PDA

View Full Version : Rebekka Friederike's Birth Story

sabie
July 24th 03, 06:49 PM
Hi all,

I have been a frequent reader, not necessary poster to this group, but
wanted to share my birth story, since I enjoyed reading other's a lot.

I was due July 13 with my second baby, a girl. I went in for a NST on
Friday, July 18. The NST showed that she didn't tolerate contractions very
well: During a 2 minute braxton hicks contraction my baby's heart rate
dropped to 80.

The midwife decided to induce labor right away, with Pitocin. She ordered
dinner for me, and after waiting two hours for dinner, the pit was started
at 5:30 PM, after a good meal.

Contraction started very slowly, things were very tolerable until about
10:30 PM. I was in a rocking chair, standing in front of the bed, moving as
good as possible, since I needed to be on the monitor contionously. We al
rested a little bit, and when I went to the bathroom at around 10:30 or 11
PM, I noticed a bloody show. From this point on I needed to concentrate on
the contractions: I sat in the rocking chair, my midwife and my husband in
front of me, just watching me having my eyes closed. The midwife had planned
to check for dialation at around 11:30 PM, but left me alone, since I seemed
to be so relaxed and concentrated. She was just sitting there with me. I
asked to be checked at midnight, and was "a stretchy 4 cms". When I got up
from the bed the next contraction hit, and I knew I was in transition: I was
shaking all over, contractions felt very very different: More painful - of
course - but much more productive as well.

I asked for the bed to be raised and tried to lean on it, bending my knees,
rocking to the left and right during contractions. I stared to moan during
contractions, which realy helped. Realizing that I was in transition after
being at 4 cms one contraction ago was the hardest point, since I was sure
that no pain medication would be allowed from this point on any more. I
heard the midwife saying that I would move very fast now, and knew that I
needed to make an effort not to panick, but stay in control.

I finally ended up on hands and knees on the floor, midwife and husband with
me on the floor, but still basicaly watching me. My water had still not
broken, I just felt a trickle of water with each contraction, which made it
more tolerable, I am sure.

A couple of contractions later, I felt something between my legs, which must
have been part of the bag, I don't remember.

I then felt her crowning, and announced that she was coming. The midwife
wanted me to get onto the bed to push her out (still on hands and knees, but
on the bed). While I tried to climb on the bed, her heart rate must have
dropped; I didn't notice it, but it must have been down for a couple of
minutes.

I heard the midwife asking for the doctor on call, wondering why she was
calling for a doctor, snce things were going so well (I thought). All of the
sudden the room was full of people, a gourney was brought in and everybody
was yelling at me to get onto the gourney. I did not understand at all what
was hapening, just wondering why they wanted me to push her out on yet
nother bed.

I hadn't realized that the midwife and doctor had been checking me, and I
was still at 9 cms, the baby at -3 station, really high up. She needed to
come out right away, since here heart rate had been down for 8 minutes at
this point. I couldn't cooperate at al, since I just felt her coming and
wanted to oush her out.

I finally realized that my husband was yelling at me to go on that gourney,
and I heard that he was very scared. That made me getting all my energy
together to try and cooperate. The midwife explained that a c-section would
be done now right away, and that the baby needed to be out in a couple of
minutes.

While they still tried o get me to lie down on that gourney I screamed: "She
is coming, she is coming, she is here...." and pushed the head out with one
push, the body with the next.

I stared to shake uncontrollably, everybody in the room was so excited, the
baby was doing just grat (my husband says she was cying when only the head
was out - I don't know). I got checked for tears: No tears, no stitches,
after the shang got better, everything was just fine. The midwife had to
make some efforts to stop the bleeding and get the placenta out, but after
that everything was over and I felt just great.

Rebekka Friederike Kabel as born at 1:05 AM on Saturday, July 19, just 1
hour after I had been checked with 4 cms dialation. She weighted 7 lbs 11
oz, measuring 19.5 in.Breastfeeding is going just great, she has already
gained weight, and slept for almost 5 hours last night.

I am proud to have done this without an epidural, and am sure that with an
epidural I wouldn't have been able to push her out that quickly. My feeling
is that with the epidural I would have gotten the c-section.

The midwife came to my bed later, explaining to me what had happened, and
then we departed: I was brought to my room with Rebekka, my husband and the
midwife went home, to get what was left of a good night's sleep.

Having a midwife with me also helped a lot during labor: I just trusted her
to help me do this, and it was very reassuring to me that she would stay
with me the whole time.

That's my birth story: The recovery is great and very fast, we are all doing
very very well, and I am so grateful for having this experience.

Take care, best wishes to everybody ttc, pregnant and about to give birth.

Sabine

Laurie
July 25th 03, 05:32 AM
Great story! Congrats and welcome to your little one!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 14 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

sabie wrote in message ...
> [...]
>
>I am proud to have done this without an epidural, and am sure that with an
>epidural I wouldn't have been able to push her out that quickly. My feeling
>is that with the epidural I would have gotten the c-section.
>
>The midwife came to my bed later, explaining to me what had happened, and
>then we departed: I was brought to my room with Rebekka, my husband and the
>midwife went home, to get what was left of a good night's sleep.
>
>Having a midwife with me also helped a lot during labor: I just trusted her
>to help me do this, and it was very reassuring to me that she would stay
>with me the whole time.
>
>That's my birth story: The recovery is great and very fast, we are all
doing
>very very well, and I am so grateful for having this experience.
>
>Take care, best wishes to everybody ttc, pregnant and about to give birth.

Linz
July 25th 03, 06:44 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:49:58 -0700, "sabie"
> wrote:

>I hadn't realized that the midwife and doctor had been checking me, and I
>was still at 9 cms, the baby at -3 station, really high up. She needed to
>come out right away, since here heart rate had been down for 8 minutes at
>this point. I couldn't cooperate at al, since I just felt her coming and
>wanted to oush her out.
>
>I finally realized that my husband was yelling at me to go on that gourney,
>and I heard that he was very scared. That made me getting all my energy
>together to try and cooperate. The midwife explained that a c-section would
>be done now right away, and that the baby needed to be out in a couple of
>minutes.
>
>While they still tried o get me to lie down on that gourney I screamed: "She
>is coming, she is coming, she is here...." and pushed the head out with one
>push, the body with the next.

Wow! Well done!
--
EDD 1/11/03
26 weeks

Astromum
July 25th 03, 08:16 PM
sabie wrote:

> Rebekka Friederike Kabel as born at 1:05 AM on Saturday, July 19, just 1
> hour after I had been checked with 4 cms dialation. She weighted 7 lbs 11
> oz, measuring 19.5 in.Breastfeeding is going just great, she has already
> gained weight, and slept for almost 5 hours last night.
>
> I am proud to have done this without an epidural, and am sure that with an
> epidural I wouldn't have been able to push her out that quickly. My feeling
> is that with the epidural I would have gotten the c-section.

Congratulations! I'm sure you are right about the c-section, well done!

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Truffles
July 29th 03, 09:14 PM
Congratulations, Sabine!

Welcome to the world, little Rebekka! :-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau