PDA

View Full Version : Indian-western names

Clisby Williams
July 22nd 03, 07:14 AM
Mom2B wrote:

>Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
>baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
>We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
>
>Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a general search so
>only send me sites that you recommend).
>
>Anika
>EDD 11th January 2004

I like the name Indra - my husband had a colleague whose wife was named
that.

Clisby

Clisby Williams
July 22nd 03, 07:44 AM
Cheryl S. wrote:

>Mom2B > wrote in message
>

>>Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd
>>like to give my baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce
>>in English. Any suggestions? We don't know if it's a boy or girl
>>yet so suggestions for both welcome.
>>
>>Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a
>>general search so only send me sites that you recommend).
>>

>My FIL is from India so I have looked at some Indian names too. We live
>in the US, so I was also looking for names that are easy to pronounce
>and spell in English. Some that I liked for a boy have been: Jivan,
>Rajan, and Deven. These have been in generic baby name books. I
>haven't found any websites that I found helpful so I will also be
>reading your other replies with interest. I have a book on hold at the
>library that will hopefully be returned soon. It's called _Hindu Baby
>Names: 2100 Beautiful Names For Your Baby_, by Ashok Kaushik; maybe you
>can find that somewhere. I think as long as you stick to two-syllable
>names, most Indian names are fairly straightforward in English. They
>will probably have to be spelled for people (what name doesn't these
>days?), but reading them generally seems not to be a problem.
>--

Shoot, I forgot about Ashok. A little boy in my daugher's preschool
was named that, and
his sister was Anu.

Clisby

Mom2B
July 22nd 03, 04:59 PM
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.

Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a general search so
only send me sites that you recommend).

Anika
EDD 11th January 2004

Buzzy Bee
July 22nd 03, 06:35 PM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:59:54 +0100, "Mom2B" >
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
>Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
>baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
>We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.

Depending on where in the UK you are, I wouldn't think it was a bit
issue. I work with a lot of Indian people and have never found their
names difficult to pronounce, occasionally I'll get it wrong and have
to be corrected, but its pretty rare. An Indian name is a lot more
acceptable than our (100% native UK) choice!

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)
Seoras' story: http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Cheryl S.
July 22nd 03, 07:17 PM
Mom2B > wrote in message
> Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd
> like to give my baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce
> in English. Any suggestions? We don't know if it's a boy or girl
> yet so suggestions for both welcome.
>
> Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a
> general search so only send me sites that you recommend).

My FIL is from India so I have looked at some Indian names too. We live
in the US, so I was also looking for names that are easy to pronounce
and spell in English. Some that I liked for a boy have been: Jivan,
Rajan, and Deven. These have been in generic baby name books. I
haven't found any websites that I found helpful so I will also be
reading your other replies with interest. I have a book on hold at the
library that will hopefully be returned soon. It's called _Hindu Baby
Names: 2100 Beautiful Names For Your Baby_, by Ashok Kaushik; maybe you
can find that somewhere. I think as long as you stick to two-syllable
names, most Indian names are fairly straightforward in English. They
will probably have to be spelled for people (what name doesn't these
days?), but reading them generally seems not to be a problem.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.
And a boy, EDD 4.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Iuil
July 22nd 03, 08:20 PM
"Mom2B" wrote
> Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
> baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
> We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.

An ex-colleague of mine was called Priya (she had an Indian Dad and Irish
Mum). IIRC one of her sisters was called Indira.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Jacqui
July 22nd 03, 08:24 PM
Buzzy Bee wibbled
> Mom2B wrote:

>>Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to
>>give my baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English.
>>Any suggestions? We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so
>>suggestions for both welcome.
>
> Depending on where in the UK you are, I wouldn't think it was a
> bit issue. I work with a lot of Indian people and have never
> found their names difficult to pronounce, occasionally I'll get it
> wrong and have to be corrected, but its pretty rare.

Ditto, I went to university with a very mixed bunch of people from all
sorts of areas, and can't say I ever had trouble with any Indian names
(Indonesian, now that's a different story...). FWIW names I like
include: Simi, Ikram, Sanjay, Deepak, Kulvinder, Sushila, Meera.

Jac

==Daye==
July 22nd 03, 10:54 PM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:59:54 +0100, "Mom2B"
> wrote:

>Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
>baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?

I personally love the name Jaya.

