PDA

View Full Version : TummyTub are they worth to buy?

July 22nd 05, 10:26 AM
dw saw a TummyTub in a baby stuff shop and hs since been very interested in
buying one, after looking at the website she got even more excited. The
midwife the antenatal class last night has never heard of them.

Has anyone bought one and what has been your experiences with it?

www tummytub co.uk

Thanks again,

Dagny
July 22nd 05, 10:29 AM
"z" > wrote in message
.. .
> dw saw a TummyTub in a baby stuff shop and hs since been very interested
> in
> buying one, after looking at the website she got even more excited. The
> midwife the antenatal class last night has never heard of them.
>
> Has anyone bought one and what has been your experiences with it?
>
> www tummytub co.uk
>
> Thanks again,

I'm sure it's fine, but I always take my babies into the regular bathtub
with me.

Sidheag McCormack
July 22nd 05, 10:46 AM
We had one like this, though not this brand. Loved it. Used it to more than
6 months - ours said up to 12, though I later saw the same brand advertised
as up to 6 so maybe they'd had complaints about babies not fitting that
long. We did give it up before 12mo and had to be careful about it not
tipping before then! DS loved it, especially once he learned to pull up in
it/climb out of it :-) Also I think it's a useful shape to have around
after the relatively short time you use a baby bath is over. Ours is
currently being used to store bath toys. Definitely easier for the parent
than a conventionally shaped baby bath, too, in my limited experience (used
a conventional one while away one week).

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Sidheag McCormack
July 22nd 05, 10:50 AM
Dagny writes:

> I'm sure it's fine, but I always take my babies into the regular bathtub
> with me.

I should have said, we did that a lot too, and I recommend it, but I liked
having an alternative so that I didn't have to have a bath with DS *every*
night! (He loved baths enough, until recently, that it seemed hard to
deprive him of a bath just because I didn't feel like it.)

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

oregonchick
July 22nd 05, 02:13 PM
"z" > wrote in message
.. .
> dw saw a TummyTub in a baby stuff shop and hs since been very interested
> in
> buying one, after looking at the website she got even more excited. The
> midwife the antenatal class last night has never heard of them.
>
> Has anyone bought one and what has been your experiences with it?
>
> www tummytub co.uk
>
> Thanks again,

Never seen one before, but I checked out the website. It seems like it
would be difficult to wash all the baby parts - I mean, how do you get to
the backside of the baby without making it do contortions in the tub? When
I bathed my daughter, I found it pretty simple just to put a couple inches
in the bathtub, and lay her in it.

Sue
July 22nd 05, 02:20 PM
"z" > wrote in message
.. .
> dw saw a TummyTub in a baby stuff shop and hs since been very interested
>in buying one, after looking at the website she got even more excited. The
> midwife the antenatal class last night has never heard of them.
> Has anyone bought one and what has been your experiences with it?

No, I can't imagine that would be very convenient or comfortable. I used a
sponge thing that was made for putting on the bottom of the bath and bathed
the kids in the sink in the kitchen. When they were able to sit up, I moved
to the bathtub. When pregnant, I would get in with them or when I was hugely
pregnant, I would bath them standing in the laundry tub. I didn't think it
was much fun to bath with a newborn either, so this is what I did. :o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Sidheag McCormack
July 22nd 05, 03:09 PM
oregonchick writes:

> Never seen one before, but I checked out the website. It seems like it
> would be difficult to wash all the baby parts - I mean, how do you get
> to the backside of the baby without making it do contortions in the tub?

Not at all - the baby more or less floats, so you just put your arm down
the back of the baby. In fact what I found difficult was washing a baby in
a conventional tub, where I needed at least one hand to support the baby
while I washed - in this one, after he was tiny he'd support himself
leaving both of my hands free. In any case, we didn't feel very much
washing was called for until DS started crawling around outside :-)

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Amy
July 22nd 05, 03:31 PM
z wrote:
> dw saw a TummyTub in a baby stuff shop and hs since been very interested in
> buying one, after looking at the website she got even more excited. The
> midwife the antenatal class last night has never heard of them.
>
> Has anyone bought one and what has been your experiences with it?
>
> www tummytub co.uk

Awwwww... Cute! Potted babies! Too bad they don't make a terracotta
tub!

I guess it depends on how much it costs... It might be nice, or it
might be a complete waste of money. I mean, if it's $100, no way, but
if it's $10 it may be worth a try.

Ok, Google rocks because it'll translate pounds into dollars - it's
$40. That's pretty steep for a bucket, IMHO. You might look for a
regular bucket that doesn't have any sharp edges.

