PDA

View Full Version : lower abdomen pain

jyotsna
August 1st 03, 08:48 PM
I was confirmed 5 weeks pregnant last week. During my first visit to
the doctor's office, the doctor just did the pregnancy test, check my
blood pressure and weight. She precribed 1mg folic acid and prenatal
vitamins.
Since my visit, I have been having pain (more like very uncomfortable
feeling) only on my lower left abdomen. The pain comes almost everyday
and last just a couple of hours and goes off. After reading regaring
Ectopic pregnancy, I am a little worried. I would like to take early
precautions. However there is no spotting.
I have 2 questions:
1. Is just blood pressure and weight check adequate during pregnant.
What kind of other check is done during first trimester pregnancy.
Should I insist that the doctor makes sure that the baby is in the
right place?
2. Is it normal to feel slight pain on only one side? Should I wait
until my next appointment and not panic unless there is spotting or
bleeding?
Any answer will be helpful.
Thank you in advance.

Ericka Kammerer
August 1st 03, 09:41 PM
jyotsna wrote:

> I was confirmed 5 weeks pregnant last week. During my first visit to
> the doctor's office, the doctor just did the pregnancy test, check my
> blood pressure and weight. She precribed 1mg folic acid and prenatal
> vitamins.
> Since my visit, I have been having pain (more like very uncomfortable
> feeling) only on my lower left abdomen. The pain comes almost everyday
> and last just a couple of hours and goes off. After reading regaring
> Ectopic pregnancy, I am a little worried. I would like to take early
> precautions. However there is no spotting.
> I have 2 questions:
> 1. Is just blood pressure and weight check adequate during pregnant.
> What kind of other check is done during first trimester pregnancy.
> Should I insist that the doctor makes sure that the baby is in the
> right place?

Under normal circumstances, weight really isn't all that
important. Blood pressure is usually good to get a baseline
for later pregnancy. Most caregivers also check urine for
at least protein and glucose.
If there are symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy, then
a sonogram may be necessary to rule that out.

> 2. Is it normal to feel slight pain on only one side? Should I wait
> until my next appointment and not panic unless there is spotting or
> bleeding?

I would call and ask your caregiver. It could be perfectly
normal, but depending on the precise circumstances it might also
be something you need to have checked out. Lack of spotting
doesn't necessarily rule out an ectopic pregnancy. Don't panic,
because there are a lot of perfectly normal things that can
cause that sort of pain, even just on one side, and they're more
likely than an ectopic pregnancy. It's just that you *really*
don't want an ectopic pregnancy to rupture on you, so if it seems
like that's a possibility you'd want to have it checked.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Kereru
August 1st 03, 09:43 PM
"jyotsna" > wrote in message
om...
> I was confirmed 5 weeks pregnant last week. During my first visit to
> the doctor's office, the doctor just did the pregnancy test, check my
> blood pressure and weight. She precribed 1mg folic acid and prenatal
> vitamins.
> Since my visit, I have been having pain (more like very uncomfortable
> feeling) only on my lower left abdomen. The pain comes almost everyday
> and last just a couple of hours and goes off. After reading regaring
> Ectopic pregnancy, I am a little worried. I would like to take early
> precautions. However there is no spotting.
> I have 2 questions:
> 1. Is just blood pressure and weight check adequate during pregnant.
> What kind of other check is done during first trimester pregnancy.
> Should I insist that the doctor makes sure that the baby is in the
> right place?
> 2. Is it normal to feel slight pain on only one side? Should I wait
> until my next appointment and not panic unless there is spotting or
> bleeding?

Sounds like constipation (this can really hurt) or ligament stretching pain
(ligaments supporting th uterus start to stretch) this has always been my
first pregnancy symptom.
However there is of course the slight risk of ectopic so I'd get it checked
to put your mind at rest.

Good Luck :-)

Judy

Astromum
August 1st 03, 11:25 PM
jyotsna wrote:
> I have 2 questions:
> 1. Is just blood pressure and weight check adequate during pregnant.
> What kind of other check is done during first trimester pregnancy.
> Should I insist that the doctor makes sure that the baby is in the
> right place?

In the Netherlands there are no checks at all during the first trimester
of pregnancy, at least for healthy women who conceived the natural way.
The reason being that there isn't much you can do if things go wrong,
and many tests do not give a conclusive result anyway.

However, if you feel unsure, you can *always* call a midwife or OB/GYN.
I'd recommend a midwife over a real doc, they tend to be more down
to earth when it comes to care giving.

> 2. Is it normal to feel slight pain on only one side? Should I wait
> until my next appointment and not panic unless there is spotting or
> bleeding?

Most likely you are experiencing ligament pains: a stretching of
the muscles that hold your uterus. It feels the same as your muscles
feel after you have done to much exercise (genuine muscle pain).
If you think it is different, call a midwife/dr and let them check.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

The Huwe Family
August 2nd 03, 03:43 AM
I had some intense pains right after I got pregnant. It felt like strong
cramps. It worried me, but everytime I spoke to the doctor, they told me
that it was normal. Of course, later I found out that I was pregnant with
TRIPLETS (due in 8 wks) and some of the pain was understandable (body
stretching 3x faster than normal.)

Gayle
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> jyotsna wrote:
>
> > I was confirmed 5 weeks pregnant last week. During my first visit to
> > the doctor's office, the doctor just did the pregnancy test, check my
> > blood pressure and weight. She precribed 1mg folic acid and prenatal
> > vitamins.
> > Since my visit, I have been having pain (more like very uncomfortable
> > feeling) only on my lower left abdomen. The pain comes almost everyday
> > and last just a couple of hours and goes off. After reading regaring
> > Ectopic pregnancy, I am a little worried. I would like to take early
> > precautions. However there is no spotting.
> > I have 2 questions:
> > 1. Is just blood pressure and weight check adequate during pregnant.
> > What kind of other check is done during first trimester pregnancy.
> > Should I insist that the doctor makes sure that the baby is in the
> > right place?
>

> Under normal circumstances, weight really isn't all that
> important. Blood pressure is usually good to get a baseline
> for later pregnancy. Most caregivers also check urine for
> at least protein and glucose.
> If there are symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy, then
> a sonogram may be necessary to rule that out.
>

> > 2. Is it normal to feel slight pain on only one side? Should I wait
> > until my next appointment and not panic unless there is spotting or
> > bleeding?
>

> I would call and ask your caregiver. It could be perfectly
> normal, but depending on the precise circumstances it might also
> be something you need to have checked out. Lack of spotting
> doesn't necessarily rule out an ectopic pregnancy. Don't panic,
> because there are a lot of perfectly normal things that can
> cause that sort of pain, even just on one side, and they're more
> likely than an ectopic pregnancy. It's just that you *really*
> don't want an ectopic pregnancy to rupture on you, so if it seems
> like that's a possibility you'd want to have it checked.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Kereru
August 3rd 03, 10:39 AM
"Carol Ann" > wrote in message
> ::I was confirmed 5 weeks pregnant last week.
>
> I'm not sure how far along I am, but I'm thinking about the same.
>
> ::I have been having pain (more like very uncomfortable
> ::feeling) only on my lower left abdomen. The pain comes almost everyday
> ::and last just a couple of hours and goes off. After reading regaring
> ::Ectopic pregnancy, I am a little worried. I would like to take early
> ::precautions. However there is no spotting.
>
> I'm having the same pain! It seems to be in my ovary area. I am worried
> about an ectopic pregnancy, too. I still haven't had my first OB exam,
but
> will be sure to mention it.

I may be wrong but I have heard that you can get a cyst on the ovary where
the corpus luteum is and that it goes away as the placenta starts to take
over (gradually from 6-12 weeks.

Judy

Carol Ann
August 3rd 03, 04:31 PM
::::: I was confirmed 5 weeks pregnant last week.
:::
::: I'm not sure how far along I am, but I'm thinking about the same.
:::
::::: I have been having pain (more like very uncomfortable
::::: feeling) only on my lower left abdomen. The pain comes almost everyday
::::: and last just a couple of hours and goes off. After reading regaring
::::: Ectopic pregnancy, I am a little worried. I would like to take early
::::: precautions. However there is no spotting.
:::
::: I'm having the same pain! It seems to be in my ovary area. I am
worried
::: about an ectopic pregnancy, too. I still haven't had my first OB exam,
but
::: will be sure to mention it.
::
:: I may be wrong but I have heard that you can get a cyst on the ovary
where
:: the corpus luteum is and that it goes away as the placenta starts to take
:: over (gradually from 6-12 weeks.
::
:: Judy

What would happen if that were the case? Surgery?

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

jjmoreta
August 3rd 03, 05:41 PM
"Kereru" > wrote in message

> "Carol Ann" > wrote in message
> > ::I was confirmed 5 weeks pregnant last week.
> >
> > I'm not sure how far along I am, but I'm thinking about the same.
> >
> > ::I have been having pain (more like very uncomfortable
> > ::feeling) only on my lower left abdomen. The pain comes almost everyday
> > ::and last just a couple of hours and goes off. After reading regaring
> > ::Ectopic pregnancy, I am a little worried. I would like to take early
> > ::precautions. However there is no spotting.
> >
> > I'm having the same pain! It seems to be in my ovary area. I am
worried
> > about an ectopic pregnancy, too. I still haven't had my first OB exam,
> but
> > will be sure to mention it.
>
> I may be wrong but I have heard that you can get a cyst on the ovary where
> the corpus luteum is and that it goes away as the placenta starts to take
> over (gradually from 6-12 weeks.
>
> Judy

I was worried about possibly having a corpus luteum cyst because of
suspected polycystic ovaries to begin with. I was having extreme stabbing
burning pain on one side when I would move certain ways. I consulted my ob
at my next appointment, who said she would only suspect a corpus luteum cyst
if the pain was CONTINUOUS (staying still and while moving, or while sitting
down, lying down, or standing). And you know what she said it really was?
Round ligament pain. And she was right. I've had several episodes since,
usually in different places. Its just one of the painful things with
pregnancy. If you do have a corpus luteum cyst, they will only operate if
it becomes excessively large or does not go away after the placenta takes
over. In most cases, they will only monitor you.

And how do you rule out ectopic pregnancy? Here are the symptoms:
- Persistent and severe one-sided pain in your abdomen
- Shoulder-tip pain (felt especially when you lie down)
- Pain when you use the bathroom (especially defecation)
- Sickness and diarrhea
- Fainting, light-headedness, feeling that something is wrong
- Abnormal bleeding

Most women seek help between weeks 4-10 of pregnancy, most commonly between
weeks 6-7. 90% of cases present with a cramp-like, colicky pain in the
lower abdomen which may be confused with appendicitis. The pain is worse on
movement and usually precedes any bleeding. 75% of cases present with red
or brown bleeding.

As long as you only have pain and none of the other symptoms, I would bring
up your concerns at your next appointment. If you are worried, I would call
your doctor. If you are bleeding, fainting, or worse, I would go to the
emergency room immediately. The only way to rule out an ectopic pregnancy
is via ultrasound and your doctor will probably decide if its warranted or
not.

In most cases, any sharp stabbing abdominal pain you feel are those darn
round ligaments (when they stretch and move around they can tug on nerves).
I've had pain so bad I wanted to scream before. Talk to your doctor about
your concerns and try not to worry. 8)

- Joanne
#1 - 25w5d

Carol Ann
August 3rd 03, 06:07 PM
[...]
:: #1 - 25w5d

Joanne,

Thank you for your very detailed reply. I am feeling more confident now. I
watched Pregnancy for Dummies (the 1st and 2nd trimesters) last nite on dvd.
Very informative, but did not address these types of questions.

I'm sure I'll have more questions!!! Thanks again!

~Carol Ann
Firsttime pregnancy at 39. Will be 40 (g-d willing) when I deliver. Wowee!
Still can't believe it. I'm guesstimating about 6 weeks pregnant with a due
date in March. I'll let you know later!

jjmoreta
August 4th 03, 04:04 AM
"Carol Ann" > wrote in message

*snipped*

> Joanne,
>
> Thank you for your very detailed reply. I am feeling more confident now.
> watched Pregnancy for Dummies (the 1st and 2nd trimesters) last nite on
dvd.
> Very informative, but did not address these types of questions.
>
> I'm sure I'll have more questions!!! Thanks again!
>
> ~Carol Ann
> Firsttime pregnancy at 39. Will be 40 (g-d willing) when I deliver.
Wowee!
> Still can't believe it. I'm guesstimating about 6 weeks pregnant with a
due
> date in March. I'll let you know later!

Ask away! I'm so glad that I have the internet as a resource (I'm
technically a first-timer too since this is the farthest along I've been in
3 pregnancies). Another great source is the pregnancy forum at
http://forums.obgyn.net. If you don't find your answer here or by searching
the forum, you can post a question to the doctors and RNs that read the
board.

Just be careful how far you read into the wealth of internet pregnancy
knowledge - almost every pregnancy symptom seems to also be a symptom of
some horrible pregnancy disaster waiting to happen. I had the ectopic or
luteal cyst scare too. I still read about some birth defect I've never
heard of before and have to convince myself that the baby is okay
(especially since I don't get another u/s). It's easier the farther you get
along, though.

The most important thing you can do is to have faith that everything will be
okay, since that's all you really can do (which is really hard during the
first trimester, I'll be the first to admit).

- Joanne
25w5d

jyotsna
August 4th 03, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the answers.
I decided to call my doctor on Saturday and told her about the pain.
She made a scan on Saturday and she said I should not wait until
Monday. Looks like the baby is at the right place.The sac could be
seen and its only 9mm. She also checked my ovaries and said they look
fine (no syst). She told me the pain could either be constipation or
ligments being pulled and that is quite normal during pregnancy. She
said that as the pain is not where the ovaries and uterus is, it omits
out problems there. My pain is far to the left almost close to hip
bone. I guess I can relax now and put my mind off ectopic pregnancy.
I too find it odd that the ligaments are pulled only on one side and I
don't have constipation. My pain does not reduce when sitting or lying
down.
Jyotsna

"Mom2B" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Jyotsna,
>
> I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have the same pain/uncomfortable feeling you
> describe on my lower left abdomen. I have been having these pains the start
> of my second trimester and like you say they come and go. I feel better if
> I'm sitting down or lying down rather than standing up.
>
> My doc tells me its either likely to be constipation (which I don't feel I
> am!) or ligaments stretching (If this is the case then I still don't
> understand why the pain is always on the same side).
>
> Get it checked out but don't worry too much!
>
> Anika,
> EDD 12-Jan-04

Tiina News
August 6th 03, 09:00 AM
jyotsna wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Thanks for all the answers.
> I decided to call my doctor on Saturday and told her about the pain.
> She made a scan on Saturday and she said I should not wait until
> Monday. Looks like the baby is at the right place.The sac could be
> seen and its only 9mm. She also checked my ovaries and said they look
> fine (no syst). She told me the pain could either be constipation or
> ligments being pulled and that is quite normal during pregnancy. She
> said that as the pain is not where the ovaries and uterus is, it omits
> out problems there. My pain is far to the left almost close to hip
> bone. I guess I can relax now and put my mind off ectopic pregnancy.
> I too find it odd that the ligaments are pulled only on one side and I
> don't have constipation. My pain does not reduce when sitting or lying
> down.
> Jyotsna

I had pain like that around 5 or 6 weeks with both my pregnancies, and
it was intestinal. It wasn't constipation as such, just my dinner
reaching a certain point, I guess! Both times, the pain was bad enough
to freak me out and make me think m/c or ectopic, even though I knew to
expect it the second time. But I figured out it was always about two
hours after my biggest meal of the day, and I was told there's some kind
of a twist in the intestines on the left side.

Anyway, the pain went away after a couple of days, ans everything was
fine, as it seems to be with you.

The best of luck,

Tiina
SAHM to Emilia,4