PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a little silly... (a tad graphic...sorry!)

Shelly
July 29th 03, 08:04 PM
Well, gang, I am feeling a little silly right now. I woke up around 2 a.m.
this morning with an awful backache that wouldn't go away no matter how I
positioned myself and some rather uncomfortable abdominal cramping (not too
bad, just worrisome). I was so uncomfortable, I didn't fall back asleep,
just tossed and turned until the alarm went off at 7 (and my dog was VERY
unhappy with all the tossing and turning...kept looking at me out of the
corner or her eye and sighing loudly; of course, DH never noticed :) ).

By the time I got to work, I was noticing a pain on the right side of my
abdomen on top of everything else, and was freaking out at the discharge
every time I went to the toilet (once with a little tinge of blood, I think,
but I was so freaked out, I'm not positive). Tried getting a hold of the
nurse, and couldn't, so finally DH insisted on taking me in to the doc. We
showed up without an appointment and thinking the worst.

I met my OB for the first time...she was very sweet, did an exam and then an
ultrasound, just to make sure it wasn't an ectopic, since I had pain on only
one side. I felt a little silly when she told me it seemed to be just
constipation (urgh!), but more relieved than I think I've ever been before
in my life. We got to see little critter on the ultrasound, and saw his/her
little heart beating like crazy. The doctor said critter looks perfectly
normal, and seems to be just the right size for its age. I cried, I was so
happy.

All in all, I'm really glad I went in, and really glad I got to meet the OB.
I had picked her based on the recommendation of an OB nurse at our hospital,
who said she is very supportive of natural birth, but really knew nothing
else about her. I like her a lot. If we can swing the money, I might still
switch to a midwife at the birth center, but now I know that I'd feel very
comfortable with my second choice (the OB) if we can't. So, all in all, it
was worth it, even if I did feel as though I was playing the part of the
hysterical first-time mom.

Michelle
& critter edd 3/14/04

andrea
July 29th 03, 08:59 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
> Well, gang, I am feeling a little silly right now. I woke up around 2 a.m.
> this morning with an awful backache that wouldn't go away no matter how I
> positioned myself and some rather uncomfortable abdominal cramping (not
too
> bad, just worrisome). I was so uncomfortable, I didn't fall back asleep,
> just tossed and turned until the alarm went off at 7 (and my dog was VERY
> unhappy with all the tossing and turning...kept looking at me out of the
> corner or her eye and sighing loudly; of course, DH never noticed :) ).
>
> By the time I got to work, I was noticing a pain on the right side of my
> abdomen on top of everything else, and was freaking out at the discharge
> every time I went to the toilet (once with a little tinge of blood, I
think,
> but I was so freaked out, I'm not positive). Tried getting a hold of the
> nurse, and couldn't, so finally DH insisted on taking me in to the doc. We
> showed up without an appointment and thinking the worst.
>
> I met my OB for the first time...she was very sweet, did an exam and then
an
> ultrasound, just to make sure it wasn't an ectopic, since I had pain on
only
> one side. I felt a little silly when she told me it seemed to be just
> constipation (urgh!), but more relieved than I think I've ever been before
> in my life. We got to see little critter on the ultrasound, and saw
his/her
> little heart beating like crazy. The doctor said critter looks perfectly
> normal, and seems to be just the right size for its age. I cried, I was so
> happy.
>
> All in all, I'm really glad I went in, and really glad I got to meet the
OB.
> I had picked her based on the recommendation of an OB nurse at our
hospital,
> who said she is very supportive of natural birth, but really knew nothing
> else about her. I like her a lot. If we can swing the money, I might still
> switch to a midwife at the birth center, but now I know that I'd feel very
> comfortable with my second choice (the OB) if we can't. So, all in all, it
> was worth it, even if I did feel as though I was playing the part of the
> hysterical first-time mom.
>

> Michelle
> & critter edd 3/14/04

Don't feel silly. I had exactly the same thing happen to me, one sided pain.
I'm glad I went in and had a U/S as it turned out not to be an ectopic but a
massive sub-chorionic bleed. I was told I would miscarry, but my son Kamron
is a big beautiful bouncing baby boy, 7 weeks old!
It is always worth getting a concearn checked out, I don't think leaving it
and being stressed would have helped the baby, so you did the right thing.

Isn't it great when you see the heartbeat?

Congratulations!