Amy

Jamie Clark
July 22nd 05, 06:03 PM
It seems pretty silly to me, and sort of precarious. Baby could slump under
water, or the tub could be knocked over. I think the kitchen sink works
fine for a good amount of time, and various styles of portable baby baths
work well too.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"z" > wrote in message
.. .
> dw saw a TummyTub in a baby stuff shop and hs since been very interested
> in
> buying one, after looking at the website she got even more excited. The
> midwife the antenatal class last night has never heard of them.
>
> Has anyone bought one and what has been your experiences with it?
>
> www tummytub co.uk
>
> Thanks again,

Jo
July 23rd 05, 02:50 AM
z wrote:
> dw saw a TummyTub in a baby stuff shop and hs since been very interested in
> buying one, after looking at the website she got even more excited. The
> midwife the antenatal class last night has never heard of them.
>
> Has anyone bought one and what has been your experiences with it?
>
> www tummytub co.uk
>
> Thanks again,

Looks pretty cool, but why not just buy a normal bucket? I'm sure this
is much more expensive than a bucket you could buy from a hardware store
for 85 cents.

I use a normal baby bath in the bottom of the shower and kneel to bath
Will. It's easy to fill (shower head) and just tip it straight out when
I need to, rather than trying to carry/lift it. I like a FULL bath when
I bath him, to keep him warmer. Nothing worse than a wet baby half out
of the water - BRrrrrrr. Other times he has a shower with his Dad, or
we/I bath with him in the big bath.

I'd just get a bucket and if you like the idea, buy the tummytub if you
still feel you need to - depending on how you feel about the cost of it.

Jo

July 23rd 05, 04:42 PM
Sidheag,
Did you buy something similar in the states? If so could you tell me
the other brand name?
I looked at the site and it seems like a good idea. I just don't know
if I want to pay $40 USD.

thanks

oregonchick
July 23rd 05, 09:05 PM
"z" > wrote in message
.. .
> dw saw a TummyTub in a baby stuff shop and hs since been very interested
> in
> buying one, after looking at the website she got even more excited. The
> midwife the antenatal class last night has never heard of them.
>
> Has anyone bought one and what has been your experiences with it?
>
> www tummytub co.uk
>
> Thanks again,

Ok, here's a dumb question... I have a really nice mop bucket that looks
about as deep as this tummy tub, and it has an oval shaped top that is
smoothly contoured. I got it for about $5. Wouldn't that work just as
well? I mean, I would go out and buy a new bucket, but would anyone be
horrified to someone bathing their baby in a bucket?

Sidheag McCormack
July 23rd 05, 09:13 PM
lwilliams writes:

> Sidheag, Did you buy something similar in the states? If so could you
> tell me the other brand name? I looked at the site and it seems like a
> good idea. I just don't know if I want to pay $40 USD.

No, I'm in the UK, sorry.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Sidheag McCormack
July 23rd 05, 09:29 PM
Oregonchick writes:

> Ok, here's a dumb question... I have a really nice mop bucket that looks
> about as deep as this tummy tub, and it has an oval shaped top that is
> smoothly contoured. I got it for about $5. Wouldn't that work just as
> well? I mean, I would go out and buy a new bucket, but would anyone be
> horrified to someone bathing their baby in a bucket?

No - sounds well worth a try! Our buckets have awkward placing of handles
for use as a baby bath, I felt, and in any case are much smaller than the
baby bath. (I think with an older baby, any bucket with a non-removable
handle might be a nuisance - but you could always worry about that if and
when it happened.) I do agree the bucket-style baby baths seem expensive
for what they are, but I found ours useful enough that I'm not, in the end,
too bothered.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Nan
July 23rd 05, 09:30 PM
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:05:02 -0700, "oregonchick"
> wrote:

>Ok, here's a dumb question... I have a really nice mop bucket that looks
>about as deep as this tummy tub, and it has an oval shaped top that is
>smoothly contoured. I got it for about $5. Wouldn't that work just as
>well? I mean, I would go out and buy a new bucket, but would anyone be
>horrified to someone bathing their baby in a bucket?

Well, I don't think I'd spend the money on this product, but the
difference I can see between it and a regular bucket is that this one
is wider at the top and more narrow at the base than most buckets I've
seen.
My mop buckets are a bit contoured, but not nearly as much as this.

Nan

Sue
July 24th 05, 03:03 PM
"oregonchick" > wrote in message
> Ok, here's a dumb question... I have a really nice mop bucket that looks
> about as deep as this tummy tub, and it has an oval shaped top that is
> smoothly contoured. I got it for about $5. Wouldn't that work just as
> well? I mean, I would go out and buy a new bucket, but would anyone be
> horrified to someone bathing their baby in a bucket?

I'm sorry, I cannot even imagine bathing a baby in a bucket. I think it
would be more comfortable for the child to be able to move and kick their
legs in the water and stretch out. And for the life of me, I cannot see how
you would wash all of their parts of the body.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Ericka Kammerer
July 24th 05, 03:43 PM
Sue wrote:

> "oregonchick" > wrote in message
>
>>Ok, here's a dumb question... I have a really nice mop bucket that looks
>>about as deep as this tummy tub, and it has an oval shaped top that is
>>smoothly contoured. I got it for about $5. Wouldn't that work just as
>>well? I mean, I would go out and buy a new bucket, but would anyone be
>>horrified to someone bathing their baby in a bucket?
>

> I'm sorry, I cannot even imagine bathing a baby in a bucket. I think it
> would be more comfortable for the child to be able to move and kick their
> legs in the water and stretch out. And for the life of me, I cannot see how
> you would wash all of their parts of the body.

