PDA

View Full Version : TTC

Nikki
July 27th 03, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone. I have been reading this news group for about 6 months now.
DH and I have been TTC so I thought I would introduce myself and try to get
familair with some people for support in case the good news comes anytime
soon. We have been timing my cycle, but it is difficult because I have a
thyroid problem so it is not always regular. Hoping we got it right this
month.

Do any of you have a hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)? Did/do you have
problems with your cycles and conceiving?

Any info would be appreciated.

Nikki

Dagny
July 27th 03, 05:37 PM
Hi Nikki. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I did not have any trouble
conceiving when we started trying a little over a year after diagnosis. I
am replaced much more aggressively than a lot of patients. We (my doctors
and I) do my replacement based on my free T3 and free T4 numbers and ignore
TSH completely (which has been about .03 for well over a year). I use T3
and T4 replacement (was synthetic T3/T4, but am now on a combination of
natural pig Armour brand dessicated thyroid and synthetic Synthroid).

Also during the pregnancy, when you do conceive, most doctors will say you
need to be checked once per trimester to adjust your replacement. I think
this may work for you but I was much more cautious. I requested to be
tested every 4 weeks and am glad I have done so. I have needed 3 or 4
significant adjustments upwards so far, and because my replacement has
needed to be upped so often the doctors are now happy to order the blood
work more frequently.

Also my perinatologist said after the pregnancy I should continue to get
blood work done ever 4-6 weeks until I stop nursing and adjust my thyroid
replacement up and down accordingly to keep free T3 and free T4 in the high
end of the normal range.

Remember this is controversial (replacing to patient symptoms and numbers
other than TSH). Your doctor may flat out refuse to do what my doctors do.
I do not know if this approach will work for everyone or just people with my
level of thyroid destruction and/or screwed up pituitary thyroid axis.

I am envious of people who can just pop a Synthroid once a day and get blood
work done once a year and feel great. But being aggressive I think in my
case has really contributed to my quality of life and my ability to carry
this baby in good health.

Good luck,
-- Dagny
EDD 10/6/03

"Nikki" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi everyone. I have been reading this news group for about 6 months now.
> DH and I have been TTC so I thought I would introduce myself and try to
get
> familair with some people for support in case the good news comes anytime
> soon. We have been timing my cycle, but it is difficult because I have a
> thyroid problem so it is not always regular. Hoping we got it right this
> month.
>
> Do any of you have a hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)? Did/do you
have
> problems with your cycles and conceiving?
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Nikki

Henrietta Louise
July 27th 03, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the group, Nikki =-)
Sorry I can't help with the thyroid questions, but I have seen a lot of
suggestions about buying the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.
Charting really helped me in learning my fertile times. Sending you lots
of baby dust.

Regards,
Henrietta
#4's edd: March 22, 2004

Ericka Kammerer
July 27th 03, 10:39 PM
Dagny wrote:

> Also during the pregnancy, when you do conceive, most doctors will say you
> need to be checked once per trimester to adjust your replacement. I think
> this may work for you but I was much more cautious. I requested to be
> tested every 4 weeks and am glad I have done so. I have needed 3 or 4
> significant adjustments upwards so far, and because my replacement has
> needed to be upped so often the doctors are now happy to order the blood
> work more frequently.
>
> Also my perinatologist said after the pregnancy I should continue to get
> blood work done ever 4-6 weeks until I stop nursing and adjust my thyroid
> replacement up and down accordingly to keep free T3 and free T4 in the high
> end of the normal range.
>
> Remember this is controversial (replacing to patient symptoms and numbers
> other than TSH). Your doctor may flat out refuse to do what my doctors do.
> I do not know if this approach will work for everyone or just people with my
> level of thyroid destruction and/or screwed up pituitary thyroid axis.
>
> I am envious of people who can just pop a Synthroid once a day and get blood
> work done once a year and feel great. But being aggressive I think in my
> case has really contributed to my quality of life and my ability to carry
> this baby in good health.

