PDA

View Full Version : technical question O.T.

Bev
October 2nd 05, 05:25 PM
I am wondering if any of you computer geeks J/K :) well kindof anyway
:) would be able to answer me a question or ten about a little problem
I am having.

See Once upon a time I bought a used computer, it came with three what
they call recovery discs . Anyway one relaxed "I guess I'll play with
my computer " days, I somehow ,someway ,that i'll never know how,
deleted microsoft word, ya know the thingy that my daughter was using
to Paint and edit pictures and whatever else you use this for :)yeah
yeah, but what did I know at the time? Ummmm I need this for school see
and well I'm told It could very well be on one of these recovery discs
but I don't know what to do with them.(be nice!) :) I want to trust my
daughter "S" who says just put each one in and do what it says , but I
am skeered Ima gonna turn flourescent purple and my 'puter is gonna
explode? Anyone wanna take a chance wit me LOL! Please , please
,please. Bev

Bev
October 2nd 05, 06:45 PM
'Kate wrote:
> On 2 Oct 2005 09:25:58 -0700, "Bev" > the
> following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
>
> >I am wondering if any of you computer geeks J/K :) well kindof anyway
> >:) would be able to answer me a question or ten about a little problem
> >I am having.
> >
> >See Once upon a time I bought a used computer, it came with three what
> >they call recovery discs . Anyway one relaxed "I guess I'll play with
> >my computer " days, I somehow ,someway ,that i'll never know how,
> >deleted microsoft word, ya know the thingy that my daughter was using
> >to Paint and edit pictures and whatever else you use this for :)yeah
> >yeah, but what did I know at the time? Ummmm I need this for school see
> >and well I'm told It could very well be on one of these recovery discs
> >but I don't know what to do with them.(be nice!) :) I want to trust my
> >daughter "S" who says just put each one in and do what it says , but I
> >am skeered Ima gonna turn flourescent purple and my 'puter is gonna
> >explode? Anyone wanna take a chance wit me LOL! Please , please
> >,please. Bev
>
> You're screwed! Kidding.
>
> What operating system? 98, 98se, XP, 2000...say it's not microsoft ME.
> There are different ways to recover different systems.
>
> Have you tried doing a search for "paint" or "Word" to see if it is just
> the shortcuts and menus that were deleted and not the program?
>
> I'm not sure whether recovery disks contain programs. They usually just
> recover the operating system (I think) and whatever is part of that.
> Big help I am.
>
> Maybe there's someone better able to help. <fingers crossed>
>
> Meanwhile, back up anything that you want to save to a floppy or CD if
> you have a burner... just in case.

Ha ha ha ! lets see now ...It is XP, where would I "search" ? <looking
under monitor> :) <over in corner> :) ummm nope ? don't see it ? O.K.
seriously now ...just type "Paint" or "word" in the search box? won't
that just bring me to web sites? I'm kinda wondering now how I am gonna
get through these online classes when I am so computer illiterate and
still learning about computers..........errr burner, yep , I know there
is one of them in there , my daughter burns cd,s.....just finished
putting together a bed , now there I am sure of myself :)I think I'll
hiold off a litle longer and see if any more advice on this comes
through...meanwhile I guess I'll try typing word in the search box and
see where that takes me......

Bev
October 2nd 05, 07:03 PM
'Kate wrote:
> On 2 Oct 2005 10:45:59 -0700, "Bev" > the
> following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
>

> >> You're screwed! Kidding.
> >>
> >> What operating system? 98, 98se, XP, 2000...say it's not microsoft ME.
> >> There are different ways to recover different systems.
> >>
> >> Have you tried doing a search for "paint" or "Word" to see if it is just
> >> the shortcuts and menus that were deleted and not the program?
> >>
> >> I'm not sure whether recovery disks contain programs. They usually just
> >> recover the operating system (I think) and whatever is part of that.
> >> Big help I am.
> >>
> >> Maybe there's someone better able to help. <fingers crossed>
> >>
> >> Meanwhile, back up anything that you want to save to a floppy or CD if
> >> you have a burner... just in case.
> >

> >Ha ha ha ! lets see now ...It is XP, where would I "search" ? <looking
> >under monitor> :) <over in corner> :) ummm nope ? don't see it ? O.K.
> >seriously now ...just type "Paint" or "word" in the search box? won't
> >that just bring me to web sites? I'm kinda wondering now how I am gonna
> >get through these online classes when I am so computer illiterate and
> >still learning about computers..........errr burner, yep , I know there
> >is one of them in there , my daughter burns cd,s.....just finished
> >putting together a bed , now there I am sure of myself :)I think I'll
> >hiold off a litle longer and see if any more advice on this comes
> >through...meanwhile I guess I'll try typing word in the search box and
> >see where that takes me......
>
> Good idea... on all counts.

ahhh interesting what you find hiding in yer files ! still searching
though...

Jus' me
October 2nd 05, 08:36 PM
"Bev" wrote ...