My DD has an Indian name, but we pronounce it Jay Anne.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Shelly
July 23rd 03, 12:28 AM
"Mom2B" > wrote in message
> Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
> baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
> We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
>
> Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a general search so
> only send me sites that you recommend).
>
> Anika
> EDD 11th January 2004

I like Vijay for a boy (he could always go by Jay if he wanted to anglicize
his name), and Amba for a girl. I think they are both quite natural sounding
and easy to pronounce in English.

Good luck!
Michelle

Shelly
July 23rd 03, 02:48 AM
For a girl I like Pria boy's i dunno.

--

Shelly
Mommy to Zachariah
"Shelly" > wrote in message

> "Mom2B" > wrote in message
> > Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
> > baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any
suggestions?
> > We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
> >
> > Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a general search
so
> > only send me sites that you recommend).
> >
> > Anika
> > EDD 11th January 2004
> >

> I like Vijay for a boy (he could always go by Jay if he wanted to
anglicize
> his name), and Amba for a girl. I think they are both quite natural
sounding
> and easy to pronounce in English.
>
> Good luck!
> Michelle

Laurie
July 23rd 03, 04:51 AM
Jacqui wrote in message ...
>Buzzy Bee wibbled
>> Mom2B wrote:
>
>>>Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to
>>>give my baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English.
>>>Any suggestions? We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so
>>>suggestions for both welcome.
>>
>> Depending on where in the UK you are, I wouldn't think it was a
>> bit issue. I work with a lot of Indian people and have never
>> found their names difficult to pronounce, occasionally I'll get it
>> wrong and have to be corrected, but its pretty rare.
>
>Ditto, I went to university with a very mixed bunch of people from all
>sorts of areas, and can't say I ever had trouble with any Indian names
>(Indonesian, now that's a different story...). FWIW names I like
>include: Simi, Ikram, Sanjay, Deepak, Kulvinder, Sushila, Meera.
>
>Jac

I'm sorry, I somehow totally missed the "western" part of your post and
suggested an American Indian name. Sorry!!!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 14 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

JoFromOz
July 23rd 03, 01:55 PM
I really like Pryantha :)

Jo RM

Karen
July 23rd 03, 10:00 PM
Iuil wrote:

> An ex-colleague of mine was called Priya (she had an Indian Dad and Irish
> Jean

That's what I was about to suggest. It's hands down my favorite Indian girls
name.
Another I like is Nalini. I did know a little boy once named Shan-sounds just
like Sean.
I also went to high school with a boy named Vic. His full name was much longer
but Vic was certainly
simple enough to spell and pronounce:-) There is a very large Indian population
in central NJ and most people
are pretty familiar with Indian names and their pronounciation.

K-

Phoebe & Allyson
July 24th 03, 12:06 AM
Laurie wrote:

> THe only one that comes immediately to mind is Cheyenne (Shy-anne or
> Shy-enne, but I've also heard it pronounced Chai-anne)

I think she meant India-Indian, not Native American?

Phoebe :)

Nina
July 24th 03, 02:48 AM
I like
Bina
From a website I found, I selected:

Asha
Anjali
Chhaya
Nayana
Nalini

"Vicki S" > wrote in message
. edu...
> Let me see, I went to college with a bunch of Indian women. I found
> these names in an old college yearbook:
> Naheed
> Bina
> Sarbani
> Sharmila
> Ruma
> Suparni
> Malini (I like this one)
> Rubab
> Priyadharshi
> Vijaya
> Reehana
> Shazia (I really like this one!)
>
> HTH :)
>
> ---
> --- Vicki in Indiana
>
> Married my dear husband Joshua on May 21, 1995.
> Ima shel DS, born 11/16/99 and breastfed for 22 months;
> and Ima shel DD, still nursing. Born at home, 05/19/02.
> http://www.geocities.com/vyxter/
> An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy. -Spanish proverb
> Names I like: Adele, Amelia, Chloe, Corinne, Lionel, Orlando, Theodore,
> Timothy.

Catherine C.
July 24th 03, 06:56 AM
"Mom2B" > wrote in message >...
> Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
> baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
> We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
>
> Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a general search so
> only send me sites that you recommend).
>
> Anika
> EDD 11th January 2004

I *love* Anjali...I used to work with a Scottish woman whose husband was
Indian and they named their daughter Anjali...:-)

Catherine C.
grandmother to Brendan--Sept. 22, 2002

Linz
July 24th 03, 03:47 PM
"Mom2B" > wrote in message
> Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
> baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
> We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.

Nearly every Indian name I can think of is easy to pronounce in English
because most of them are virtually phonetic.

Do associations matter - it seems to me that some names are common in Muslim
families, others in Hindu, others in Sikh, for example?