PDA

View Full Version : OT Has anyone here used Henna? (x-posted)

andrea
July 29th 03, 09:04 PM
I really want to use henna hair dye, but I read somewhere that once it's on
you can't get rid of it unless you grow it out.
On another site it says it last 4-6 weeks!
I am confused.

I really like the idea of using a plant extract on my hair. Also is it safe
to use when breastfeeding?

Thanks for your help.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 7

H Schinske
July 29th 03, 09:06 PM
wrote:

>I really like the idea of using a plant extract on my hair. Also is it safe
>to use when breastfeeding?

It's not terribly good for your hair, from what I've heard. I have not heard
that it's a problem for breastfeeding -- does anyone know if it makes fumes and
stuff the way other kinds of hair treatments can do?

--Helen

Minx
July 30th 03, 12:50 PM
Not only does it last until it grows out, but you can't dye on top of it, so
unless you are entirely happy with it from the outset, then you have to wait
till it grows out to be able to change it again.

Having said that, I absolutely love the smell of freshly prepared henna dye.
Not that I sniff it on a regular basis you understand......

"Welches" > wrote in message

> andrea > wrote in message
> > I really want to use henna hair dye, but I read somewhere that once it's
> on
> > you can't get rid of it unless you grow it out.
> > On another site it says it last 4-6 weeks!
> > I am confused.
> >
> > I really like the idea of using a plant extract on my hair. Also is it
> safe
> > to use when breastfeeding?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> I think Mum used it. It lasts until it grows out. If you're lightening
your
> hair, my mum found it made her hair really brittle and she stopped using
it.
> Debbie

Linz
July 30th 03, 04:16 PM
"H Schinske" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
> >I really like the idea of using a plant extract on my hair. Also is it
safe
> >to use when breastfeeding?
>
> It's not terribly good for your hair, from what I've heard. I have not
heard
> that it's a problem for breastfeeding -- does anyone know if it makes
fumes and
> stuff the way other kinds of hair treatments can do?

I can't find anything that says it's bad for hair - I used it for years and
loved the way my hair felt silky and soft. It doesn't make fumes, but
depending on what you use it really can smell incredibly earthy and if you
have the type that needs 4 or 5 hours on your head for the colour to take,
that's four or five hours of sitting around smelling of mud...

The drawbacks to henna - apart from the smell and the amount of time it may
take for the colour to develop - are that if you use it after using chemical
colourants/perm or before using chemicals on your hair, the henna can react
with the chemicals to cause unexpected colour changes, and can make your
hair brittle. The latter happened to me.