PDA

View Full Version : Summer Heat

Nina
July 19th 03, 07:32 AM
Ugh. I hate to complain, but it is MISERABLE here! Since we have cool
weather 9 months of the year here, no one seems to have air conditioning.
Not only that, but the windows in these houses tend to open sideways,making
the installation of a window unit difficult PLUS the houses have open floor
plans, meaning you cant just cool a few rooms, you have to cool the entire
house. Of course my bedroom is south facing with a large glass sliding
door,I feel like a bug under a magnifying glass. The only way to put an AC
in there would be to board up the door somehow, and I am seriously
considering it!
Today it was 90+ degrees IN the house. I was sleeping and the heat awakened
me. Such misery. Usually I can sleep thru the worst of it,but not today. I
go to the Y 5 days a week and we spend a few hours in the pool,but I dont
haev the energy to go daily.
The irony is, that it gets to 50 degrees at night. I mean, its COLD now. I
need to find a way to trap the cold air in here and make it last! I have
fans on trying to get the cool air to replace the hot air in here.
Meanwhile, its hot and I am MISERABLE. Theh ouse hasnt been clean in weeks.
It isnt BAD but its not good because I cant function in a 90 degree house
and by the time it gets cool, Im sleepy again. I know I sound whiny, but I
cant even begin to explain how miserable and uncomfortable I am!!
*sigh* THis too shall pass.
Nina

--
A bride in June, a slave in September.

Valerie Rake
July 19th 03, 04:39 PM
Oh, you have my sympathy, Nina. We have AC, but for some reason I've
never understood after 13 years of living with him, DH would rather
sweat than turn it on. Drives me insane. It is the only thing we
consistently disagree on. I will close all the windows and turn it on,
feel uncomfortable, and come to find out he's turned it off again. Grrrrr.

We've only had a few miserably hot days so far this summer, so I'm
feeling pretty lucky. Sending you cool breeze vibes....

{{{{{{coooool breeze}}}}}}}}
{{{{{{coooool breeze}}}}}}}}
{{{{{{coooool breeze}}}}}}}}
{{{{{{coooool breeze}}}}}}}}

Valerie

Nina wrote:

>Ugh. I hate to complain, but it is MISERABLE here! Since we have cool
>weather 9 months of the year here, no one seems to have air conditioning.
>Not only that, but the windows in these houses tend to open sideways,making
>the installation of a window unit difficult PLUS the houses have open floor
>plans, meaning you cant just cool a few rooms, you have to cool the entire
>house. Of course my bedroom is south facing with a large glass sliding
>door,I feel like a bug under a magnifying glass. The only way to put an AC
>in there would be to board up the door somehow, and I am seriously
>considering it!
>Today it was 90+ degrees IN the house. I was sleeping and the heat awakened
>me. Such misery. Usually I can sleep thru the worst of it,but not today. I
>go to the Y 5 days a week and we spend a few hours in the pool,but I dont
>haev the energy to go daily.
>The irony is, that it gets to 50 degrees at night. I mean, its COLD now. I
>need to find a way to trap the cold air in here and make it last! I have
>fans on trying to get the cool air to replace the hot air in here.
>Meanwhile, its hot and I am MISERABLE. Theh ouse hasnt been clean in weeks.
>It isnt BAD but its not good because I cant function in a 90 degree house
>and by the time it gets cool, Im sleepy again. I know I sound whiny, but I
>cant even begin to explain how miserable and uncomfortable I am!!
>*sigh* THis too shall pass.
>Nina
>
>--
>A bride in June, a slave in September.

Nina
July 19th 03, 06:11 PM
They are working (the vibes, that is), a mere 84 today and w/storms coming
thru it should get down to a high of 78 next week. I may go outside naked
and do a rain dance!
Nina :)

"Valerie Rake" > wrote in message
> Oh, you have my sympathy, Nina. We have AC, but for some reason I've
> never understood after 13 years of living with him, DH would rather
> sweat than turn it on. Drives me insane. It is the only thing we
> consistently disagree on. I will close all the windows and turn it on,
> feel uncomfortable, and come to find out he's turned it off again.
Grrrrr.

> We've only had a few miserably hot days so far this summer, so I'm
> feeling pretty lucky. Sending you cool breeze vibes....
>
> {{{{{{coooool breeze}}}}}}}}
> {{{{{{coooool breeze}}}}}}}}
> {{{{{{coooool breeze}}}}}}}}
> {{{{{{coooool breeze}}}}}}}}
>
> Valerie
>
> Nina wrote:
>
> >Ugh. I hate to complain, but it is MISERABLE here! Since we have cool
> >weather 9 months of the year here, no one seems to have air conditioning.
> >Not only that, but the windows in these houses tend to open
sideways,making
> >the installation of a window unit difficult PLUS the houses have open
floor
> >plans, meaning you cant just cool a few rooms, you have to cool the
entire
> >house. Of course my bedroom is south facing with a large glass sliding
> >door,I feel like a bug under a magnifying glass. The only way to put an
AC
> >in there would be to board up the door somehow, and I am seriously
> >considering it!
> >Today it was 90+ degrees IN the house. I was sleeping and the heat
awakened
> >me. Such misery. Usually I can sleep thru the worst of it,but not today.
> >go to the Y 5 days a week and we spend a few hours in the pool,but I dont
> >haev the energy to go daily.
> >The irony is, that it gets to 50 degrees at night. I mean, its COLD now.
> >need to find a way to trap the cold air in here and make it last! I have
> >fans on trying to get the cool air to replace the hot air in here.
> >Meanwhile, its hot and I am MISERABLE. Theh ouse hasnt been clean in
weeks.
> >It isnt BAD but its not good because I cant function in a 90 degree house
> >and by the time it gets cool, Im sleepy again. I know I sound whiny, but
> >cant even begin to explain how miserable and uncomfortable I am!!
> >*sigh* THis too shall pass.
> >Nina
> >
> >--
> >A bride in June, a slave in September.

