PDA

View Full Version : Trouble swallowing pills

Elizabeth A
July 31st 03, 03:29 AM
Before becoming pregnant, I was able to take any sort of horse pills,
without even needing any liquid. Well, that's changed in a big way.
It's not just the prenatal vitamins that won't go down. I can't even
swallow the folic acid, which is a small, odorless tablet.

This seems to be separate from the morning sickness. The nausea was bad
from about 8 to 14 weeks, but I was able to take my prenatals (Rainbow
Light) with no problems. Around the time that the nausea started going
away, the swallowing problem started.

The trouble seems to be only with pills, not food. It sometimes helps
to split the pills into little bits, and swallow each one with a sip of
milk or bite of food. But even that doesn't always work, and gagging
on a half-dissolved pill is no fun. :-(

Is this my body's way of saying that it doesn't want them? My
hemoglobin has always been on the high side, so I doubt I need the iron.
But I'd prefer to keep taking some of the other vitamins and minerals,
especially since I haven't regained my appetite for vegetables yet.

BTW, I tried Rainbow Light Ginger Ale Prenatal Powder and thought it was
disgusting! Metallic, and far too sweet. :-P And the regular
multivitamin powders all seem to have too much Vitamin A.

I guess my last option is the children's chewables. And I used to think
those were just for wimps! How pregnancy does deflate our egos...

- EJA
due 01/04

Crystal Dreamer
July 31st 03, 03:43 PM
I just had to reply when Elizabeth A wrote:
> Before becoming pregnant, I was able to take any sort of horse pills,
> without even needing any liquid. Well, that's changed in a big way.
> It's not just the prenatal vitamins that won't go down. I can't even
> swallow the folic acid, which is a small, odorless tablet.
>
> This seems to be separate from the morning sickness. The nausea was
> bad from about 8 to 14 weeks, but I was able to take my prenatals
> (Rainbow Light) with no problems. Around the time that the nausea
> started going away, the swallowing problem started.
>
> The trouble seems to be only with pills, not food. It sometimes helps
> to split the pills into little bits, and swallow each one with a sip
> of milk or bite of food. But even that doesn't always work, and
> gagging on a half-dissolved pill is no fun. :-(
>
> Is this my body's way of saying that it doesn't want them? My
> hemoglobin has always been on the high side, so I doubt I need the
> iron. But I'd prefer to keep taking some of the other vitamins and
> minerals, especially since I haven't regained my appetite for
> vegetables yet.
>
> BTW, I tried Rainbow Light Ginger Ale Prenatal Powder and thought it
> was disgusting! Metallic, and far too sweet. :-P And the regular
> multivitamin powders all seem to have too much Vitamin A.
>
> I guess my last option is the children's chewables. And I used to
> think those were just for wimps! How pregnancy does deflate our
> egos...
>
> - EJA
> due 01/04

I don't know any reason for this, but you're not alone! Everyday I choke &
gag on my blood pressure medication and pre-natal vitamin. I even have a
hard time swallowing tylenol, whether it's coated or not, capsule or tablet.

--
-Crystal Dreamer
http://www.livin-it-up.net

Alicia Elliott
August 1st 03, 05:53 AM
Hi there Elizabeth, I've had the same problem, but not so extreme. I can't
eat any bigger pills, like the prenatal vitamins and calcium pills. I
tried, but I just can't get them down. I was wondering if you've tried
powdering them and adding them to your regular food, that might work. I
agree about how pregnancy can deflate egos. There are so many stereotypes
and judgements about pregnant women, and now that I have been through it, I
can definitely say that I have much more respect for some of those
stereotypes. I think that is one good thing about being pregnant. : )
Good luck and hope you find a way to make it work, Alicia

jjmoreta
August 2nd 03, 12:57 AM
"Elizabeth A" > wrote in message
> Before becoming pregnant, I was able to take any sort of horse pills,
> without even needing any liquid. Well, that's changed in a big way.
> It's not just the prenatal vitamins that won't go down. I can't even
> swallow the folic acid, which is a small, odorless tablet.
>
> This seems to be separate from the morning sickness. The nausea was bad
> from about 8 to 14 weeks, but I was able to take my prenatals (Rainbow
> Light) with no problems. Around the time that the nausea started going
> away, the swallowing problem started.
>
> The trouble seems to be only with pills, not food. It sometimes helps
> to split the pills into little bits, and swallow each one with a sip of
> milk or bite of food. But even that doesn't always work, and gagging
> on a half-dissolved pill is no fun. :-(
>
> Is this my body's way of saying that it doesn't want them? My
> hemoglobin has always been on the high side, so I doubt I need the iron.
> But I'd prefer to keep taking some of the other vitamins and minerals,
> especially since I haven't regained my appetite for vegetables yet.
>
> BTW, I tried Rainbow Light Ginger Ale Prenatal Powder and thought it was
> disgusting! Metallic, and far too sweet. :-P And the regular
> multivitamin powders all seem to have too much Vitamin A.
>
> I guess my last option is the children's chewables. And I used to think
> those were just for wimps! How pregnancy does deflate our egos...
>
> - EJA
> due 01/04

I don't know the answer, but I've having the same problem that you are.
I've chalked it up to a VERY sensitive gag reflex that developed with my
initial nausea and my "super nose" (if only I had a better superpower than
smelling things that make me want to throw up from a mile away). My
allergies have exploded during this pregnancy, so I'm always coughing up
mucus and even a little bit can easily send me into a gagging fit.

Its kind of gross, but with any pill larger than my tiny Synthroid I end up
swallowing them with a gulp of water, having them come back up immediately
and then swallowing them again instantly (which usually works for good).
It's really gross and my husband looks at me funny, but its the only way I
can get my prenatal down. Can you get a prenatal with folic acid? It would
be one less pill. If you're in the US, Prenate GT (or its generic) is a
horse pill, but it has everything in it - from folic acid to a stool
softener.

The only other thing I can think of is to take the pill in a spoonful of
applesauce or pudding. I know that works with some people.

- Joanne
#1 - 25w3d