PDA

View Full Version : intro-ttc after depo

Rob and Jami
July 22nd 03, 06:05 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Jami, my husband and I are ttc #2.

Has anyone here had a hard time concieving after taking depo? I know they
say it takes about a year after your last depo shot but I was just wondering
how long it took everyone else. It'll be a year for me this November, still
no luck. We definatly didn't have a hard time concieving #1, about one
month.

Also, I plan to brestfeed this one. I was told that I couldn't breastfeed
my ds because I have Factor V (a blood clotting disorder) and had to take
lovenox(blood thinner) during my pregnancy and 6 weeks after. Could that
effect my milk? I know I have a long time to research that, but I'm kinda
bummed that I didnt get to experience that w/the first.

TIA
Jami
Mommy to Jordan 07.30.01
TTC #2

Jacqui
July 22nd 03, 02:01 PM
Rob and Jami wibbled

> Has anyone here had a hard time concieving after taking depo? I
> know they say it takes about a year after your last depo shot but
> I was just wondering how long it took everyone else. It'll be a
> year for me this November, still no luck. We definatly didn't have
> a hard time concieving #1, about one month.

<g> I conceived around 18 days after my last shot... SC is a 0.004%
baby, and clearly meant to be!

FWIW I found that 6 months was the interval it took between shot and AF
on two occasions, and on one occasion it took 11 months (I've been on
and off it since 1994). The one that didn't take followed 6 months of
pill and norethisterone, and coincided with other medication, which may
have made a difference to things.

Jac

Astromum
July 22nd 03, 04:20 PM
Rob and Jami wrote:
> Hello everyone! My name is Jami, my husband and I are ttc #2.

Welcome!

> Has anyone here had a hard time concieving after taking depo? I know they
> say it takes about a year after your last depo shot but I was just wondering
> how long it took everyone else. It'll be a year for me this November, still
> no luck. We definatly didn't have a hard time concieving #1, about one
> month.

Never heard of depo, so cannot help you there. But we are ttc #2 ourselves,
just entering 3d cycle (missed out on a few before). First one was also
conceived within a month.

> Also, I plan to brestfeed this one. I was told that I couldn't breastfeed
> my ds because I have Factor V (a blood clotting disorder) and had to take
> lovenox(blood thinner) during my pregnancy and 6 weeks after. Could that
> effect my milk? I know I have a long time to research that, but I'm kinda
> bummed that I didnt get to experience that w/the first.

For a good answer, you can also ask this at misc.kids.breastfeeding. There
are a lot of knowledgable people over there, and some of them will be able
to check your medication in Hale's (the ultimate reference guide for meds
while breastfeeding). There are also a few LC's who frequent there, and I
am sure they can help you find out if and how you can best feed your baby.
HTH!

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Tracy Cramer
July 22nd 03, 08:11 PM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 05:05:49 GMT, "Rob and Jami" >
wrote:

>Also, I plan to brestfeed this one. I was told that I couldn't breastfeed
>my ds because I have Factor V (a blood clotting disorder) and had to take
>lovenox(blood thinner) during my pregnancy and 6 weeks after. Could that
>effect my milk?

Enoxaparin (Lovenox) is a lactation risk category L3. The molecular weight is
8000 -- generally speaking, anything above 300 is fairly safe. This means that
it's unlikely that much would be able to transfer into breastmilk.

Lovenox is also listed as having no oral bioavailability, which is another plus,
since none would be absorbed by the baby.

There should be no reason you can't take this and breastfeed.

Tracy
======================================
We child proofed our home 3 years ago
and they're still getting in!
======================================

Em
July 22nd 03, 08:12 PM
"Rob and Jami" > wrote in message

> Hello everyone! My name is Jami, my husband and I are ttc #2.
>
> Has anyone here had a hard time concieving after taking depo? I know they
> say it takes about a year after your last depo shot but I was just
wondering
> how long it took everyone else. It'll be a year for me this November,
still
> no luck. We definatly didn't have a hard time concieving #1, about one
> month.

I don't have any input re: your depo question, but I did want to say welcome
to the group! I have heard that taking a year to conceive after depo is not
unsual--also keep in mind that 6-12 months is a "normal" amount of time for
couples to try regardless of prior bc methods. Hope ttc is successful for
you soon!