July 20th 03, 02:42 AM
another thing I find that helps for most of the morning, sometimes into
afternoon, is to keep all the windows open all night, then, first thing in
the am, I go around and close all of them along with blinds/curtains.
lately this worked until around 3 pm for me, then I would turn our a/c on.
otherwise, I would open the windows again to get the air moving.
hope it cools off for you!
Edith
nak

"Alicia Elliott" > wrote in message
. ca...
> Hi Nina, I can understand how you feel. I positively wilt when I get hot,
> it is disgusting. I have some great tips which MAY help, here's hoping:
>
> 1. Take a cool shower, just such that you feel refreshed, but not cold.
> 2. Try keeping some gel ice packs in the freezer, then whenever you are
> sitting down to relax, put one behind your lower back, and/or behind your
> neck. It feels great.
> 3. Get some frosty mugs and drink beverages from them instead of just
from
> the fridge.
> 4. Get your hair wet and put it up. This is one of the best ways I've
> found to cool down.
> 5. Spray yourself with a spray bottle and cold water. If you aren't
> sweating enough, that extra layer of cool moisture can work wonders.
> 6. Close curtains or blinds on the windows when the sun is shining on
them,
> believe it or not, it will prevent the rooms from heating up as much,
> especially if there is no air flow-through (wind blowing) during the day.
> 7. Have a small tub of cool water at your feet while you are resting.
Keep
> your feet in the water to cool your body. The hands, feet and head are
the
> keys to keeping your body temp either high or low. Cooling the feet or
> hands will work wonders to bring your body temp in general down.
> 8. Eat fresh fruit or veggies, nothing heavy. It may help you feel more
> refreshed, not weighted down while you are digesting. Of course this
won't
> work if you are genuinely hungry, but I find that when I am really hot, I
> can't eat much except fruit and I drink a lot. I think that's pretty
> healthy as long as you aren't going hungry.
>
> Good luck and I feel for you.
> -Alicia

Nina
July 20th 03, 07:40 PM
"Cathy Weeks" > wrote > I would also get vertical
blinds for all windows except north windows
> - then close off east windows in the morning, west in the afternoon,
> and south as long as you can stand.

That was my first step, I acutally covered the door in my room with foil.
Had to keep the sun out. Husband called from Iraq and asked has I priced
central air, so it seems he is thinking about me and my SUFFERING. Hopefully
this will be remedied soon!!!!

Valerie Rake
July 21st 03, 03:34 PM
Nina wrote:

>"Cathy Weeks" > wrote > I would also get vertical
>blinds for all windows except north windows
>
>>- then close off east windows in the morning, west in the afternoon,
>>and south as long as you can stand.
>>
>That was my first step, I acutally covered the door in my room with foil.
>Had to keep the sun out. Husband called from Iraq and asked has I priced
>central air, so it seems he is thinking about me and my SUFFERING. Hopefully
>this will be remedied soon!!!!

When I was growing up, we used foil in the west-facing bedroom windows.
Tacky looking, I always thught, but effective.

Valerie

Em
July 22nd 03, 08:37 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
we have cool
> weather 9 months of the year here, no one seems to have air conditioning.
<snip>

I think a few others have mentioned this, but the following method works
really well for my parents:

Open all the windows in the house in the evening & leave open all night
(they have an attic fan as well that they turn on to pull the cooler air
into the house). Before the sun hits the windows in the morning, shut all
the windows, shut the blinds, & shut the curtains (if you have them). This
keeps the house fairly comfortable until mid-afternoon for the most part.

Good luck staying cool! It has been very hot where I live lately too, so I
can empathize with you!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

July 28th 03, 02:29 PM
"Em" > wrote in message
> "Nina" > wrote in message
> we have cool
> > weather 9 months of the year here, no one seems to have air
conditioning.
> <snip>
>
> I think a few others have mentioned this, but the following method works
> really well for my parents:
>
> Open all the windows in the house in the evening & leave open all night
> (they have an attic fan as well that they turn on to pull the cooler air
> into the house).

facing the fan OUTward helps a lot! it sends the hot air out the upper
windows, forcing cooler air in through lower windows - works GREAT at my
folks house
Edith
nak