PDA

View Full Version : Bells Palsy

David Hersh
July 25th 03, 02:38 AM
My wife gave birth to our daughter 5 days ago and started showing
signs of Bells Palsy 3 days later. The right side of her face is
somewhat paralyzed (i.e., her eye doesn't close or blink, the right
side of her mouth doesn't move). Her doctor says that it should start
to clear up within a week or so, and has her on prednisone (a
steroid).

Despite her doctor's reassurance we're both very concerned. Has anyone
else experienced this? How long did it take to go away? Are we on the
right course of treatment?

Thanks,

Dave

Sandi
July 25th 03, 03:36 AM
This didn't happen to me personally, but a girl I used to work with had this
right after she gave birth last December. I don't know if she was taking
any medicine for it or not, but it didn't take long (a few weeks maybe...I
didn't see her real often, so I can't remember exactly when) for it to clear
up. She's completely back to normal, with no signs at all that this had
ever happened.

Hopefully this gave you a little peace of mind and that your wife starts to
notice it clearing up shortly.

--
Sandi
Abby (9/20/00)

"David Hersh" > wrote in message
m...
> My wife gave birth to our daughter 5 days ago and started showing
> signs of Bells Palsy 3 days later. The right side of her face is
> somewhat paralyzed (i.e., her eye doesn't close or blink, the right
> side of her mouth doesn't move). Her doctor says that it should start
> to clear up within a week or so, and has her on prednisone (a
> steroid).
>
> Despite her doctor's reassurance we're both very concerned. Has anyone
> else experienced this? How long did it take to go away? Are we on the
> right course of treatment?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Daye
July 25th 03, 05:09 AM
On 24 Jul 2003 18:38:57 -0700, (David Hersh) wrote:

>Despite her doctor's reassurance we're both very concerned. Has anyone
>else experienced this? How long did it take to go away? Are we on the
>right course of treatment?

My mother had Bell's Palsy. It wasn't the result of a birth, though.

If I recall, it lasted for about 12 months with my mother. She had
no treatment, as far as I can remember. One day, it just went away.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

magenta
July 25th 03, 06:36 AM
My sil's took 3 months to clear up.
A friend of mine has it now and the dr. said 3 months.

"David Hersh" > wrote in message
m...
> My wife gave birth to our daughter 5 days ago and started showing
> signs of Bells Palsy 3 days later. The right side of her face is
> somewhat paralyzed (i.e., her eye doesn't close or blink, the right
> side of her mouth doesn't move). Her doctor says that it should start
> to clear up within a week or so, and has her on prednisone (a
> steroid).
>
> Despite her doctor's reassurance we're both very concerned. Has anyone
> else experienced this? How long did it take to go away? Are we on the
> right course of treatment?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Kereru
July 25th 03, 11:48 AM
"David Hersh" > wrote in message
m...
> My wife gave birth to our daughter 5 days ago and started showing
> signs of Bells Palsy 3 days later. The right side of her face is
> somewhat paralyzed (i.e., her eye doesn't close or blink, the right
> side of her mouth doesn't move). Her doctor says that it should start
> to clear up within a week or so, and has her on prednisone (a
> steroid).
>
> Despite her doctor's reassurance we're both very concerned. Has anyone
> else experienced this? How long did it take to go away? Are we on the
> right course of treatment?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

My cousin had it. As far as I know it wasn't treated and went away of it's
own accord. There was no explanation of why it came on and he has no lasting
effects. Do a Google search on it if you haven't already.

Judy

Denise
July 25th 03, 06:04 PM
"David Hersh" > wrote in message
m...
> My wife gave birth to our daughter 5 days ago and started showing
> signs of Bells Palsy 3 days later. The right side of her face is
> somewhat paralyzed (i.e., her eye doesn't close or blink, the right
> side of her mouth doesn't move). Her doctor says that it should start
> to clear up within a week or so, and has her on prednisone (a
> steroid).
>
> Despite her doctor's reassurance we're both very concerned. Has anyone
> else experienced this? How long did it take to go away? Are we on the
> right course of treatment?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

My mom had it when I was a teenager. It took about a month to *start* to go
away, and it took about 6 months before she was back to normal.

New York Jen
July 26th 03, 05:20 PM
"David Hersh" > wrote in message
m...
> My wife gave birth to our daughter 5 days ago and started showing
> signs of Bells Palsy 3 days later. The right side of her face is
> somewhat paralyzed (i.e., her eye doesn't close or blink, the right
> side of her mouth doesn't move). Her doctor says that it should start
> to clear up within a week or so, and has her on prednisone (a
> steroid).
>
> Despite her doctor's reassurance we're both very concerned. Has anyone
> else experienced this? How long did it take to go away? Are we on the
> right course of treatment?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

There is definitely a hormonal component to Bells Palsey. My friend had it
the week she conceived her daughter, and several doctors asked her if she
was pregnant or recently had a baby. I don't know a lot about it, I just
know that it's very possible that the birth may have "caused" the Palsey,
and it WILL go away. My friend's started going away within a couple of
weeks and was completely gone within a month.

Good luck and congratulations on your daughter's arrival!

- Jen