PDA

View Full Version : No/Irregular Period, but Negative Pregnancy Test

July 22nd 03, 03:09 PM
The following is posted at the request of my wife:

My husband & I have been trying to get pregnant
for the last 6 months. I got off the birth control
pill in Jan'03 and we started trying since then. Since then,
my periods have been quite regular with either a 27 or 28 day
cycle, the 28 day one being more common.
From all my charting experiences to predict ovulation, my best
guess showed that I usually ovulated around day 14/15
Although on my last cycle, it seemed like I did not ovulate
until day 18.
Is it possible that the day you ovulate varies
that much from cycle to cycle?
Also, is it possible to ovulate on day 18 & still be on a 28 day
cycle?
With the 28-cycle calculation, I was supposed to get my period
on Sat, Jul 19 but still haven't gotten one. I have taken
2 pregnancy tests so far with both being negative.
Is it highly possible that my period cycle is suddenly messed up & I am
not pregnant?

Thanks for any information.

AngelBaby \(Heather\)
July 22nd 03, 03:40 PM
Happened to me as I was 15 days late and then it finally came. When I went
to the doctor he told me that changes in your lifestyle affect periods. I
am training for a chartiy walk of 60KM so it may have affected the date my
period was to come. Plus I am under a lot more stress at work these days.
I have been regular ever since though.

Heather
> wrote in message
>
> The following is posted at the request of my wife:
>
> My husband & I have been trying to get pregnant
> for the last 6 months. I got off the birth control
> pill in Jan'03 and we started trying since then. Since then,
> my periods have been quite regular with either a 27 or 28 day
> cycle, the 28 day one being more common.
> From all my charting experiences to predict ovulation, my best
> guess showed that I usually ovulated around day 14/15
> Although on my last cycle, it seemed like I did not ovulate
> until day 18.
> Is it possible that the day you ovulate varies
> that much from cycle to cycle?
> Also, is it possible to ovulate on day 18 & still be on a 28 day
> cycle?
> With the 28-cycle calculation, I was supposed to get my period
> on Sat, Jul 19 but still haven't gotten one. I have taken
> 2 pregnancy tests so far with both being negative.
> Is it highly possible that my period cycle is suddenly messed up & I am
> not pregnant?
>
> Thanks for any information.

Sidheag McCormack
July 22nd 03, 07:23 PM
> From all my charting experiences to predict ovulation, my best guess
> showed that I usually ovulated around day 14/15 Although on my last
> cycle, it seemed like I did not ovulate until day 18. Is it possible
> that the day you ovulate varies that much from cycle to cycle?

Yes, that's nothing! You're lucky to usually have such regular cycles.

> Also, is it possible to ovulate on day 18 & still be on a 28 day cycle?

It's not likely. Generally, the time between when you ovulate and when your
period arrives (your luteal phase) is a fixed length (maybe a different
length for each woman, but yours sounds like a 13/14 day LP, which is
pretty typical), while the time before ovulation (the follicular phase) is
far more likely to vary with things like stress etc. So if you ovulated 3
days later than usual, you should also expect your cycle to be 3 days
longer than usual.

> With the 28-cycle calculation, I was supposed to get my period on Sat,
> Jul 19 but still haven't gotten one. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests so
> far with both being negative. Is it highly possible that my period cycle
> is suddenly messed up & I am not pregnant?

I'd say that if you normally O on cd 14/15 and this time Od on cd 18,
your period is due today or tomorrow. So hold off on testing for a bit if
you can... Good luck though.

Sidheag
edd Oct 13th