PDA

View Full Version : Trivial question re: Bedding recommendations

Jennifer Rasmussen
July 22nd 03, 10:48 PM
Ok, so I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to get a quilt for the crib in a solid
color. Everything seems to be part of a themed bedding set or have a
pattern on it. I have a big tapestry going up on the nursery wall and I
don't want to room getting overly busy, so I would really prefer a solid
colored quilt in a shade of purple or, barring that, blue.

Anyone seen any crib bedding in simple solid colors anyplace? Any
recommendations for stores to try? I've checked all the usual suspects
(Babies R Us, Target, Pottery Barn Kids, and several sites online).

Thanks for any ideas!
Jen

---
Jennifer Rasmussen
Email:
Web: www.rasmussencentral.com

CY
July 22nd 03, 10:59 PM
Try http://www.babybedding.com/set.asp?number=90
They have lots of colors...
or
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_678_6972_10102_9711_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=0548001898169150050

I did a search in Yahoo for baby beddding solid and it came up with lots of
links. Hope you find what you're looking for!

"Jennifer Rasmussen" > wrote in message
t...
> Ok, so I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to get a quilt for the crib in a solid
> color. Everything seems to be part of a themed bedding set or have a
> pattern on it. I have a big tapestry going up on the nursery wall and I
> don't want to room getting overly busy, so I would really prefer a solid
> colored quilt in a shade of purple or, barring that, blue.
>
> Anyone seen any crib bedding in simple solid colors anyplace? Any
> recommendations for stores to try? I've checked all the usual suspects
> (Babies R Us, Target, Pottery Barn Kids, and several sites online).
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
> Jen
>
> ---
> Jennifer Rasmussen
> Email:
> Web: www.rasmussencentral.com

Jennifer Rasmussen
July 22nd 03, 11:07 PM
"CY" > wrote in message
> Try http://www.babybedding.com/set.asp?number=90
> They have lots of colors...
> or

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_678_6972_10102_9711_5:view=-1,
00.html?sid=0548001898169150050

Could you possible rule more? I am buying the purple one even as we
speak. THANK YOU!!!!

Jen

Truffles
July 23rd 03, 12:08 AM
Jennifer Rasmussen wrote:

> No, sorry I was not being clear. I meant "quilt" in the
> bedspread/coverlet/comforter/blanket sense.

You do realize, don't you, that you are not supposed to put a blanket,
especially a quilt, over a baby in a crib? Same with bumpers and pillows.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Jennifer Rasmussen
July 23rd 03, 01:40 PM
"Truffles" > wrote in message
> Jennifer Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > No, sorry I was not being clear. I meant "quilt" in the
> > bedspread/coverlet/comforter/blanket sense.
>
> You do realize, don't you, that you are not supposed to put a blanket,
> especially a quilt, over a baby in a crib? Same with bumpers and
pillows.

I certainly don't intend to throw her in a crib with a bunch of strangle
and choke hazards, if that is what you're asking. I fully realize all
the safety measures that must be taken to protect her. An infant-sized
blanket may be used in cold weather if tucked into the sides (or 1 side)
of the crib or if a newborn is swaddled in it. The coverlet I was
asking about is largely decorative in nature.

Jen

Jennifer Rasmussen
July 23rd 03, 01:43 PM
"silvasurfa" > wrote in message

> How about making one?
>
> rec.crafts.textiles.quilting is a way cool NG

Hee hee... I can't even sew a button. My husband has to do it for me.
Any craft I attempt is doomed to look like a 4 year old did it (meaning
no offense to the 4 year olds), but I suppose for a baby's room that
might be appropriate :-).

Jen

Linz
July 23rd 03, 04:05 PM
"Truffles" > wrote in message
> Jennifer Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > No, sorry I was not being clear. I meant "quilt" in the
> > bedspread/coverlet/comforter/blanket sense.
>
> You do realize, don't you, that you are not supposed to put a blanket,
> especially a quilt, over a baby in a crib? Same with bumpers and pillows.

Serious question - what do you call a blanket? Because here in the UK we are
advised to use blankets as opposed to quilts for cots/cribs.

Truffles
July 23rd 03, 05:29 PM
Jennifer Rasmussen wrote:

> "Truffles" > wrote in message
>
>>Jennifer Rasmussen wrote:
>>

>>>No, sorry I was not being clear. I meant "quilt" in the
>>>bedspread/coverlet/comforter/blanket sense.
>>
>>You do realize, don't you, that you are not supposed to put a blanket,
>>especially a quilt, over a baby in a crib? Same with bumpers and
>
> pillows.
>

> I certainly don't intend to throw her in a crib with a bunch of strangle
> and choke hazards, if that is what you're asking. I fully realize all
> the safety measures that must be taken to protect her. An infant-sized
> blanket may be used in cold weather if tucked into the sides (or 1 side)
> of the crib or if a newborn is swaddled in it. The coverlet I was
> asking about is largely decorative in nature.

Ah, I understand now. Where I am, a quilt is a thick stuffed
blanket-type cover. It just raised alarms because the major chains are
STILL selling these sets (with bumpers, yet) for crib bedding.

But, even still, you don't need a blanket for the crib because they do
sell blanket sleepers.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Jennifer Rasmussen
July 23rd 03, 05:49 PM
"Truffles" > wrote in message

> Ah, I understand now. Where I am, a quilt is a thick stuffed
> blanket-type cover. It just raised alarms because the major chains
are
> STILL selling these sets (with bumpers, yet) for crib bedding.

Yeah, the word "quilt" was an unfortunate word choice on my part - sorry
about that. It's interesting how it means different things different
places. Rather like going to the UK and asking for "jelly."

> But, even still, you don't need a blanket for the crib because they do
> sell blanket sleepers.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip. The coverlet I bought (lightweight,
not what you are meaning by quilt) is most likely going to get taken off
when the crib is actually in use. OK, so it's mainly so I can take a
nice looking picture of the crib for my Mom, who bought it for us, and
other than when we want to show somebody our adorable nursery will
probably end up in the closet most of the time once the baby comes... so
sue me ;-). It seems like everyone gives you the fun stuff to buy (cute
little clothes) and you end up buying only the un-fun stuff (breast
pumps); not that I am not EXTREMELY grateful for gifts from family, but
this was my one frivolous purchase that I could have fun buying myself
:-).

Anyone else have a fun frivolous purchase they really enjoyed getting?

Jen

Jennifer Rasmussen
July 23rd 03, 06:21 PM
"Truffles" > wrote in message
> Jennifer Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > Erm... by this I mean, if you happen to be an American. Of course,
> > those of you who LIVE in the UK know exactly what you're asking for.
> >
> > And know that you aren't angry when you're "****ed," too...
>
> Big Grin. Buzzz. Wrong. I'm Canadian. ;-)

In which case, my above comment doesn't apply to you, and you and I,
when "****ed," should both be avoided, whereas "****ed" Brits are often
amusing :-) :-) :-).

Jen (who grew up in Buffalo and loves Canada :-))

Larry McMahan
July 23rd 03, 07:51 PM
Truffles > writes:

: Big Grin. Buzzz. Wrong. I'm Canadian. ;-)

My condolences.

Just kidding,
Larry

Daye
July 23rd 03, 10:27 PM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:05:10 +0100, "Linz" >
wrote:

>Serious question - what do you call a blanket?

To me, a blanket is sometimes called a receiving blanket or a bunny
rug.

CY
August 5th 03, 04:22 AM
No problem - glad I could help!