PDA

View Full Version : Boy or Girl?

Daye
July 23rd 03, 11:05 PM
On 23 Jul 2003 15:09:08 -0700, (Nick) wrote:

>If my first child is a female is it probbable that my second one will be?

Well, you got a 50-50 chance. The first child has nothing to do with
the second.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Nick
July 23rd 03, 11:09 PM
If my first child is a female is it probbable that my second one will be?

Nina
July 24th 03, 12:09 AM
"Nick" > wrote in message
om...
> If my first child is a female is it probbable that my second one will be?

Maybe. 50/50 chance

Larry McMahan
July 24th 03, 01:44 AM
Nick > writes:
: If my first child is a female is it probbable that my second one will be?

Well, in the first place, there is usually not a connection between the
gender of your first child and the gender of your second.

In the second place, many people are saying that your chances are 50/50.
In general this is true, but Some people have a predisposition that favors
one or the other, and in some cases it is possible to skew the odds.

Why do you care? Are you trying to influence the outcome for a prenancy
yet to be consumated, or are you just trying to figure the odds on a
fait accompi?

Larry

H Schinske
July 24th 03, 05:47 AM
wrote:

>Well, in the first place, there is usually not a connection between the
>gender of your first child and the gender of your second.

I think it's interesting, though, that before you have any children at all, and
assuming you will at some point have two and only two, the odds of having
children of different sexes are only one in three (about a third of folks with
two children have two boys, about a third have two girls, about a third have
one of each). Whereas if you've already had one baby, of either sex, your
chance of having one of each after your next birth magically goes up to one in
two :-)

(Yes, I know why this happens. I just think it's cute. Humor me.)

--Helen

andrea
July 24th 03, 08:22 AM
"H Schinske" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
> >Well, in the first place, there is usually not a connection between the
> >gender of your first child and the gender of your second.
>
> I think it's interesting, though, that before you have any children at
all, and
> assuming you will at some point have two and only two, the odds of having
> children of different sexes are only one in three (about a third of folks
with
> two children have two boys, about a third have two girls, about a third
have
> one of each). Whereas if you've already had one baby, of either sex, your
> chance of having one of each after your next birth magically goes up to
one in
> two :-)
>
> (Yes, I know why this happens. I just think it's cute. Humor me.)
>
> --Helen

Well I got a boy first followed by a girl, so that went to plan. THEN I had
3 more boys!

We really want another girl to finish, please God we wern't trying for a
football team!

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 6

silvasurfa
July 24th 03, 12:37 PM
"Nick" > wrote in message
om...
> If my first child is a female is it probbable that my second one will be?

Once you've had a child of one gender, your chances of getting another of
the same gender are *slighty* over 50% because there are some conditions out
there (men with Y predominating sperm, women with acidic cervical mucous)
that lead to families that tend strongly towards one gender or the other.
But this is only a slight increase in probability.

lynn
July 24th 03, 04:42 PM
In article >,
(H Schinske) wrote:

> wrote:
>
> >Well, in the first place, there is usually not a connection between the
> >gender of your first child and the gender of your second.
>
> I think it's interesting, though, that before you have any children at all,
> and
> assuming you will at some point have two and only two, the odds of having
> children of different sexes are only one in three (about a third of folks
> with
> two children have two boys, about a third have two girls, about a third have
> one of each). Whereas if you've already had one baby, of either sex, your
> chance of having one of each after your next birth magically goes up to one
> in
> two :-)
>
> (Yes, I know why this happens. I just think it's cute. Humor me.)
>
> --Helen

Um. I'd like to humor you, but I like probability more. And your
statement doesn't make any sense.

The probability that a hypothetical couple (HC) who will have 2 kids
will have one of each is one in two.
The HC's children will either come out as: BB, BG, GB, GG. 4
possibilities, each equally likely, 2 of the 4 possibilities give you
one of each, 2/4 = 50% = 1/2.

Once they've already had one baby, then the probability of having one of
each after the next birth is still 1/2.

Maybe you're thinking of the old puzzle which goes like this - I have
two children, at least one of whom is a boy. What's the probability that
the other is a boy?

The probability of my having two boys would be 1/3, because you've
narrowed it down to either: BB, BG, or GB.

(Note: To some extent, this depends on how you interpret the puzzle. For
lots more discussion, see for example:
http://www.curiouser.co.uk/us/kids.htm
http://www.icdc.com/~samba/marlright/children.htm
)

- Lynn

H Schinske
July 24th 03, 04:48 PM
wrote:

>The probability that a hypothetical couple (HC) who will have 2 kids
>will have one of each is one in two.
>The HC's children will either come out as: BB, BG, GB, GG. 4
>possibilities, each equally likely, 2 of the 4 possibilities give you
>one of each, 2/4 = 50% = 1/2.