I would second this as well. I don't know what treatment
protocol will work well for you, but hypothyroidism needs to be
treated and monitored during pregnancy to avoid possible negative
consequences for the baby (and untreated hypothyroidism can cause
fertility problems as well), so if you (the OP) are not being treated
successfully now, I would find someone good and get a successful
treatment program going before getting pregnant.
A friend who was due the same time as I was had thyroid
issues. They were being monitored, but I don't know how frequently
during her pregnancy. She lost her baby at around 19 weeks.
They have no idea if the problem was related to the thyroid issues,
but my friend certainly worries that it may have played a role.
So personally, if I were in that situation, I would be inclined to
err on the side of caution in terms of keeping a close eye on
thyroid issues during pregnancy.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Nikki
July 28th 03, 12:13 PM
Thank you so much for the advice. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago, but
just started taking synthroid again in late April early May. I am well
aware of the side affects on the baby, so I have been making sure to take it
faithfully just in case. I am in the process of switching doctors now. I
never see the actual doctor only the PA and I am not satisfied with that.
I am in the process of making a list of question to drill the new doc with
about my condition and being pregnant with it. If there is anything you can
think of, it would be helpful as well.

I REALLY appreciate all of your information.

"Dagny" > wrote in message
thlink.net...

> Hi Nikki. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I did not have any trouble
> conceiving when we started trying a little over a year after diagnosis. I
> am replaced much more aggressively than a lot of patients. We (my doctors
> and I) do my replacement based on my free T3 and free T4 numbers and
ignore
> TSH completely (which has been about .03 for well over a year). I use T3
> and T4 replacement (was synthetic T3/T4, but am now on a combination of
> natural pig Armour brand dessicated thyroid and synthetic Synthroid).
>
> Also during the pregnancy, when you do conceive, most doctors will say you
> need to be checked once per trimester to adjust your replacement. I think
> this may work for you but I was much more cautious. I requested to be
> tested every 4 weeks and am glad I have done so. I have needed 3 or 4
> significant adjustments upwards so far, and because my replacement has
> needed to be upped so often the doctors are now happy to order the blood
> work more frequently.
>
> Also my perinatologist said after the pregnancy I should continue to get
> blood work done ever 4-6 weeks until I stop nursing and adjust my thyroid
> replacement up and down accordingly to keep free T3 and free T4 in the
high
> end of the normal range.
>
> Remember this is controversial (replacing to patient symptoms and numbers
> other than TSH). Your doctor may flat out refuse to do what my doctors
do.
> I do not know if this approach will work for everyone or just people with
my
> level of thyroid destruction and/or screwed up pituitary thyroid axis.
>
> I am envious of people who can just pop a Synthroid once a day and get
blood
> work done once a year and feel great. But being aggressive I think in my
> case has really contributed to my quality of life and my ability to carry
> this baby in good health.
>
> Good luck,
> -- Dagny
> EDD 10/6/03
>

> "Nikki" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Hi everyone. I have been reading this news group for about 6 months
now.
> > DH and I have been TTC so I thought I would introduce myself and try to
> get
> > familair with some people for support in case the good news comes
anytime
> > soon. We have been timing my cycle, but it is difficult because I have
> > thyroid problem so it is not always regular. Hoping we got it right
this
> > month.
> >
> > Do any of you have a hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)? Did/do you
> have
> > problems with your cycles and conceiving?
> >
> > Any info would be appreciated.
> >
> > Nikki

Em
July 28th 03, 04:45 PM
"Nikki" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I have been reading this news group for about 6 months now.
> DH and I have been TTC so I thought I would introduce myself and try to
get
> familair with some people for support in case the good news comes anytime
> soon. We have been timing my cycle, but it is difficult because I have a
> thyroid problem so it is not always regular. Hoping we got it right this
> month.

