PDA

View Full Version : Re: FAO Beth Kevles

Hillary Israeli
October 14th 05, 06:39 PM
In >,
arachne > wrote:

*> The difference between an allergy and an intolerance is basically
*> semantics. It's tending towards allergies being things that yield hives
*> and possible anaphylaxis, whereas intolerances yield stomach pain,
*> failure to thrive, bleeding in the gut, behavioral changes, etc.
*
*well, not really. an allergy is the immune system producing ige antibodies
*to a food protein which it incorrectly views as a poison.

I'm with you...

*an intolerance is a build up of the chemicals in certain food (like amines
*or salicylates). once the body reaches it's threshold of the chemical,
*intolerance symptoms can occur.

Not necessarily. You can be intolerant of, for example, lactose... and if
your intolerance were severe enough, it could become life-threatening
(if, for example, you were an infant, suffering diarrhea and large-bowel
bleeding)!

-h.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

arachne
October 16th 05, 12:14 AM
"Hillary Israeli" > wrote in message

> Not necessarily. You can be intolerant of, for example, lactose... and if
> your intolerance were severe enough, it could become life-threatening
> (if, for example, you were an infant, suffering diarrhea and large-bowel
> bleeding)!

ah, yes. you are right! i guess i mean it doesn't produce anaphylaxis.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS1 20th august 2002

"In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul."
--Lisa T. Shepherd