Spoilsport :-)

--Helen

andrea
July 24th 03, 06:51 PM
Whoops I mean Lynn!

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 6
weeks weighing 13 lbs!
Married to David since 2000.

lynn
July 24th 03, 09:04 PM
In article >,
"andrea" > wrote:
> I have had boy, girl, then boy, boy, boy.
>
> I really want another girl to finish so what are my chances?
>
> Is it worth me trying?
>
> Like I said in my earlier reply, "please god, we wern't trying for a
> football team!".
>
> --
> Andrea mom of -
> Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 6
> weeks weighing 13 lbs!
> Married to David since 2000.

Like coin flips, each baby is treated as an independent event, so each
time, your chances of a girl are about 50% (or maybe 49%, boys have a
slightly higher birthrate).

On the other hand, it might be that his sperm, or your body, influences
the odds towards boys. And there are apparently other ways to influence
the outcome. Timing when you have sex, and the like. That might be worth
looking into.

Only you can decide whether it's worth trying again.

BTW, did you ever read "Cheaper By the Dozen"? The Gilbreths had 12
children, 6 girls and 6 boys, but the order in which they were born was
G G B B G G B G B B B B

- Lynn

andrea
July 24th 03, 11:34 PM
> Like coin flips, each baby is treated as an independent event, so each
> time, your chances of a girl are about 50% (or maybe 49%, boys have a
> slightly higher birthrate).
>
> On the other hand, it might be that his sperm, or your body, influences
> the odds towards boys. And there are apparently other ways to influence
> the outcome. Timing when you have sex, and the like. That might be worth
> looking into.
>
> Only you can decide whether it's worth trying again.
>
> BTW, did you ever read "Cheaper By the Dozen"? The Gilbreths had 12
> children, 6 girls and 6 boys, but the order in which they were born was
> G G B B G G B G B B B B
>
> - Lynn

I have been looking into the Shettles type method, and while it makes
perfect sense I am put off by Dr's who say it works the opposite way! I only
found out about it while pregnant already with another boy, so I haven't
actively tried it, but was without realising it!
When trying for a baby I have always waited for egg white mucus before
intercourse, then backed it up with an ovulation predictor test, then I got
4 boys! so I do think it works! my little girl happened without any planning
or timing.

No I haven't read "Cheaper By the Dozen", but I would like to!
--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 7

andrea
July 25th 03, 01:16 AM
"Larry McMahan" > wrote in message

> There is a way to increase your odds. It requires charting your BBT
> and checking your cervical mucus. State quite simply, "boy" sperm
> are faster to reach their target, but "girl" sperm liver longer.
>
> If your aim is to get a girl, you should start making love 5 days
> before ovulation, stop making love 3 days before ovulation, and
> not make love again until after you know that ovulation has occurred.
>
> That way, you have more of the older, slower sperm waiting around
> when the egg comes down.
>
> On the other hand, if you want a boy, you should wait until 1 day
> before ovualtion to start making love, and keep making love until
> you know that ovulation has occurred.
>
> Larry

Thanks Larry,

I discovered this method when it was already too late (see my last post in
this thread), I was carrying another son! I love all my boys don't get me
wrong - but Ellie would love a baby sister!
--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 6
weeks weighing 13 lbs!
Married to David since 2000.

Larry McMahan
July 25th 03, 02:01 AM
andrea > writes:

: Hi Lyn,

: I have had boy, girl, then boy, boy, boy.

: I really want another girl to finish so what are my chances?

: Is it worth me trying?

: Like I said in my earlier reply, "please god, we wern't trying for a
: football team!".

: --
: Andrea mom of -
: Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 6
: weeks weighing 13 lbs!
: Married to David since 2000.
:>

There is a way to increase your odds. It requires charting your BBT
and checking your cervical mucus. State quite simply, "boy" sperm
are faster to reach their target, but "girl" sperm liver longer.

If your aim is to get a girl, you should start making love 5 days
before ovulation, stop making love 3 days before ovulation, and
not make love again until after you know that ovulation has occurred.

That way, you have more of the older, slower sperm waiting around
when the egg comes down.

On the other hand, if you want a boy, you should wait until 1 day
before ovualtion to start making love, and keep making love until
you know that ovulation has occurred.

Larry

Daye
July 25th 03, 05:06 AM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:34:06 +0100, "andrea" >
wrote:

>No I haven't read "Cheaper By the Dozen", but I would like to!

There is a movie from the 50s. The movie is being remade with Steve
Martin and Hillary Duff.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Linz
July 25th 03, 06:42 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:04:28 GMT, lynn > wrote:

>BTW, did you ever read "Cheaper By the Dozen"? The Gilbreths had 12
>children, 6 girls and 6 boys, but the order in which they were born was
>G G B B G G B G B B B B

I think there's an extra boy there!
--
EDD 1/11/03