Welcome out of lurkerdom, Nikki! I don't have any input re: your thyroid
question, though I do second the recommendation to read TCOYF, if you
haven't already, for a good overview of TTC in harmony with your body. I
wish you all the best on your TTC journey! Hope it is a short one! :-)

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Astromum
July 28th 03, 04:58 PM
Nikki wrote:
> Hi everyone. I have been reading this news group for about 6 months now.
> DH and I have been TTC so I thought I would introduce myself

Welcome Nikki! BTW: you are also welcome to share the bad news here,
if you need to :)

> Do any of you have a hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)? Did/do you have
> problems with your cycles and conceiving?

As you can see in my sig DH and I are ttc, we are now in our 3d cycle.
I missed out on a few due to illness and work related travel. I have
Graves' disease, which is hyperthyroidism, but I am off medications
and have noticed it is slowing down a little. I know slow thyroid can
affect your ability to conceive, but it doesn't have to. Check out
the thyroid.about.com page and pregnancy.about.com, there are some
really good articles on this topic. IIRC you have to keep a look at
your TSH values, and the T3 and T4 are of less importance while ttc.

Are you on synthroid? If so, you shouldn't have much problems, although
occasionally, your TSH can be outside the normal range, depending on
which brand you take, and this can affect your fertility. But check
the pages, they are far more up to date than I am.

I noticed that I have more PMS related symptoms (freaking me out each
cycle, as they mimick early pregnancy), and my cycle varies by about
a day each time, but not much more. I have decided to try homeopathic
treatment now, as a regular doctor will not prescribe me medication,
since my values are borderline hypothyroid.

DS was conceived within the first full cycle after stopping birth
control pills, and DH is really anxious that we haven't succeeded yet
in the 2 previous cycles. But I am not blaming it on the thyroid at
this stage, since it is quite normal to take at least 3-6 months
to conceive, even without thyroid problems, and even then you have
only a 65% to get pregnant in that period. So keep trying!

BTW: if you have any specific questions, you are welcome to drop me
a mail. The header has a valid e-mail and I read it about 1-2 times
a week.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Astromum
July 28th 03, 05:06 PM
Nikki wrote:
> Thank you so much for the advice. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago, but
> just started taking synthroid again in late April early May.

Ah, forget my question in the other post...

> I am well
> aware of the side affects on the baby, so I have been making sure to take it
> faithfully just in case.

FWIW: I have heard that very recent studies show the thyroid function of
the mother mainly influences development in the first trimester. After that
the foetus is able to make its own thyroid hormones, and seems to be much
less affected by the mother's hormones.

So it is especially important to monitor medication and blood values in the
first 14 weeks, and I agree that once per trimester is not enough. I wasn't
monitored, even with a history of Graves' disease, and my values went through
the ceiling at 12 weeks. Luckily, DS was not affected at all.

> I am in the process of switching doctors now. I
> never see the actual doctor only the PA and I am not satisfied with that.
> I am in the process of making a list of question to drill the new doc with
> about my condition and being pregnant with it. If there is anything you can
> think of, it would be helpful as well.

Thyroid values in pregnant women are very different, so you want to have
a doctor who also takes into account how you feel and not just looks at
the numbers. I have battled OB/GYN and endocrynologists for years, telling
them the thyroid was slow for months in a row, requesting bloodwork, only
to hear 'OK, your levels are low, but not beyond normal range, so no meds'.
And also the opposite, when I was feeling fine, they wanted me to take
synthroid. I switched to an antroposophic/homeopathic doctor now, who is
much more willing to take into account how I feel. If I say the thyroid is
acting up, he wants me to take my temperature for several days in a row,
fill out a symptom list and get the bloodwork done. We just started, so I
don't know how it will develop, but I have very good expectations.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)
TTC #2
"What's the use of brains if you are a girl?"
Aletta Jacobs, first Dutch woman to receive a PhD

Nikki
July 29th 03, 01:26 PM
I want to say thank you to everyone!! Even if not for information you were
very kind in welcoming me aboard. Again, thank you very much for the
information. The websites you mentioned were very helpful as well.