> Ha ha ha ! lets see now ...It is XP,

then problem is solved...

get yersel a hotmail addy (if you havent already)... and a (computer)
literate friend can (by the 'Magic ' that is called 'Remote Assistance') log
onto your desktop and look for you...

Dunno if your'e on 'Dial-up' or 'Broadband'... easier and quicker with BB
but still perfectly possible on D-Up

I'd offer to do it mesel but since we dont know each other you might feel a
little iffy about giving me control over your M/c...

I'm sure 'Kate could do it for ya tho' ...

Bev
October 2nd 05, 09:13 PM
Jus' me wrote:
> "Bev" wrote ...
> >

> > Ha ha ha ! lets see now ...It is XP,
> >

> then problem is solved...
>
> get yersel a hotmail addy (if you havent already)... and a (computer)
> literate friend can (by the 'Magic ' that is called 'Remote Assistance') log
> onto your desktop and look for you...
>
> Dunno if your'e on 'Dial-up' or 'Broadband'... easier and quicker with BB
> but still perfectly possible on D-Up
>
> I'd offer to do it mesel but since we dont know each other you might feel a
> little iffy about giving me control over your M/c...

so what would someone that was mean do to my computer if I let them
have control to help me ? Who are you and are you mean ? :)

> I'm sure 'Kate could do it for ya tho' ..

I'd trust her :)
Heh heh heh I am still looking seems I really don't know what I am
looking for tho, unless it says "HEY YOU Here here I am Microsoft word
click me and your troubles are over"! I probably will not know what the
heck I am looking at. I have searched and put in "word" and " microsoft
word" and found mucho files that open up in "notebook" and most of it
looks like another language to me etc but just no sure tell tale file
that is opening for me to like reactivate it or whatever you would do
if it has disapeared from existence , I just know we did have it and I
am getting the wrap for deleting it :( I was looking at the programs to
buy and well , we go from somethuing "complete" for 150.00 to a less
complete one for 30 bucks and I sure dont know yet what I'll do. heh I
asked my older daughter to let me use hers and she said something about
an eye patch, a hook, and a jail cell ? I have acrobat reader /writer
who knows maybe it dances too? would that get me through online
classes? Bev

Jus' me
October 2nd 05, 09:50 PM
"Bev" wrote ...

> asked my older daughter to let me use hers and she said something about
> an eye patch, a hook, and a jail cell ?

Can I tell Ya a secret?

all the bestest software today can be had for free... 'Legally'

want an Office Suite?

www.openoffice.org

its a 64mb download (so you really need Broadband... or a download manager)

Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+office+software

Bev
October 2nd 05, 10:01 PM
'Kate wrote:
> On 2 Oct 2005 13:13:07 -0700, "Bev" > the
> following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
>

> >I'd trust her :)
> >Heh heh heh I am still looking seems I really don't know what I am
> >looking for tho, unless it says "HEY YOU Here here I am Microsoft word
> >click me and your troubles are over"! I probably will not know what the
> >heck I am looking at. I have searched and put in "word" and " microsoft
> >word" and found mucho files that open up in "notebook" and most of it
> >looks like another language to me etc but just no sure tell tale file
> >that is opening for me to like reactivate it or whatever you would do
> >if it has disapeared from existence , I just know we did have it and I
> >am getting the wrap for deleting it :( I was looking at the programs to
> >buy and well , we go from somethuing "complete" for 150.00 to a less
> >complete one for 30 bucks and I sure dont know yet what I'll do. heh I
> >asked my older daughter to let me use hers and she said something about
> >an eye patch, a hook, and a jail cell ? I have acrobat reader /writer
> >who knows maybe it dances too? would that get me through online
> >classes? Bev
>
> go to start, settings, control panel, add or remove *programs* and see
> if microsoft office is listed. if it is, click "change" and tell it to
> repair itself. I'm not sure if that works without an installation disk.

Ahh yes lemme tellya what I did find via your guidance :).....No
microsoft WORD but I did find Microsoft WORKS whats difference?

Bev
October 2nd 05, 10:20 PM
Bev wrote:
> 'Kate wrote:
> > On 2 Oct 2005 13:13:07 -0700, "Bev" > the
> > following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
> >

> > >I'd trust her :)
> > >Heh heh heh I am still looking seems I really don't know what I am
> > >looking for tho, unless it says "HEY YOU Here here I am Microsoft word
> > >click me and your troubles are over"! I probably will not know what the
> > >heck I am looking at. I have searched and put in "word" and " microsoft
> > >word" and found mucho files that open up in "notebook" and most of it
> > >looks like another language to me etc but just no sure tell tale file
> > >that is opening for me to like reactivate it or whatever you would do
> > >if it has disapeared from existence , I just know we did have it and I
> > >am getting the wrap for deleting it :( I was looking at the programs to
> > >buy and well , we go from somethuing "complete" for 150.00 to a less
> > >complete one for 30 bucks and I sure dont know yet what I'll do. heh I
> > >asked my older daughter to let me use hers and she said something about
> > >an eye patch, a hook, and a jail cell ? I have acrobat reader /writer
> > >who knows maybe it dances too? would that get me through online
> > >classes? Bev
> >
> > go to start, settings, control panel, add or remove *programs* and see
> > if microsoft office is listed. if it is, click "change" and tell it to
> > repair itself. I'm not sure if that works without an installation disk.
>
> Ahh yes lemme tellya what I did find via your guidance :).....No
> microsoft WORD but I did find Microsoft WORKS whats difference?

hmmm and if this is where my microsoft word use to be it is not
installed and to reinstall this Microsoft works thingy I need the
cd-rom , now if this is a part of the three cd's I was given when I
bought this thing then I may be able to retrieve it through there, but
these cd's have warnings about recovering my system will erase all
files and programs and that I should back up any files or programs I
want to save before using these cd's....so I guess that is what you
were telling me about saving stuff on cd's before I do this restore
thing. poop thats another whole new experience to ponder.

CME
October 3rd 05, 12:31 AM
"Jus' me" > wrote in message

> "Bev" wrote ...

>> asked my older daughter to let me use hers and she said something about
>> an eye patch, a hook, and a jail cell ?
>>

> Can I tell Ya a secret?
>
> all the bestest software today can be had for free... 'Legally'
>
> want an Office Suite?
>
> www.openoffice.org
>
> its a 64mb download (so you really need Broadband... or a download
> manager)
>
> Google is your friend
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+office+software

I don't mean to be rude but who are you? I'm not a fan of taking PC advice
from virtual strangers. Then again, I tend to know what I'm doing... Bev
here does not.

So Bev if you still need some help, email me or send me your MSN and I can
walk you through it.

Christine

Tiffany
October 3rd 05, 02:03 AM
"Bev" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am wondering if any of you computer geeks J/K :) well kindof anyway
> :) would be able to answer me a question or ten about a little problem
> I am having.
>
> See Once upon a time I bought a used computer, it came with three what
> they call recovery discs . Anyway one relaxed "I guess I'll play with
> my computer " days, I somehow ,someway ,that i'll never know how,
> deleted microsoft word, ya know the thingy that my daughter was using
> to Paint and edit pictures and whatever else you use this for :)yeah
> yeah, but what did I know at the time? Ummmm I need this for school see
> and well I'm told It could very well be on one of these recovery discs
> but I don't know what to do with them.(be nice!) :) I want to trust my
> daughter "S" who says just put each one in and do what it says , but I
> am skeered Ima gonna turn flourescent purple and my 'puter is gonna
> explode? Anyone wanna take a chance wit me LOL! Please , please
> ,please. Bev

If you don't find it, just have a friend burn it on a disk off their pc and
transfer it back to yours.

Jus' me
October 3rd 05, 10:16 AM
"'Kate" wrote ...

> I'm pretty sure he's a virtual non-stranger, usta post more than he has
> and had a different nick then but you'd probably recognise the old nick
> if you were here then. Confused? ME TOO!

Whoa...

You are *Good*...

Hi 'Kate ! How you?

Hi Christine... apologies for not being more upfront with a name ... but has
been a (long) while and few (if any) would remember me anyway ... Plus I
rarely read here anymore and (even more) rarely post here... .

Back to the subject in hand...(Bev)

easiest thing to do...

get someone you trust to check your machine for lost or broken shortcuts and
sort the problem via the 'Magic' of RA

if that doesnt sort it...(if the software is missing or terminally damaged)
and...

if you really *must* have M$ Word.... well second easiest thing to do is
back-up everything of 'value' on your m/c and then use the restore discs...
and if Word was part of the original setup then it will be re-installed (and
if it doesnt appear but 'Works' does... then that has a perfectly useable
'Word Processing Module' (based on Word).

OR

if you just need a 'Word' like Program or an 'Office' like suite then
OpenOffice should fit the bill...

(OpenOffice is actually the OpenSource version of Sun Microsystems 'Star
Office' and is usually the Office suite of choice in all the major Linux
Installations (there are versions of OpenOffice for Windows Linux and
Solaris... all look and function pretty much the same)

Star Office retails at around $75 (I Think)

http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/get.jsp

OpenOffice is (and will evermore remain) FREE!

http://www.openoffice.org/

HTH

.... Kate, ummmm... it was the ... that ... gave ... me ... away wasnt it?
..... heh!

Bev
October 3rd 05, 11:12 AM
CME wrote:
> "Jus' me" > wrote in message

> I don't mean to be rude but who are you? I'm not a fan of taking PC advice
> from virtual strangers. Then again, I tend to know what I'm doing... Bev
> here does not.
>
> So Bev if you still need some help, email me or send me your MSN and I can
> walk you through it.
>
> Christine

Hello Christine, Thanks for watchin' my back ! I know I have to be
careful who I trust with doing that kinda thing, and am very cautious
with the idea at all.
I may take you up on that offer and I may just give my school guy a
call and see if any word type program will do, there are, as "Jus' me"
says some free programs and even less expensive ones I could purchase .
I am thinking I probably did a darn good job of losing the one we had
in this thing.

