PDA

View Full Version : Foul odor discharge (graphic)

daisy
July 22nd 03, 07:29 PM
Hello,
this is a really embarrasing question, but here it goes. Im 37 weeks and
for about 4 weeks now I have had a really foul odor discharge from my
vaginal area. Its sticky and clear and I do wear a pad. It almost smells
of urine but not exactly. I know that I could be leaking urine but its not
exactly that smell. I had a group b strep test done last visit and I was
wondering if I have that if that would cause a foul odor?
TIA
Daisy

kadunk
July 22nd 03, 07:52 PM
daisy wrote:
> this is a really embarrasing question, but here it goes. Im 37 weeks and
> for about 4 weeks now I have had a really foul odor discharge from my
> vaginal area. Its sticky and clear and I do wear a pad. It almost smells
> of urine but not exactly. I know that I could be leaking urine but its not
> exactly that smell. I had a group b strep test done last visit and I was
> wondering if I have that if that would cause a foul odor?

If it's sticky and clear, it could be one of two things.

1. Cervival fluid. This is totally normal and when you're in a normal
(non-pregnant) cycle it comes and goes. It could be anything from kinda
white and chunky (small amounts) to creamy, like lotion or milk, to
egg-whitey, which sounds like what you've got. It doesn't usually smell
too offensive.

2. Amniotic fluid. You are 37 weeks along, right? You could be leaking
slowly instead of having your water "burst" all at once. I'm not sure,
but this could be a slight cause for concern.

Since you're so far along, I'd call your doctor/midwife if I were you and they
can test the fluid and tell you what it is, no problem!

Be safe, and good luck!

-Kim

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
i'm just a girl in the world

Astromum
July 22nd 03, 08:07 PM
kadunk wrote:

> If it's sticky and clear, it could be one of two things.
>
> 1. Cervival fluid.
>
> 2. Amniotic fluid.

Neither is supposed to cause a foul smell. My midwife and OB/GYN
have both told me to get in touch as soon as I noticed a clear
change in smell, but I never did. The smell of amniotic fluid is
a bit sweet, not foul, and you will most likely not smell anything
if you just loose small amounts. Cervical fluid shouldn't smell
any different than normal discharge.

Sometimes a yeast infection can cause a bad smell, but then you
would also have severe itch and irritation. Otherwise, I really
have no clue, but make sure a doctor checks it out thoroughly.
Since a baby has to pass through that way, I'd have them make
absolutely sure there is no risky infection going on there.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Elly
July 25th 03, 10:04 AM
Here's a link to an article that might give you some answers:
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/270.html

HTH,
Elly
29 weeks + 4 days