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 7

Kereru
July 29th 03, 09:40 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
> Well, gang, I am feeling a little silly right now. I woke up around 2 a.m.
> this morning with an awful backache that wouldn't go away no matter how I
> positioned myself and some rather uncomfortable abdominal cramping (not
too
> bad, just worrisome). I was so uncomfortable, I didn't fall back asleep,
> just tossed and turned until the alarm went off at 7 (and my dog was VERY
> unhappy with all the tossing and turning...kept looking at me out of the
> corner or her eye and sighing loudly; of course, DH never noticed :) ).
>
> By the time I got to work, I was noticing a pain on the right side of my
> abdomen on top of everything else, and was freaking out at the discharge
> every time I went to the toilet (once with a little tinge of blood, I
think,
> but I was so freaked out, I'm not positive). Tried getting a hold of the
> nurse, and couldn't, so finally DH insisted on taking me in to the doc. We
> showed up without an appointment and thinking the worst.
>
> I met my OB for the first time...she was very sweet, did an exam and then
an
> ultrasound, just to make sure it wasn't an ectopic, since I had pain on
only
> one side. I felt a little silly when she told me it seemed to be just
> constipation (urgh!), but more relieved than I think I've ever been before
> in my life. We got to see little critter on the ultrasound, and saw
his/her
> little heart beating like crazy. The doctor said critter looks perfectly
> normal, and seems to be just the right size for its age. I cried, I was so
> happy.
>
> All in all, I'm really glad I went in, and really glad I got to meet the
OB.
> I had picked her based on the recommendation of an OB nurse at our
hospital,
> who said she is very supportive of natural birth, but really knew nothing
> else about her. I like her a lot. If we can swing the money, I might still
> switch to a midwife at the birth center, but now I know that I'd feel very
> comfortable with my second choice (the OB) if we can't. So, all in all, it
> was worth it, even if I did feel as though I was playing the part of the
> hysterical first-time mom.
>

> Michelle
> & critter edd 3/14/04

I have had that constipation in the first TM and it really hurts! I can
totally understand you panicking in fact I'm sure I rang my midwife the
first time in happened to me with my first baby.

As for embracing I win, at 24 weeks with my son I choked on a piece of
chicken and felt a gush of liquid. I immediately rang the midwife
proclaiming my waters had broken. I went into hospital and of course it
turned out I had just wet my pants! God knows how I got those two events
confused!

You can get rid of it by eating more fruit and fibre. If that doesn't work
try Metamucil its husks from some plant clears up my constipation quick
smart.

Good Luck

Shelly
July 30th 03, 01:04 AM
"andrea" > wrote in message
> Don't feel silly. I had exactly the same thing happen to me, one sided
pain.
> I'm glad I went in and had a U/S as it turned out not to be an ectopic but
> massive sub-chorionic bleed. I was told I would miscarry, but my son
Kamron
> is a big beautiful bouncing baby boy, 7 weeks old!
> It is always worth getting a concearn checked out, I don't think leaving
it
> and being stressed would have helped the baby, so you did the right thing.
>
> Isn't it great when you see the heartbeat?
>
> Congratulations!
>
> --
> Andrea mom of -
> Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 7
> weeks weighing 13lbs 5
> Married to David since 2000.

Thanks, Andrea, and so glad to hear little Kamron was just fine!

It was great seeing the heartbeat...the nurse had warned us before the
ultrasound that it might be too early to see the heartbeat, so I was just
shocked (and overjoyed) when it showed up so clearly.

-Michelle

Shelly
July 30th 03, 01:06 AM
"Kereru" > wrote in message
> I have had that constipation in the first TM and it really hurts! I can
> totally understand you panicking in fact I'm sure I rang my midwife the
> first time in happened to me with my first baby.
>
> As for embracing I win, at 24 weeks with my son I choked on a piece of
> chicken and felt a gush of liquid. I immediately rang the midwife
> proclaiming my waters had broken. I went into hospital and of course it
> turned out I had just wet my pants! God knows how I got those two events
> confused!
>
> You can get rid of it by eating more fruit and fibre. If that doesn't work
> try Metamucil its husks from some plant clears up my constipation quick
> smart.
>

> Good Luck

Whew! Nice to know I wasn't the only one who made this mistake. Your story
about thinking your waters had broken gave me a good giggle. Thanks!

-Michelle

Em
July 30th 03, 02:56 AM
"Shelly" > wrote in message

> I met my OB for the first time...she was very sweet, did an exam and then
an
> ultrasound, just to make sure it wasn't an ectopic, since I had pain on
only
> one side. I felt a little silly when she told me it seemed to be just
> constipation (urgh!), but more relieved than I think I've ever been before
> in my life. We got to see little critter on the ultrasound, and saw
his/her
> little heart beating like crazy. The doctor said critter looks perfectly
> normal, and seems to be just the right size for its age. I cried, I was so
> happy.

I'm so glad everything turned out okay! Congrats on seeing the heartbeat
too--isn't it a glorious moment? Re: the constipation. I had a little bit of
trouble with constipation very early on in my pregnancy as well and I was
petrified that it would somehow make me have a miscarriage--so, I can
identify with you a bit!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Elly
July 30th 03, 07:49 PM
I agree with Andrea - it happened to me too (pain on the right side, both in
front and on the back) but I was not worried about ectopic pregnancy because
I was 19 weeks then. In my case it turned to be kidney sand (not actually
stones, since rather small and not seen on the U/S).
Basically I did the same thing you did - went in without an appt (but my
ob/gyn encourages this since she feels that mother's state of mind is very
important during pregnancy!), she did an emergency U/S, saw everything was
fine, and I also cried from relief!

I'm so glad you are fine! Take care of yourself,
Elly
30 weeks + 2 days
EDD October 6th