
In article >, "V." > wrote:

> I may or may not do the polyethylene wrapping. See
> http://www.preventcribdeath.com/site/452285/page/45029
> Keep in mind they are trying to sell the covers.

Check what your local SIDS people have to say before you do. Bear in mind
that a "very large number" of Kiwi babies is *not* a very large number as NZ
has a total population of less than 5 million people.

It concerns me that this site mentions none of the strategies that REALLY
prevent SIDS.