> Also, I plan to brestfeed this one. I was told that I couldn't breastfeed
> my ds because I have Factor V (a blood clotting disorder) and had to take
> lovenox(blood thinner) during my pregnancy and 6 weeks after. Could that
> effect my milk? I know I have a long time to research that, but I'm kinda
> bummed that I didnt get to experience that w/the first.

Not sure about this one either. I would suggest that you check out
misc.kids.breastfeeding. They know a *lot* over there & I imagine someone
there would be able to offer you info/resources!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Hope
July 23rd 03, 10:51 AM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 05:05:49 GMT, "Rob and Jami"
> wrote:

>Hello everyone! My name is Jami, my husband and I are ttc #2.
>
>Has anyone here had a hard time concieving after taking depo? I know they
>say it takes about a year after your last depo shot but I was just wondering
>how long it took everyone else. It'll be a year for me this November, still
>no luck. We definatly didn't have a hard time concieving #1, about one
>month.

It took me 18 months from my last shot- it took approx 9 of those
months for AF to return. My cycles were so different after 3 years on
depo that I doubt I would have conceived if I hadn't been charting.

Hope

--
Riley 1993 c/s
Tara 2002 HBAC

jjmoreta
July 25th 03, 06:08 AM
"Rob and Jami" > wrote in message
y.com...
> Hello everyone! My name is Jami, my husband and I are ttc #2.
>
> Has anyone here had a hard time concieving after taking depo? I know they
> say it takes about a year after your last depo shot but I was just
wondering
> how long it took everyone else. It'll be a year for me this November,
still
> no luck. We definatly didn't have a hard time concieving #1, about one
> month.
>
> Also, I plan to brestfeed this one. I was told that I couldn't breastfeed
> my ds because I have Factor V (a blood clotting disorder) and had to take
> lovenox(blood thinner) during my pregnancy and 6 weeks after. Could that
> effect my milk? I know I have a long time to research that, but I'm kinda
> bummed that I didnt get to experience that w/the first.
>
> TIA
> Jami
> Mommy to Jordan 07.30.01
> TTC #2

I don't know how long you've been on Depo, so I'm assuming you were on it
between 1-1.5 years. You may not have problems. But a lot of women I've
talked to (including myself) have had serious problems with their cycles
after being on Depo for 2+ years. I used to have wonderful, regular cycles.
Then I got pregnant (did not carry to term) and went on Depo. I was on it
for a little over 3 years. I suffered from the weight gain (gained about 70
lbs over those 3 yrs) and from depression.

Warning - may be TMI

When I went off of it, I went exactly a year without periods. I had two
periods that were shorter than usual, but were timed a month apart. THEN I
had six months of no period, followed by 3 periods that were 4-6 weeks in
duration and were so heavy I swore I had fibroids (I never did). I didn't
have health insurance at the time, so I basically freaked that I was either
pregnant or had something seriously wrong with me. I did get pregnant
though, 23 months after stopping the shot (with no bc in the interim), but I
lost that one (normal m/c). I got pregnant two months after that and I
blame the weirdness of the 4 week cycle in between on the m/c.

I've read a lot of accounts on the web in the past few years from women who
also believe Depo has screwed up their cycles, at the very least. I won't
even go into detail on how I developed symptoms and was diagnosed with
fibromyalgia while on it (which has been mostly in remission after going off
of Depo).

So, essentially I wish you all the luck in the world. I have read it takes
6-18 months on average to conceive, but be prepared for it to take longer.
Having no periods is nice, but I won't trust my body to extended-release
birth control ever again. I wonder if my cycles will ever be normal. I
wonder how many women would refuse it if they knew they had a chance of not
being regular and "normal" ever again.

- Joanne
#1 - 24w2d

Daye
July 25th 03, 06:08 AM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:08:40 -0500, "jjmoreta" >
wrote:

>So, essentially I wish you all the luck in the world. I have read it takes
>6-18 months on average to conceive, but be prepared for it to take longer.

After my DD was born, I had 2 injections of Depo (total time was 6
months of protection). It took me 18 months to get pregnant with #2.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au