Bev
October 3rd 05, 11:26 AM
Jus' me wrote:
> Back to the subject in hand...(Bev)
>
> easiest thing to do...
>
> get someone you trust to check your machine for lost or broken shortcuts and
> sort the problem via the 'Magic' of RA
>
> if that doesnt sort it...(if the software is missing or terminally damaged)
> and...
>
> if you really *must* have M$ Word.... well second easiest thing to do is
> back-up everything of 'value' on your m/c and then use the restore discs...
> and if Word was part of the original setup then it will be re-installed (and
> if it doesnt appear but 'Works' does... then that has a perfectly useable
> 'Word Processing Module' (based on Word).
>
> OR
>
> if you just need a 'Word' like Program or an 'Office' like suite then
> OpenOffice should fit the bill...
>
> (OpenOffice is actually the OpenSource version of Sun Microsystems 'Star
> Office' and is usually the Office suite of choice in all the major Linux
> Installations (there are versions of OpenOffice for Windows Linux and
> Solaris... all look and function pretty much the same)
>
> Star Office retails at around $75 (I Think)
>
> http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/get.jsp
>
> OpenOffice is (and will evermore remain) FREE!
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/
>
> HTH

Yes yes yes and yes I will sort out all these options you suggest and
thank you for all of this wonderful helpful advice.One more... er..
a... well 10 more :) questions!
If I choose to "back up" files and use the restore cd's, am I gonna
lose things like the AOL, firewalls, virus protection,Oh dear my
daughters "SIMS",All these will have to be re loaded ? Ya know I'll
take apart the engine of my car with no hesitation ...why does this
silly computer intimidate me ? :) Bev

Bev
October 3rd 05, 11:32 AM
Tiffany wrote:

> If you don't find it, just have a friend burn it on a disk off their pc and
> transfer it back to yours.

Hey Tiff, Well I tried getting my oldest to send me hers and she called
me a Pirate ! LOL! If I did have a friend....yeah I have one :) and she
were to burn it for me is that different than just using the original
CD and will I still be a pirate? <looking innocent> Bev

Tiffany
October 3rd 05, 01:48 PM
"Bev" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Tiffany wrote:
>

>> If you don't find it, just have a friend burn it on a disk off their pc
>> and
>> transfer it back to yours.

> Hey Tiff, Well I tried getting my oldest to send me hers and she called
> me a Pirate ! LOL! If I did have a friend....yeah I have one :) and she
> were to burn it for me is that different than just using the original
> CD and will I still be a pirate? <looking innocent> Bev

I don't know about the ethics, probably because I don't care. You bought it,
so its not like you never paid for it. I suppose you have to figure if its
'illegal' or not. lol

Bev
October 3rd 05, 02:53 PM
Tiffany wrote:
> "Bev" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Tiffany wrote:
> >

> >> If you don't find it, just have a friend burn it on a disk off their pc
> >> and
> >> transfer it back to yours.

> > Hey Tiff, Well I tried getting my oldest to send me hers and she called
> > me a Pirate ! LOL! If I did have a friend....yeah I have one :) and she
> > were to burn it for me is that different than just using the original
> > CD and will I still be a pirate? <looking innocent> Bev
> >

> I don't know about the ethics, probably because I don't care. You bought it,
> so its not like you never paid for it. I suppose you have to figure if its
> 'illegal' or not. lol

Driving away from the pump after I fill my tank is unethical too, but
just as tempting! "but officer I was thinking about how to pirate
myself a copy of Microsoft word and just forgot to pay for the gas"
rofl! oh yeah ! <cuffed> ;)

Bev
October 3rd 05, 03:04 PM
'Kate wrote:
> On 3 Oct 2005 03:32:23 -0700, "Bev" > the
> following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
>

> >Tiffany wrote:
> >

> >> If you don't find it, just have a friend burn it on a disk off their pc and
> >> transfer it back to yours.

> >Hey Tiff, Well I tried getting my oldest to send me hers and she called
> >me a Pirate ! LOL! If I did have a friend....yeah I have one :) and she
> >were to burn it for me is that different than just using the original
> >CD and will I still be a pirate? <looking innocent> Bev
>
> Technically?
> Of course you can't do that.... that would be bad. Very very bad.

My specialty is bad,I think we are getting somewhere with this !

> But if it was your disk to begin with and you were just getting it back
> from someone who was pirating and then realized that it wasn't your
> disk, then it's just a mistake.

a mistake ...yes!

> Innocent indeed. You have potential.

potential...absolutely! We are definately on to something . See what
more than one challenged mind can do! Thanks for stimulating my thought
process ........