You would be surprised. They actually work quite well,
and little babies tend to love them. The trick is to get the
size/proportions right. They're not common in the US, so I
only know a few folks IRL who have used them, but were all
thrilled with them.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Don and Lucille
July 24th 05, 06:56 PM
Hey we were a family of seven kids and when we were at the cabin we would be
washed in the kitchen sink.**GASP**
"Sue" > wrote in message
> "oregonchick" > wrote in message
>> Ok, here's a dumb question... I have a really nice mop bucket that looks
>> about as deep as this tummy tub, and it has an oval shaped top that is
>> smoothly contoured. I got it for about $5. Wouldn't that work just as
>> well? I mean, I would go out and buy a new bucket, but would anyone be
>> horrified to someone bathing their baby in a bucket?
>
> I'm sorry, I cannot even imagine bathing a baby in a bucket. I think it
> would be more comfortable for the child to be able to move and kick their
> legs in the water and stretch out. And for the life of me, I cannot see
> how
> you would wash all of their parts of the body.
> --
> Sue (mom to three girls)

Sue
July 24th 05, 10:40 PM
"Don and Lucille" > wrote in message
> Hey we were a family of seven kids and when we were at the cabin we >would
be washed in the kitchen sink.**GASP**

That's how I bathed my kids, but not just on vacation. I did it on a regular
basis. GASP!!! ;o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Nan
July 25th 05, 03:35 AM
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:40:41 -0400, "Sue"
> wrote:

>"Don and Lucille" > wrote in message
>> Hey we were a family of seven kids and when we were at the cabin we >would
>be washed in the kitchen sink.**GASP**
>
>That's how I bathed my kids, but not just on vacation. I did it on a regular
>basis. GASP!!! ;o)

My kitchen sink has been used for all 3, until they were too big to
fit inside it. I miss being able to stand up straight at the counter
and save my back ;-)

Nan

Cuddlefish
July 25th 05, 05:11 AM
"Nan" > wrote in message
> My kitchen sink has been used for all 3, until they were too big to
> fit inside it. I miss being able to stand up straight at the counter
> and save my back ;-)

It is how I am planning on bathing my little one, the previous protestations
of a member of this group notwithstanding. :-)

--
Jacqueline
#1 Due late Jul/early Aug

Amy
July 25th 05, 06:35 PM
Cuddlefish wrote:
> "Nan" > wrote in message
> > My kitchen sink has been used for all 3, until they were too big to
> > fit inside it. I miss being able to stand up straight at the counter
> > and save my back ;-)
>
> It is how I am planning on bathing my little one, the previous protestations
> of a member of this group notwithstanding. :-)

You wouldn't want to bathe your baby in MY sink, either. Trust me.
I'm sure yours will be perfectly fine. If you could see my sink, you'd
understand why I'm not bathing my baby in there - not unless I can get
my husband to replace it (and all the plumbing leading to and from) in
the 3 weeks or so before the baby's born... :)

As a follow up to that thread, I should let you all know that I took
what you said about backache into consideration, and I found a tub that
will sit OVER the sink - so baby can have her butt off of the
Comet-coated-raw-chicken-exposed sink surface, but I can still stand
upright. It even has a plug at the bottom, so I can rinse the water
away easily when I'm done (rather than having to flip the tub over and
running the risk of getting it all over the kitchen floor.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I3CF12E7B (link to the page at target.com)

$17 for peace of mind and a non-sore back, not bad IMHO. And no Comet
Chicken Butt. Priceless. :)

Amy

Sue
July 25th 05, 07:49 PM
"Amy" > wrote in message
> As a follow up to that thread, I should let you all know that I took
> what you said about backache into consideration, and I found a tub that
> will sit OVER the sink - so baby can have her butt off of the
> Comet-coated-raw-chicken-exposed sink surface, but I can still stand
> upright. It even has a plug at the bottom, so I can rinse the water
> away easily when I'm done (rather than having to flip the tub over and
> running the risk of getting it all over the kitchen floor.
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?I3CF12E7B (link to the page at target.com)
>
> $17 for peace of mind and a non-sore back, not bad IMHO. And no >Comet
Chicken Butt. Priceless. :)

That is a great compromise Amy. My thing with baby tubs is that you cannot
drain it to rinse baby off. Since it drains *and* you don't have to wreck
your back sounds wonderful to me.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Jamie Clark
July 25th 05, 11:10 PM
Amy,
We have *almost* that exact baby bath, except ours is folding, so you can
fold it in thirds and tuck it in a cabinet or closet, and it takes up less
space.
http://www.epinions.com/Safety_1st_Fold_up_Bath_Tub_164_Bathtubs_Bath_Seat s/display_~reviews

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Chatty, whose favorite sayings are
"What's going on in here" and "I've gotta get out of here!
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- Little Miss Into Everything, whose reach has
extended into the whole coffee table...nothing is safe!

Guest
Password

oups.com...