PDA

View Full Version : Paint fumes

Kereru
August 2nd 03, 09:27 AM
Hello all, anyone know what the story is about paint fumes in pregnancy? I
was going to paint my sons room tommorow and someone asked me if it was okay
when I am pregnant (30 weeks) and I hadn't even thought about it! I know a
bit dumb but I'm very excited about getting the room done.

It's new paint so lead free, the room will be well ventilated while we do
it, anybody know if it's okay?

Thanks in advance

Judy

Buzzy Bee
August 2nd 03, 09:46 AM
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 20:27:13 +1200, "Kereru" >
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
>It's new paint so lead free, the room will be well ventilated while we do
>it, anybody know if it's okay?

You should be OK with acrylic if its low odour and the room is well
ventilated. You'll probably find you can't bear doing the gloss (if
you're doing the woodwork) which is also supposed to be a bit dodgier.

If you need to take a break you can always put the rollers/brushes in
the freezer (in a plastic bag!) and they won't dry out (got that one
off an old Mitre 10 ad, probably before you were in NZ (since it was
before I moved here)).

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)
Seoras' story: http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Kereru
August 2nd 03, 11:34 AM
"Buzzy Bee" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 20:27:13 +1200, "Kereru" >
> wrote:
> but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
> >It's new paint so lead free, the room will be well ventilated while we do
> >it, anybody know if it's okay?
>
> You should be OK with acrylic if its low odour and the room is well
> ventilated. You'll probably find you can't bear doing the gloss (if
> you're doing the woodwork) which is also supposed to be a bit dodgier.
>
> If you need to take a break you can always put the rollers/brushes in
> the freezer (in a plastic bag!) and they won't dry out (got that one
> off an old Mitre 10 ad, probably before you were in NZ (since it was
> before I moved here)).
>
> Megan
> --
> Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset
(homebirth)
> Seoras' story: http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
>
> To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Thanks for that. I have done a bit of research on the net and got the usual
"there hasn't been much research done... blah blah" So have decided that I
will let my husband do it. Oh dear what a shame :-)

The little ratbag is spending the day with his Grandparents so I will have
to do some gardening or wash the baby clothes to ocupy myself.. again, what
a shame.

Good Luck with the dreaded 2WW by the way, I had eighteen months of them
(2WWs) before Hamish so I know what it's like :-)

Judy

The Huwe Family
August 2nd 03, 06:00 PM
I think the thing that everyone is concerned with is the tetrogens (I think
that's what their called) in the fumes. The mother breathes them in and
they go straight to the baby causing problems. I tried to get a paint
stripper to refinish a crib we were given but couldn't find anything that
was non-toxic (only environmentally safe which isn't the same thing.) My
husband ended up stripping the crib.

I think you made a wise decision to leave it up to someone else. I think
it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Gayle

"Kereru" > wrote in message
> Hello all, anyone know what the story is about paint fumes in pregnancy? I
> was going to paint my sons room tommorow and someone asked me if it was
okay
> when I am pregnant (30 weeks) and I hadn't even thought about it! I know a
> bit dumb but I'm very excited about getting the room done.
>
> It's new paint so lead free, the room will be well ventilated while we do
> it, anybody know if it's okay?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Judy

na
August 15th 03, 03:44 PM
Acrylic paint is fine, just have a window open. I asked my doctor and he
said its fine but he did give me a strong word of warning that I will pass
on to you..
NO OIL BASED PAINTS. led or not they are toxic and not safe at all.
(OT) ... what colour are you painting it? Im doing my baby room as well and
I like to hear what others are doing :D

"Kereru" > wrote in message
> Hello all, anyone know what the story is about paint fumes in pregnancy? I
> was going to paint my sons room tommorow and someone asked me if it was
okay
> when I am pregnant (30 weeks) and I hadn't even thought about it! I know a
> bit dumb but I'm very excited about getting the room done.
>
> It's new paint so lead free, the room will be well ventilated while we do
> it, anybody know if it's okay?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Judy

KR
August 15th 03, 05:52 PM
We're doing ours in a neutral beige color but I was thinking lately
that maybe I'll do the trim in a nice blue (for a boy or a girl) and
maybe do a faux-finish type border around the middle using the blue on
the beige with a sponge. Maybe I am being way too ambitious for
someone who is 28.5 weeks pregnant though! :)

"na" > wrote in message >...
> Acrylic paint is fine, just have a window open. I asked my doctor and he
> said its fine but he did give me a strong word of warning that I will pass
> on to you..
> NO OIL BASED PAINTS. led or not they are toxic and not safe at all.
> (OT) ... what colour are you painting it? Im doing my baby room as well and
> I like to hear what others are doing :D
>
> "Kereru" > wrote in message
> > Hello all, anyone know what the story is about paint fumes in pregnancy? I
> > was going to paint my sons room tommorow and someone asked me if it was
> okay
> > when I am pregnant (30 weeks) and I hadn't even thought about it! I know a
> > bit dumb but I'm very excited about getting the room done.
> >
> > It's new paint so lead free, the room will be well ventilated while we do
> > it, anybody know if it's okay?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Judy

KR
August 15th 03, 05:57 PM
Paint stripper is bad for non-pregnant people, but it is nothing like
paint. THings to avoid would be paint stripper, stains, oil-based
paints, and all the chemicals used to clean up after oil based paint
and stain.

Latex (water-based) paint has low fumes these days and I've seen lots
of people on decorating shows use it while pregnant. I am helping to
paint our nursery since Dh was constantly calling me in anyways. It
was his first paint job so I decided if I was going to be in the room
all the time monitoring his work, I might as well pull on some old
clothes and help out!

"The Huwe Family" > wrote in message >...
> I think the thing that everyone is concerned with is the tetrogens (I think
> that's what their called) in the fumes. The mother breathes them in and
> they go straight to the baby causing problems. I tried to get a paint
> stripper to refinish a crib we were given but couldn't find anything that
> was non-toxic (only environmentally safe which isn't the same thing.) My
> husband ended up stripping the crib.
>
> I think you made a wise decision to leave it up to someone else. I think
> it's always better to be safe than sorry.
>
> Gayle
>
> "Kereru" > wrote in message
> > Hello all, anyone know what the story is about paint fumes in pregnancy? I
> > was going to paint my sons room tommorow and someone asked me if it was
> okay
> > when I am pregnant (30 weeks) and I hadn't even thought about it! I know a
> > bit dumb but I'm very excited about getting the room done.
> >
> > It's new paint so lead free, the room will be well ventilated while we do
> > it, anybody know if it's okay?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Judy

na
August 15th 03, 08:58 PM
OOO sounds nice, yeah im at 27.5 weeks and even I wouldnt tackle a faux
finish lol... be careful, you dont want the job half done... maybe you want
to pick an accent wall? I dont know about your husband but I wouldnt trust
mine to do the job... he has this "meh, its good enough" mentality he he he.

"KR" > wrote in message
om...
> We're doing ours in a neutral beige color but I was thinking lately
> that maybe I'll do the trim in a nice blue (for a boy or a girl) and
> maybe do a faux-finish type border around the middle using the blue on
> the beige with a sponge. Maybe I am being way too ambitious for
> someone who is 28.5 weeks pregnant though! :)
>

> "na" > wrote in message
> > Acrylic paint is fine, just have a window open. I asked my doctor and he
> > said its fine but he did give me a strong word of warning that I will
pass
> > on to you..
> > NO OIL BASED PAINTS. led or not they are toxic and not safe at all.
> > (OT) ... what colour are you painting it? Im doing my baby room as well
and
> > I like to hear what others are doing :D
> >
> > "Kereru" > wrote in message
> > > Hello all, anyone know what the story is about paint fumes in
pregnancy? I
> > > was going to paint my sons room tommorow and someone asked me if it
was
> > okay
> > > when I am pregnant (30 weeks) and I hadn't even thought about it! I
know a
> > > bit dumb but I'm very excited about getting the room done.
> > >
> > > It's new paint so lead free, the room will be well ventilated while we
do
> > > it, anybody know if it's okay?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > Judy

Kereru
August 16th 03, 03:47 AM
"na" > wrote in message
. ca...
> Acrylic paint is fine, just have a window open. I asked my doctor and he
> said its fine but he did give me a strong word of warning that I will pass
> on to you..
> NO OIL BASED PAINTS. led or not they are toxic and not safe at all.
> (OT) ... what colour are you painting it? Im doing my baby room as well
and
> I like to hear what others are doing :D

Thanks for the advice, we are renting our house at the moment so we used a
yellow/cream paint that my MIL had left over (didn't want to spend money on
someone elses house). It was actually our toddler room we were doing. He has
all his favourite thing in there like a bird poster and a dinosaur poster.
Even more fun than doing a nursery in my opinion because you have a little
personality to work with.

We sent him to his Grandparents for the day while we did it and when we
revealed it to him and he stood and said "wow cool" about 100 times, I think
I actually cried!

Judy