> 'Kate

Tiffany
October 3rd 05, 07:53 PM
"Bev" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Tiffany wrote:
>> "Bev" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > Hey Tiff, Well I tried getting my oldest to send me hers and she called
>> > me a Pirate ! LOL! If I did have a friend....yeah I have one :) and she
>> > were to burn it for me is that different than just using the original
>> > CD and will I still be a pirate? <looking innocent> Bev
>> >

>> I don't know about the ethics, probably because I don't care. You bought
>> it,
>> so its not like you never paid for it. I suppose you have to figure if
>> its
>> 'illegal' or not. lol

> Driving away from the pump after I fill my tank is unethical too, but
> just as tempting! "but officer I was thinking about how to pirate
> myself a copy of Microsoft word and just forgot to pay for the gas"
> rofl! oh yeah ! <cuffed> ;)

No....driving away from the pump without paying is out-right stealing.
Burning a copy of something you already own is another story. Just my
opinion. If you never owned it, I would say its stealing.

Just so you know.... the agencies that crack down on piracy aren't to
concerned about one person burning a copy for themselves. Its those that
burn copies and resell them at high volume.

Kim
October 4th 05, 03:33 AM
"Bev" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am wondering if any of you computer geeks J/K :) well kindof anyway
> :) would be able to answer me a question or ten about a little problem
> I am having.
>
> See Once upon a time I bought a used computer, it came with three what
> they call recovery discs . Anyway one relaxed "I guess I'll play with
> my computer " days, I somehow ,someway ,that i'll never know how,
> deleted microsoft word, ya know the thingy that my daughter was using
> to Paint and edit pictures and whatever else you use this for :)yeah
> yeah, but what did I know at the time? Ummmm I need this for school see
> and well I'm told It could very well be on one of these recovery discs
> but I don't know what to do with them.(be nice!) :) I want to trust my
> daughter "S" who says just put each one in and do what it says , but I
> am skeered Ima gonna turn flourescent purple and my 'puter is gonna
> explode? Anyone wanna take a chance wit me LOL! Please , please
> ,please. Bev

I can help a bit... Try this... Go to start, run and type in 'winword' minus
the ' things... hit enter or click ok... word should open if it's
installed... Paint is actually part of your operating system... You can try
going to start and run and typing in 'mspaint' see if it opens... If you get
an error make note of it and let me know what it is...

HTH!
Kim

Kim
October 4th 05, 03:37 AM
"'Kate" > wrote in message
> On 2 Oct 2005 13:13:07 -0700, "Bev" > the
> following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
>

>>Jus' me wrote:
>>> "Bev" wrote ...

>>> then problem is solved...
>>>
>>> get yersel a hotmail addy (if you havent already)... and a (computer)
>>> literate friend can (by the 'Magic ' that is called 'Remote Assistance')
>>> log
>>> onto your desktop and look for you...
>>>
>>> Dunno if your'e on 'Dial-up' or 'Broadband'... easier and quicker with
>>> BB
>>> but still perfectly possible on D-Up
>>>
>>> I'd offer to do it mesel but since we dont know each other you might
>>> feel a
>>> little iffy about giving me control over your M/c...
>>
>>so what would someone that was mean do to my computer if I let them
>>have control to help me ? Who are you and are you mean ? :)
>>

>>> I'm sure 'Kate could do it for ya tho' ..
>>
>>I'd trust her :)
>>Heh heh heh I am still looking seems I really don't know what I am
>>looking for tho, unless it says "HEY YOU Here here I am Microsoft word
>>click me and your troubles are over"! I probably will not know what the
>>heck I am looking at. I have searched and put in "word" and " microsoft
>>word" and found mucho files that open up in "notebook" and most of it
>>looks like another language to me etc but just no sure tell tale file
>>that is opening for me to like reactivate it or whatever you would do
>>if it has disapeared from existence , I just know we did have it and I
>>am getting the wrap for deleting it :( I was looking at the programs to
>>buy and well , we go from somethuing "complete" for 150.00 to a less
>>complete one for 30 bucks and I sure dont know yet what I'll do. heh I
>>asked my older daughter to let me use hers and she said something about
>>an eye patch, a hook, and a jail cell ? I have acrobat reader /writer
>>who knows maybe it dances too? would that get me through online
>>classes? Bev
>
> go to start, settings, control panel, add or remove *programs* and see
> if microsoft office is listed. if it is, click "change" and tell it to
> repair itself. I'm not sure if that works without an installation disk.

It may or may not -- depends on how it was installed originally... You can
also look for Microsoft works (it has word included in it as well) and then
there are the stand alone versions of the word program but all will be
listed under the add/remove programs... Paint is part of the windows
components and you can actually find it in the same location only on the
left hand side click on add remove windows components... it's a check box --
It may ask for the windows disk.. Do you have that? or is it an OEM version?

Kim
October 4th 05, 03:41 AM
"CME" > wrote in message

> "Jus' me" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bev" wrote ...

>>> asked my older daughter to let me use hers and she said something about
>>> an eye patch, a hook, and a jail cell ?
>>>

>> Can I tell Ya a secret?
>>
>> all the bestest software today can be had for free... 'Legally'
>>
>> want an Office Suite?
>>
>> www.openoffice.org
>>
>> its a 64mb download (so you really need Broadband... or a download
>> manager)
>>
>> Google is your friend
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+office+software
>
> I don't mean to be rude but who are you? I'm not a fan of taking PC
> advice from virtual strangers. Then again, I tend to know what I'm
> doing... Bev here does not.
>
> So Bev if you still need some help, email me or send me your MSN and I can
> walk you through it.
>
> Christine
Actually a legit copy can be had by all -- it's a trial version and it can
be found on the microsoft web age... It will get you over the hump if
nothing else -- and you can always uninstall and reinstall the trial as time
gets down to it requiring activation...
http://www.microsoft.com/office/trial/default.mspx click on the pretty link
and download the standard edition

Kim
October 4th 05, 03:44 AM
"Bev" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Tiffany wrote:
>

>> If you don't find it, just have a friend burn it on a disk off their pc
>> and
>> transfer it back to yours.

> Hey Tiff, Well I tried getting my oldest to send me hers and she called
> me a Pirate ! LOL! If I did have a friend....yeah I have one :) and she
> were to burn it for me is that different than just using the original
> CD and will I still be a pirate? <looking innocent> Bev

Hmmmmmmm Actually what version is it? Certain versions are allowed to be
'shared' with a certain amount of computers -- MS office 2003 for students
and teachers can actually be put on 3 computers... So it's not actually
pirating...

JAT

Kim
October 4th 05, 03:45 AM
"Tiffany" > wrote in message

> "Bev" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Tiffany wrote:
>>> "Bev" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> I don't know about the ethics, probably because I don't care. You bought
>>> it,
>>> so its not like you never paid for it. I suppose you have to figure if
>>> its
>>> 'illegal' or not. lol

>> Driving away from the pump after I fill my tank is unethical too, but
>> just as tempting! "but officer I was thinking about how to pirate
>> myself a copy of Microsoft word and just forgot to pay for the gas"
>> rofl! oh yeah ! <cuffed> ;)
>>

> No....driving away from the pump without paying is out-right stealing.
> Burning a copy of something you already own is another story. Just my
> opinion. If you never owned it, I would say its stealing.
>
> Just so you know.... the agencies that crack down on piracy aren't to
> concerned about one person burning a copy for themselves. Its those that
> burn copies and resell them at high volume.

She's 100% correct

CME
October 4th 05, 04:26 AM
"'Kate" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:16:05 +0100, "Jus' me" > the
> following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
>

>>"'Kate" wrote ...
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure he's a virtual non-stranger, usta post more than he has
>>> and had a different nick then but you'd probably recognise the old nick
>>> if you were here then. Confused? ME TOO!
>>>

>>Whoa...
>>
>>You are *Good*...

LOL Dirty thoughts on that one...

> well... yeah. :-)
>

>>Hi 'Kate ! How you?
>
> Doing ok. Still picking up tree branches in the yard. You'd think it was
> a huge yard but it's not. I'm just not all that excited about getting
> things done these days.
>

> <snip>
>>... Kate, ummmm... it was the ... that ... gave ... me ... away wasnt it?
>>.... heh!
>
> LOL! Remember the days when we had nothing but ....?
> Nice to see you. How're you and the kids doing? They must both be teens
> now?
>
> Thanks for helping too.

So who is this mystery man? Is it Zorro?!

Christine

CME
October 4th 05, 06:44 AM
"'Kate" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 03:26:50 GMT, "CME" > the
> following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
>

>>So who is this mystery man? Is it Zorro?!
>
> Nope. 20 questions? :-)
>
> It's up to him... he tends to be mysterious at times but as far as I
> know, he doesn't bite.
>
> Pity, that.
>
> 'Kate

Was he before my time?

Christine

Kim
October 4th 05, 11:20 AM
"CME" > wrote in message

> "'Kate" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 03:26:50 GMT, "CME" > the
>> following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
>>

>>>So who is this mystery man? Is it Zorro?!
>>
>> Nope. 20 questions? :-)
>>
>> It's up to him... he tends to be mysterious at times but as far as I
>> know, he doesn't bite.
>>
>> Pity, that.
>>
>> 'Kate
>
> Was he before my time?
>
> Christine I'll keep score... That's TWO... 18 more to go *grin*

Jus' me
October 4th 05, 06:04 PM
"'Kate" wrote ...

after

CME wrote ...

>>So who is this mystery man? Is it Zorro?!

Hi Ho Silver Awaaa........ no wait

thats not it....

A sword...I need a sword... aint got one, will a butter knife do?

> Nope. 20 questions? :-)

ooooh goodie I like quizzes,,, do we win a prize? ( A sword mebbe...
swish!)

> It's up to him... he tends to be mysterious at times

who?...MOI?... au contraire....

I is just Shy... I is...

> but as far as I
> know, he doesn't bite.

Grrooowwwwllllll....

> Pity, that.

oh bugger... now I'm blushing...

Heh... now that we've gotten all the way to the bottom of this post I cant
remember what point I was gonna try and make...

I'll get me coat then...

CME
October 4th 05, 11:20 PM
"Jus' me" > wrote in message

> "'Kate" wrote ...
>
> after
>
> CME wrote ...
>>>
>>>So who is this mystery man? Is it Zorro?!
>>>

> Hi Ho Silver Awaaa........ no wait
>
> thats not it....
>
> A sword...I need a sword... aint got one, will a butter knife do?
>

>> Nope. 20 questions? :-)
>>

> ooooh goodie I like quizzes,,, do we win a prize? ( A sword mebbe...
> swish!)
>

>> It's up to him... he tends to be mysterious at times
>>

> who?...MOI?... au contraire....
>
> I is just Shy... I is...
>

>> but as far as I
>> know, he doesn't bite.
>>

> Grrooowwwwllllll....
>

>> Pity, that.
>>

> oh bugger... now I'm blushing...
>

> Heh... now that we've gotten all the way to the bottom of this post I cant
> remember what point I was gonna try and make...
>
> I'll get me coat then...

Are you over the pond?

Christine

(PS: This is fun! I'm so easily entertained some days.)

Bev
October 5th 05, 01:41 AM
Kim wrote:

> I can help a bit... Try this... Go to start, run and type in 'winword' minus
> the ' things... hit enter or click ok... word should open if it's
> installed... Paint is actually part of your operating system... You can try
> going to start and run and typing in 'mspaint' see if it opens... If you get
> an error make note of it and let me know what it is...
>
> HTH!
> Kim

Kim! followed your lead in "run" didn't get it but ! "winword" in
search brought up everything! now what do I do to get these files into
shortcuts on my desktop? Bev

Kim
October 5th 05, 04:05 AM
"Bev" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> 'Kate wrote:
>> On 2 Oct 2005 13:13:07 -0700, "Bev" > the
>> following was posted in blue dry erase marker:
>>

>> >I'd trust her :)
>> >Heh heh heh I am still looking seems I really don't know what I am
>> >looking for tho, unless it says "HEY YOU Here here I am Microsoft word
>> >click me and your troubles are over"! I probably will not know what the
>> >heck I am looking at. I have searched and put in "word" and " microsoft
>> >word" and found mucho files that open up in "notebook" and most of it
>> >looks like another language to me etc but just no sure tell tale file
>> >that is opening for me to like reactivate it or whatever you would do
>> >if it has disapeared from existence , I just know we did have it and I
>> >am getting the wrap for deleting it :( I was looking at the programs to
>> >buy and well , we go from somethuing "complete" for 150.00 to a less
>> >complete one for 30 bucks and I sure dont know yet what I'll do. heh I
>> >asked my older daughter to let me use hers and she said something about
>> >an eye patch, a hook, and a jail cell ? I have acrobat reader /writer
>> >who knows maybe it dances too? would that get me through online
>> >classes? Bev
>>
>> go to start, settings, control panel, add or remove *programs* and see
>> if microsoft office is listed. if it is, click "change" and tell it to
>> repair itself. I'm not sure if that works without an installation disk.
>
> Ahh yes lemme tellya what I did find via your guidance :).....No
> microsoft WORD but I did find Microsoft WORKS whats difference?

MS Works does have MS Word... Just go to start, run and type in "winword"
and click enter... word should open

Kim
October 5th 05, 04:06 AM
"CME" > wrote in message

> "Jus' me" > wrote in message
>>
>> "'Kate" wrote ...
>>
>> after
>>
>> CME wrote ...

>> Hi Ho Silver Awaaa........ no wait
>>
>> thats not it....
>>
>> A sword...I need a sword... aint got one, will a butter knife do?
>>

>>> Nope. 20 questions? :-)
>>>

>> ooooh goodie I like quizzes,,, do we win a prize? ( A sword mebbe...
>> swish!)
>>

>>> It's up to him... he tends to be mysterious at times
>>>

>> who?...MOI?... au contraire....
>>
>> I is just Shy... I is...
>>

>>> but as far as I
>>> know, he doesn't bite.
>>>

>> Grrooowwwwllllll....
>>

>>> Pity, that.
>>>

>> oh bugger... now I'm blushing...
>>

>> Heh... now that we've gotten all the way to the bottom of this post I
>> cant remember what point I was gonna try and make...
>>
>> I'll get me coat then...
>>

> Are you over the pond?
>
> Christine
>
> (PS: This is fun! I'm so easily entertained some days.)
SEVENTEEN LEFT...

Kim
October 5th 05, 04:10 AM
"Bev" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Kim wrote:
>

>> I can help a bit... Try this... Go to start, run and type in 'winword'
>> minus
>> the ' things... hit enter or click ok... word should open if it's
>> installed... Paint is actually part of your operating system... You can
>> try
>> going to start and run and typing in 'mspaint' see if it opens... If you
>> get
>> an error make note of it and let me know what it is...
>>
>> HTH!
>> Kim
>
> Kim! followed your lead in "run" didn't get it but ! "winword" in
> search brought up everything! now what do I do to get these files into
> shortcuts on my desktop? Bev

Once you have completed the search for winword find the actual executable
file... (that'll be the application better known as an exe file -- so we are
now looking for "winword.exe") Once you have that file in your sights
highlight it... Right click and choose "send to desktop as a short cut ";)
AND you are there... How did you make out with the paint program?

Zorro
October 5th 05, 12:57 PM
"CME" wrote ...

> Are you over the pond?

yeah... I'd love to keep this up, but the (eventual) answer is so
uninteresting...

I posted here a few years ago when I had care of my son...

A google search might bring up a post or 2 but I think I nuked most if not
all a couple of years ago...

used to enjoy reading stuff from people like Maureen, Katherine (The
Prof...Litherland?), Lorian (yeah ... really!) and dennis amongst
others...not forgetting the wonderfully patient Ms b.... whatever became of
Ms b?... ayone know?

> (PS: This is fun!

really?....heh ;-)

> I'm so easily entertained some days.)

and now your'e beginning to sound (scarily) like my ex-wife... ;-)

Bev
October 5th 05, 02:19 PM
Kim wrote:
> "Bev" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Kim wrote:
> >

> Once you have completed the search for winword find the actual executable
> file... (that'll be the application better known as an exe file -- so we are
> now looking for "winword.exe") Once you have that file in your sights
> highlight it... Right click and choose "send to desktop as a short cut ";)
> AND you are there... How did you make out with the paint program?

Kim !!!! I am now the happy little owner of two ! I say 2 cute little
functional shortcuts to Winworks task launcher which takes me into all
the stuff I need for school! and ....."MSPaint" which makes me the
coolest mom today !:) LOL! thank you and all of you that helped me fix
my puter ! Bev

CME
October 5th 05, 03:48 PM
"Zorro" > wrote in message

> "CME" wrote ...
>>
>> Are you over the pond?
>>

> yeah... I'd love to keep this up, but the (eventual) answer is so
> uninteresting...
>
> I posted here a few years ago when I had care of my son...
>
> A google search might bring up a post or 2 but I think I nuked most if not
> all a couple of years ago...

Oh masked man... how does one do that?

Christine

Kim
October 6th 05, 04:01 AM
"Bev" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Kim wrote:
>> "Bev" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> >
>> > Kim wrote:
>> >

>> Once you have completed the search for winword find the actual executable
>> file... (that'll be the application better known as an exe file -- so we
>> are
>> now looking for "winword.exe") Once you have that file in your sights
>> highlight it... Right click and choose "send to desktop as a short cut
>> ";)
>> AND you are there... How did you make out with the paint program?
>
> Kim !!!! I am now the happy little owner of two ! I say 2 cute little
> functional shortcuts to Winworks task launcher which takes me into all
> the stuff I need for school! and ....."MSPaint" which makes me the
> coolest mom today !:) LOL! thank you and all of you that helped me fix
> my puter ! Bev

Glad to have particpated in the birthing *grin*

Alex Nemeth
October 7th 05, 02:20 AM
On 2 Oct 2005 09:25:58 -0700, "Bev" > wrote:

>I am wondering if any of you computer geeks J/K :) well kindof anyway
>:) would be able to answer me a question or ten about a little problem
>I am having.

Maybe, Does 20 yrs of fixing computers count? :-)

>See Once upon a time I bought a used computer, it came with three what
>they call recovery discs . Anyway one relaxed "I guess I'll play with
>my computer " days, I somehow ,someway ,that i'll never know how,
>deleted microsoft word, ya know the thingy that my daughter was using
>to Paint and edit pictures and whatever else you use this for :)yeah
>yeah, but what did I know at the time? Ummmm I need this for school see
>and well I'm told It could very well be on one of these recovery discs
>but I don't know what to do with them.(be nice!) :) I want to trust my
>daughter "S" who says just put each one in and do what it says , but I
>am skeered Ima gonna turn flourescent purple and my 'puter is gonna
>explode? Anyone wanna take a chance wit me LOL! Please , please
>,please. Bev

From your description, it sounds like you may have purchased an HP
computer.

I don't know if this was mentioned as I didn't read through all the
50+ posts
Recovery Disks are just that, Recovery disks, however be advised that
if you run the recovery disks they will REPLACE everything, so any
personal files you may have had would be long gone, but your computer
will be back to when it was deilvered.

The most common problem is that you may have only deleted the shortcut
to word from your start menu,or your desktop.

Many of the PC Operating systems ( 95,98,2000,me,XP ) store their
programes in the following location C:\Program Files\??? With ???
being the name of the program.

One of the easiest ways to see if it's really gone is to do a search
for the file "Word.exe" and see if that comes up. If so then only
the shortcut has been erased, then you'll need to create a new one.

Good luck

Alex