PDA

View Full Version : Re: Midwives, Doulas, and Wal-mart

zeldabee
July 31st 03, 06:09 PM
(Henrietta Louise) wrote:
> There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
> ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
> herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

That's great. What a happy coincidence.

I had basically given up on the idea of having a doula, since they charge
so much in NYC, and I'd looked around unsuccessfully for a doula in
training. Then I went to the orientation for the birthing center I'm going
to, and the labor nurse who was teaching it happened to be a doula as well.
After talking to her, she put my info on a bulletin board or maybe it was a
mailing list...and I got a half-dozen responses, and now I've got a
volunteer doula, who in turn hooked me up with a childbirth educator who's
given me childbirth classes almost for free. With all the other stress in
my life, each one is a godsend, a huge weight off my shoulders.

Good luck with the midwife.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Astromum
July 31st 03, 06:16 PM
Henrietta Louise wrote:

> She laughs and remembers him from a month ago. She then tells me that
> her kids are the same way. It turns out she has had 9 and is pregnant
> with her 10th.

/schluck

> There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
> ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
> herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

Yay! Good for you. There must be some higher order involved here.
Sounds like it was just meant to be! I hope she has a place for
you and it all works out OK.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Circe
July 31st 03, 06:20 PM
Henrietta Louise wrote:
> There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
> ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
> herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

This is wonderful news, Henrietta. I think you'll really love having a
midwife rather than an OB.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"He [Gray Davis] be allowed to serve out his term." -- Letters to the
Editor [probably a typesetter's error, but too funny to pass up]

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Em
July 31st 03, 07:46 PM
"Henrietta Louise" > wrote in message
<snip>
> There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
> ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
> herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

What a neat moment of cosmic synchronicity! I'm very excited for you. Sounds
great!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Linz
July 31st 03, 07:54 PM
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:24:10 -0500 (CDT),
(Henrietta Louise) wrote:

>There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
>ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
>herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

I'm really pleased for you.
--
EDD 1/11/03
26 weeks

Katie Jaques
August 2nd 03, 10:47 PM
(Henrietta Louise) wrote in message >...
> So, I am in Wal-mart last night with my husband and son, trying to
> coordinate paying and negotiating my way around the two cartfuls of
> merchandise we have. I am in a pretty somber mood related to the doctor
> visit I had the day prior. And, of course we have been in the county
> seat for 4 hours doing our monthly shopping.
>
> And, my chatty, overfriendly 8-year-old starts talking to the cashier,
> and she helps him put together the small, hand-held fan he purchased.
>
> She laughs and remembers him from a month ago. She then tells me that
> her kids are the same way. It turns out she has had 9 and is pregnant
> with her 10th.
>
> She asks which doctor I am seeing. At this point, my husband laughs and
> says, "Do you know any good ones?" She tells me that she has seen "the
> overbooked doctor" for some tests in early pregnancy, because her last
> pregnancy had some complications.
>
> I said, " I looked in the phonebook for some doulas or midwives. There
> are none to be found."
>
> She says casually, "Oh, I'm a doula. But, there is a midwife in <insert
> the name of my tiny, 1-grocery store, 2-bank town here>."
>
> She and I talked for another ten minutes, and I got her telephone
> number. I gave my son a huge hug and am forever grateful that he loves
> to talk. If it had just been me, I would have politely but quickly paid
> for my stuff and left.
>
> There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
> ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
> herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

What a great story. I couldn't tell you how many times I have learned
something I would never have known if I had not had a talkative,
questioning child in tow!

My daughter Barbara (Circe) may already have mentioned this, but my
mother's name was Henrietta Louise. Louise is my middle name,
Barbara's middle name, and the middle name of her daughter, Aurora.

Grandma Katie
Mom to Barbara (Circe), Grandma to Julian, Aurora & Vernon