PDA

View Full Version : Fundal Height 31 at 33 weeks

Kathy
August 1st 03, 08:50 PM
Hello--

I had an OB appointment this morning and found out that I am measuring
small for my stage of pregnancy...I am 33 weeks along (34 on Monday) and
measuring at 31 cm.

OB told me that this really isn't anything to worry about, that it could
just be the way I "hold" the baby and that they start to worry when the
measurements are 4 cm off in either direction (I am 2 off). However she
said that I needed to go for an Ultrasound (my 2nd one) just to make
sure that everything is okay...that the baby is measuring as he/she
should, there is enough amniotic fluid, etc. I'm going for that on
Tuesday. She also said that I should be resting on my left side for at
least an hour a day.

She told me not to worry...but of course what am I doing? Worrying my
head off!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? And how did it turn out? Do
I need to worry?

Just looking for some reassurance or some similar experiences you might
have...

Thanks everyone,
Kathy

cloud nine
August 1st 03, 09:26 PM
Hi Kathy!

I remember worrying about the same thing. I was also off by 2 or 3 cms.
But I had a full term 7 lb 8 oz. baby. Doctor said it might have been the
way he was laying or positioned.

I'm sure everything is fine!!

:)
Sue

Daye
August 1st 03, 09:50 PM
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:50:31 -0500 (CDT), (Kathy)
wrote:

>Has anyone else had a similar experience? And how did it turn out? Do
>I need to worry?

I had a different experience. My baby measured bigger than what I
was. At 32 weeks, I was measuring at 34 weeks, etc. Granted, I had
the baby at 36 weeks 6 days, but my baby only weighted 5 pounds.

I wouldn't worry.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

Ericka Kammerer
August 1st 03, 10:39 PM
Kathy wrote:

> Hello--
>
> I had an OB appointment this morning and found out that I am measuring
> small for my stage of pregnancy...I am 33 weeks along (34 on Monday) and
> measuring at 31 cm.
>
> OB told me that this really isn't anything to worry about, that it could
> just be the way I "hold" the baby and that they start to worry when the
> measurements are 4 cm off in either direction (I am 2 off). However she
> said that I needed to go for an Ultrasound (my 2nd one) just to make
> sure that everything is okay...that the baby is measuring as he/she
> should, there is enough amniotic fluid, etc. I'm going for that on
> Tuesday. She also said that I should be resting on my left side for at
> least an hour a day.
>
> She told me not to worry...but of course what am I doing? Worrying my
> head off!
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience? And how did it turn out? Do
> I need to worry?

You *certainly* don't need to worry on this account. Your
measurements are definitely in the normal range. I can see how
you'd start worrying, though, as you're clearly getting mixed
messages with your doctor saying it's within the normal range
on one hand but you need an u/s on the other ;-) I've been off
by 2+cm several times over three pregnancies and there's never
been a problem.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Phoebe & Allyson
August 2nd 03, 02:46 AM
Kathy wrote:

> OB told me that this really isn't anything to worry about, that it could
> just be the way I "hold" the baby and that they start to worry when the
> measurements are 4 cm off in either direction (I am 2 off).

I was small by 5 cm at one appointment, and was routinely
small by 3-4 cm. Caterpillar was 95th percentile for length
and 75th percentile for weight when she was born -- she just
never was anywhere close to the measurement point.

> And how did it turn out? Do I need to worry?

Healthy, happy baby. No complications at all. I wouldn't
worry if I were you.

Phoebe :)

Maxixe
August 2nd 03, 02:12 PM
Well, I had the same thing happen. During the last several weeks I
started to measure smaller than the weeks that I was pregnant and I
was told not to worry about it. They probably don't know for sure if
it is an indicator of the baby's size or just the way the body of the
mother is carrying it anyway. My baby did end up being smaller than
expected though. More than a pound smaller than my first baby (who was
also 3 weeks early) and he was on time, right on the due date. But
don't worry about it, I was measuring about 4 cm smaller than I
expected and I still had a baby that is considered normal in size (he
was 6 lbs. 11 oz). He is 4 mos. old now and he's really healthy and
chubby (still in the 5th percentile for weight and height, but that
may be just genes on his dad's side of the family dominating - they
are Mediterranean and mostly under 5'8" - my family is Northern
European and mostly tall).

Don't let it worry you. I think what bothered me the most was that
people were constantly commenting the last month or so that I didn't
look like I was due soon because my stomach was small. After he was
born and smaller than many babies, people were talking about how small
he looked, but to me he looks big and he is outgrowing his clothes and
thriving so I am thankful about that. Eat well, rest, relax and just
do the best you can - like I did - and the rest is out of your hands!

(Kathy) wrote in message >...
> Hello--
>
> I had an OB appointment this morning and found out that I am measuring
> small for my stage of pregnancy...I am 33 weeks along (34 on Monday) and
> measuring at 31 cm.
>
> OB told me that this really isn't anything to worry about, that it could
> just be the way I "hold" the baby and that they start to worry when the
> She told me not to worry...but of course what am I doing? Worrying my
> head off!
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience? And how did it turn out? Do
> I need to worry?
> Thanks everyone,
> Kathy

The Huwe Family
August 2nd 03, 03:23 PM
Gee, 2 weeks ago (at 24 wks) I measured at a 40 week pregnancy. ;o) And
I've got a ways to go.

hee hee

Gayle

"Kathy" > wrote in message

> Hello--
>
> I had an OB appointment this morning and found out that I am measuring
> small for my stage of pregnancy...I am 33 weeks along (34 on Monday) and
> measuring at 31 cm.
>
> OB told me that this really isn't anything to worry about, that it could
> just be the way I "hold" the baby and that they start to worry when the
> measurements are 4 cm off in either direction (I am 2 off). However she
> said that I needed to go for an Ultrasound (my 2nd one) just to make
> sure that everything is okay...that the baby is measuring as he/she
> should, there is enough amniotic fluid, etc. I'm going for that on
> Tuesday. She also said that I should be resting on my left side for at
> least an hour a day.
>
> She told me not to worry...but of course what am I doing? Worrying my
> head off!
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience? And how did it turn out? Do
> I need to worry?
>
> Just looking for some reassurance or some similar experiences you might
> have...
>
> Thanks everyone,
> Kathy

Sidheag McCormack
August 4th 03, 08:10 PM
Take a tape measure and try measuring your own fundal height several times
hours apart - it's not hard. I find mine varies by up to about 4cm
depending on exactly how the baby is lying, which really brings it home
that there's no point in putting a lot of weight on one measurement! Try
not to worry.

Sidheag
edd Oct 13th

Kathy
August 4th 03, 09:15 PM
Just wanted to take a minute to thank you all for your responses...I
feel very reassured that all is fine with the baby.

Even though I haven't been an "active" member of this group (I read a
lot, but post only occasionally) it has really been a huge help to me
over the past few months. So thank you everyone! I don't know how I
would've made it through without you...

Thanks again-
Kathy