It has been a very frustrating couple of months. It will be nice to have
people to talk to and ask questions about the problems/concerns I am having.

Right now, is the anxious period. We have been charting for about 3-4
months now and as I stated hopefully we got it right this time. I have
about 9 days before AF is supposed to arrive and I can tell you, I don't
know if I have a stomach bug or if it is nerves but I have not felt good
lately.

Again, thanks for the information.

Nikki
TTC #1

"Astromum" > wrote in message
> Nikki wrote:
> > Hi everyone. I have been reading this news group for about 6 months
now.
> > DH and I have been TTC so I thought I would introduce myself
>
> Welcome Nikki! BTW: you are also welcome to share the bad news here,
> if you need to :)
>
> > Do any of you have a hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)? Did/do you
have
> > problems with your cycles and conceiving?
>
> As you can see in my sig DH and I are ttc, we are now in our 3d cycle.
> I missed out on a few due to illness and work related travel. I have
> Graves' disease, which is hyperthyroidism, but I am off medications
> and have noticed it is slowing down a little. I know slow thyroid can
> affect your ability to conceive, but it doesn't have to. Check out
> the thyroid.about.com page and pregnancy.about.com, there are some
> really good articles on this topic. IIRC you have to keep a look at
> your TSH values, and the T3 and T4 are of less importance while ttc.
>
> Are you on synthroid? If so, you shouldn't have much problems, although
> occasionally, your TSH can be outside the normal range, depending on
> which brand you take, and this can affect your fertility. But check
> the pages, they are far more up to date than I am.
>
> I noticed that I have more PMS related symptoms (freaking me out each
> cycle, as they mimick early pregnancy), and my cycle varies by about
> a day each time, but not much more. I have decided to try homeopathic
> treatment now, as a regular doctor will not prescribe me medication,
> since my values are borderline hypothyroid.
>
> DS was conceived within the first full cycle after stopping birth
> control pills, and DH is really anxious that we haven't succeeded yet
> in the 2 previous cycles. But I am not blaming it on the thyroid at
> this stage, since it is quite normal to take at least 3-6 months
> to conceive, even without thyroid problems, and even then you have
> only a 65% to get pregnant in that period. So keep trying!
>
> BTW: if you have any specific questions, you are welcome to drop me
> a mail. The header has a valid e-mail and I read it about 1-2 times
> a week.
>
> --
> -- Ilse
> mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)
> TTC #2
> "What's the use of brains if you are a girl?"
> Aletta Jacobs, first Dutch woman to receive a PhD

Astromum
July 29th 03, 03:29 PM
Nikki wrote:
> Right now, is the anxious period. We have been charting for about 3-4
> months now and as I stated hopefully we got it right this time. I have
> about 9 days before AF is supposed to arrive and I can tell you, I don't
> know if I have a stomach bug or if it is nerves but I have not felt good
> lately.

O wow! You're almost on the same schedule as I am: AF due in 2 weeks. But
I will not test until I am at least 3 days late, since I have managed to
convince myself several times now that I was pregnant when I wasn't. And
those tests are sooooo expensive...

The anxiety is really terrible, but I noticed it helps when I keep myself
focused on my job, or read a really good book. A fixed daily routine is
also good, and I've been keeping a diary of how I feel each day, just to
prevent upsetting myself over the smallest itch or cramp. I know it sounds
impossible, but try to live your life as if nothing happened. The stress
can have adverse effects on your fertility too!

/sends babydust (but not all!)

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)
TTC #2
"What's the use of brains if you are a girl?"
Aletta Jacobs, first Dutch woman to receive a PhD

Daye
July 29th 03, 09:11 PM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:29:17 -0400, Astromum >
wrote:

>/sends babydust (but not all!)

I got extra laying around... so to both Nikki and Ilse:

Hope it all works out for both of you!

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan