PDA

View Full Version : dizziness, stress, heartrate, etc..

Kari
July 29th 03, 06:50 PM
Lately I've been feeling totally stressed out and I've noticed my heartrate
is constantly varying from very fast to very slow. In the process I get very
faint and today I nearly passed out as I could feel my heart skipping beats,
or palpatating, whichever it was and it scared the daylights out of me. It
lasted a good 5 or 6 seconds and I've had it happen before but not that
long. It felt like forever! Im sure its related to the stress and the 2 cups
of coffee I had for breakfast but still, scary nonetheless.

So just a kind of vent because it seems that this is just something else to
worry about! Geez. FWIW, I have low BP and I've been anemic which Im sure
doesn't help either. I take my prenatals faithfully every morning and have
been eating bananas to help with my potassium but its gotten a lot worse.
Any ideas on how to calm it down? I usually take a kava kava when I get all
wired up but Im pretty sure that is out.

Thanks!

Kari
super stressed mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due in 9 weeks!

Daye
July 29th 03, 09:39 PM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:43:02 GMT, "Shelly" >
wrote:

>Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Boy, I really like kava kava, too, but
>I'm guessing it is out, since I've seen several warnings to avoid it
>altogether, since it can apparently cause liver damage.

From everything I have read about the whole kava kava thing, the liver
damage evidence was taken from one woman who took it in HUGE doses
regularly. There are many products that if you take in HUGE doses
regularly will cause liver damage. Tylenol will cause liver damage,
but I don't see them issue health warnings over that.

Kava kava is safe in recommended doses. The key is to not take it
regularly if you are worried about the potential danger. A couple of
doses of kava kava every now and again is safe.

If you are pregnant though, I wouldn't take it at all.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

Laurie
July 30th 03, 03:48 AM
Kari wrote in message ...
>Lately I've been feeling totally stressed out and I've noticed my heartrate
>is constantly varying from very fast to very slow. In the process I get
very
>faint and today I nearly passed out as I could feel my heart skipping
beats,
>or palpatating, whichever it was and it scared the daylights out of me. It
>lasted a good 5 or 6 seconds and I've had it happen before but not that
>long. It felt like forever! Im sure its related to the stress and the 2
cups
>of coffee I had for breakfast but still, scary nonetheless.
>
>So just a kind of vent because it seems that this is just something else to
>worry about! Geez. FWIW, I have low BP and I've been anemic which Im sure
>doesn't help either. I take my prenatals faithfully every morning and have
>been eating bananas to help with my potassium but its gotten a lot worse.
>Any ideas on how to calm it down? I usually take a kava kava when I get all
>wired up but Im pretty sure that is out.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Kari

Yup, your combo of low BP and anemia can definitely cause palpitations and a
fast heart rate. Make sure you drink lots of fluids and have gatorade if
you need to. Take iron supplements, a long acting one to reduce
constipation, and eat red meat and green leafy veggies. But most of all,
try to stay stress free! I have a great idea for you; have the dream I had
the other night. For some totally bizarre reason, I drempt that my hubby and
I went to see DMB every Friday night at a local bar, and this past Friday,
he talked to me and invited me back to his house. LOL. Would that take care
of your stress? ;)

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 14 weeks

*This email address is now valid*
>super stressed mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due in 9 weeks!

Kari
July 30th 03, 01:35 PM
> Hi Kari,
>
> Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Boy, I really like kava kava, too,
but
> I'm guessing it is out, since I've seen several warnings to avoid it
> altogether, since it can apparently cause liver damage. But I do have an
> idea for you...have you tried herbal pillows?

No, I've never heard of them!

> I was waiting for my husband to get done shopping in the mall last week,
and
> sat down near a booth that does water massage. The guy who works there
> rather uncerimoniously plopped an herbal pillow down on my shoulders. At
> first I was taken aback, but really, it was surprisingly soothing and
> relaxing.

Wow, that sounds nice :)

> This site sells pillows just like he had:
> http://www.motherearthpillows.com/trig_pnt.htm. I know nothing about this
> company....just found it randomly when I did a search for herbal pillows.
> I'm tempted to buy one myself, but keep thinking I could make one really
> easily for a whole lot less (as if that is going to happen!). Might be
worth
> a try...
>
> Best of luck,
> Michelle

I actually have an eye patch pillow that is sort of like that, I bought a
few years back from Bath & Body works. I should track it down and see if it
helps. Thanks!

Kari

Kari
July 30th 03, 01:48 PM

> Yup, your combo of low BP and anemia can definitely cause palpitations and
> fast heart rate. Make sure you drink lots of fluids and have gatorade if
> you need to. Take iron supplements, a long acting one to reduce
> constipation, and eat red meat and green leafy veggies. But most of all,
> try to stay stress free! I have a great idea for you; have the dream I
had
> the other night. For some totally bizarre reason, I drempt that my hubby
and
> I went to see DMB every Friday night at a local bar, and this past Friday,
> he talked to me and invited me back to his house. LOL. Would that take
care
> of your stress? ;)
>
> laurie

Uh yeah that would help! Send some Dave dreams my way!!! Unfortunately, no
more DMB this year for me :( I saw one show for my birthday in June and did
make it to see one of him and Tim (Reynolds) together back in March which
was awesome. I've never met him though, I am going to try someday! Have you
seen them yet? I can't count the number I've people I've "converted" to fans
by sending them cd's or talking them into a concert. Afterwards they say "I
didnt know they were so good!" Well, duh! Lol. Im totally hooked on him, of
course you already knew that though :) Have you ever seen all my pictures
from the concerts? I think they are in our yahoo photo page, and my birthday
cake? Its kind of funny. I'll have to post it again sometime.

I did drink about 5 glasses of ice water yesterday after I posted and ate a
nice healthy dinner. I think my iron problem is food related even though I
take my regular prenatals, I dont think it's enough. I hardly ever eat meat
and was vegetarian until I got pregnant so going to meat for health reasons
has been hard for me. I still keep mostly stuff in the fridge but manage to
get some red meat once a week but that is about all I can handle.I can't
tolerate milk except in cereal. Im also thinking I should lay off the coffee
or switch to decaf :) I dont know how I'd wake up though, Im addicted to
it!!

I know my midwife with Noah had to give me supplements sometime in the 3rd
trimester and kept me on them the entire time he was nursing in addition to
my regular vitamins. Those big green awful things, yuk. And I had to take a
stool softener with them the whole time for obvious reasons. Not fun. Im
sure the same thing is happening this time around so I'll probably talk to
her at my next appt which is Monday (32 weeks! kind of scary how fast its
going)

Kari

Daye
July 31st 03, 12:55 AM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:55:36 GMT, "Shelly" >
wrote:

>Hope it works for you! I should have mentioned with the kava kava...I, too,
>am a little skeptical of the claims of liver damage. No studies have been
>done on it, as far as I know, it is all just based on clinical/anecdotal
>evidence. Enough to scare me off, personally, but then I am generally a bit
>skittish anyway. :)

When not pregnant, I take it to help calm me down. I don't take it
regularly or in big doses. My DH did research into why they were
saying it caused liver damage, and he could only find the one woman
that they based it on.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

Kari
July 31st 03, 01:42 AM

> Hope it works for you! I should have mentioned with the kava kava...I,
too,
> am a little skeptical of the claims of liver damage. No studies have been
> done on it, as far as I know, it is all just based on clinical/anecdotal
> evidence. Enough to scare me off, personally, but then I am generally a
bit
> skittish anyway. :)
>
> -Michelle

I really dont like taking anything anyway, even when not pregnant. I get
terrible headaches and have trouble sleeping and was actually on Zoloft
(only 25mg) before getting pregnant. I stopped as soon as I found out. I
hated taking it but it was like a total turnaround, I had been getting
massive headaches probably 4 nights a week that would keep me awake. I
figured it was better than taking Motrin by the handful every other day.
Probably stress related. I am a TOTAL stress/worryer. But anyway...I have
taken Kava Kava a few times, not a ton by any means. I have the same bottle
of capsules that I originally bought and its still 1/4 full probably. DH
takes them too when he gets uptight and needs to relax though he thinks it
makes him feel funny so doesn't like it too much. I however, like the
"funny" feeling. Lol. :)

Kari

Linz
July 31st 03, 12:32 PM
"zeldabee" > wrote in message
> Daye > wrote:
> > "Shelly" > wrote:
> >
> > >Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Boy, I really like kava kava, too,
> > >but I'm guessing it is out, since I've seen several warnings to avoid
it
> > >altogether, since it can apparently cause liver damage.
> >
> > From everything I have read about the whole kava kava thing, the liver
> > damage evidence was taken from one woman who took it in HUGE doses
> > regularly. There are many products that if you take in HUGE doses
> > regularly will cause liver damage. Tylenol will cause liver damage,
> > but I don't see them issue health warnings over that.
>
> I don't see warnings about Tylenol in the US, where you can buy it in
super
> economy size bottles, but in the UK you can only buy it in small
quantities
> because of danger from overdose. IANAD, but I gather that the line between
> a really effective dose and an overdose is not that wide.

The danger line is around 6-8 grams in 24 hours, and it's remarkably easy to
get to that - the boxes here advise 2x500mg tablets every 4-6 hours, if you
take 1g every 4 hours that's your 6g in 24 hours. Also, it's not uncommon
for people to take paracetamol (tylenol) straight, forgetting that they're
also taking cold remedies that include it.

What the govt forgot is that while they've stopped people being able to buy
a bottle of 100 tablets, someone who actually /wants/ to overdose on the
stuff won't have any worries going to different shops to get boxes of 24
tablets and won't really mind popping them all out of the blister packs.

zeldabee
July 31st 03, 02:53 PM
"Linz" > wrote:
> "zeldabee" > wrote...
> > Daye > wrote:
[...]
> > > [...]Tylenol will cause liver
> > > damage, but I don't see them issue health warnings over that.
> >
> > I don't see warnings about Tylenol in the US, where you can buy it in
> super
> > economy size bottles, but in the UK you can only buy it in small
> quantities
> > because of danger from overdose. IANAD, but I gather that the line
> > between a really effective dose and an overdose is not that wide.
>
> The danger line is around 6-8 grams in 24 hours, and it's remarkably easy
> to get to that - the boxes here advise 2x500mg tablets every 4-6 hours,
> if you take 1g every 4 hours that's your 6g in 24 hours. Also, it's not
> uncommon for people to take paracetamol (tylenol) straight, forgetting
> that they're also taking cold remedies that include it.

I'm surprised it's not seen as a problem in the US. But I don't think I've
ever seen it mentioned in the media here. And I know so many people who
have the "if some is good, more is better" mentality that it's surprising
we don't hear of more overdoses.

> What the govt forgot is that while they've stopped people being able to
> buy a bottle of 100 tablets, someone who actually /wants/ to overdose on
> the stuff won't have any worries going to different shops to get boxes of
> 24 tablets and won't really mind popping them all out of the blister
> packs.

Pretty awful way to die, though, especially when you consider that it's
likely you'd fail, and be left horribly ill with irreversible liver damage.
It's sort of like jumping out a 4th-storey window or something. You might
die, but very possibly you'll just end up still alive, but much worse off
than you were before. But then there's just no accounting for stuff like
that.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Linz
July 31st 03, 04:16 PM
"Em" > wrote in message
> "zeldabee" > wrote in message
>
> > I'm surprised it's not seen as a problem in the US. But I don't think
I've
> > ever seen it mentioned in the media here. And I know so many people who
> > have the "if some is good, more is better" mentality that it's
surprising
> > we don't hear of more overdoses.
>
> I've definitely noted that mentality among people I know. One of my mom's
> friends takes *six* Advil (ibuprofen) at a time for her headaches & back
> pain. She gives her son three at a time for his headaches because "he's
> tall." Sometimes I have to wonder if all of the headaches are somehow
linked
> to all the advil consumption. I know that it can cause liver damage, but I
> also imagine that it has *got* to have an impact on other parts of your
body
> as well if you take that much.

Many painkillers can cause rebound pain, especially headaches.

Iuil
July 31st 03, 04:51 PM
"Em" wrote

> I've definitely noted that mentality among people I know. One of my mom's
> friends takes *six* Advil (ibuprofen) at a time for her headaches & back
> pain. She gives her son three at a time for his headaches because "he's
> tall." Sometimes I have to wonder if all of the headaches are somehow
linked
> to all the advil consumption. I know that it can cause liver damage, but I
> also imagine that it has *got* to have an impact on other parts of your
body
> as well if you take that much.

I'm not sure what painkiller is in Advil but there is a genuine complaint
called "paracetemol headache" caused by withdrawal from regular use of
paracetemol. However, most people don't realise that so when they get the
headache they pop another pill ...

The son of a woman I worked with a couple of years ago had a liver
transplant (due to a genetic disorder). Every other person in the hepatic
ward with him was there because of an overdose, most of them accidental!

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Ericka Kammerer
July 31st 03, 07:30 PM
zeldabee wrote:

> "Linz" > wrote:
>
>>"zeldabee" > wrote...
>>
>>>Daye > wrote:
>>>
> [...]
>>>>
>>>I don't see warnings about Tylenol in the US, where you can buy it in
>>>
>>super
>>
>>>economy size bottles, but in the UK you can only buy it in small
>>>
>>quantities
>>
>>>because of danger from overdose. IANAD, but I gather that the line
>>>between a really effective dose and an overdose is not that wide.
>>>
>>The danger line is around 6-8 grams in 24 hours, and it's remarkably easy
>>to get to that - the boxes here advise 2x500mg tablets every 4-6 hours,
>>if you take 1g every 4 hours that's your 6g in 24 hours. Also, it's not
>>uncommon for people to take paracetamol (tylenol) straight, forgetting
>>that they're also taking cold remedies that include it.
>>

> I'm surprised it's not seen as a problem in the US. But I don't think I've
> ever seen it mentioned in the media here. And I know so many people who
> have the "if some is good, more is better" mentality that it's surprising
> we don't hear of more overdoses.

Actually, at least in my experience it *does* get a decent
amount of publicity, particularly a couple years ago when there
were a few very publicized incidents of overdoses (one from giving
a child-sized dose of the infant drops, which are more concentrated,
and others from inadvertent overdoses from taking Tylenol and
cold medicines containing additional Tylenol). The containers
are fairly well marked too. I think the confusion with the infant
drops led to a change in labeling, at least on the infant and
childrens versions.

Best wishes,
Ericka

zeldabee
July 31st 03, 07:34 PM
"Iuil" > wrote:
> "Em" wrote
> >
> > I've definitely noted that mentality among people I know. One of my
> > mom's friends takes *six* Advil (ibuprofen) at a time for her headaches
> > & back pain. She gives her son three at a time for his headaches
> > because "he's tall." Sometimes I have to wonder if all of the headaches
> > are somehow
> linked
> > to all the advil consumption. I know that it can cause liver damage,
> > but I also imagine that it has *got* to have an impact on other parts
> > of your
> body
> > as well if you take that much.
>
> I'm not sure what painkiller is in Advil

It's ibuprofen, and I used to take it for arthritis in prescription
strength, which was about the same as 6 tablets. I'd asked the pharmacist
about it, because the prescription stuff was expensive, and he said there
was no difference between taking that and more tablets of the generic
stuff, so I switched. I don't think there are the same issues with
ibuprofen as with Tylenol. Many people can't tolerate ibuprofen, though,
because it upsets their stomachs.

> but there is a genuine complaint
> called "paracetemol headache" caused by withdrawal from regular use of
> paracetemol.

I've heard about this with migraine remedies containing caffiene, but
hadn't with paracetemol.

> However, most people don't realise that so when they get
> the headache they pop another pill ...
>
> The son of a woman I worked with a couple of years ago had a liver
> transplant (due to a genetic disorder). Every other person in the
> hepatic ward with him was there because of an overdose, most of them
> accidental!

The two people I know who've had liver transplants drank themselves that
way. My liver's great, which is a lucky thing, considering how much
drinking I used to do.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Daye
July 31st 03, 10:00 PM
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:36:18 GMT, "Em" >
wrote:

> One of my mom's
>friends takes *six* Advil (ibuprofen) at a time for her headaches & back
>pain. She gives her son three at a time for his headaches because "he's
>tall."

Before I was pregnant, I was on prescription ibuprofen for pain. My
prescribed dose was about 4 Advil in the OTC strength. My doctor told
me that if it didn't work that we could do a bit higher. So 6 doesn't
sound like a lot to me.

However, I doubt that she needs 6 Advil for a headache. Depending on
the age of the son, 3 could be dangerous though.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan